• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Furio53

It does. (Some outdated info there, for sure, but you get the idea.)

The added quantity per party member used to be really helpful for added map drops, but that's become unnecessary, leaving mostly downsides. Some people now run with a dedicated support character, but you generally don't see full groups any more outside of leveling or people paying for boss kills.

Ah ok. Thanks for the info! I'm only on act 4 but would be down to play with others through the new content. I just get annoyed when people join your party and just start running off ahead or doing their own thing :(

Xeteh

Something about how gearing works in PoE escapes me. I can't seem to balance resists and sockets and everything else I need. I got to Act 6 and I'm getting destroyed, its frustrating.

Cels

is there no new trading system in place with 3.0? i thought that was one of the biggest goals GGG had, especially with the new xb1 version. still gotta use poe.trade?

Dahbomb

Something about how gearing works in PoE escapes me. I can't seem to balance resists and sockets and everything else I need. I got to Act 6 and I'm getting destroyed, its frustrating.
Well for starters, don't try to get any chaos resistance. Even if you are -30% that's fine.

If you are above 50% on res in act 6 that's fine. You can find other ways to get some tankiness, since you are in act 6 you have all the gems available to you now.

Here are ways to get some tankiness:

*Use a Melee skill for movement (Whirling Blade, Leap Slam, Shield Charge) and attach Fortify to it. If you are using Leap Slam you even attach Endurance Charge on Melee stun for extra tankiness. You can attach Blood Magic as the final link so you can spam the skill without worrying about mana.

*Combine Warlords Mark with Blasphemy for an aura that gives you a ton of life and mana leech along with Endurance charges on kill. On the flip side you can also combine Temporal Chains with Blasphemy to slow down enemies considerably.

Remember that color sockets work based on the item, so don't try to get all greens on an intelligence/blue item especially early on, you will be throwing away your handful of chromes.

*Defensive flasks are good to have. You should have freeze, curse and bleed immunity on your flasks. You should also have Basalt flask and/or Granite/Jade flask as well for defense along with offensive ones like Silver/Sulfur flasks. You don't need 3 life flasks, you can make do with just one. It's easy to craft flask and they can hold you off even into the end game.

*Attach Immortal call to cast on damage taken along with another defense skill like Vortex and/or a golem or curse. Immortal call can save your ass a lot.

*If that's not enough, get more auras like Purity of Elements or defensive auras like Arctic Armor.

*Make sure your leech and/or regen/recharge is up to snuff as well, can't be relying just on flasks for sustain.

Though in my experience, if your damage is good enough you can kill them and flask/leech your way through the pain at this stage of the game.

If you are still having trouble then there is probably an issue with your build in general. Most people don't have enough life/ES in this stage of the game which hurts them the most.

Good advice by Dahbomb, but to put it in more generic terms:

Defensive stats > damage stats. Always prioritise defensive stats. It's easy to scale down defences (like resists) in favour of damage, but it's hard to upgrade your defences if you find them lacking. This also applies to your passive tree btw, you need to include a lot of +life% passives etc in your build. Something like +200% increased life is a good goal, but what stats you want will depend on your build.

When it comes to defensive stats:
Resists (elemental) > life > everything else

Ragona

Any chance for a guild invite?:)
ign: Cypie

havnt played in 3 years or so, but used to play 400 hours back then and yay iam addicted again.

kafiend

The first couple of maps in Act 6 were incredibly annoying with the flame totem spam. Past that part and it was a lot easier. That and the initial gear drops with resists were awful.

Cerity

If you're really having trouble with getting resists, pickup/buy a two tone ring and alt-spam/alch it a few times. It's pretty easy to roll 40-50% on two diff resists on each ring, which is a huge boost early on.

Beat A10 last night, Kitava was a bit tricky with all that DoT and all those wide AoE attacks, still managed to get through with less than average deaths though. It'd be a terrifying fight on HC.

Also fuck those prox shield ST guys. They gave me way more grief than kitava did.

Xyber

Finished act 10 last night, ended up dying 5 times to him because I always got caught in a bad spot when he use fire everywhere. :p

Only boss that I had any real problems with, some were a bit slow to kill though because my single target damage isn't all that great right now.

squidyj

I think in going to respec my RF to Juggernaut. Zerker is nice for farming maps, but I want to farm Uber with it and that increased 10% damage taken makes dealing with traps and Izaro pretty difficult. Damage is great though and clear speed is good for maps. But I don't want to focus on mapping yet.

Someone posted on Reddit that they had a 10 key Uber runs. That's insane.

Also I'd like an invite to get guild. Character name is HoffellRF and my account name is SparkleMotion.

I had an 8 key run. I was disappointed i wasnt able to get +2 from the chest to make it 10 keys. Other than that running lab on my warchief zerker has been quick easy and profitable, even with abyssus equipped the whole time.

Several hundred hours in PoE and I'm still learning. 2 TIL from yesterday:

1) https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Quality
- White items increase 5% per quality. Very important when crafting maps for example. And flasks. 4 chisels used vs 20 is a big difference.
- Quality improves crafting results with sockets and links (!!!!). 20% quality = 20% better socket and link results.

2) Finally found a proper use for my quad tab: I started doing the chaos orb recipe. Difference is significant. I spend more time with inventory tetris, but I got 8 of my 10 chaos orbs from yesterday with the chaos recipe. I also learned that at least for that one session, amulets are the most rare item base to get yellow drops from, followed by rings, followed by everything else. Weapons and body armor are most common.

Last league would have been so much easier if I had known these things then.

Gothos

Kitava fight is bullshit (Act 10). Mostly because many times you just don't see what attack he makes/where he makes it. If they wanna put us in such cramped space zoom the fuck out the game so I can actually see what the boss does. In general I hate when GGG puts is no such small space durong boss fights and throws shit ton of aoe on top of it. Just awful design.

Dahbomb

Act 10 boss definitely seems hella tuned. Only died once before him (the bull fight in act 7) and then died 4 times on him alone.

Just starting this game out.

What is a good class/build to start with?

I usually enjoy playing Rogue/Archer in MMOs, but this is different. Prefer one with not a lot of gun n run playstyle.

Does starting class change what tree we have access to?

Passive skill tree is shared by all classes, class just determines where in the passive skill tree you start. However there are subclasses available ("Ascendancy") that have exclusive passives.

Dahbomb

Just starting this game out.

What is a good class/build to start with?

I usually enjoy playing Rogue/Archer in MMOs, but this is different. Prefer one with not a lot of gun n run playstyle.

Does starting class change what tree we have access to?
Lots of new people play and have success with the couple of Duelist - Slayer builds like Earthquake and Cyclone. These days people are using Sunder as the flavor of the month. Slayer builds do reliable damage and sustain through powerful leech.

Xyber

Act 10 boss definitely seems hella tuned. Only died once before him (the bull fight in act 7) and then died 4 times on him alone.

Would suck a bit to go in blind on hardcore, since pretty much everything up to him is way easier so you think you are fairly safe. Then the big bed of fire hits 🔥

I'd like to invite you guys but we are maxed out on members right now. KKRT needs to do some spring cleaning so we can take on the new influx of players.

Wallach

Trying out Oros flickerstrike + multi-strike. game spazzes out because of how fast the guy teleports around.

My next character is gonna be a Terminus Est Flicker build. Probably Slayer again. Flicker Strike is super fun and I've only done it once before back near the start of Legacy. It's a really fun "Jesus take the wheel" kind of build once you have it rolling (and to be fair obliterates maps faster than most any other build I've ever played).

I can't believe I managed to first try complete the Endgame Labyrinth with a Duelist. I had so much trouble with it as an Assassin Frostbolt/Freezing Pulse spellcaster. I only had around 4.7k life for it too.

I can't believe I managed to first try complete the Endgame Labyrinth with a Duelist. I had so much trouble with it as an Assassin Frostbolt/Freezing Pulse spellcaster. I only had around 4.7k life for it too.

Stack as much phys reduction as possible. I'm at 70% phys reduction and it trivializes 99% of the lab.

That's what I did, not up to 70% though. Izaro can't handle the new Pantheon bonuses to physical damage reduction.

EDIT: Actually I didn't think about what my buffs are giving me. 15% Basalt + 12% Endurance charges would put me at 67% before Pantheon bonuses

KKRT00

Could I get a GAF guild invite pretty plz?

vehhnn

Any chance for a guild invite?:)
ign: Cypie

havnt played in 3 years or so, but used to play 400 hours back then and yay iam addicted again.
Invites sent.

----
I'd like to invite you guys but we are maxed out on members right now. KKRT needs to do some spring cleaning so we can take on the new influx of players.

I actually cleared few acccounts :), so i'm repeating my previous post:

Guys, i kicked few people out of Guild, because we were full.
I dont know if those accounts were active or not, due to lack of info in menu, so if i kicked somebody active, please let me know!

Also request for all guild member. Please add to your description info 3.0(Active) or something like that, so i will be sure that you are active.

Xeteh

Well for starters, don't try to get any chaos resistance. Even if you are -30% that's fine.

If you are above 50% on res in act 6 that's fine. You can find other ways to get some tankiness, since you are in act 6 you have all the gems available to you now.

Here are ways to get some tankiness:

*Use a Melee skill for movement (Whirling Blade, Leap Slam, Shield Charge) and attach Fortify to it. If you are using Leap Slam you even attach Endurance Charge on Melee stun for extra tankiness. You can attach Blood Magic as the final link so you can spam the skill without worrying about mana.

*Combine Warlords Mark with Blasphemy for an aura that gives you a ton of life and mana leech along with Endurance charges on kill. On the flip side you can also combine Temporal Chains with Blasphemy to slow down enemies considerably.

Remember that color sockets work based on the item, so don't try to get all greens on an intelligence/blue item especially early on, you will be throwing away your handful of chromes.

*Defensive flasks are good to have. You should have freeze, curse and bleed immunity on your flasks. You should also have Basalt flask and/or Granite/Jade flask as well for defense along with offensive ones like Silver/Sulfur flasks. You don't need 3 life flasks, you can make do with just one. It's easy to craft flask and they can hold you off even into the end game.

*Attach Immortal call to cast on damage taken along with another defense skill like Vortex and/or a golem or curse. Immortal call can save your ass a lot.

*If that's not enough, get more auras like Purity of Elements or defensive auras like Arctic Armor.

*Make sure your leech and/or regen/recharge is up to snuff as well, can't be relying just on flasks for sustain.

Though in my experience, if your damage is good enough you can kill them and flask/leech your way through the pain at this stage of the game.

If you are still having trouble then there is probably an issue with your build in general. Most people don't have enough life/ES in this stage of the game which hurts them the most.

Good advice by Dahbomb, but to put it in more generic terms:

Defensive stats > damage stats. Always prioritise defensive stats. It's easy to scale down defences (like resists) in favour of damage, but it's hard to upgrade your defences if you find them lacking. This also applies to your passive tree btw, you need to include a lot of +life% passives etc in your build. Something like +200% increased life is a good goal, but what stats you want will depend on your build.

When it comes to defensive stats:
Resists (elemental) > life > everything else

Thanks for writing all of that out, I've been following a build so I have a bunch of that already. A lot of my issues are coming from feeling like I'm missing something, I struggle to find the right gear with the right links much less both of those with the right stats. Its really frustrating.

The first couple of maps in Act 6 were incredibly annoying with the flame totem spam. Past that part and it was a lot easier. That and the initial gear drops with resists were awful.

Thats what was shitting on me, I got past them and you're right that it was a lot easier... those totems were annihilating me.

Rufus

I was just kicked to a short queue. I'm gonna assume it's because it's prime time in central Europe and the game is more popular than ever. Optimism!

Zelias

Banned
I'm in act 6 and getting slaughtered by bosses. I beat them, but I die way too easily. Guess I put too much priority on damage and not enough in survivability. Will have to fix that.

Xeteh

I'm in act 6 and getting slaughtered by bosses. I beat them, but I die way too easily. Guess I put too much priority on damage and not enough in survivability. Will have to fix that.

Yeah, I don't get how people do so well in Hardcore in this game. Death comes too fast.

Volodja

I was just kicked to a short queue. I'm gonna assume it's because it's prime time in central Europe and the game is more popular than ever. Optimism!
I keep getting disconnected when changing areas, it can be pretty annoying in the sections where you have a couple zones with no waypoint.

Got to Act 7 on my once HC templar. ; ; Act 6 was pretty easy. Honestly I was disappointed in the bosses, I only found the first boss challenging due to the totems. I face tanked the rest of them, lol. Hopefully Act 7 is better.

I will say though, going back to the old maps and seeing them change so drastically is a VERY nice feeling as a long time POE player.

Rufus

Yeah, I don't get how people do so well in Hardcore in this game. Death comes too fast.
This is how. The character is in act 8, about to do the last 3 boss fights. The first one this league (died to act 10 Kitava) wasn't as beefy, but still felt safe. This time around I just took all my HP nodes early and I think I have more HP on my gear. Damage is still good.
tXl9A9e.png

Wtf? I run at 250-300 fps. You're telling me if I group I'll get dips to sub 60?!
Shouldn't, now that adaptive resolution is implemented. Now I'm curios how low the res will go though.

Wtf? I run at 250-300 fps. You're telling me if I group I'll get dips to sub 60?!

I have Vsync on. Couldn't tell you. I run 400-500 fps with it off.

I have the game maxed out and there are times where there are 6 people with mtx abilities and it'll dip below 60 sometimes. But it's rare for me.

People with PCs not as good mine will have issues. I also have dynamic resolution turned off.

Volodja

By knowing how to build defenses effectively, prioritizing health nodes and knowing attack patterns so that incoming damage is as limited as possible.
First of all, once you hit around Act 4 on you need to prioritize Elemental resistances a lot, you need to keep them capped or as close to that as possible, you can even sacrifice some damage for it (not too much, as kill speed is a good defensive method as well). Then you focus on life on all your gear and your chosen defensive stat, but in case of physical damage you can also use stuff like Cast when damage taken + Immortal Call + Increased Duration as a panic save method.
Then you need to know what kind of Flasks are needed for certain fights, especially a Bleed Removal one in certain situations or which ones to use to mitigate some of your defensive issues.

Dahbomb

It's going to take a while for people to get used to the next act boss mechanics but once it's done it shouldn't be a problem. In the Breach league I got up to 85 in Hardcore with a Berserker and I basically died to a volatile. Volatile are a lot easier to avoid now which makes hardcore in general easier.

I think right now hardest part on hardcore is act 10 boss. He also holds two skill points so you have to beat him sooner or later.

Baliis

It's going to take a while for people to get used to the next act boss mechanics but once it's done it shouldn't be a problem. In the Breach league I got up to 85 in Hardcore with a Berserker and I basically died to a volatile. Volatile are a lot easier to avoid now which makes hardcore in general easier.

I think right now hardest part on hardcore is act 10 boss. He also holds two skill points so you have to beat him sooner or later.

He also unlocks maps so you have to kill him eventually lol.

Zynx

Guys, i kicked few people out of Guild, because we were full.
I dont know if those accounts were active or not, due to lack of info in menu, so if i kicked somebody active, please let me know!

Also request for all guild member. Please add to your description info 3.0(Active) or something like that, so i will be sure that you are active.

KKRT00, you can now mouse-hover a name in the social panel to see when they last logged in so you can see who's been inactive for a long time before kicking.

KKRT00, you can now mouse-hover a name in the social panel to see when they last logged in so you can see who's been inactive for a long time before kicking.

When I looked last night, the list is time sorted due to activity/inactivity. Anyone on the bottom is fair game

FiraB

Banned
Even though the game runs at really high fps, I feel like there is some stutter sometimes. Anyone else experience that?

Yeah you will get that even if your running at 400fps sadly, happens to everyone.

Its the bane of HC existence, stutter can kill.

Tom Penny

This is how. The character is in act 8, about to do the last 3 boss fights. The first one this league (died to act 10 Kitava) wasn't as beefy, but still felt safe. This time around I just took all my HP nodes early and I think I have more HP on my gear. Damage is still good.
tXl9A9e.png

Shouldn't, now that adaptive resolution is implemented. Now I'm curios how low the res will go though.

How you get so much life at that level?

Baliis

Even though the game runs at really high fps, I feel like there is some stutter sometimes. Anyone else experience that?

If you have the game set to Lockstep mode and you get any sort of latency spike it will cause the game to stutter, it might be that.

Rufus

How you get so much life at that level?
Basically took all HP early this time because I could. 204% inc life + 660 life on gear, with room to grow. Full Scion rectangle + Blood Magic cluster makes that easy. Was Sunder + Warchief until 55, then RF and Searing brotems. Twink 2Hs at the ready from a previous character meant I had no need for damage nodes.

The price for that beefiness is shit single target, especially against resistant monsters. Dual curse next level will help with that, then EO, then EE, then jewels. Basically, every node from here on out will be damage or pathing to damage.

Pretty fun to just bathe in the trash though, especially with the crazy mob density now. If I press my pots, I'm at 15k armour, 90% phys mitigation. :lol

Top Bottom