• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX West 2017 Attendees Thread

dLMN8R

Steambirds Alliance was a ton of fun! Glad I played it.

Lots of gems in UFO50, but Pingolf was a real stand-out. Definitely try it!

For food: Walk a few blocks to the restaurant Mamnoon Street. Really great Mediterranean food.

Was first in line behind media to Fallout 4 VR today. Did free locomotion. Did not feel great on Vive, I imagine it would be way better on Oculus since it has proper analog sticks. Turning was jarring though, lot of stuttering in their rig. Aiming was wonky, iron sights didn't line up outside a few notable weapons like the 10mm pistol. Most the people I saw simply ended up resorting to firing lots of explosives at things. Was kind of disappointing, really hope they polish that up in time.

Second Sprint Vector from Survios studio (Raw Data) was a blast to play. We ended up getting some of the top times of the day and my buddy was top two so raced for a 7700k. He lost in a close match, but the guy he lost to was a really nice guy from Canada and I think he genuinely wanted it for his rig. Anyway just a lot of fun, really nice workout too in competitive heats. Worked up a sweat playing it.

krae_man

Bioshock party was bullshit.

I was like 120th in line and yet somehow there was double that in front of me when I bailed an hour after it started due to cosplayers and VIPs.

The people who ran that party don't know what they are doing.

Staff kept coming out to count the line but the weren't letting anyone fucking in.

That's 4 hours of my life wasted for nothing.

Bioshock party was bullshit.

I was like 120th in line and yet somehow there was double that in front of me when I bailed an hour after it started due to cosplayers and VIPs.

The people who ran that party don't know what they are doing.

Staff kept coming out to count the line but the weren't letting anyone fucking in.

That's 4 hours of my life wasted for nothing.

Sorry to hear that. Glad we didn't end up trying to get in.

krae_man

Worst part is, the invite specifically said no bags allowed and they let people in line who had bags to go home and put the bag away. And get this, they also gave them a wristband they could use to cut to the front of the line and go right in when they got back.

So mad.

Lexad

These guys are expected, but I'm more angry at the CD guys doing their scam in front of the doors this time. Of course people are accepting it as a free giveaway, if everyone else are passing out things there. I hope they kicked out soon and no one gets hurt.

Oh yeah, I got a little worried when the thing was shoved in my hand and then tried to pawn a "DONATION" off of me. Thanks but no thanks.

Got into the BioShock party, after my group waited an unreasonably long time. Pretty weak. Mediocre deocarations, shitty DJ, and overpriced beers & cocktails. Which would've been perfectly acceptable, had getting not been such a goddamn headache.

I'm trying to determine if it's worth waking up early enough or wait a couple of hours to play Monster Hunter World.

It's probably the only big game I'm interested in before I play more indie stuff. After the Expo Hall closes, I'm heading home. Unfortunately, that means missing the IGN panel around 7:30.

As for today, I played:

-Dissidia NT to get the coin if my team won.
-Sonic Forces to get the Sonic Mania booklet
-Dragon Ball Fighters Z (using Trunks and Android 16)
-Super Slime Arena
-Dunk Lords (NBA Jam-like game)
-Super Meat Boy Forever

Nintendo Nindies Arcade (with MyNintendo Pass)
-Dragon: Marked for Death
-Hunt Down
-Yono and the Celestial Elephant
-Steamworld Dig 2

The indie game SSA is like Super Smash Bros., although it's more like Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale since one-hit kills are the central concept.

Whenever your slime dies, it's revived into a random new slime, with its own single attack. One can have lasers, while the other and spin like a tornado. Another can roll snowballs while another can just bounce on opponents.

It's really enjoyable and I managed to place 2nd out of maybe 12 other players. And if that's not crazy enough, the booth is set up to take literally any controllers (even DK Bongos and Guitar Hero controls. I stuck with a Genesis controller). I really recommend this.

Dunk Lords plays almost exactly like NBA Jam. The main differences besides original characters are specials moves that hinder your opposing team and floor panels that build up money, trigger 3-pointers, or energy for said moves. And money is used to buy gear mid-game to help you to win. Really fun basketball game.

Kritz

Banned
This is my first pax in the US, and by far the most standout thing I've attended / done so far has been the Coffee with SWERY panel. It was so funny, heartfelt and earnest. Bless that man and his crazy games.

Lexad

Man yesterday felt pretty dang productive considering my first ever PAX.

Got in 4 panels - Both of Bungie's Destiny panels (found out a fellow clan member I was meeting up with was a Bungie employee and tried really hard not grilling him on stuff), IGN's Video Games are Dumb panel (most of their Podcast Beyond staff and was legitimately funny), and the Cancelling the Apocalypse live choose your own adventure (had Cissy Jones from Firewatch).

Also got to play The Inpatient which was my first time with VR. Wasn't quite living up to the hype of VR that I heard about, but overall was a unique experience that I want to dive into once the tech improves. Also was able to snag the last spot for the Detroit Become Human without a reservation. SPOILER -
Was able to save the girl but Connor died.
:'(

Gonna be seeing the Easy Allies today so I am super stoked for that.

KRaZyAmmo

So pumped to see easy allies today. If anyone wants to meet up I'm in a black t-shirt with a blue behemoth bag. If you see writing on the back that says "long libe wekfest #1" that's me.

Eric_S

Steambirds Alliance was a ton of fun! Glad I played it.

Lots of gems in UFO50, but Pingolf was a real stand-out. Definitely try it!

For food: Walk a few blocks to the restaurant Mamnoon Street. Really great Mediterranean food.

I'm really happy to hear good things about UFO50, it sounds like could be heaven for pick up and play gaming.

:)

Damn it! MHW is already capped and wait time is 4 hours. Screw that.

Maybe there's a beta coming later?

Will try the FFXIV Boss Challenge then check out the Paramount Theater.

Tried Mario and Metroid on the first day, got a Nintendo Pass for today, do use it to go and play the other Mario stage, or check out the Nindies?

Oh man! Left the FFXIV boss challenge victorious after wiping the first time.

I played for only a couple of months as a Monk, so I had some experience. Luckily, I was with a team whose majority plays this on a regular basis.

krae_man

Ha ha someone got their shoe stuck in an escelator somehow. What happened to the foot attached to said shoe remains a mystery though.

krae_man

I'm off to the airport.

It was fun hanging out and the meetup, and running into the rest of you randomly at panels and on the show floor.

I think this is my last West. Seattle is getting too expensive and those after hours events were just disorganized shit.

Glad I came though, if I didn't go, I'd feel like I missed out, now I know I'm not missing out.

Hope to see some of you at PSX.

I'm off to the airport.

It was fun hanging out and the meetup, and running into the rest of you randomly at panels and on the show floor.

I think this is my last West. Seattle is getting too expensive and those after hours events were just disorganized shit.

Glad I came though, if I didn't go, I'd feel like I missed out, now I know I'm not missing out.

Hope to see some of you at PSX.
Nice running into you again.

I live a few blocks from the convention center - I should have went for it and bought tickets.

That being said, it's nice to see the Gaymer presence! All apps I'm on are filled with "@pax"

How is PAX West compared to South? I really love the chill vibe of South, but it feels like all the over the top shit happens at West. West just seems so... massive and crowded, like you wouldn't really get to do anything but stand in long lines.

How is PAX West compared to South? I really love the chill vibe of South, but it feels like all the over the top shit happens at West. West just seems so... massive and crowded, like you wouldn't really get to do anything but stand in long lines.
Yeah, it's a pretty line-heavy experience. You'll find chill pockets of stuff outside of the show floor, but most spaces get pretty overwhelmed. Monday is usually more relaxed, but it is still bloated with people.

That said, the over-the-top stuff is pretty fuckin' great to see in person. The PAX Wrestling panel is one of the highlights of my year, just a delightful parade of stupid moments and stuff. I threw a hot dog at Dan Ryckert today, and that's something you just can't get from a stream.

It's real bad this year. Capped lines were awful in 2015, but seemed better last year. Now it's back to being ridiculous again.

I heard some Nintendo demos didn't have a time limit?

Yeah, Nintendo essentially had a line to get into an open booth where you could play a variety of stuff - and they let people in as others left. Combine that with a 15 minute Mario demo, and it's a pretty slow moving line.

ZugZug123

Damn it! MHW is already capped and wait time is 4 hours. Screw that.

Maybe there's a beta coming later?

Will try the FFXIV Boss Challenge then check out the Paramount Theater.

Friend has been trying to get into that line for 3 days. Ended up talking to the guy capping the line and was told majority had medical badges so they got in 5 mins before the general population. Are there really that many people with medical badges? Also they all end up on the MHW line? So weird.

If you want a cute Pinny badge just for
playing a game, go to Annapurna booth on 6th floor and play Donut County. You get a badge with a raccoon holding a pink donut :3

krae_man

My flight is overbooked by nine.

I'm not doing anything tomorrow so I'll see if I can milk the largest voucher I can out of this depending on what the alternate flights are.

Have to wait until the gate opens to find out. Wish I could know now.

Hoping to get at least one return flight out of this.

Had a wonderful first PAX West, even though I mostly checked out the Expo Hall and such.

If you saw a Blue Shell there on Fri/Sat, that was me.

Got to try out multiple demos, such as Forces, Fighters Z, Odyssey, and more!

Now to head to the airport soon for my flight back home later.

krae_man

Had a wonderful first PAX West, even though I mostly checked out the Expo Hall and such.

If you saw a Blue Shell there on Fri/Sat, that was me.

Got to try out multiple demos, such as Forces, Fighters Z, Odyssey, and more!

Now to head to the airport soon for my flight back home later.

Blue jumpsuit? I think I was right behind you to play Odyssey

xillyriax

If you want a cute Pinny badge just for
playing a game, go to Annapurna booth on 6th floor and play Donut County. You get a badge with a raccoon holding a pink donut :3
About how long is the demo? I'm stuck with booth work but would love to grab that badge.

Top Bottom