• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Orgun

Very nearly got my build to a point that I can run RF without losing health :)

Just a few more nodes of life regen.

Orgun

Grabbing vitality aura will help in the beginning too. Until you're able to get the 2% Regen lab enchant.

Yup, got that and Purity of Fire running. Soon as I get my second lab run complete i'll get regen per Endurance Charge and I can quite easily have five charges at once.

I see, thanks. I seem to have forgotten about those.

I'm at work and I'm almost having withdrawal symptoms. Video game addiction is real.

Dude. Same. After taking a four day weekend and binge gaming like haven't since highschool was a bad thing. All i want to do right now is play all day. But I work for next 6 days. This is going to be rough.

Also could I have an invite to GAF guild too please?

Account name is SparkleMotion and Character name is HoffellRF.

Yup, got that and Purity of Fire running. Soon as I get my second lab run complete i'll get regen per Endurance Charge and I can quite easily have five charges at once.

Do you have a ruby flask and a Rise of the Phoenix shield? Purity of Fire, Vitality, and Rise of the Phoenix alone should make it so you don't degen.

Orgun

Dude. Same. After taking a four day weekend and binge gaming like haven't since highschool was a bad thing. All i want to do right now is play all day. But I work for next 6 days. This is going to be rough.

Also could I have an invite to GAF guild too please?

Account name is SparkleMotion and Character name is HoffellRF.

Do you have a ruby flask and a Rise of the Phoenix shield? Purity of Fire, Vitality, and Rise of the Phoenix alone should make it so you don't degen.

Don't have a Ruby Flask yet, got a quicksilver with extra fire resist on for now. I'm on SSF so can't trade for a Rise of the Phoenix, gotta relly on luck :/

Don't have a Ruby Flask yet, got a quicksilver with extra fire resist on for now. I'm on SSF so can't trade for a Rise of the Phoenix, gotta relly on luck :/

I know you can farm the divination cards somewhere. I think it's either Solaris or lunaris area.

Sewers (busts) are now 1 area.

Warehouse zone was removed.

The Marketplace zone itself is technically shorter as well, because you start out at the sewer exit which is near the hall of statues, and the waypoint is in a fixed location you can't miss now saving a bit of exploration.

The Library can also be skipped since there's a new gem vendor, although I usually still have reason to go there when leveling a character in a new league.

Im planning on starting this game tonight.
Anyone have any guides or tips for a beginner?

The passive tree might be intimidating, but for a new character if you focus on mostly the area closest to your character, you should have a build that can clear the storyline.

Hit points are important to focus on, as are resistances on gear (passive tree and a particular quest reward option can help).

Kadin

We have some SRS pros in here, right? How exactly do you increase their damage as you're leveling? I'm following this guide and I'm not sure what I'm really supposed to equip, besides the god awful expensive helmet, to get more damage. I'm only 32 atm but so far the skill is rather... lackluster. I know it's popular with many so either this is just something I have to get through before it gets better, or it's simply not a build for me. Running to every group and then having to spam these spirits for a few seconds is def getting old.

I'm taking all the minion nodes that are in the build, that I can, and using "minion" related gems, is that all there is to boost their damage?

Quixzlizx

We have some SRS pros in here, right? How exactly do you increase their damage as you're leveling? I'm following this guide and I'm not sure what I'm really supposed to equip, besides the god awful expensive helmet, to get more damage. I'm only 32 atm but so far the skill is rather... lackluster. I know it's popular with many so either this is just something I have to get through before it gets better, or it's simply not a build for me. Running to every group and then having to spam these spirits for a few seconds is def getting old.

I'm taking all the minion nodes that are in the build, that I can, and using "minion" related gems, is that all there is to boost their damage?

How far into the game are you? With zombies and a 4L SRS (minion damage, minion speed, melee splash), I'm still chewing through trash mobs pretty well in act 5.

Kadin

I just started Act 4. I have the same gems you're using in my 4L chest. Maybe my expectation is just too much at this point. I know a lot of builds don't really kick in until very late, I'm just not sure how much better it will get because I don't see an easy way to bump up their damage output. As it is now, things seem to slowly take longer to kill, and I'm worried in another 20+ levels, it might get really bad. With the price of the Baron as high as it is, that's not in my foreseeable future.

Oh and I'm using a Brightbeak along with leap slam to try and get around at a decent speed.

Did a couple more Uber runs before work this morning. Had a 9 key run and a 7 key run. The new Uber lab loot is awesome. Making a profit on each run. So far I'm at least getting 15-20c profit per run, but I've had a couple 100+c profit runs if everything sells.

I just started Act 4. I have the same gems you're using in my 4L chest. Maybe my expectation is just too much at this point. I know a lot of builds don't really kick in until very late, I'm just not sure how much better it will get because I don't see an easy way to bump up their damage output. As it is now, things seem to slowly take longer to kill, and I'm worried in another 20+ levels, it might get really bad. With the price of the Baron as high as it is, that's not in my foreseeable future.

Oh and I'm using a Brightbeak along with leap slam to try and get around at a decent speed.

Currently doing T6-7 maps SRS, here is my standard easy and efficient leveling build:

Start: SRS + Melee splash. This is pretty much a requirement for SRS. You are very inefficient without it.
Add minion dmg + melee phys dmg support when you can

Build passive tree in this order, taking life/es nodes on the way as you feel like it:
1) "Lord of the Dead" minion cluster
2) "Death attunement" minion cluster
3) Minion cluster near templar start
4) "Gravepact" minion cluster
Consider Mind over Matter at some point

Do labs as soon as you can. Labs are critical for SRS. I can't stress this enough. I got "Commander of Darkness" necro first, 2nd lab I got "Mistress of Sacrifice".

Advice so far should be enough to take you to maps.

5) If you feel like it, at some point you can go east and take "Grave Intentions" -cluster but that's optional

I usually do merc lab soon after I started mapping, as soon as I get enough life and/or es. I get "Spirit eater" after merc lab.

After starting mapping, I usually do necromantic aegis + Victario's Charity for ~+50% minion damage. Some use 2h staff or bow for +3 socketed gem levels -bonus.

May not be THE optimal build but I can get up to guardians with it so eh, good enough. Damage is not the issue. How you survive enemy hits, is.

Kadin

Thanks a lot for the above. So with regards to gearing yourself, what are you prioritizing, just survival and resistances? From what I'm reading, no offensives bonuses seem to benefit minions unless specifically stated with "minion."

What other skills do you use in addition to SRS when leveling? I was using spell totem with skeletons but they're just so terribly slow.

Casting speed is your main offensive stat you can improve upon

Resistances (elemental) > Life > All other stats.

Zombies as your tanky minions. Add spectres if you have gem slots. Lightning golem for attack/cast speed for you and minions

Flesh offering for attack/cast/movement speed for your minions and after cruel lab, also for you

If you need resistance aura to keep max resistances, use it

I use flame dash + faster casting for movement

Desecrate for infinite corpses as you need them

Cast When Damage Taken + Immortal Call (lvl 1) + convocation for survivability

Spell totem + skellies at max serves as a distraction, I use decoy totem personally to save gem slots

Currently doing T6-7 maps SRS, here is my standard easy and efficient leveling build:

Start: SRS + Melee splash. This is pretty much a requirement for SRS. You are very inefficient without it.
Add minion dmg + melee phys dmg support when you can

Build passive tree in this order, taking life/es nodes on the way as you feel like it:
1) "Lord of the Dead" minion cluster
2) "Death attunement" minion cluster
3) Minion cluster near templar start
4) "Gravepact" minion cluster
Consider Mind over Matter at some point

Do labs as soon as you can. Labs are critical for SRS. I can't stress this enough. I got "Commander of Darkness" necro first, 2nd lab I got "Mistress of Sacrifice".

Advice so far should be enough to take you to maps.

5) If you feel like it, at some point you can go east and take "Grave Intentions" -cluster but that's optional

I usually do merc lab soon after I started mapping, as soon as I get enough life and/or es. I get "Spirit eater" after merc lab.

After starting mapping, I usually do necromantic aegis + Victario's Charity for ~+50% minion damage. Some use 2h staff or bow for +3 socketed gem levels -bonus.

May not be THE optimal build but I can get up to guardians with it so eh, good enough. Damage is not the issue. How you survive enemy hits, is.

And if you want I can give you a Merc lab carry earlier on if you're on SC I think I'm getting to the point damage wise where I can start carrying people through uberlab as well.

Once I get a decent horror/delirium craft I should be able to do Uber carries.

Hybris

Well after dying at 70+ 2 times already, I'm back up to 85 and was finally able to swap to CI (ED occultist). Going to start uber lab and boss farming for currency to go low life. One of my slowest league starts ever, oh well playing a lot more casually than I used to so I should manage my expectations.

The passive tree might be intimidating, but for a new character if you focus on mostly the area closest to your character, you should have a build that can clear the storyline.

Hit points are important to focus on, as are resistances on gear (passive tree and a particular quest reward option can help).
So Hit points and resistances over damage and mana are best when pathing?

Well after dying at 70+ 2 times already, I'm back up to 85 and was finally able to swap to CI (ED occultist). Going to start uber lab and boss farming for currency to go low life. One of my slowest league starts ever, oh well playing a lot more casually than I used to so I should manage my expectations.

This if my first league start with successful Uber farming and it's really good. I'm getting no less than 6 keys per run and I've even had a 10 key run last night. Very profitable right now. Though I wish I wouldn't have started with Zerker over Juggernaut. I had to waste 40c to respect Juggernaut. I know it's not amazing but after 5 runs and only selling a small portion of the loot so far, I've made 2.5 exalts off of it.

Baliis

This if my first league start with successful Uber farming and it's really good. I'm getting no less than 6 keys per run and I've even had a 10 key run last night. Very profitable right now. Though I wish I wouldn't have started with Zerker over Juggernaut. I had to waste 40c to respect Juggernaut. I know it's not amazing but after 5 runs and only selling a small portion of the loot so far, I've made 2.5 exalts off of it.

Nice, I'd never done Uber lab before now and I'm really enjoying it too. Sold a helm I enchanted with a wild strike enchant for an exalt, sold an ammy I got for an ex, sold multiple 30c jewels, got like 10 atziri sets, at least 2ex in selling high quality/level gems, plus tons of other stuff that's sold for 1-5c. Pretty happy with my results so far. I still need a kaoms heart though :(

Hybris

Yeah I saw the side stuff is actually worth doing now. Pretty exciting stuff!

Dahbomb

So Hit points and resistances over damage and mana are best when pathing?
Mana is pretty bad to get in general unless you are using something like a Mind over Matter build.

Also you don't want resistances on the skill tree either. You can get enough resistances on gear and jewel sockets. If there is an efficient resistance node along the way then get it otherwise don't go out of your way to get it. Late game people spec out of resistance nodes when they have achieved the caps.

Resistance and life/ES on armor pieces are a must.

Nice, I'd never done Uber lab before now and I'm really enjoying it too. Sold a helm I enchanted with a wild strike enchant for an exalt, sold an ammy I got for an ex, sold multiple 30c jewels, got like 10 atziri sets, at least 2ex in selling high quality/level gems, plus tons of other stuff that's sold for 1-5c. Pretty happy with my results so far. I still need a kaoms heart though :(

My loot and enchants have been pretty bad so far. I'm working on my own right now trying to enchant my kaoms roots with the 2% enchant then my helmet with the 40% increased RF enchant. I'm missing out on a ton currency right now because I've been so unlucky with.

Most of my stuff has been 1-5c with occasional 20-30c items. Haven't really gotten anything valuable out of it. Could get much better as my rng improves. (Hopefully)

Mana is pretty bad to get in general unless you are using something like a Mind over Matter build.

Also you don't want resistances on the skill tree either. You can get enough resistances on gear and jewel sockets. If there is an efficient resistance node along the way then get it otherwise don't go out of your way to get it. Late game people spec out of resistance nodes when they have achieved the caps.

So on the passive tree HP and class damage are the most important?

Sounds kind of straight forward.

Kadin

Casting speed is your main offensive stat you can improve upon

Resistances (elemental) > Life > All other stats.

Zombies as your tanky minions. Add spectres if you have gem slots. Lightning golem for attack/cast speed for you and minions

Flesh offering for attack/cast/movement speed for your minions and after cruel lab, also for you

If you need resistance aura to keep max resistances, use it

I use flame dash + faster casting for movement

Desecrate for infinite corpses as you need them

Cast When Damage Taken + Immortal Call (lvl 1) + convocation for survivability

Spell totem + skellies at max serves as a distraction, I use decoy totem personally to save gem slots
Thanks again for all the info. Adding the Zombies, Lightning Golem, Spell Echo at 38 and getting a 5L at 40 really helped take the build into a much more enjoyable run. I assumed it just took some time and it's a lot better now.

Rufus

I hate trading, I swear my entire experience with it is whispering someone and not getting an answer.
If it's something you really want/need, use "/whois <character name>" to see where they are. If it's a map, wait till they're in their hideout and try again. If it's lab, they won't respond and forget about you as well.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a time when you can just buy things from people's stash directly.

Dahbomb

So on the passive tree HP and class damage are the most important?

Sounds kind of straight forward.
It's straight forward starting out but when you are min maxing it kinda gets more complicated. You really need the overall picture of where your build is going, your ascendancy, items, skills etc. Basically the game plan you are going for and then making your tree around it.

And yeah you need Life and resistance on your gear too, otherwise all those HP nodes are useless.

I think for a new player, resists on tree might be worth getting if RNG isn't being very kind to the gear you're getting. I say this because some of the new acts are brutal and unkind if you don't have high resists. You can respec out of the nodes later.

Another thing I think needs mentioned, is that a lot of builds need to reach a certain number of attribute points to be able to use gear or gems and this can complicate a build that is trying to optimize their life and damage.

Just had the game hard crash my computer, and I'm curious if anybody's familiar enough with vsync / borderless windowed mode to chime in here.

When I turn vsync off and borderless windowed mode on, it stays at 144fps or below, just like it should. As soon as I tab out of the game, it climbs up to around 255fps and beyond. However, when I turn vsync on, it maintains its framerate cap determined by my monitor's refresh rate whether or not I'm tabbed in.

Anybody understand why the game wouldn't be doing the same thing untabbed as it's doing when tabbed? I thought Windows was supposed to enable triple buffering or something by default on anything not fullscreen?

If it's something you really want/need, use "/whois <character name>" to see where they are. If it's a map, wait till they're in their hideout and try again. If it's lab, they won't respond and forget about you as well.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a time when you can just buy things from people's stash directly.

Lately the trade API has been messed up an items that have been sold are still on poe.trade for like 30 minutes.

I've had a couple of sought after items that I got about 5 whispers a minute for about 30-45 minutes. After a while I get tired of whispering back sold. That and the price fixers are always bad early on in the league.

Kadin

Lately the trade API has been messed up an items that have been sold are still on poe.trade for like 30 minutes.

I've had a couple of sought after items that I got about 5 whispers a minute for about 30-45 minutes. After a while I get tired of whispering back sold. That and the price fixers are always bad early on in the league.
Yeah I literally spent 20 mins the other day buying a Brightbeak. The ones that were popping up for 1c, quite often, I would never get a response from. I then tried the 2c versions - nothing. Finally said to hell with it and bought a better one for 4c on the first attempt. Was my first time I whispered 15+ people with not a single response.

And this was using the instant notification so I don't think I wasn't getting beaten every single time.

Rufus

Ah. Well, that sucks. I should have thought of that, as it's happened in the past, but being in SSF completely isolated me from it this time around.

Yeah I literally spent 20 mins the other day buying a Brightbeak. The ones that were popping up for 1c, quite often, I would never get a response from. I then tried the 2c versions - nothing. Finally said to hell with it and bought a better one for 4c on the first attempt. Was my first time I whispered 15+ people with not a single response.

And this was using the instant notification so I don't think I wasn't getting beaten every single time.

I was having the same issue when I was trying to buy my Rise of the Phoenix on Saturday. I had live search going and was getting beat every time. Took me about four hours to get one that wasn't incredibly overpriced.

Wallach

For buying I recommend using a separate program that polls the API, poe.trade is really behind relative to the API info just due to load I think. I use the recent one released; it's called PoE ScamBot as a joke, but it's just a really simple indexer that ensures when it finds new listings they are actually fresh. I made some currency a couple days ago when poe.trade was slower just snapping up cheap Carnage Hearts before they ever even showed up on poe.trade with how far behind it was.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Did a couple more Uber runs before work this morning. Had a 9 key run and a 7 key run. The new Uber lab loot is awesome. Making a profit on each run. So far I'm at least getting 15-20c profit per run, but I've had a couple 100+c profit runs if everything sells.

Good to news to hear. This league and new patch is bringing in so much needed farming improvements.

Did four Uber lab runs today and had HORRIBLE drops. I maybe will make 5-10c off them. Probably going to lose money. No more runs today. This day gave me horrible rng. Back to maps.

Maybe my RNG wasn't too bad today. Bought an Essence of Horror for my RF. Got Two T1 resistances and a T2 life roll on it. I'll gladly take that for the four useless uberlab runs i had today. Though it did take 60 chaos worth of chromes to get the right colors.

That drastically helped the damage.

Baliis

Maybe my RNG wasn't too bad today. Bought an Essence of Horror for my RF. Got Two T1 resistances and a T2 life roll on it. I'll gladly take that for the four useless uberlab runs i had today. Though it did take 60 chaos worth of chromes to get the right colors.

That drastically helped the damage.

In the future, you can generally off color four socket items pretty easily by forcing it down to two sockets with vorici, off coloring those, then craft it back and forth between 2 and 3 sockets until the 3rd socket comes up the color you need. Usually a lot cheaper in the end since you're spending Jewelers to roll one sockets color instead of chromes to roll all of them.

p3xNTj5.png

This happened on my SSF character today. Was just aiming for a 4L chest since I only had 14 fusings and got 6L after 6. :>

Top Bottom