• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Gale: Rocksteady Making TMNT: Manhattan Crisis / Rocksteady: Nope, we're not

Paul Gale

So this guy is writing all of this because he mentioned the idea to Rocksteady at E3? Fucking sounds like a crazy person.

No that was just a little piece of irony. I shared the story because it was sent it to me and I heard the same things pop up a few times from a few places.

Paul Gale

Posting for no other reason than to say that I have rarely wanted a rumor to be true as badly as I do now. I can't even fathom how cool that could be. Just...fuck. Please happen.

I don't think TMNT is remotely relative enough for Rocksteady to make a big-budget game based on it. At the same time, I'd like to think anyone over the age of 20 would have a huge interest in it, so I dunno.

I agree, it's too damn good of an idea to not happen. Elements seem questionable, true, but disregarding that...it's game like you said, would sell so well if done right. Any guy over 20 that grew up on TMNT in the late 80's/early 90's would love a quality effort by a studio as talented as Rocksteady.

v1oz

The Arcade games to be f**ing awesome in multi player mode. So I cant wait for this and hopefully it will have on-line co-op.

Paul Gale

he originally wasn't going to post it, he asked people here whether he should bother or not, we said what's the harm, speculation is fun.

And then hateful mofos like you come around reminding everyone what the "harm" is, lol. Calm yourself.

If I put up every rumor I got, there'd probably easily be one new story a day and that'd be pretty lame, because the vast majority are "things my friend told me" and just wish lists. This one was particularly exciting for me, it popped up more than once, and yes, like you said, I asked people's opinions ahead of time and I stick by my word, that no matter how cool I personally thought it was, if the majority vote said, "don't bother putting it up, because it's probably fake", then I'd keep this little gem of a rumor to myself. Period.

That being said, it seems like 90% of the people out there think the idea is awesome and would like it to be true (myself included), so if anything, it at least sparked some fun in the NeoGAF forums and elsewhere...though it's not my intention to ever lead anyone on. Ahem, RUMOR. :) Thanks for backing me up, everyone. And to the few that don't like the story, I can't please everyone. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. It comes with the business and I'm ok with that.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
On the contrary though, I feel that it was too pandering to the people who grew up to the 80's and exclusively stuck to that.

People still like the Ninja Turtles ?

People who liked the series outside of the 80's show don't see it as a fad.

This idea sounds awesome.

As long as they cut any and all ties to the old school cartoon. Loved that stuff as a kid, but apparently I was a stupid kid because that stuff is awful. I'd much prefer it closer to the 2003 series or the old comic. That is awesome.

jadedm17

If this is true I'll buy ten copies. Of every edition. And every console.

My love for Ninja Turtles is endless and the new comics, blu rays and reprints of the original comics aren't taking my money fast enough. And I'm starting to think I have enough Ninja Turtle t-shirts. (Its seven. Eight if you count my woot shirt.)

As long as they cut any and all ties to the old school cartoon. Loved that stuff as a kid, but apparently I was a stupid kid because that stuff is awful. I'd much prefer it closer to the 2003 series or the old comic. That is awesome.
Agreed, and I loved the cartoon growing up. Watch The Next Mutation on Netflix*. It could be worse.

*Don't do this. Seriously.

People still like the Ninja Turtles ?
Much. I saw TMNT in theatres with pizza I brought in wrapped in tinfoil. The 20th Anniversary introduced me to the original comics, and the new ones being made are a great take on the origins. Since 2007 I've waited for news on the new movie and can't wait for another live action adventure.

Some people have Peanuts, my ex loved Tigger, my roommate is huge into Star Wars and Star Trek, his girlfriend Disney and Mickey Mouse.... Its just what we have, its what we love.

If this is true I'll buy ten copies. Of every edition. And every console.

My love for Ninja Turtles is endless and the new comics, blu rays and reprints of the original comics aren't taking my money fast enough. And I'm starting to think I have enough Ninja Turtle t-shirts. (Its seven. Eight if you count my woot shirt.)

Agreed, and I loved the cartoon growing up. Watch The Next Mutation on Netflix*. It could be worse.

*Don't do this. Seriously.

I watched it when it came out and thought it was crap.

I'm fucking pissed that someone would make up this bullshit because I want it to happen so badly - provided they don't use the cartoon, which we all know and love from childhood but is actually physically repulsive today - now that I've read it and I know the chances are so fucking slim.

Samurai Jack, which someone else mentioned on the first page, I think, would also be fuckin' boss. Maybe bosser? I don't know. It's hard for me to decide. I think TMNT would work better for Rocksteady, because Samurai Jack is so disjointed and episodic in the stories it tells. It'd have to be structured in a more traditional level sense, I think, which, at least according to the Batman games, is not where Rocksteady's strengths lie. (Actually, it says sort of nothing about a game structured like that, but whatever.)

POINT IS.

TMNT would be fucking awesome. Fuck rumors that have no basis in reality.

They're finally reprinting them? When I looked around a few years ago, there was nothing. ):

shitshitshitshit

I must buy them.

jadedm17

Why did you watch Next Mutation
Same reason I played TMNT.

I don't support garbage financially but I can't help but want to get all the Ninja Turtles I can. Also I couldn't make it past episode 6 or so, and only half payed attention to anything after episode 2. So bad. Same for the TMNT game. "Supersensationalistic Brah!"

Also watch the Power Rangers in Space episode. Once on Youtube then again when it was on Netflix.

They're finally reprinting them? When I looked around a few years ago, there was nothing. ):
Anniversary celebration! Started last year, I bought the soft-cover for $29.95 at Barnes and Noble. The hardcover is only $36 or so on the BN website. :)

jadedm17

Didnt mean to reply, but to edit. Oops.

TMNT would be fucking awesome. Fuck rumors that have no basis in reality.
I feel like this is a troll post, like a response to the thread not long ago about awesome things that should be done like the recent Batman games. As someone who thought a 4-player co-op TMNT game would be amazing I truely think this isn't real.

But I can always dream.

Busty

Banned
Ahem, RUMOR. :) Thanks for backing me up, everyone. And to the few that don't like the story, I can't please everyone. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. It comes with the business and I'm ok with that.

What business would that be exactly?

Seriously, I'm interested to know.

Is Paul Gale the new surfer girl reviews star wars? I'm confused.

No. Even a broken clock keeps the right time twice a day.

an Arkham City like TMNT game would be amazing :D Rocksteady would be the perfect studio to start making more proper licensed games from here on out! :D

do iiitt!:D
teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-new-idw-eastman.jpg

Boss Doggie

Also watch the Power Rangers in Space episode. Once on Youtube then again when it was on Netflix.

That's the only thing Next Mutation did good... and that didn't even make sense!

And it was all because of fucking Saban. ONORE SABAN!

Didnt mean to reply, but to edit. Oops.

I feel like this is a troll post, like a response to the thread not long ago about awesome things that should be done like the recent Batman games. As someone who thought a 4-player co-op TMNT game would be amazing I truely think this isn't real.

But I can always dream.

I remember that Bloody Roar 5 trolling.

SkylineRKR

If this would come with business, then every gaming outlet out there would've fired blanks like these. And they don't. At least, not completely out of the blue like this.

The whole Title Fight thing is shady as well. No other outlet seems to have any info about it. And the write ups are almost as if its some sort of a survey. The project might exist, or might've been brainstormed at some point seeing the success of SSB. But anything beyond that?

No. half of surfer girl's rumors became true :p

I was about to say that, Surfergirl was on the money about the 360 S revision and more wasn't it?

i dont think people remember that in the first turtle series april was show naked in a shower and they fucking killed ninjas. It was always really dark until the cartoon happened.

LaneDS

This is one of those rumors that sounds too good to be true, but I'd be a little crushed to find it's false all the same. Here's hoping.

TreIII

No. half of surfer girl's rumors became true :p

Yeah. Of course, the one thing that she talked about that I really wanted to come to pass? The "Megaman Smash-like" game that was supposed to be on tap for his 20th anniversary (which reportedly got canned).

...Wonder if Capcom might decide to bring it back for the 25th.

People still like the Ninja Turtles?

Very much so.

In fact, my older cousin was the one who did more to turn me onto the original Mirage comics, back in the day, and in essence, did more to help me realize that there was more to the series than what was shown on the "kiddy crap", as he put it, that aired Saturday mornings and USA re-runs.

While I doubt this rumor, I certainly would love something like it to emerge.

SkylineRKR

Oh I loved the Turtles. They were my fave action heroes during my childhood. I had about 25+ action figures, some vehicles and I read the archie comics + was addicted to the 1986 show. The first movie was tight also, it was darker and more like the original comic. During the third Motion picture the franchise kind of went down the drain for me and I became older.

But I still love the games like TMNT In Time (not that Ubi fuckup), Radical Rescue etc. I'd always check out a new Turtles game if it has potential, and ofcourse a game from Rocksteady would be huge.

Paul Gale

an Arkham City like TMNT game would be amazing :D Rocksteady would be the perfect studio to start making more proper licensed games from here on out! :D

do iiitt!:D
teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-new-idw-eastman.jpg

Trending on Twitter: #CowabungaPGN Let's make this game happen by letting Rocksteady know we want it! Since the NeoGAF community helped me make the article in the first place, I thought I'd let you all know that I e-mailed Rocksteady again last night and contacted them via Twitter as well.

There has been no response thus far and that's understandable. Hopefully they'll respond sooner rather than later. If we get their attention, maybe they'll come out with an official statement of some sort.

And to those questioning this game's validity, I'm right there with you. Just don't mistake Title Fight with this, for the former is real, is in development, has been seen and played by others, and will be coming out on PlayStation 3 in 2012.

TMNT is simply a rumor.

If this would come with business, then every gaming outlet out there would've fired blanks like these. And they don't. At least, not completely out of the blue like this.

The whole Title Fight thing is shady as well. No other outlet seems to have any info about it. And the write ups are almost as if its some sort of a survey. The project might exist, or might've been brainstormed at some point seeing the success of SSB. But anything beyond that?

I was about to say that, Surfergirl was on the money about the 360 S revision and more wasn't it?

Yup! If you search "surfer girl rumor", their should be a thread of confirmed and unconfirmed rumors. The unconfirmed one she got right was max Payne 3 and Theif.

Trending on Twitter: #CowabungaPGN Let's make this game happen by letting Rocksteady know we want it! Since the NeoGAF community helped me make the article in the first place, I thought I'd let you all know that I e-mailed Rocksteady again last night and contacted them via Twitter as well.

There has been no response thus far and that's understandable. Hopefully they'll respond sooner rather than later. If we get their attention, maybe they'll come out with an official statement of some sort.

And to those questioning this game's validity, I'm right there with you. Just don't mistake Title Fight with this, for the former is real, is in development, has been seen and played by others, and will be coming out on PlayStation 3 in 2012.

TMNT is simply a rumor.
OK but I've got $20 riding on this being true. If you're wrong, you'll not only be letting all of us down, you'll be letting me down in particular.

Paul Gale

OK but I've got $20 riding on this being true. If you're wrong, you'll not only be letting all of us down, you'll be letting me down in particular.

I certainly don't want to let you or anyone down. I put the story up on terms of reader request. Who would have thought that it'd gain so much attention? I am happy to see that the internet community at large is interested...now I just hope it's true so people don't get let down.

Boss Doggie

Eh, if it does come out, I'm still not big into it unless it absolves its connections to the 80's cartoon.

border

Seems pretty patently false.

TMNT is too small of an IP for Rocksteady to be working with. The appeal is way too limited, and even a superb game couldn't sell a fraction of what their previous games have. Batman is an internationally recognized superhero with 300 million dollar blockbuster movies backing him up. TMNT is an aging property based on low budget cartoon shows, whose appeal doesn't fall far outside of a few 20 and 30-something nerds. It'd be a waste of Rocksteady's talent and time to saddle them with it.

If it was going to be a small XBLA title or something I might buy it.

Eh, if it does come out, I'm still not big into it unless it absolves its connections to the 80's cartoon.

It would be perfect if they meshed the 80's cartoon characters like Beebop, Rocksteady, Krang, Baxter, Tokka, Razhor, Rat King, Leatherhead, Slash, Tragg and Super Shredder and sprinkled it with Hun and Kirai. Base the actual turtles on the 2K3 series while setting the tone as dark as the original comic. That would be perfect. Taking the best aspects of each universe and molding them into one.

Takao

Banned
Seems pretty patently false.

TMNT is too small of an IP for Rocksteady to be working with. The appeal is way too limited, and even a superb game couldn't sell a fraction of what their previous games have. Batman is an internationally recognized superhero with 300 million dollar blockbuster movies backing him up. TMNT is an aging property based on low budget cartoon shows, whose appeal doesn't fall far outside of a few 20 and 30-something nerds. It'd be a waste of Rocksteady's talent and time to saddle them with it.

If it was going to be a small XBLA title or something I might buy it.

There is so much wrong in this post that I don't even know where to start from...

There is so much wrong in this post that I don't even know where to start from...

He's completely right that TMNT does not have the same quantity of appeal that Batman does.

But yeah on pretty much everything else he's wrong. "Based on a cartoon show" haha.

gogojira

I can't be the first one to point out that Rocksteady might be making a game that has Rocksteady in it.

Man that'd be great if these guys were on a TMNT game. Maybe someone would create a worthwhile console Turtles game that doesn't date back to the SNES era.

Boss Doggie

He's completely right that TMNT does not have the same quantity of appeal that Batman does.

But yeah on pretty much everything else he's wrong. "Based on a cartoon show" haha.

It does paint a picture on how "informed" people are regarding TMNT - it's like how people think only MMPR is Power Rangers.

Damn I don't know how to feel about this one... Rocksteady being as good AAA games developers as they are, taking on TMNT sounds AWESOME but, the UE3 being the engine to bring this to life makes me doubt.

I'll wait patiently for more to be shown...

Top Bottom