• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday 2 (2013) coming to Switch later this year

Didn't this get awful support for the PS4/One version (with a memorable twitter exchange from one of the developers regarding it), or am I thinking of another game?

nynt9

Didn't this get awful support for the PS4/One version (with a memorable twitter exchange from one of the developers regarding it), or am I thinking of another game?

No you are correct. I loved this game at launch, but it should be avoided at all costs at this point.

Terrible performance on console, pay2win microtransactions and shady/assholish devs.

Sciz

IIRC that was about the last gen versions, but yeah, Overkill's track record for ongoing console version support is somewhere down in the basement.

I've never played Payday and I'm interested soley because it's a portable FPS, we don't have too many of those.

GIF from the presentation, presumably Switch footage:
TgtUDq0.gif

Don't buy this. Overkill has worse console-version support than Valve did before Valve decided to completely drop console development.

nynt9

I've never played Payday and I'm interested soley because it's a FPS, we don't have too many of those.

GIF from the presentation, presumably Switch footage:
TgtUDq0.gif

I would caution against preordering and wait for impressions knowing the developer's track record. Shame the only FPSs we got so far is a tainted one like this.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Game was broken on XB1 for about a year. Matchmaking wouldn't work.

With the way Overkill treats their console fanbase, they don't deserve a single cent from any of them. Fuck them.

Shikoba

Definitely one I wasn't expecting. I probably won't get it (as I already own it), but I'm curious how it will turn out on Switch.

nynt9

Definitely one I wasn't expecting. I probably won't get it (as I already own it), but I'm curious how it will turn out on Switch.

I'm really curious as to how this partnership happened, really. And how they decided to port it to switch.

Maddocks

paid 5 bucks for it on a flash sale for ps4, and after reading about the long waits between patches and content for consoles and how their twitter page says,"NEW STUFF FOR CONSOLES COMING REAL SOON!" and that was made in Feb and has yet to update the game and it doesn't look like it is going to come anytime soon probably wont update till switch release.

I say avoid at all costs.

I'm really curious as to how this partnership happened, really. And how they decided to port it to switch.

It's not completely out there, though it's still a bit strange. When you think about the basic format of the game - four player co-op shooter with non-standard objectives - there's some similarity with a certain other title that blew up big for Nintendo, and they may be hoping to convert that into a playerbase for Payday 2. If they can get a playerbase for Payday 2, then it's a player base for:
1) Multiplayer titles (not made by Nintendo)
2) First Person Shooters
3) A Mature title that isn't aimed at the J
Otaku crowd (compared to say, Senran Kagura)

Which if successful, can be used to try and argue for the Switch's viability as a platform to devs and/or publishers that are currently hesitant about hopping onboard, especially if they were burned last gen by the Wii U.

I wonder how botched this port will be, and if there will be another Twitter fiasco when someone asks a simple question.

Find out later this year!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I've never played Payday and I'm interested soley because it's a portable FPS, we don't have too many of those.

It's also a multiplayer coop shooter that's heavily depending on coordination. So....you need voice chat to really get something out of this game.

edit: sorry for the dp, somehow had this open in 2 tabs

I still can't wait to see what Digital Foundry say. Given that it runs terribly on PS4 and XBOX One, I wonder if Sumo has actually done it justice on Switch.

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member
I enjoy this game and the first one. I hope that they provide as much as possible here, and not the poor support consoles have generally received with content.

Top Bottom