• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

Actually it seems that you're right. Other than PvP, you're able to play your characters through any gateway. It's only in PvP where you won't connect with players playing through other gateway servers.

Thats great. I figure that Europe will be my main realm being from Sweden but it always nice to have options.

Valnen

Still annoyed I had to make an autohotkey script to make this game playable for me. Game doesn't let you use some of the numpad for keybindings and I used the numpad exclusively for D3.

Decided not to do any of the pre-purchase things, especially since it's releasing today, so any value from the closed beta key is moot, but I'll probably end up buying $10-$15 worth points to spend on stuff within the next couple weeks if I decide I like the game enough.

Kiwi pet just not that appealing to me, even though I am sometimes a sucker for exclusive things.

Got into the closed beta today because I couldn't wait for tomorrow lol

Combat feels much better than it did the last time I played, back in August 2012, but it's still not perfect/D3. Movement can still be clunky due to click detection but overall it definitely feels smoother; I'm playing a melee class though (Marauder), haven't tried ranged although I've generally heard they control better. I've been watching Kripp play the game a bit over the last week or two just to get back into the world of the game, and I gotta say I'm super hyped. I really can't wait for the weekend, when I'll have a shit ton of time to sink into this.

I look forward to seeing what changes the open beta patch makes, and I definitely like what I've seen thus far. Did a prison area which was quite impressive, and had a great boss fight; the fog of war effect is great in dungeons and really ensures you'll run into a bunch of mobs. And the game is actually tough. Ranged mobs can really fuck you up. And Necromancers...oh boy, I like.

mileS

Hey everyone.

After playing a bit of beta. Reading the forums for a long time. Listening to Chris talk about the game and what the team is doing in interviews on streams and stuff. I have decided to show my support buying the bronze pack. Even though money is tight at this time of year for me, it just feels right.

For the people that want to get a head start downloading the game tomorrow. Or possibly get an hour or two of play in depending when the servers go down... I'll post 3 keys for the first people to grab. Seeing as how you don't have to download a completely new client for tomorrow it will help by downloading early.

SHVJU-Y8WP2-UJRTD-ZE8HD
SH9B9-48FU2-WSP4R-7RYZE
SH9JW-W89CC-T82SP-UU2R7

enjoy :)

Look forward to following this thread and playing with some of ya'll. Happy hunting.

KKRT00

Still annoyed I had to make an autohotkey script to make this game playable for me. Game doesn't let you use some of the numpad for keybindings and I used the numpad exclusively for D3.

Its on a list to do. Same goes for better weapon switching and skill management there.

Zanosuke

How can I change mouse 3 (scrollwheel) to mouse button 4? It's annoying to cast spells with the scrollwheel because you zoom in and out by accident..

KKRT00

How can I change mouse 3 (scrollwheel) to mouse button 4? It's annoying to cast spells with the scrollwheel because you zoom in and out by accident..

You cant right now, but it will change as i wrote in earlier post. They know about that and they want to fix it, they havent got a time for that yet, but they will have more after Open Beta launches and they fix critical issues in first few weeks.

---
Whats Your prediction for premium stash upgrade? I would buy few upgrades just for item sorting, but if it will be more expensive than one stash tab, i would rather buy a stash tab, but for 10-15 points i would gladly upgrade few stashes.

Ps. Did You know that they only have one Animator in the team? :>

I like changes, i just hope that Chaos damage wont rape us :p

mileS

apparently you can't bind side mouse buttons or re-bind the scroll up or down yet. This is being changed soon. It might not make it in tomorrow but it will be patched in asap.

btw the dance animations are up on the official youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hAmYe31rAY lol awesome

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Woke up with the biggest headache, nausea, cough and pain in my stomach.

Why does this always happen to me? I chunked a bunch of pills (don't worry, I'm not gonna die) and I'm drinking a lot of water/juice. Hopefully that'll fix me up quickly...

Wallach

Got into the closed beta today because I couldn't wait for tomorrow lol

Combat feels much better than it did the last time I played, back in August 2012, but it's still not perfect/D3. Movement can still be clunky due to click detection but overall it definitely feels smoother; I'm playing a melee class though (Marauder), haven't tried ranged although I've generally heard they control better. I've been watching Kripp play the game a bit over the last week or two just to get back into the world of the game, and I gotta say I'm super hyped. I really can't wait for the weekend, when I'll have a shit ton of time to sink into this.

I look forward to seeing what changes the open beta patch makes, and I definitely like what I've seen thus far. Did a prison area which was quite impressive, and had a great boss fight; the fog of war effect is great in dungeons and really ensures you'll run into a bunch of mobs. And the game is actually tough. Ranged mobs can really fuck you up. And Necromancers...oh boy, I like.

Yeah, I really enjoy the balance as far as I've played. There's not that sense of wasting time on normal difficulty that there is in a lot of ARPGs, it's engaging difficulty-wise right out of the gate.

I'm not sure what to make of the patch changes yet. I kind of wanted to start DW Duelist but that might be something that is more rewarding down the line since they seem to be planning Duelist changes fairly soon. Might wind up doing something else instead tomorrow and put that off until I see what they do.

Woke up with the biggest headache, nausea, cough and pain in my stomach.

Why does this always happen to me? I chunked a bunch of pills (don't worry, I'm not gonna die) and I'm drinking a lot of water/juice. Hopefully that'll fix me up quickly...

What are you hoping to achieve from all this?

R1CHO

I am actually exited for the open beta, even if the last time i played it was in September.

What is not to be exited about it? Not only this game is a steep forward on the genre, but also the best example of f2p quality game without compromises i can think of.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

KPJZKC

<Attenborough> Tensions in the pack riding high the day before open beta...</Attenborough>

Thoroughly looking forward to this, fingers crossed proxy/campus internet won't make it unplayable.

R1CHO

How does payment work in the game? What do I pay for?

Cosmetic: Cosmetic pets, cosmetic visual effects on the weapons/skills, cosmetic dances etc.

Game content: More character slots, more stash space.

Future extra stuff: Design a weapon (like the diamond preorder packs), create private leagues etc.

Yoshichan

How does payment work in the game? What do I pay for?
Micro-transactions such as extra storage space, (non-battle) pets, special emoticons, stuff that are "cool" looking for your character etc.

Looking forward to giving this a shot. Going to play hardcore, but not sure what kind of character to try.. which is a good thing I guess. In D3 it was obvious that for hardcore you should just play a barb and stack as much defense as possible. But in this Kripp was saying that there is stuff in the game which is untankable..

So I'm thinking I might try a summoner hybrid of some kind, with plenty of Ehp + minions to distract attention. From there Im not sure what sort of main attack I might use.

Are there any enrage timers in this game? Do the enemies regen life at a rate that requires your dps to be high?

Wallach

Looking forward to giving this a shot. Going to play hardcore, but not sure what kind of character to try.. which is a good thing I guess. In D3 it was obvious that for hardcore you should just play a barb and stack as much defense as possible. But in this Kripp was saying that there is stuff in the game which is untankable..

So I'm thinking I might try a summoner hybrid of some kind, with plenty of Ehp + minions to distract attention. From their Im not sure what sort of main attack I might use.

Are there any enrage timers in this game? Do the enemies regen life at a rate that requires your dps to be high?

There are no enrage timers. Enemies are only capable of regenerating life as the result of an ability; some will have it as a passive skill, others will get it from auras, leech, curses, etc. I don't believe there is any form of base regen for anything in the game (including players).

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Will this beta be feature complete? In the sense that there's a beginning and end to the game as much as a Diablo-esque game has an 'end'?

TGMIII

Will this beta be feature complete? In the sense that there's a beginning and end to the game as much as a Diablo-esque game has an 'end'?

You can currently play up to Act 3 but there is one more planned Act that will tie up the story. They still plan on adding acts in the future after this.

Perkel

Banned

It will be like diablo 2. Act 3 is essentially act 4 of diablo. It is complete. But at the same time they can add other acts.

KKRT00

Alrighty, sounds great, hoping to do some downsampling and all that.

OGSSAA works flawlessly and i have 150fps+ most of the time on gtx 560, in 1920x1536@1280x1024 + 4xMSAA with post processing off [doesnt do much, except for bloom, but takes up to 20-30% fps]. Game supports MSAA up to 8.
My friend plays on 4570 i ts6600 2.2ghz d2c and some people here plays on HD4000 comfortably.
Game uses my GPU in almost 100%, so my fan gets really loud, but i'll see if limiting fps to 60 will help in Open Beta ;p [i havent tested this yet]

About gameplay, it has 3 acts and 3 difficulties. Normal playthrough should take up to 8-10h to finish for new a player. After 3 difficulties You can play on end-game map system, so random generated zones with different npcs and set of rules that You can customize to make it harder but also more rewarding in terms of loot. Look up first post for more details.

You mean me getting sick (probably because it's 71 degrees/22 Celsius) isn't fun? Thanks, I had no clue!

Don't you die on me Yosh! Don't you die on meeeee!

Looking forward to playing more later, I wanted to work on my Witch last night but felt it was kinda pointless at this point.

Top Bottom