• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC-Age: 8800GTS 320MB reviews out

Vaporak

Gorgie said:
I wish someone made some sort of directx 10 patch for xp because I don't want vista, as its expensive, and bloated.

They did, it's called OpenGL, maybe you can convince some dev's to use it. How'd you think Nvidia's DX10 demos ran on XP. :)

M3d10n

Vaporak said:
They did, it's called OpenGL, maybe you can convince some dev's to use it. How'd you think Nvidia's DX10 demos ran on XP. :)

Actually, it's called DirectX 9.0L, which is supposed to support all shader model 4.0 features. If Microsoft didn't do that, the upcoming OpenGL release would become the only "cross-platform" (aka: cross-Windows) way to do SM 4.0.

LiveWire said:
120GB SATA drive and cables was another $150+, CPU was around $300. Plus I bought a 5.1 Creative surround set with Audigy 2 Platinum. This time around it won't be as expensive since I can re-use parts (I was going from a P2 450 Mhz to my current computer in 2003 :lol). But my point stands, it can be very expensive for great performance and the diminishing returns is something that must be considered.

Edit: the "rose-colored glasses" comment is true. I think a lot of you are underestimating your expenses a bit. Anyway, to veer the thread in a different direction, any suggestions on ATI vs Nvidia for my next rig? Or is that even an issue anymore? I think I will take the AMD plunge now instead of Intel for my next rig, any suggestions on which AMD chip (dual-core) to get? I'm not up to speed on their naming/numbering scheme.

My comp sounds very simular to yours (3.2GHz P4 w/ HT, 2GB RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro (128) Audigy 2, 250GB SATA HDD, 19' CRT Mon), I paid $2,245 (it's a Dell XPS), and it will be 3 years old next month. The only things I ever upgraded besides adding in another HDD (320GB) and a TV Tuner was the video card (replaced it with a Radeon X850 Pro), and I can run all the newer games at decent resolutions (though I know they could look better). I can run Oblivion at 1600x1200 with jsut about every feature turned on high (except for HDR lightign since my video card doesn't support it). FEAR was a lot more taxing though.

Anyway there is no doubt that PC gaming is more expensive than console gaming, but I look at gaming PC as good investments. It's sad that my almsot 3 year old rig still runs faster than all of my friends newer non-gamign PCs (and not jsut because they bog it down with spyware and viruses). Yeah I'm sure I could save more money by building my own, but this isn't even an option for most mainstream gamers...

Anyway these cards look very nice and I'm sure they're worth the cost. I plan on buying a new comp in a few months, it will be good to see what ATI has to offer, I heard one of their cards is going to have a gig of RAM...

Top Bottom