• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile 2 unveiled tonight (11pm UK / 3pm PT / 6pm ET)

Orbital2060

I bought PoE back in 2016 or something. And while I enjoyed the gameplay a lot, the mtx in the game is maybe the worst, or most egregious, of the kind that Ive ever seen. Small bits of armor and weapon skins at outrageous prices. Like one item priced at between 100-200 dollars. For some stupid shit. And as I played and levelled up, I kept running into other players in the most colorful and cool looking armor, while everything I could find and acquire through playing looked worn out and rusted.

The skill system was pretty cool, though. And its a decent Diablo clone, in the gameplay. But the whole situation with what you got from playing compared to what you had to buy made me stop playing the game at some point. And I dont usually get hung up on that, if the game is good enough. But this was bad, really bad. And now theyre owned by Tencent, which doesnt exactly inspire confidence in changes to the predatory mtx in the first game.

cd306b89327639027e17761835f2e576.gif

Puscifer

I bought PoE back in 2016 or something. And while I enjoyed the gameplay a lot, the mtx in the game is maybe the worst, or most egregious, of the kind that Ive ever seen. Small bits of armor and weapon skins at outrageous prices. Like one item priced at between 100-200 dollars. For some stupid shit. And as I played and levelled up, I kept running into other players in the most colorful and cool looking armor, while everything I could find and acquire through playing looked worn out and rusted.

The skill system was pretty cool, though. And its a decent Diablo clone, in the gameplay. But the whole situation with what you got from playing compared to what you had to buy made me stop playing the game at some point. And I dont usually get hung up on that, if the game is good enough. But this was bad, really bad. And now theyre owned by Tencent, which doesnt exactly inspire confidence in changes to the predatory mtx in the first game.
How can you buy what's free

Orbital2060

How can you buy what's free
I bought a console edition with some custom stuff, and ingame currency. Just to support the devs.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Looks like a nice upgrade (visual fidelity) to PoE 1. Hopefully the first campaign (PoE 1) will benefit from the updates that the new campaign will launch with.

drotahorror

Pretty hype I suppose. Hope it's a bit more casual than current PoE, but please don't give it the D3/D4 treatment. Please have meaningful and in depth endgame. Along with more varied builds than D4 (this can't be hard).

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
currently watching the Exilecon stream and this looks fucking AMAZING.

So much better than Diablo 4 in terms of mechanics. Like it's night and day. Late game looks insane.

Closed Beta is coming June 2024.

Last edited:

amigastar

currently watching the Exilecon stream and this looks fucking AMAZING.

So much better than Diablo 4 in terms of mechanics. Like it's night and day. Late game looks insane.

Closed Beta is coming June 2024.

Really? Closed Beta in June 2024? That's later than i've thought, damn.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Weird as it is, but I always disliked how the flasks looked in PoE. It was just ugly. Reminds me of those large oddly shaped water bottles that are hard to hold.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fuck me that looked 11/10

A shame over 2024

Fuz

Banned
Let me know if there's an AH, easier respec and no XP penality on death, or it's still an anachronistic mess.

Last edited:

Moneal

June 2024 ugh. And that's for the closed beta. Hoping it was a lot closer than that, to be honest.
Yep. I even heard some groans in the crowd when it was announced. Every poe content creator I watch thought the latest for the beta would be January.

It looked like skills are class based more like Diablo. If that's the case, I'll stick to PoE1.

MiguelItUp

POE2 looks absolutely insane. Sure it's a year away, but man, it looks outstanding. I still can't believe how bad Blizz has fumbled with D IV, lol.

Moneal

I have lost all my hype for PoE2. The beta date, separate games, and skills are class-based are all bad to me. The only thing I liked about this reveal was the weapon swap system.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I think a lot of what they shared at exilecon has me worried about PoE2 in the long run .

*Chris Wilson is NOT at the helm.
*The guy at the helm does NOT play PoE.
*Original plan for PoE2 to be like a giga expansion added onto PoE1 is no longer the plan.
*A lot more slowed down gameplay being shown, and rooting like D4 from enemies to lock you into place.
*Game is likely still years away.

—-

The trailer is hype. I’ll play day one, but what went from a no worried guarantee incredible game is now filled with several clouds of doubt.

Part of me thinks they don’t have full confidence in the product either so they’re holding onto PoE1 so they can fall back on it in case PoE2 is received by the players as bad. Or use PoE1 as a money bank until they can get PoE2 in good shape years after release.

Something stinks….

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Dungeons being flooded in real time looks so good, packs of enemies everywhere. This looks so much better and fun than D4, its not even funny.

Jormatar

Does this have the same horrible talent forest they had POE1? That's so off-putting for new players like myself.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
Coming from a huge Diablo fan, this looks absolutely amazing, but PoE has always been rather difficult to get into. As shallow as the endgame tends to be, Diablo always did a great job at drip feeding its mechanics to new players. It's easy to learn and very accessible. PoE on the other hand drowns new players with its complexity and unappoligetically expects them to go out and watch hour long guides on YouTube to learn how to play or go download and instal third party loot filter software, etc ...

Again, PoE 2 looks sick af ... but I hope they invested significant dev time making it friendlier for new players or it will remain a niche game (despite being probably the best arpg since D2).

I wonder if it will suffer from the same problem as PoE where despite having a huge skill tree, only certain paths will actually allow you proceed through the game.

Hudo

praising how polished Diablo 4 looked before release
I'm not trying to stir shit up. Is that really the case? I know that me and my friends were unimpressed of what was shown of Diablo 4. We all bought it regardless. And after playing some hours, I actually got interested in Diablo 1 (which I haven't played before). And genuinely had more fun with that. But that's just me.

I'm not trying to stir shit up. Is that really the case? I know that me and my friends were unimpressed of what was shown of Diablo 4. We all bought it regardless. And after playing some hours, I actually got interested in Diablo 1 (which I haven't played before). And genuinely had more fun with that. But that's just me.
The first Diablo is an amazing game, it's my favorite in the series.

Tomeru

I think a lot of what they shared at exilecon has me worried about PoE2 in the long run .

*Chris Wilson is NOT at the helm.
*The guy at the helm does NOT play PoE.
*Original plan for PoE2 to be like a giga expansion added onto PoE1 is no longer the plan.
*A lot more slowed down gameplay being shown, and rooting like D4 from enemies to lock you into place.
*Game is likely still years away.

—-

Something stinks….

I'd like your reasoning as to why Jonathan Rogers helming poe2 is bad. He is one of the founders of ggg.

Poe2 being seperate from Poe is how it should be. Both games are different, and turning Poe into Poe2 means Poe will be gone (among other reasons). Seperating them is good.

What rooting? The whole reveal had the player cc everything.

Stinks? Clean your room/house 💗

Hudo

The first Diablo is an amazing game, it's my favorite in the series.
I now understand what's so good about Diablo 1. Back then, I was firmly in the "Diablo II is the only thing that matters" camp. Now I see that Diablo 1 is a bit different from 2. It feels different, it's more methodical and slower. Makes it feel more "grounded" in a sense. Like I actually have some dread going deeper. I didn't feel this way in any other Diablo game. It's really cool.

Last edited:

drotahorror

I wonder if it will suffer from the same problem as PoE where despite having a huge skill tree, only certain paths will actually allow you proceed through the game.

I haven't really played PoE since breach league but then there were dozens of viable builds. I would assume that's still the case? D4 has what, 1 viable build per class? Some classes have 2?

I always thought build variety was one of PoE's strong suits.

Top Bottom