• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2012 Thread

So yeah, I think the consensus (if there was one) was Friday after the expo hall closes just meet in front of the BCEC, then we can go somewhere to get food+drinks. I prefer Saturday, but I guess more people (who haven't really chimed in in this thread) wanted Friday.

I say best bet is to meet up then migrate towards the Garden area or downtown.

Simo

old? Max Payne 3 will be playable this weekend at PAX East...
maxpayne3_cover_640x400.jpg

We're proud to announce that we will be at PAX East this coming weekend (Friday April 6th through Sunday April 8th) with Max Payne 3 playable at our booth (#912).

If you're in the Boston area or plan to travel to the show, come through for an exclusive opportunity to go hands-on with the game before its release this May.

We'll also be on hand with giveaways of some brand new Max Payne 3 gear. For more information on PAX East, visit http://east.paxsite.com/.

Damn. I knew Rockstar would do this and I tried to get time off to go but work is pulling me in the other direction and I have to be in Chicago this weekend. :(

Still, curious to hear Gaffers impressions and if anyone is able to score some extra Max Payne 3 swag from their booth I'll be happy to part money for it!!

BioShock is not shown on the Expo Hall. There is only a panel.

late response but bleh X smh :/ , so is it gonna be a panel and another statue then, with shirts thrown into the crowd, i couldn't get one last year :(

Max Payne 3 being there/playable was a given, last year was L.A Noire and the year before that was red dead..........next year Grand Theft Auto V D: D:

Shadow780

BAH, the Retrogame Roadshow clashes with Giantbomb, I think I'll go to the roadshow, GB will have streaming available at their site later right?

Will be there for Friday only. Really looking forward to going to the convention again, but this year is a bit strange since there really isn't too much I'm excited to play. I'm trying to get my friend to participate in the Street Fighter II HD Remix tournament since he won first place last year, but not sure if it will happen. More so, I'll just be happy to be in Boston again (went to school and lived there for 5 years) and ideally meet up with some of my old roomies and hit some of my old bars.

Hero

Guys, if a meet-up is going to happen we need to decide within the next two days.

Starting from this post and on-going vote for either FRIDAY or SATURDAY after the Expo Hall closes .

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Hi guys. I'll be on a panel. Please show up and support/check out the discussions! It's about competitive gaming!

---

http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/state-of-the-game-pax-edition

State of the Game PAX Edition

Competitive gaming has always been a community shunned by mainstream press but it’s still continued to grow. In 2011 we saw the biggest growth for the industry from all angles. We’re looking to get even more mainstream gaming eyes on the industry by featuring journalists, casters, players, and other industry professionals for a night of laughs and learning as we talk all things competitive gaming.
Panelists:

JP McDaniel [Caster / Host, MLG / State of the Game], Sean Plott ‘DAY[9]’ [Caster, DAY[9] TV], Dan ‘Artosis’ Stemkoski [Caster and one-half of Tastosis, GSL], Geoff ‘iNcontroL’ Robninson [Pro SC2 Player, Team Evil Geniuses], Mark ‘MarkMan’ Julio [Sponsorship Manager, FGC Community Leader and MadCatz], Kevin Lin [COO, Twitch.TV], Marcus ‘Dj WHEAT’ Graham [Caster / Twitch.tv Representative, Twitch.TV], Brad Shoemaker [Editor, GiantBomb.com]

Hero

Hi guys. I'll be on a panel. Please show up and support/check out the discussions! It's about competitive gaming!

---

Competitive gaming has always been a community shunned by mainstream press but it’s still continued to grow. In 2011 we saw the biggest growth for the industry from all angles. We’re looking to get even more mainstream gaming eyes on the industry by featuring journalists, casters, players, and other industry professionals for a night of laughs and learning as we talk all things competitive gaming.
Panelists:

JP McDaniel [Caster / Host, MLG / State of the Game], Sean Plott ‘DAY[9]’ [Caster, DAY[9] TV], Dan ‘Artosis’ Stemkoski [Caster and one-half of Tastosis, GSL], Geoff ‘iNcontroL’ Robninson [Pro SC2 Player, Team Evil Geniuses], Mark ‘MarkMan’ Julio [Sponsorship Manager, FGC Community Leader and MadCatz], Kevin Lin [COO, Twitch.TV], Marcus ‘Dj WHEAT’ Graham [Caster / Twitch.tv Representative, Twitch.TV], Brad Shoemaker [Editor, GiantBomb.com]

Will you be giving away arcade sticks?! :p

Sounds awesome though, will try to make it. Adding it to the OP as well.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

---

Panelists:

Brad shoomzing his way into eSports.
That line is going to be crazy.

Lexxon

First year of PAXEast, Boston cell network went down on Thursday as the influx of travellers all tried getting on 3G.

I'll be curious to see how the 4G networks hold up. Theoretically there should be much more bandwidth to go around on those networks, with the addition of (arguably) less users, since iPhone users aren't on there yet (And stay off ;) ) I'm Verizon, but ATT may be a similar situation.

Sanjuro

I've been to PAX every year and never had that issue with the cell phone service going down citywide. When they moved locations for the second year, people with AT&T and T-Mobile had issues while inside a majority of the building.

I don't think I had problems with my phone other than some dead spots here and there inside; could've been heavy traffic related but I don't think so. I have Verizon.

also guys vote for day for meetup

Patryn

I went to both PAX East and PAX Prime last year, and I had phone issues at both of them. My gf went with me to PAX Prime, and she didn't have problems, but she was on Virgin Mobile at the time (which is just Sprint resold).

So I think it's just AT&T that can't handle the load.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I went to both PAX East and PAX Prime last year, and I had phone issues at both of them. My gf went with me to PAX Prime, and she didn't have problems, but she was on Virgin Mobile at the time (which is just Sprint resold).

So I think it's just AT&T that can't handle the load.

Surprise surprise.

I wonder how the WiFi is going to be; I went in 2010 and it was lousy, but many more people are on smartphones instead now so maybe it'll loosen up a little....

JimmyBoy

Third year going, super excited per usual. I think this year though my buddies and I are going to try to avoid sitting in lines for panels and try and just play more games. The Future of Online Gaming and the Bombcast only, perhaps.

Sitting in the line before the line really isn't fun.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Third year going, super excited per usual. I think this year though my buddies and I are going to try to avoid sitting in lines for panels and try and just play more games. The Future of Online Gaming and the Bombcast only, perhaps.

You can always bring a handheld or play Magic with the cards they (will likely) give in the swag bag. Or maybe even talk to people in line. :O

Patryn

I'm hoping that my memory is right, and the lines for East are better than the lines for Prime. I think East has larger rooms, so I won't waste half of Saturday sitting in line for one thing (yes, I did sit in line for 3 hours to get near-front row seats to the D&D game with PA, Scott Kurtz and Wil Wheaton at Prime. It was also totally worth it.)

Lines I do know I'll be sitting in for at least an hour: Keynote, Bioware Dragon Age and Bombcast.

Mahonay

Banned
Guys, if a meet-up is going to happen we need to decide within the next two days.

Starting from this post and on-going vote for either FRIDAY or SATURDAY after the Expo Hall closes .
Friday would be best for me since I'm going to the Giant Bomb panel and then the Giant Bomb meet up afterward late Saturday. Looks like everyone else is for Saturday though. Hopefully I'll get to meet up with some people from GAF somehow.

Tomorrow at this time I'll be on a train Boston bound! Woo!

Wait, who said there are no lines for games? A friend last year waited 6 hours for Old Republic. 6 BLOODY HOURS. Lines are going to be everywhere.

Is there any good stands for buying merch? My friend is visiting and I was wondering if I should ask him to bring me something back.

Mahonay

Banned
Wait, who said there are no lines for games? A friend last year waited 6 hours for Old Republic. 6 BLOODY HOURS. Lines are going to be everywhere.
There are definitely lines. Some games just have much shorter lines than others. Also the indie area sounds awesome this year.

Friday would be best for me since I'm going to the Giant Bomb panel and then the Giant Bomb meet up afterward late Saturday. Looks like everyone else is for Saturday though. Hopefully I'll get to meet up with some people from GAF somehow.

Tomorrow at this time I'll be on a train Boston bound! Woo!

PAX Train?

If so from where?

Mahonay

Banned
Is there any good stands for buying merch? My friend is visiting and I was wondering if I should ask him to bring me something back.
There are multiple sites/companies that have booths up around where they sell merch. No shortage that's for sure. When you first walk in there's also a PAX East merch area in the front.

Any devs in particular you're looking for? Behemoth has always had lots of stuff, and guys like Halfbrick are also there. Capcom have had a booth with merch in the past, but it's been hit and miss on what they actually put up.

Outside of that, the PA guys have their giant booth, and there are occasional other random sellers with all sorts of game and geekery related stuff. Not sure if that helps your decision.

Coming from Penn Station out of NYC. I couldn't get any other trains that weren't ridiculously expensive so I leave at 6:55 in the morning :( Arrives in Boston at 11:10AM.

Ah im on the Pax Train leaving from Charlottesville. I hope we take over the train.

KariOhki

Neo Member
If anybody's worried about not getting to see a panel, go to my panel, Nintendo World Report Connectivity Jeopardy Live!, because I'm pessimistic (we're up against the keynote) and think that there will be a lot of empty seats.

Also, we'll be looking for contestants from the crowd for the Jeopardy, and you'll be able to win stuff ranging from retro games to random game swag. Our Final Jeopardy winner will get an eShop gift card.

But anyway, so excited/nervous for PAX next week...

I'll be at your panel! I love gameshows. The only other panel I really want to go to is the Mass Effect 3 one, which is why I was asking about lines. I KNOW that's going to be a popular one.

My weird hotel situation is that I'm staying in one hotel Thursday to Friday, and then another one from Friday on. Need to somehow figure out how to get all my stuff from one hotel to the other while still going to the con on Friday.

IIRC Duke Nukem Forever and The Old Republic had the longest lines last year. Nintendo's booth, L.A.Noire, and Child of Eden racked up some pretty big lines too

IIRC Duke Nukem Forever and The Old Republic had the longest lines last year. Nintendo's booth, L.A.Noire, and Child of Eden racked up some pretty big lines too
Valve lines have always and consistently clocked ~2 hours. At Prime, Borderlands clocked in at ~3 ish? Bring a DS/3DS/iOS, make friends with the people in front and behind you, and have fun. Lines are inevitable unless you stay in just the Console Freeplay section.

Moofers

No lines? I miss the :lol smilie.

Last year the line for Duke Nukem Forever was six fucking hours.

Talk about a weak payoff.

I hit PAX Prime in 09 and had the best time playing all the games with no lines. Bayonetta, Split/Second, WET, Darksiders, etc. God damn that was a good year to be at PAX. I must have played Split/Second like 10 times. I couldn't believe more people weren't lining up for it.

My strategy: If a line is going to be longer than an hour it isn't worth it.

There is far too much to see at PAX to just sit in one line for six hours. Sure, it's neat playing a game a few months before it's released, but usually you only get 10 minutes or so of playtime and there's always a chance there will be a demo released online anyways.

I prefer to just wander the show floor as much as possible, jumping into the short lines for smaller games. I managed to play Fez a year ago without waiting in line at all. Hell, I even walked up to SSFIV for the 3DS at the Capcom booth when there was a huge line for the same game at the Nintendo booth on the other side of the expo hall.

If you really want to play one of the big titles with huge lines, show up at the queue room at 8:00. When the Expo Hall opens at 10:00, briskly walk to the booth and you should be near the front of the line. You still end up waiting two hours, but you're not wasting two hours of Expo Hall time.

Top Bottom