• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Thurrott: April's next Xbox announcement "pushed back a month"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but this thread is absolutely hilarious. Some of you guys really think that a month after E3 it's going to matter when either of these consoles was first announced? And what about this holiday season when, you know, people are actually buying the darn products? I don't think gamer bob is going to walk in a store and say "yeah I've been hyped for the PS4 longer so I'm buying that one". The much more likely scenario is that gamer bob is going to either see the cheaper one or the one with the software he wants and choose that one. For Christ-sake people, we haven't even see the actual PS4 yet or even know the price. There are so many variables left to be decided and yet here we are crowning Sony because they announced their console three-five months before Microsoft.

Bottom line is that the people that actually NEEED to know about the 720 today (the developers) know about the damn thing and are currently developing titles for it. That is all the matters right now. The "winner" of this generation will be decided holiday 2013 and beyond, not today.

The problem is that what you're seeing aren't predictions or objective analyses in this thread. It's really just an expression of what a lot of people here want- they really want it to be true that Microsoft is really scared and scrambling.

PaulLFC

All you got was specs and a controller. With some footage of unappealing games. If that's impressive to you, i would love to see what you'll say about a full blown xboxnext reveal.
KuGsj.gif

"Unappealing games" cannot be used when referring to someone else when you have no idea of their opinion of said games.

Presumably you think they should have played their entire hand at the reveal and told us everything - price, what it looks like, online services, full lineup of launch games... thankfully, Sony don't listen to you when planning when and what to announce about their next console.

Hoo-doo

Banned
All you got was specs and a controller. With some footage of unappealing games. If that's impressive to you, i would love to see what you'll say about a full blown xboxnext reveal.

Man, I love it when people make horribly reductionist statements to stroke their fanboy fantasies.
Microsoft is under heavy pressure to deliver, in an environment that's unanimously singing the praises of the PS4 already. That's all we are currently seeing.

We don't know anything tangible about the Nextbox, so please don't act high and mighty like you have it all figured out with statements like these and shitting on other posters, keep that stuff on GameFAQs.

It can't possibly be that they don't want to screw up the momentum of their top-selling current-gen 360 until they have to.

Nah, that reason's too boring.

A killer press event and then good vibes continuing through GDC this week, and then this comment from a respected individual like Mr. Thurrott.

If I'm on that side of the fence, I'm not sensing the confidence right now.

I think they are trawling through their staff worldwide, trying to find a guy as God-like as Mark Cerny to front the unveil.

But I think so far, they ain't found this guy so they delayed a month until someone is found...

MS please just reveal the Xbox already, more and more everyday I am stepping over to the Sony side, and I am enjoying the fact I may be doing so

The decision to not reveal is not going to help MS at all, surely

Unfortunately for you, that's not all we got.

So far we've got

+ Words from virtually every developer on the planet about the massive change in philosophy toward helping devs and having a friendly, easy development environment.
+ Words from any Indie that has bothered to comment about how great PS4's indie philosophy is in every conceivable way, with considerable detail about why it's so great
+ Words about how massively powerful the system is going to be, and what it's potential is now considering its unprecedented amount of super fast RAM.
+ Words about the amazingly innovative SHARE button, which is one of those innovations that genuinely have huge implications for games without being a pointless gimmick.
+ Details about every aspect of the controller, from its touch pad and color indicators.
+ Details about the new PlayStation store and the various ways the new interface will be changing the game
+ Details about the new downloading schemes: start playing games as soon as you start a download.
+ Details about the new online infrastructure and what it will mean for games
+ Details from weird creepy Crash Bandicoot guy about the extensive change in approach toward courting anyone who wants to make anything on PS4.

In short, we got a plethora of information that gave us a massive idea about exactly where Sony was going with PS4.

I'd only agree with you that the current slate of game announcements was rather unimpressive (except that Drive Club game), but I hardly expected them to reveal very many of those before E3, which will be their big show. The important thing was understanding the philosophy behind the system, who is supporting it and what their outlook is, and we got all of that with the PS4 unveil.

Amir0x dropping the hard truth bombs.
Great, informative post right here.

After the trial by fire that PS3 went through (both in its initial design and lifespan), this was a very important move for Sony to make to re-establish the strong developer/publisher relationships they formed with PS1 and maintained with PS2.
It might not be flashy OMG BOMBS DROPPED!@!@, but in the grand scheme of things it could be a legitimate difference maker going into this next gen.

Such a hyper reductionist perspective. It's unhealthy.

GameSeeker

If you have worked inside Fortune 500 companies and understand how large companies do scheduling of big projects, this type of delay almost always results from bad news, rarely good news.

Given that the delay is only a month, it may be minor bad news, but it is from bad news nonetheless. We don't have any clue as to the nature of the bad news (e.g., OS issue, H/W issue, demo issues, partner issues, etc.), so we will just have to wait for more info (either from press or Microsoft).

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Secret Sauce was left out in the sun too long.

I still think its doubtful its due to a late hardware change. Could be due to the removal or inclusion of a software based feature I guess. They might just want to leave it closer to E3 and let all the speculation continue.

In any case... FUN TIMES.

Yes, we know they're rumours. But a lot of these rumours came from the same highly credible sources that got everything right about PS4, and on top of that we have had some confirmed design docs leaked and some good overviews about the tech in the system. So even if stuff isn't officially announced, we have many things that are almost assuredly true.

With that in mind:

Wii U took shit from gamers, it's a disaster. There is no real correlation between when gamers are right and when they're wrong: gamers just automatically gravitate to the system that has the best potential for games, which tends to be high-tech propositions that offer developers the greatest set of tools (high tech includes controllers, so don't freak out dudes). Wii U's pad was simply a road already traveled, being basically an extension of the DS two screen philosophy.

Kinect is an abomination of tech only good for two genres, and they're shit mini/party game compilations and dance games. That fad came and went and nobody gives a shit about Kinect anymore, except the few still desperately clinging to the hope that it'll bring some new ideas to the table since as of yet it has not even created one single new idea. So the fact that Durango will be focusing an entire system around such a disastrous piece of tech is already bad news, even from a mass market perspective, because as Wii U proves if you're going to gimmick route people want 'the next big thing', not roads already traveled. These circus parlor trick gimmicks only work insofar as they can hold the attention of the ADHD-addled masses.

And what did they have to sacrifice to get Kinect 2.0 in every system? Well according to leaked tech docs, a system that had to sacrifice some level of power and cede some considerable ground to PS4 in that regard. We have word from Indies and mid-tier devs that Microsoft hasn't even tried to reach out to them. The word about the Indie philosophy has not much improved over XBLA days. We have words about anti-consumer policies. Words about the type of online requirements. SOME of the rumours are going to be true, since so many of them are from credible sources.

The question I pose to any individual is which of these do you actually WANT to be true? Because unless you're one of the bizarre few who actually continue to go on defending what Kinect is and always has been, there isn't anything really positive about Durango. That's a huge contrast from the early and persistent rumours about PS4 from the same credible sources, which were hugely positive and remain positive.

I'm a realist, is all. 360 was my favorite system last gen until Microsoft went and fucked up a good thing to focus on Kinect. I only want the system that offers the best games, and the best potential for future games. Durango in its current hypothetical state based on rumours is nightmare fuel.

Excellent post. Exactly what I wanted to say in the last thread in which I proclaimed they "dropped the ball" and got piled on.

Impression that MS is redesigning their console in response to the PS4 spec.
I don't think so. There were rumors in 2012 that said that manufacturing issues which might delay the console release till 2014. It won't matter much on gaf but if Microsoft has the hands down most powerful machine with subscription based pricing and the most compelling features along with a revamped first party lineup it will be hard to pass up for the casual and core fanbase. I love what the ps4 is doing so far but I also love the Xbox games. I have a feeling some if the earlier rumors of the Xbox being 2 to 3 times more powerful could be true and they are in this for the kill. If they found a way to produce better graphics at competitive price. Even if the price isn't better a subscription model means they could advertise at a 200 price point and get suckers to pay them a shit ton of money over time. 500 to 600 is my max for a console. This is all random speculation and I am probably wrong. They could be polishing kinectimals 2 for their announcement.

imperium

You know, I've often wondered just how much Microsoft & Sony know regarding each others hardware and overall plans. I find it hard to believe that in this age of instant communication & the fact that both companies work closely with third parties that either company can be "surprised".

If Microsoft did, in fact, change their announcement plans, I suspect it was due to something internal and not the PS4. Besides does it really matter at this early stage? Both consoles are still 6+ months away and a lot can change at E3.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
sounds like 16GB GDDR5
They don't need a month to make adjustments to a announcement, they can announce then do it, sounds more like something isn't ready to be shown that they what to include or they don't have enough

ari

Banned
Unfortunately for you, that's not all we got.

So far we've got

+ Words from virtually every developer on the planet about the massive change in philosophy toward helping devs and having a friendly, easy development environment.
+ Words from any Indie that has bothered to comment about how great PS4's indie philosophy is in every conceivable way, with considerable detail about why it's so great
+ Words about how massively powerful the system is going to be, and what it's potential is now considering its unprecedented amount of super fast RAM.
+ Words about the amazingly innovative SHARE button, which is one of those innovations that genuinely have huge implications for games without being a pointless gimmick.
+ Details about every aspect of the controller, from its touch pad and color indicators.
+ Details about the new PlayStation store and the various ways the new interface will be changing the game
+ Details about the new downloading schemes: start playing games as soon as you start a download.
+ Details about the new online infrastructure and what it will mean for games
+ Details from weird creepy Crash Bandicoot guy about the extensive change in approach toward courting anyone who wants to make anything on PS4.

In short, we got a plethora of information that gave us a massive idea about exactly where Sony was going with PS4.

I'd only agree with you that the current slate of game announcements was rather unimpressive (except that Drive Club game), but I hardly expected them to reveal very many of those before E3, which will be their big show. The important thing was understanding the philosophy behind the system, who is supporting it and what their outlook is, and we got all of that with the PS4 unveil.
I was being more of a dickhead then literal. That being said, not all of that stuff is appealing and the developers will be singing the same tune for the next box.

If the shitty rumors turn into fact though. That will hurt MS to no end.

I was being more of a dickhead then literal. That being said, none of that stuff is appealing and the developers will be singibg the same tune for the next box.

What in your world constitutes "appealing" then, if not for opening access to developers, removing obstacles for them, overhauling online infrastructure and the way developers approach a console?

If you have worked inside Fortune 500 companies and understand how large companies do scheduling of big projects, this type of delay almost always results from bad news, rarely good news.

Given that the delay is only a month, it may be minor bad news, but it is from bad news nonetheless. We don't have any clue as to the nature of the bad news (e.g., OS issue, H/W issue, demo issues, partner issues, etc.), so we will just have to wait for more info (either from press or Microsoft).

My guess is that they are delaying at the request of developers. As others have mentioned a bunch of next-gen EA stuff is rolling out around the same time. They may be also delaying because Sony caught a lot of flack for not really showing a lot of substance. Didn't see the actual console, no price, no release date, lots of missing details.

MS will be really smart to bring lots of games, including next-gen stuff like Battlefield that people care about, and to be really specific. Give a release date, a price, heck they can be like Apple and say "Pre-orders at the Microsoft store start an hour after this conference!". This sort of thing not only generates huge hype it also gives them sales momentum.

I don't see how NOT revealing effects them negatively. I can see how a bad reveal can kill them. The longer they wait, the more stuff they line up, the better the reveal.

Not if 2005 and Xbox 360 is anything to go by.

Well I think we'd all struggle with that, given 1) Nothing has been announced for Durango and 2) Durango hasn't been announced.

But nothing at all has been announced. Do you mean rumored specs? The GAF echo chamber isn't exactly representative of general public perception.

Precisely the point the poster was making. There isn't any buzz in the general public about the next Xbox because it hasn't been announced; hell, it has barely been hinted at.

The "GAF echo chamber" is full of people who are better informed than most. As you say, there's nothing to talk about here either besides rumor and speculation, but this has largely been unfavorable regardless of the veracity.

Ergo, since neither group knows anything, and the rumors haven't been positive, there isn't anything positive to say about the next Xbox right now. The solution is A.) MS gets out there now and tells people all that positive stuff, or B.) MS continues to work on whatever they are working on, trusts that the rumor mongering doesn't matter, and eventually releases their info when they feel they're ready. Until that time though, there's really not much to talk about in the public sphere when it comes to the the next Xbox.

It might not matter in the end if MS really blows things up with their marketing, but you can't deny Sony is benefiting from the lack of counter-messaging right now.

Have a huge media blow out and surf into E3 on a huge wave of hype. Makes sense to me.

or not as long to sit on consumer disappointment before they can announce more at E3? ;)

Then again, if the 720/Durango event ends with a 'thud', that doesn't give them much time to adapt for E3, does it?
That would lead me to believe MS is confident... but yeah... who knows?

options:

-this is some sort of decoy to get us excited when they actually do end up having it in april
or
-they are still making changed to the specs and design
or
-the games they want to show off need some more time to be ready

How is MS out of touch? Lol

When the next xbox gets revealed. The news and mainstream attention will be in their favor. Why should they just cater to guys on some random ass forum?

When everybody is talking about next gen stuff at GDC and MS name is left out I think they are out of touch. PS4 is getting all the press right now.

do i need to say more?

Can you post a bigger image? I can barely see it.

or not as long to sit on consumer disappointment before they can announce more at E3? ;)

Then again, if the 720/Durango event ends with a 'thud', that doesn't give them much time to adapt for E3, does it?
That would lead me to believe MS is confident... but yeah... who knows?
Their competition showed their cards so in sure they will go down bullet points of why they are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom