• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Celine

Great game by Game Freak, too bad it is so rare and expensive.

bazaru-degozaru-no-game-degozaru-japan.png

Mercutio

Anybody doing repros of that turd of a game, Space Fantasy Zone?

I need some Weponalds in my life.

Tobias did, I have a copy. It's an earlier boot of his though and pretty much a high end CD-R with nice packaging. I think music is missing in a level but otherwise it's complete.

piggychan

Great game by Game Freak, too bad it is so rare and expensive.

bazaru-degozaru-no-game-degozaru-japan.png

someone.. somewhere (on another forum.. somewhere in Japan) else has this in their collection..

pic is quite old tho I think taken around 2008
bazaarucolxg9.jpg

EDIT

Also if anyone needs any replacement for vinyl sleeve wallets you can try out this guy. They also have an ebay shop under the same name seymoronion but this is their direct website:

http://www.seymoronion.com/index_2.html

Mercutio

Anywhere to buy now?

Not that I know of. If it helps, it isn't a very good game. Very wonky hit detection in some areas. I'd suggest burning a copy yourself and seeing; that really wouldn't be any different than the Tobias edition since he used CDRs for those.

someone.. somewhere (on another forum.. somewhere in Japan) else has this in their collection..

EDIT

Also if anyone needs any replacement for vinyl sleeve wallets you can try out this guy. They also have an ebay shop under the same name seymoronion but this is their direct website:

http://www.seymoronion.com/index_2.html

Oh shit, is he making replacement HuCard trays? Also, what IS that Gamefreak game like? I've seen that collection on the PCE forum and wondered.

piggychan

Not that I know of. If it helps, it isn't a very good game. Very wonky hit detection in some areas. I'd suggest burning a copy yourself and seeing; that really wouldn't be any different than the Tobias edition since he used CDRs for those.

Oh shit, is he making replacement HuCard trays? Also, what IS that Gamefreak game like? I've seen that collection on the PCE forum and wondered.

I think they are in production those card trays.

its called Bazaru De Gozaru No Game De Gozar バザールでござーるのゲームでござーる
and released around 1996 so it's one the late pc engine games and probably had a very limited print run.

I think it's an adventure puzzle game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M19qwN2D90c

Mercutio

I think they are in production those card trays.

its called Bazaru De Gozaru No Game De Gozar バザールでござーるのゲームでござーる
and released around 1996 so it's one the late pc engine games and probably had a very limited print run.

I think it's an adventure puzzle game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M19qwN2D90c

Oh wow! That's incredibly charming. Looks like the text is mostly Katakana?

I did recently pick up a sealed copy of Bakuden Unbalanced Zone, mostly for the incredible intro sequence. I'm going to take a crack at that soon.

319107_front.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkw8eE_nbRU

Sega CD Gameplay: http://www.segagagadomain.com/movie-pages-mcd/bakuden.htm

Here's a question.

My Duo R pad cable is short as balls, much like my SuFami pad and SCPH-1000 pad. Is the TG-16 pad cable longer? I'm aware extensions exist but I don't use third party accessories.

Cheers.

Mercutio

Here's a question.

My Duo R pad cable is short as balls, much like my SuFami pad and SCPH-1000 pad. Is the TG-16 pad cable longer? I'm aware extensions exist but I don't use third party accessories.

Cheers.

Good lord man, just buy the extensions from monoprice. That's an insane line to draw in the sand.

piggychan

Eh, you're probably right. If there isn't an official version of something then I guess I'll have to settle for third party, like my PCE SCART lead.

Just sit more closer to your pc engine/Duo as illustrated in the manual. That way you get better acquainted with your game console! :D

manual.jpg

Eh, you're probably right. If there isn't an official version of something then I guess I'll have to settle for third party, like my PCE SCART lead.

The controller plug types for the TG16 and PCE/Duo are standard types (the TG16 is a type of DIN plug, and the PCE/Duo is a mini-DIN), so it's not really "official" versus "clone" -- it's just that standard cable with a NEC logo on it or whatever, or pretty much the same exact thing without that.

I know there's an official TG16 controller extension cable, but I don't know about the Duo/PCE plug, which is of course different from the original TG16. But it doesn't matter, just get a cheap one.

piggychan

guys what do you think about component image quality for pc engine? I might get one from a modder but he doesn't have an RGB monitor to do the RGB modding so next best will be S-Video or component.

Mercutio

guys what do you think about component image quality for pc engine? I might get one from a modder but he doesn't have an RGB monitor to do the RGB modding so next best will be S-Video or component.

Man, I'd just hold out for RGB. What if the TV you're using doesn't do 240p?

Mercutio

well it's a panasonic plasma and it's pretty much displayed most stuff I've chucked at it.. I just wonder what the picture quality will be like in component.

Gotcha. The composite on most TG / PCE stuff is pretty good, and the RGB is great... I'm sure the Component would be pretty stellar too.

Heck I'm playing a TG16 all this week on a trip on friggin' RF and it's still awesome.

D.Lo

well it's a panasonic plasma and it's pretty much displayed most stuff I've chucked at it.. I just wonder what the picture quality will be like in component.
I had issues with component 240p on my Panasonic plasma.

I was using SNES and my RGB PC Engine Duo through a RGB to component converter (no scaling), and I always had a single horizontal line in the middle of the picture. like the TV's scaler didn't fully understand the signal. It was a eat little box for my component CRT, but my plasma didn't like the signal.

Wii VC was fine however.

This was several years ago, sometime before the Framemesiter launched, and it was what first sent me on the 'better scaler' quest.

What're you implying then, he isn't to be trusted? lol

Fudoh provides exceptional resources.

I'm not implying anything. I don't doubt that if you can create hard-to-distinguish-from-the-real-stuff repros, that you know your stuff.

I just wouldn't knowingly buy any of his stuff. It's more of an ethical thing.

My ethics it to give money to someone who works for it, not hoard it.

So you would give money, provided you'd have had the choice, to the fan translators whose work Fudoh "borrowed" to sell his products to you too? Then our ethics are quite similar.

Mercutio

So you would give money, provided you'd have had the choice, to the fan translators whose work Fudoh "borrowed" to sell his products to you too? Then our ethics are quite similar.

You're bringing in stuff unrelated to the valuable wealth of information at the XRGB mini info site though. Yes, we all know about the bootlegs. Yes, the ethics are questionable.

I can't really afford to avoid everything from Beyer and Nestle because of their indiscretions though, can I? That's not really the world we live in. Yeah, I'm pretty much Gowdin'ing this.

You're bringing in stuff unrelated to the valuable wealth of information at the XRGB mini info site though. Yes, we all know about the bootlegs. Yes, the ethics are questionable.

I can't really afford to avoid everything from Beyer and Nestle because of their indiscretions though, can I? That's not really the world we live in. Yeah, I'm pretty much Gowdin'ing this.

Well, I was asked if I was implying the information on his site couldn't be trusted.
So I replied that I wouldn't buy his stuff because of the reasons mentioned above. But that I assumed that his knowledge of PCE hardware was probably quite vast given the whole bootleg thing.

How is him creating near-perfect bootlegs irrelevant to him knowing PCE hardware through and through. I think those are not separate things, they're closely related actually.

eXistor

Already got me some PC Engine games (nothing too special at the moment though, these games are expensive as hell!) and in a few days I'll finally have my RGB modded PC Engine Duo R.

I really want to get more into shooters, but the ones I really wanna play are just to costly for me, but I'll keep my eye out for any good deals. Even a common game such as Blazing Lazers commands a hefty price it seems...

Khaz

What's the difference between making a disc myself and asking for someone else to make a disc for me? Is it the exchange of money that troubles you? I pay him for the object, not the data in it. If I just wanted the translation, I know where to find it and I don't need to ask permission to download it and burn it myself.

Mercutio

What's the difference between making a disc myself and asking for someone else to make a disc for me? Is it the exchange of money that troubles you? I pay him for the object, not the data in it. If I just wanted the translation, I know where to find it and I don't need to ask permission to download it and burn it myself.

Hell, he gave me the discs of those games for free. Really at this point he's just charging for the packaging.

Mercutio

Already got me some PC Engine games (nothing too special at the moment though, these games are expensive as hell!) and in a few days I'll finally have my RGB modded PC Engine Duo R.

I really want to get more into shooters, but the ones I really wanna play are just to costly for me, but I'll keep my eye out for any good deals. Even a common game such as Blazing Lazers commands a hefty price it seems...

Horrifyingly when I got into PC Engine, it was the "cheap alternative" to TG16. Now 40 games later, I'm glad I got the stuff I wanted early. I couldn't afford the same collection today as easily.

You should be able to get Gunhed for around €25 with some luck, even on eBay. Just hold out and don't go paying Buy It Now prices. Not super cheap, but not too bad either, I think.

Yes, I strongly dislike money, that must be it...

Seriously though: Let's say Radiohead puts their new album up for (free) download on the internet. In your logic it would be okay for anyone, even another publisher than Radiohead's own publisher/distributor/..., to just download the album without asking, burn it to disc and then sell it to you and make money out of it? Because what's the difference with you downloading it and burning it? Even if they're "only charging for the packaging", there's most likely still someone's work (the artist who created the artwork for the packaging) that's being reproduced without giving them a cut.

Not only are you condoning piracy, but you just threw the whole intellectual rights legislation under the bus here. :)

I'm done with this anyway, let's talk games again.

AKA "I've made my point and want the last word on this. Let's move on."

That's not what I meant. I just don't feel this discussion is going anywhere, when people ask me stuff like "Is it the exchange of money that troubles you?". That is just ridiculizing any argument I tried to make before, rather than bringing up any valid points. So I'm good and don't need more of that.

Mercutio

That's not what I meant. I just don't feel this discussion is going anywhere, when people ask me stuff like "Is it the exchange of money that troubles you?". That is just ridiculizing any argument I tried to make before, rather than bringing up any valid points. So I'm good and don't need more of that.

Okay okay, you're right. I'm happy to move on too.

You have to admit that Jaeger's timing is hilarious though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yea I'm late but you can buy repro PCE games!?

CD games. Pretty sure repro HuCards aren't a thing.

People have been talking about labeled bootlegs of existing games, though. The PCE community seems to look the other way on bootlegs of released games as long as they're clearly labeled. It's kind of odd. I don't see people getting excited about labeled bootlegs of games like Hagane, MUSHA, or Little Samson or anything like that.

And I keep calling them "bootlegs" instead of "repros" because I feel like that term should only be reserved for games that either weren't officially released or weren't released in certain regions.

Lol. Honestly outside of a my tunnel vision collecting, the entirety of the retro gaming scene is rather new to me. I knew about NES/SNES/GEN, but not PCE.

Like similar platforms of the time such as Sega CD, the PC Engine CD games don't have copy protection. You can use CD-Rs, or unlicensed pressed CDs.

Top Bottom