• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Gale Network Bullshit: "Star Fox Metroid: Fusion Saga" isn't real (no shit!)

Risgroo

If this is real Nintendo have officially lost their minds, this sounds like a 10-year-old's fan-fiction. It can't be real, nonononono.

Cygnus X-1

This is very unlikely.

But before saying that "the game is going to be crap", I want to wait and watch it in motion.

After all, when Metroid Prime was announced to be a first person game, everyone said that the franchise was going to be destroyed forever.

He broke the Sony All Stars story well in advance.

Most of the real leaks came from that employee's twitter. Paul Gale posted a bunch of stupid shit that is almost certainly false like:
-the game being called Title Fight. Not as a project codename but as the actual title.
-A Lair level, which I think he then later went on to say was removed once Playstation Battle Royale was actually revealed. How convenient.
-James Bond as a playable character but apparently couldn't confirm Solid Snake being in the game. We now know Snake is probably in but there's no sign of Bond.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Reports indicate the game will culminate in an F-Zero race between the Arwing and Gunship- a race to the Mushroom Kingdom where Ganon has kidnapped Palutena.

See, this would be fucking awesome, as the premise for Super Smash Bros.

Cygnus X-1

Hahaha that's amazing.

I'd go with this over Other M 2 no question.

If this did turn out to be true, then I've had enough good experiences from Retro to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'd probably buy it.

Sounds really, really radical though.

Radical changes is what make Retro great IMO. Look at Metroid Prime. I prefer to keep my mind open and be surprised, though I'm skeptical.

If this is true, i predict a massive redesign of the Starfox characters.

023.jpg

Like this ?

i would love to see the reactions at Retro when reading this. They're either laughing or broken over the fact that their game leaked.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Paul Gale Network said:
- The Star Fox stages represent what the series is best known for, including the chatter and coming to the aid of the rest of your team, all range mode battles, and on rails stages.
- The Metroid part of the game puts you alone, void of human or any talking character contact, and like the Prime series, sees you gaining upgrades, battling bosses, and in this case, repairing your ship.
So it's just as tonally inconsistent as you'd assume based on the premise?

This sounds so unlike Nintendo in every way.

Xater

$20 bet that this is false.

Rules:
- If Retro announces a new game and it's not this, I win.
- If Retro announces a new game and it is this, you win.
- At any point before Retro announces a new game, bettor or I have right to pay out $10 and admit defeat. This ends the bet, the money is not paid back if the opposite ends up true later.

I wonde rif anyone will take your bet. This shit sounds ridiculous. Fan fiction has only one place at Nintendo and it's called Smash Bros.

This is strange, but I don't see it as totally ridiculous.

• Nintendo has seen huge success from combining the forces of its major franchises in Smash Bros, which was the best-selling Gamecube game and one of the best-selling Wii games outside of the casual stuff.
  • Starfox is a franchise that has lagged in sales and interest both critically and commercially since the Gamecube. The 3DS rerelease of 64, arguably the best game in the series, has done a lot to revitalize the public image of the series meaning now is the time for them to have another pass at it.
  • Retro had done 'what they could' with the Prime formula/design in their trilogy and had moved on to something else. The other approach to the series in Metroid: Other M was a critical and commercial bomb.
  • Zelda, Mario etc are still strong. I'd argue over the last few generations Starfox has gone from A tier to B tier mainly due to a loss of direction the series - there hasn't been a studio to take it and make it their own. Metroid, meanwhile, has been lost since Retro moved on. Even Kirby has had a better time in the last 5 years. Kirby's gone from B to A with his Wii & DS games, I think, even if they didn't sell gangbusters. Nintendo's gone big on Kirby - I think they see it as a great cutesy franchise for younger kids/girls all of a sudden - but these two have had a downgrade which really coincides with Nintendo falling out of favour with the 'core' audience.
  • The two universes share a lot thematically that means they could fit together. F-Zero could fit here too, but that's a racer - these two are based on aliens/combat/space.
  • Mashing the two together would at least on paper let them leverage both fanbases heavily, using what are arguably their too most core-facing franchises together.

If this happens it doesn't mean that Zelda x Kid Icarus is next, though... I just think these two 'mesh' particularly well. If true I'll watch this game with great interest.

Paul Gale

What ever happened to Kojimas circumcision thriller?

HAH! Yeah, throw that one in crap bin. Too ridiculous not to put it up so I did. Honestly though, I read rumors all the time on countless sites. You just read 'em for the hell of it after a while. It at the very least shows that if someone is thinking up these things and spreading them, it's possible that actual studios have at one point considered them.

As for this Star Fox - Metroid idea, it was probably tossed around in a meeting. Maybe it never made it anywhere past a small discussion, but it looks like it was brought up in some capacity. 2.5 weeks man...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That would be a horrendous combination. The two could never work together, not if they wanted to keep the Alien atmosphere of Metroid. God what a horrible idea. Surely this is bullshit, why crossover two tonally opposite, relatively low-key franchises?

Log4Girlz

Paul Gale stumbled across a real game genie, and when asked what game he would wish into reality, Paul answered "Star Fox/Metroid Fusion", and it came to pass.

Though a tentative title, the idea behind the story of “Fusion Saga” is both a play on the fact that the two series are fusing together into one game and of course, a storyline behind Andross using Metroids to enhance himself, his army, etc.

This could be the first of many...

Mario x Zelda: Fusion Saga
Pokemon x F-Zero: Fusion Saga
Fire Emblem x Donkey Kong: Fusion Saga
Mother x Kirby: Fusion Saga

I'll buy them all.

Paul Gale

This is strange, but I don't see it as totally ridiculous.

• Nintendo has seen huge success from combining the forces of its major franchises in Smash Bros, which was the best-selling Gamecube game and one of the best-selling Wii games outside of the casual stuff.
  • Starfox is a franchise that has lagged in sales and interest both critically and commercially since the Gamecube. The 3DS rerelease of 64, arguably the best game in the series, has done a lot to revitalize the public image of the series meaning now is the time for them to have another pass at it.
  • Retro had done 'what they could' with the Prime formula/design in their trilogy and had moved on to something else. The other approach to the series in Metroid: Other M was a critical and commercial bomb.
  • The two universes share a lot thematically that means they could fit together. F-Zero could fit here too, but that's a racer - these two are based on aliens/combat/space.
  • Mashing the two together would at least on paper let them leverage both fanbases heavily, using what are arguably their too most core-facing franchises together.

If this happens it doesn't mean that Zelda x Kid Icarus is next, though... I just think these two 'mesh' particularly well. If true I'll watch this game with great interest.

Your reasoning for why it could exist seems pretty good.

As a large crossover game it could be cool. But just Metroid/Star Fox?

Neither is a large enough seller to do anything but hinder the other. Toss in Mario stages, and maybe some Zelda, putting each of those stars in competing games. That could sell. Work out the details later.

But Metroid/Star Fox is, as EatChildren already said, a way to kill both franchises in a single blow.

Most of the real leaks came from that employee's twitter. Paul Gale posted a bunch of stupid shit that is almost certainly false like:
-the game being called Title Fight. Not as a project codename but as the actual title.
-A Lair level, which I think he then later went on to say was removed once Playstation Battle Royale was actually revealed. How convenient.
-James Bond as a playable character but apparently couldn't confirm Solid Snake being in the game. We now know Snake is probably in but there's no sign of Bond.

It’s now time for the revealing of what this PS3 fighter is tentatively being called, and it’s “Title Fight”.

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...r-playstation-3s-upcoming-smash-bros-fighter/

And he had details like this from back in Nov 2011...

In the LittleBigPlanet stage, Buzz! pops up on screen when triggered (you pick up a Buzz! remote and use it) and asks you certain trivia questions and there are different platforms that appear that you can jump on, with each having a different answer. Get the answer wrong and it’s bye-bye by pie in your eye (KO’d).

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...-bros-fighter-exclusive-to-paul-gale-network/

Not saying that this crazy Staroid story is true, but he has gotten some things right.

Can't wait for E3 either way.

Mechazawa

The basic idea ain't so far fetched. A goofy Subspace Emmisary-esque title. One where they could maybe boost sales buy piggybacking off two separate IPs that aren't quite as prolific in Nintendo's catalogue instead of just the one.

boiled goose

good with gravy
sounds truly terrible haha.

dont see the point in combining these two very different universes.

if true, hope it is at least fun...

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
As a large crossover game it could be cool. But just Metroid/Star Fox?

Neither is a large enough seller to do anything but hinder the other. Toss in Mario stages, and maybe some Zelda, putting each of those stars in competing games. That could sell. Work out the details later.

But Metroid/Star Fox is, as EatChildren already said, a way to kill both franchises in a single blow.

Maybe.. Maybe that's what they plan to do, so they won't have to listen to fans nagging them about bringing those two IPs back :O

Cygnus X-1

LOL

Now you have to tell me why.

First-Person vision was NOT typical Nintendo.

Sci-Fi environment was NOT typical Nintendo.

Shooter part was NOT at all typical Nintendo

The Nintendo footprint if you ask me was just the great, easy to play gameplay. The quality of the artistic details were typical Nintendo, but they never used them for a mature sci-fi title before.

That would be a horrendous combination. The two could never work together, not if they wanted to keep the Alien atmosphere of Metroid. God what a horrible idea. Surely this is bullshit, why crossover two tonally opposite, relatively low-key franchises?

I think done right it isn't an issue. If Samus has Slippy coming in on comms and jabbering then something's gone wrong, but fundamentally in terms of the actual two universes there isn't much difference, I don't think. The Chozo were a race of anthropomorphic birds, after all.

The question is if they could do it right, I guess. There's a tonal disconnect there, but those can actually work really well and enhance the other handled right.

LOL

Now you have to tell me why.

First-Person vision was NOT typical Nintendo.

Sci-Fi environment was NOT typical Nintendo.

Shooter part was NOT at all typical Nintendo

The Nintendo footprint if you ask me was just the great, easy to play gameplay. The quality of the artistic details were typical Nintendo, but they never used them for a mature sci-fi title before.
First Person maybe.

But Metroid is a scifi series. They just never had the kind of tech necessary to represent it. And Metroid definitely had more than its fair share of shooting in the 2D era. I think Prime did an exceptional job at not relying too heavily on just shooting.

edit: Hah, I see what you're saying now. No it's not typical Nintendo, but it definitely has always had a similar mantra that you outlined. No Metroid has been particularly challenging. All of them easy to pick up and play.

Top Bottom