• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2012 Thread

We will find out I guess. BTW have they sent single day passes yet?
If you asked for them to be mailed to you, they should have arrived long ago.

Does Sony usually have a presence at Pax? I'm curious if there is a chance we could see some Vita announcements.

Truthfully though i'd be happy if we get some solid dates for stuff like LBP, and Soundshapes though. I'd also like conformation on if we are still getting Warrior's Lair still or if it's been canned.
Sony have never shown up for East. The first year though, they did run an event outside the convention centre on the Thursday.

Yeah, Duke Nukem Forever showed up at PAX Prime last year without warning.
Darkness 2 was also done in a similar fashion.
Mario Kart 7
That's about it honestly.
Yup. Mario Kart 7 is the safe bet that everyone will have if they're on the 3DS. However, depending on the place and how crowded it will be, I'd be concern whether it'd be even playable. I remember one year we're all in the queue room waiting, and trying to get a single cart Mario Kart DS took forever and the game ran at a slideshow pace. On average, everyone ends up with 2-3 wireless devices on them, and it kills a lot of wifi gaming.

mollipen

If badge counterfeiting is such an issue, why send them out early? Require them to be picked up at the show, have a unique badge holder that's required (and only given out when you pick up your badge), and have constant checks. I'm not sure why events like E3 or GDC can do that, but PAX has an issue.

That said, I think I'm actually going to have two badges for the show, and so far I have neither. I wonder if that should worry me or not. *laughs*

Edit: I actually decide to get the email that I receive. Badges of my types are pick-ups, so no worries.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
That said, I think I'm actually going to have two badges for the show, and so far I have neither. I wonder if that should worry me or not. *laughs*

Heh, yea, I still don't know what the logistics are for being on a panel. They're cutting it kinda close....

Also I hate how pathetic this sounds but anyone up for just hanging out Saturday? I expect my Friday to be full with the RBN crew and panels I'm hitting, but for all I know I'm gonna be alone Saturday. Rather not spend it just dicking around on my own. >_>

If badge counterfeiting is such an issue, why send them out early? Require them to be picked up at the show, have a unique badge holder that's required (and only given out when you pick up your badge), and have constant checks. I'm not sure why events like E3 or GDC can do that, but PAX has an issue.
Don't know about E3, but GDC badges are RFID tagged ones, which is why it's a quick swipe and go for verification. IIRC, people have brought up the idea of RFID tags to those guys at the Q&A sessions, with someone who's actually did that kind of badge security stuff. Not sure if they ended up going with them. I guess it'll happen when they DO run into trouble of overcrowding, and when it finally cost them money to have to turn people away.

The problem with picking up the badge the day of the event is that you really can't have a line of 40,000 people on Friday morning just to get in. Sadly, the bulk of their operation relies on volunteers at entrances and such, so constant checks are most likely out of the question too.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Heh, yea, I still don't know what the logistics are for being on a panel. They're cutting it kinda close....

Also I hate how pathetic this sounds but anyone up for just hanging out Saturday? I expect my Friday to be full with the RBN crew and panels I'm hitting, but for all I know I'm gonna be alone Saturday. Rather not spend it just dicking around on my own. >_>
If I get my plans going I don't see why not.

Anyone have spare 3 day or all three 1 day passes available? *For purchase

5amshift

Banned
It's not really that they are being counterfeited. There is another scam to get an extra badge that I won't go into. But yeah, it's really stupid they don't do pick ups for badges like they do with Media badges..

The problem with picking up the badge the day of the event is that you really can't have a line of 40,000 people on Friday morning just to get in. Sadly, the bulk of their operation relies on volunteers at entrances and such, so constant checks are most likely out of the question too.

Badge pick up for Media is the Thursday before. If they did the same thing, it would all be good.

OnPoint

I got my Friday and Sunday badges in the mail last week.

They look super official.

Wouldn't mind taking a Saturday badge off someone's hands though

mollipen

Of course, depending on how busy I am. I'm also going to the show for work, so I have to see how much actual work I'll be doing there.

I was just going to say that E3 is about 40k in attendance, but then I remembered that they might allow for the option of sending out badges as well. Plus, with that being a trade show, you have a better chance of people being in a day or two early, where they can pick up their badges pre-show and not have a huge rush.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Of course, depending on how busy I am. I'm also going to the show for work, so I have to see how much actual work I'll be doing there.

I figured as such, which is why I didn't ask you directly first. :) I'd hate to be a burden or third wheel to anyone.

Hero

Not sure of my plans on Saturday but if GAFers are trying to hang out I'd be down for at least a little bit. But we should definitely concentrate on the meet-up or it might not happen!

Don't know about E3, but GDC badges are RFID tagged ones, which is why it's a quick swipe and go for verification. IIRC, people have brought up the idea of RFID tags to those guys at the Q&A sessions, with someone who's actually did that kind of badge security stuff. Not sure if they ended up going with them. I guess it'll happen when they DO run into trouble of overcrowding, and when it finally cost them money to have to turn people away.

RFID would be awesome for badges but yeah...I don't see them doing it either until it would cost them less than their current system and its flaws.

Patryn

Any issues if I buy a pass off someone else?

Just be careful and make sure you trust the person you're buying from. They estimated that there were between 5000-7000 fake passes at PAX Prime.

But if you trust the person, there's no problem and PAX doesn't care.

Simo

Wish I could of gone, if only for the chance to see Max Payne 3 or better yet get to play it. Rockstar had the first public play test for Red Dead at PAX East before it launched and maybe there's a chance they'll be doing the same for Max?

RFID would be awesome for badges but yeah...I don't see them doing it either until it would cost them less than their current system and its flaws.
Almost getting shut down by the Fire Department last year for overcapacity should be a wakeup call for them.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Some of the floor prizes are done based on punching a hole into your card once you enter so you can't do it again - so there are reasons for counterfeiting beyond just getting into the convention. Some of the WoW loot cards they give away are worth hundreds on eBay.

The holograms and the late delivery on passes are a start at least.

Patryn

I think I may miss the Mass Effect one, because I'm more curious about the Dragon Age panel, and I'm sure they're going to clear the room between, and I doubt I'll be able to get back in for the ME (which will probably be PACKED).

I think I may miss the Mass Effect one, because I'm more curious about the Dragon Age panel, and I'm sure they're going to clear the room between, and I doubt I'll be able to get back in for the ME (which will probably be PACKED).

The only video game con I've been to is MAGFest, and the panels don't fill up there. I'm assuming, though, that PAX is different since it is the Penny Arcade con.

Patryn

The only video game con I've been to is MAGFest, and the panels don't fill up there. I'm assuming, though, that PAX is different since it is the Penny Arcade con.

Oh, it's different. At PAX Prime I stood in one line for three hours. I think it was full with an hour to go before the panel.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Whaaaat? You don't want to take part in the bloodshed? :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just be careful and make sure you trust the person you're buying from. They estimated that there were between 5000-7000 fake passes at PAX Prime.

But if you trust the person, there's no problem and PAX doesn't care.
Jesus, that's a lot. Did they not have a hologram or something?

Guess to make sure everything is ok I'll grab legit Fri/Sun passes and see if I can't get a Saturday pass or explore the city instead.

I've got another random and maybe stupid question, anyone know if there are any spots to trade stuff? as in old games and etc, i think they have it for cards but i want to know if they have it for games.

Got my badges yesterday. Just email them, they are incredibly helpful. I'll only be there sat and sun. I just moved here from Louisiana last month. I live in taunton now, trying to figure out transportation. Getting there is easy enough, but the trains stop at 1am, so contemplating just parking there. Do buses run later? There is virtually no public for of transportation where I'm originally from :(

Cant wait for the gaf meetup fr pax east! You guys should come :)

Patryn

I think you need to be our spy, especially since Weekes is there.

I'll try. I think the rooms at PAX East are larger than the ones at PAX Prime, so that works in our favor.

Has everyone gotten their badges? I've not gotten mine and I'm worried. I have my confirmation order printed out, though.

Got mine towards the end of last week. If you don't have them by the end of this week, I'd definitely get in contact with them.

5amshift

Banned
Has everyone gotten their badges? I've not gotten mine and I'm worried. I have my confirmation order printed out, though.

If you don't get it in time before you leave, just bring out the printed confirmation to the front desk and they'll give you one on the spot.
Another horrible, horrible flaw.

Kazerei

Banned
"Bioware and Mass Effect" panelists have been named. I kind of feel sorry for them.

Chris Priestly (community coordinator)
Mike Gamble (producer)
Corey Gaspur (combat designer)
Patrick Weekes (writer)
John Dombrow (writer)
Reid Buckmaster (quality assurance)

"Bioware and Mass Effect" panelists have been named. I kind of feel sorry for them.

Mike Gamble (producer)
Patrick Weekes (writer)
John Dombrow (writer)

Too bad Dombrow isn't eFamous. Maybe he will temper the tide.

No Hudson or Walters? Gaspur is possibly the only one that could take some of the hits.

Hero

Mike Gamble (producer)
Patrick Weekes (writer)
John Dombrow (writer)

Sent to die.

Shadow780

Sent to die.

the-expendables-trailer-31-3-10-kc.jpg

Actually, you know what? Patryn, I think you'll be able to get in. They most likely placed the DA3 panel first (because it is the DA3 panel) to get the most amount of people there. They probably will not clear the room.

Top Bottom