• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile (F2P Loot Hack 'n Slash) Open beta later this year

Emitan

Kyaw said:
Ooh awesome. Can you post screenshots and stuff?

I think you can by asking the dev's permission, right?
Yeah, once it's downloaded I'll start taking screenshots and maybe some videos and get permission.

KKRT00

Billychu said:
I got chosen. Holy shit.
Damn :p I'm not, but congrats.

The M.O.B said:
:(

Congrats, tell us if it's good.
Oh trust me, its awesome. I watched hours of gameplays and it really is something. I think that this game can dethrone D3, not in popularity, but in terms of hardcore community. Its really deep and well planned. Still love both games and will play them for hundreds hours.

Emitan

Took some screenshots of the beginning area and sent the imgur album to Chris (one of the project leads) to ask permission to post a link here. The game looks really great on max settings. I actually had to bump the AA down a bit to run it at a locked 60 FPS, but I'm assuming that's just a lack of optimization that'll get fixed down the road. Playing at 1080p isn't helping though!

KKRT00

Billychu said:
Took some screenshots of the beginning area and sent the imgur album to Chris (one of the project leads) to ask permission to post a link here. The game looks really great on max settings. I actually had to bump the AA down a bit to run it at a locked 60 FPS, but I'm assuming that's just a lack of optimization that'll get fixed down the road. Playing at 1080p isn't helping though!
You sent it via PM or via email? I need to write to him too, because he needs to send trailers and info about game to eurogamer and gamersyde, they dont know even that it exists!

BTW what specs do You have? And Are You talking about 60 fps in combat?

Emitan

Via PM.

Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz
nVidia GX 560 Ti

I was getting frame drops both in and out of combat, but I had 8x AA on and the area I was in has very nice weather effects.

The M.O.B

Big Papa Husker said:
Anywhere that I could get a key? I'm interested in trying this.

Nope, all you can do is register at their website and hope you get picked.

They will also be giving out keys at PAX Prime this year.

KKRT00

Billychu said:
I disagree with last screen. 4 tabs are definitely too low, it should be about 10 or so.
4 tabs allow only for making 7-8 character build, without taking into the account different sets of items for one build or items for sell. Game allows to make 24 chars and dont allow for respec. I really need to push this topic on the game board.

BTW game looks beautiful, but i think they should crank up polys on players class models - 1500 is very low.

Emitan

yo_soy_el_topo said:
Hey grats on the invite! We should hook up and play some quests in game sometime. Grouped for the first time last night and it was a blast.
What's your character's name? I'm only level 9 right now.

Valnen

Billychu said:
There is minor respecing. It's extremely limited though.
Ouch. Not going to play an RPG with extremely limited respeccing in this day and age. Bad choice on their part.

KKRT00

Kyaw said:
Uploads 1080p images...

onto Imgur...

:p

Compression sucks on Imgur dude, use Minus.com or Abload.de
Its not that bad till You're uploading max quality JPG, but its bad if You're trying to upload PNG/BMP directly.

Emitan

Kyaw said:
Uploads 1080p images...

onto Imgur...

:p

Compression sucks on Imgur dude, use Minus.com or Abload.de
http://minus.com/mblfOOvJOh

KKRT00 said:
BTW game looks beautiful, but i think they should crank up polys on players class models - 1500 is very low.

I don't think having 1,500 polygons is a big deal. Once you're not looking at the class selection screen you can't really notice.

yo_soy_el_topo said:
Eegah - think I hit 14 last night
Level 16 according to /whois

Kyaw

Thanks for the pngs!

Game looks super great. The updated UI is awesome too.

How does it play though? Responsive-ness and content?

Man, i would pay for this game! o.o

KKRT00

Billychu said:
I don't think having 1,500 polygons is a big deal. Once you're not looking at the class selection screen you can't really notice.
Yes, its not a problem now, but they'll want to allow for zoom in [and maybe out] :)

Emitan

Kyaw said:
How does it play though? Responsive-ness and content?Man, i would pay for this game! o.o
It's very responsive, but I have been having issues with attacking with the ranger class. I'll just quote a post I made on the beta forums:
I've played Titan Quest: Immortal Throne for about 9 hours this weekend before dropping it the second I received my beta invite today, and I noticed that I was having some issues with aiming with the Ranger class after playing TQ as a Hunter (bow class). I have two complaints and I think TQ handles both of these perfectly: shift+click attacking and enemy mouseover "hitboxes".

Enemy mousever hitboxes
In TQ it is very easy for me to, while moving, click on an enemy to begin attacking them because the game basically interprets a mouseclick near an enemy as clicking on them. This is useful for rangers because we rely on kiting enemies which means we're constantly switching between clicking on different parts of the screen and accuracy is hard to maintain.
Currently in Path of Exile I have to click exactly on an enemy to attack them. What this means is that most of the time when I attack an enemy while moving I end up running next to them instead of attacking. I end up taking a lot more damage than I should because I'm not performing the actions I'm trying to execute. The mouse cursor should be more lenient when trying to click on an enemy. The beta manifesto states that a custom mouse cursor will be in the game soon, which should help for visibility of the mouse when frantically kiting an enemy.

Shift Attacking
In TQ holding Shift and then moving the mouse cursor around the screen basically lets you aim and loose in any direction. When you mouseover an enemy, the game acts like you clicked on them and attacks them. PoE does this. But! In TQ when that enemy dies, the normal shift click behavior comes back and you will either target a new enemy or loose at the mouse cursor. In PoE once you mouseover an enemy the game treats it like you've clicked on them, but you need to shft click again to start firing. This makes dealing with large groups of mobs a bit more difficult.

I don't presume that I know anything about the game's code, but I would estimate that these two fixes would be a simple way to make the class a lot more fun to play.

KKRT00

Could You also post link to the topic on their board?

Damn i would kill for basic auto-attack option in this games, it really dont change how skilled based is gameplay, but just less annoy with clicking like a crazy.

Emitan

KKRT00 said:
Could You also post link to the topic on their board?

Damn i would kill for basic auto-attack option in this games, it really dont decrease skill, but just less annoy with clicking like a crazy.
It's in the beta tester only forums. I don't think peasants can view it :p

Yea, beta is really good and really fun to play in parties. Have to say its harder to find people that want to party up, but I think its partly because they haven't fleshed out a system for it yet. You can show screen shots no problem; I streamed it, just had to ask the devs first.

Edit: add me, the name is "esoteric", just whisper me that you're gaf and we'll kill it.

Emitan

Partied with someone to beat the boss of Act 1. It was awesome. He was a Templar and just ran around in circle while I poisoned the boss and kept shooting till she dropped. Teamwork!

Hey Billychu, sorry I didn't respond earlier for the group. I was letting a friend try out the game and didn't want to yank it from him. Next time definitely! This game is really picking up. Just got some sick new 2hand club + skills.

KKRT00

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Don't worry; there's a lot of unfinished stuff going on; if you get in a month or two it'll be a fuller experience.
Its amazing that there are 5 classes and about 20 active skills + 720 and it gives so many different build, but guys from GGG are making 2 other classes and additional 80+ active skills and new passives! This game will be so deep, i dont even know how will they balance it. ;p

Ps. Where the fuck is my key? ;\

@AllIsOneIsNone
I've already posted on forums, now i can only watch the timer :p

KKRT00 said:
Its amazing there are 4 classes and about 20 active skills + 720 and it gives so many different build, but guys from GGG are making 2 other classes and additional 80+ active skills and new passives! This game will be so deep, i dont even know how will they balance it. ;p

Ps. Where the fuck is my key? ;\

Yep, 100 active skills would be crazy! I think their method is to add things slowly; I've already seen them change the ui within the short time I've been playing. As for your key, I heard if you post on the forum you have a better chance of getting in. This doesn't sound likely, but hey, couldn't hurt right?

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Holy shit! this is F2P?? Looks exactly how I imagined Diablo 3!
I also feel a strong Demon's Souls vibe, and I like it. Witch is looking awesome, will definetly play as one!

Emitan

yo_soy_el_topo said:
Hey Billychu, sorry I didn't respond earlier for the group. I was letting a friend try out the game and didn't want to yank it from him. Next time definitely! This game is really picking up. Just got some sick new 2hand club + skills.
No problem. We should be closer in level now anyway.

Emitan

I might stream this today. The only streaming service I've used is Livestream. Should I use another website (preferably with free and easy to use software)?

Kyaw

Go for it then! :)

I'll be sure to watch it. Maybe show some higher level areas, not the starting areas.

Ranger or witch would be fine.

Emitan

Kyaw said:
Go for it then! :)

I'll be sure to watch it. Maybe show some higher level areas, not the starting areas.

Ranger or witch would be fine.
I just got into Act 2 so I can show that. Just be warned that it's not as polished as Act 1. For example in Act 1 there are several different people who give you quests. In Act 2 some placeholder guy just tells you to kill all the bosses. Don't take this section of the game as the quality of the whole.

Top Bottom