• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

AmyS

Here's a couple more PCE previews. These are from EGM #33 April 1992.

ynS9eNQ.jpg

6IRJKzW.jpg

I got my recapped Duo back from Keith Courage last Thursday and here it is running Dynastic Hero on my TV in s-video:

Besides Dynastic Hero, I have been enjoying a feast of great Turbo and PCE games, reliving my library of titles I haven't been able to play in over 11 years. I'm going to post a lot more pics of my games running in s-video as soon as I can get some more uploaded. The system is also modded for SCART RGB and hopefully in the near future I'll be getting either a SCART HDMI converter or SCART compatible display of some kind (the former is more likely). I can't recommend Keith Courage from the PC Engine FX forums enough, he did an excellent job cleaning up, repairing and modding my system and for roughly half what it would have cost me to buy a modded Duo-R from doujin dance with all the features I wanted, big thanks to Shin Johnpv for directing me to him.

piggychan

I got my recapped Duo back from Keith Courage last Thursday and here it is running Dynastic Hero on my TV in s-video:

Besides Dynastic Hero, I have been enjoying a feast of great Turbo and PCE games, reliving my library of titles I haven't been able to play in over 11 years. I'm going to post a lot more pics of my games running in s-video as soon as I can get some more uploaded. The system is also modded for SCART RGB and hopefully in the near future I'll be getting either a SCART HDMI converter or SCART compatible display of some kind (the former is more likely). I can't recommend Keith Courage from the PC Engine FX forums enough, he did an excellent job cleaning up, repairing and modding my system and for roughly half what it would have cost me to buy a modded Duo-R from doujin dance with all the features I wanted, big thanks to Shin Johnpv for directing me to him.

Glad you are happy with it. I went for component and glad I did. Your colors are kind of similar to my tv but I 'm not a purist in the fact that it has to be played in 4:3
dsending2.jpg

EDIT

got a small sony BVM in the post recently and now comes the tweaking part... I now want a bigger screen but the small 9" screen kind of matches the original pc engine's small charm
_DSC0001.jpg

I didn't need to order any extra stuff thank goodness as I just use the same component cables I've always been using.
8217E067-152C-4EE1-A7AD-9A1AE2C4E4C1.jpg

Just need to adjust contrasts/brightness now I guess..
_DSC0002.jpg

Plus got these recently too. Wonderboy III Monster lair was my first cd-rom purchase back in the 80's and for me it was a system seller because I loved WBIII in the arcades. Although Emerald Dragon doesn't advertise it but I swear switching around the super cd-rom card with the Arcade card you get noticeably less loading times between the two.
143961EC-E336-4B5E-B88B-5179A0284A7B.jpg

BriBri

Glad you are happy with it. I went for component and glad I did. Your colors are kind of similar to my tv but I 'm not a purist in the fact that it has to be played in 4:3

EDIT

got a small sony BVM in the post recently and now comes the tweaking part... I now want a bigger screen but the small 9" screen kind of matches the original pc engine's small charm

I didn't need to order any extra stuff thank goodness as I just use the same component cables I've always been using.

Plus got these recently too. Wonderboy III Monster lair was my first cd-rom purchase back in the 80's and for me it was a system seller because I loved WBIII in the arcades. Although Emerald Dragon doesn't advertise it but I swear switching around the super cd-rom card with the Arcade card you get noticeably less loading times between the two.

Your TV/PC-E look SO cute! Giving me ideas for my new place!

dsending2.jpg

EDIT

_DSC0001.jpg

8217E067-152C-4EE1-A7AD-9A1AE2C4E4C1.jpg

_DSC0002.jpg

143961EC-E336-4B5E-B88B-5179A0284A7B.jpg

Awesome set up!

Teknoman

Yes, my TV has component, SCART to component converter might be better picture/colors than SCART to HDMI?

Not that I know of, just easier if you've already got a crt with component inputs. Of course scart to hdmi you wouldn't have to worry about an extra cable (3.5mm to rca from headphone port) for audio, and just direct scart connect... well that's just pretty no worries at all lol.

Edit: Bomberman figures?

Glad you got your system back and it turned out great, KC knows what he's doing with those systems.

Thanks again for your recommendation, will probably be sending him my TE in the future.

Some more random shots tonight for fun as I play through my library, Bonk 3 and Detana! Twin Bee:

npzrGQA.jpg

Celine

Congratulations, Dynastic Hero is a very good game (I even prefer it over Wonderboy in Monsterworld for the soundtrack).

Congratulations, Dynastic Hero is a very good game (I even prefer it over Wonderboy in Monsterworld for the soundtrack).

Thanks, yes the soundtrack is so good, even the file select screen has beautiful music I could listen to all day. Good thing I held on to the game all these years, it's a great Westone title overall and almost impossible to find. I'm going to play through the whole game in the next few months as one of my big summer titles.

Problem ? :p

_DSC0003.jpg

_DSC0002_1.jpg

Wow! :O How'd you get all these? What is the silver Bomberman '93 item? Case of some kind?

piggychan

Wow! :O How'd you get all these? What is the silver Bomberman '93 item? Case of some kind?

it's a pencil case which I think was given out as a prize during those hudson bomberman tournaments back in the day.

b9307.jpg

I got them from yahoo auctions, ebay and during my trips to Hong Kong back in the 90's

it's a pencil case which I think was given out as a prize during those hudson bomberman tournaments back in the day.

b9307.jpg

I got them from yahoo auctions, ebay and during my trips to Hong Kong back in the 90's

Sweet, any idea how much an item like that would run now? Also what magazine is that from?

piggychan

Sweet, any idea how much an item like that would run now? Also what magazine is that from?

I only paid about 900 yen for that pencil case minus the shipping and proxy fees. If you are someone outside of japan you might need to go through yahoo auctions from a 3rd party service.

There were several pc engine mags in japan. I think there were:

pc engine fan,
179013025.jpg

pc engine gekkan
front.jpg

and dengekki pc engine.
th

I only paid about 900 yen for that pencil case minus the shipping and proxy fees. If you are someone outside of japan you might need to go through yahoo auctions from a 3rd party service.

There were several pc engine mags in japan. I think there were:

pc engine fan,
179013025.jpg

pc engine gekkan
front.jpg

and dengekki pc engine.
th

Cool, thanks for all the info.

I need some replacement AV cables for my Duo, is there any potential drawback to these apparently custom made generic ones in the auction below?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122022362303

Same question goes for generic Turbo controller extension cables.

Thank goodness I kept my American Turbo games all these years, a loose Hucard of Bonk 3 is on eBay right now for $257. Kind of kicking myself for passing on the Super CD version of Bonk 3 during the TZD days, auction for that right now is $1,249. o_O Also how on earth can the U.S. version of Magical Chase let alone any '90s console video game seriously be valued at over $19,000? Unless fellow TG-16 fan Kanye West gets an insane hankering for a cute 'em up for his daughter to tape to her crib, who on earth is ever going to buy that and how can the seller seriously think they ever will sell it at that price?

That super darius also exists as a hucard release by the name of Darius Plus (apparently it also takes advantage of the supergrafx) but the CD version has a CD soundtrack and more bosses and an intro.

Good to know, I was mulling picking up Darius and was wondering what perks the SCD version had. Still kind of tempted to get the Hucard version though just for fun as an additional reason to use the old Supergrafx. :)

You had your console modded for RGB right? I don't think you can get regular composite out of the AV port any more, I think it'd just be RGB now, but I could be wrong. Maybe shoot him an email and ask.

As for extension cables, they are not pretty because of the color, but these work PERFECTLY.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=534

I've got a pair for my Duo right now. Just to note TurboGrafx16 and TurboDuo controller ports are a different size. So this will work on your Duo.

You had your console modded for RGB right? I don't think you can get regular composite out of the AV port any more, I think it'd just be RGB now, but I could be wrong. Maybe shoot him an email and ask.

As for extension cables, they are not pretty because of the color, but these work PERFECTLY.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=534

I've got a pair for my Duo right now. Just to note TurboGrafx16 and TurboDuo controller ports are a different size. So this will work on your Duo.

Thanks!

Also, I asked KC if he should install RCA jacks for audio when I'm using s-video and he said 'I can install RCA jacks if you really want but you can still use a regular AV cable in that port for audio.'

ohh you're using it for audio not the composite video, my mistake. I thought you were going to use Composite video again.

No way would I try to keep composite video, haha. All the pics you see were taken in s-video, will start using the SCART cable when I get an RGB display of some kind.

Here's our conversation on Facebook just for clarity:

Me: Please install RCA jacks because I assume that's the only way I'll get audio when using s-video.

Turbografxfan/Keith Courage:
You can still use the regular AV cable for audio when using s-video if you don't want to add the rca jacks. RCA jacks on the rear are really just a personal preference. Meaning you don't necessarily need them.

Me: Ah ok, I'm just going to use the regular AV cable for audio then with the s-video, please don't install the RCA jacks, sorry for the confusion on my part.

Edit: All my pads are Duo controllers except my TG-16 pad (owned the $50 Keith Courage TG-16 box set a year before I got my Duo( and I use a TG-16-Duo adaptor for that which comes in very handy as an extra controller option. I'm definitely going to get some of those cables you linked me to because I have some friends who can't wait to play Bomberman '94 again (we used to play it all the time before my system died) not to mention Godzilla which probably has one of the most easily enjoyable 2P fighting modes ever and is one of, if not the best of any of the Godzilla games ever made as well.

Edit: I assume those Duo compatible extension cords can also be used to extend the length of a Duo multitap right? I.E. Multitap hooked into an extra extension cord going into the system wouldn't create any kind of input lag issues?

Edit: I assume those Duo compatible extension cords can also be used to extend the length of a Duo multitap right? I.E. Multitap hooked into an extra extension cord going into the system wouldn't create any kind of input lag issues?

I don't have a Duo Multitap myself so I can't say for 100% sure, but I would imagine it should work no problem.

DragonSlayer - The Legend of Heroes

AB1659F1-B238-4801-8089-C8784A689BA6.jpg

Thought it might be, thanks. Outside of Ys 1&2 I have almost no TG-16/PCE RPG experience, was thinking about picking up Cosmic Fantasy 2, can't believe how plentiful and affordable new copies of that are still. How does it hold up as an older RPG?

Edit: What is the game in between Sorcerian and DS?

piggychan

Thought it might be, thanks. Outside of Ys 1&2 I have almost no TG-16/PCE RPG experience, was thinking about picking up Cosmic Fantasy 2, can't believe how plentiful and affordable new copies of that are still. How does it hold up as an older RPG?

Edit: What is the game in between Sorcerian and DS?

AIII A-train

Excited and a bit nervous, I'm going to send off my Duo-R to be Scart component modded by Keith Courage... taking the plunge!

It will probably take a couple of weeks before he begins to work on your system and that's when he starts to email you and stuff. He's kinda busy and backlogged with mods and stuff.

AIII A-train

It will probably take a couple of weeks before he begins to work on your system and that's when he starts to email you and stuff. He's kinda busy and backlogged with mods and stuff.

Nothing to be nervous about Keith does amazing work, your Duo-R will be well taken care of.

yup, absolutely worth it though - he's an absolute treasure to the scene

Thanks for the reassurance, my Duo-R was shipped off today. I'm totally ok with the fact he might be backlogged, I have other systems to play in the meantime. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. :)

AIII A-train.

Ah, train simulator?

Excited and a bit nervous, I'm going to send off my Duo-R to be Scart component modded by Keith Courage... taking the plunge!

Don't know if you've been following my pics above but a few weeks ago I got my U.S. Duo back from Keith Courage and he did a fantastic job of cleaning, repairing, recapping and modding it for both RGB and s-video. I just need to get an RGB option of some kind so I can start using the SCART cable, in the meantime the s-video quality looks great. Just try to be patient because as others said sometimes he takes awhile to respond to messages because apparently he is back logged with a lot of mod requests. Rest assured he does quality work and you will have a nicely cleaned up and repaired Duo.

Btw for DUO audio, you can also roll ala Genesis Model 1, and use a 3.5MM to RCA audio cable from the headphone jack.

Yeah, I finally found my Duo AV cable today, before that I was using my bass headphones which actually worked great, Dynastic Hero in stereo = aural bliss. I need to get some decent speakers for my TV now.

Also, have any of Doujin Dance's units failed on people or had serious issues? Shin Jonpv said he uses too much hot glue and people have run into problems with his Duos but it'd be interesting to hear more specifics. Until I got my Duo fixed and modded by Keith Courage I thought Doujin Dance was folks' best bet. Maybe someone can link to or compile a list of issues his units are known to have in case newcomers here ask, could be useful for those who are still deciding who to send to.

piggychan

Ah, train simulator?

Aye I just wish there is like an quick reference guide on the amiga/dos/mac which i can find and print as the english manual for those computer versions is over 100 pages!

Also why arent more people talking about Legend of the Valkyrie? the theme sounds iconic as hell, not to mention the gameplay is fun.

Well you know compared to the arcade it's a bit watered down. But as a game in its own right it's great. It should have gotten an official release as it's not a text heavy game.
The game is lengthy and definitely a few hours of fun to be had and certainly can appeal to the dungeon explorer/neutopia/zelda crowd. Another point in it's favor is the game has multiple paths to take and that adds to the replay ability.

Graphics no where near match the arcade with all the fancy Namco arcade hardware and the 2 player is missing. However the pc engine does try to attempt some sprite scaling bringing something novel to the strategy especially useful for some of those bosses with the BIG spell.

v27Nlg.gif

Z6D3YE.gif

The other thing is while I think its fair to say Namco were pretty prolific as a pc engine publisher but some have argued that they were a bit lazy in their pc engine ports. Some of the early games even Dragon Spirit (1988) had some raster effects which I wish could have been exploited and used in Valkyrie no Densetsu somewhere and somehow but ah oh well.
Check out this effect during Dragon Spirit's ending:
M8mM51.gif

The game has a few spells for you to collect along the way which also adds a bit to the adventuring and replay ability.

Music for this I find satifactory and really adds to enjoyment of the games. It has that upbeat lets go on an adventure type of tunes and personally I think all the music tracks to this game are great.

For a easy cheat code...
Sound test:
Press Run to pause game play, then press Up + I + II. The number "00", representing a sound, will appear next to "Magic". Press Left or Right to change the sound number then press I to play the current sound.

The original japanese game can be played to some extent without japanese but there will be instances where you will have to answer a question correctly in order to obtain some weapons and spells from finding hidden villagers locked away in many a dungeon and that's another task to solve throughout the game! I don't want to keep repeating about the graphics greatly reduced on the pc engine and a lot of the fancy effects have gone but the pc engine does have some exclusives like a boss not found in any other version of Valkyrie no Densetsu and an extra area to explore which is also pc engine exclusive.

But thankfully someone has brought out a home translation and if you have an everdrive or emulator you can play the game fully in English now.

Vid of the english translated rom and there should be a link for the patch too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UstoUTj9aPY

Personally I really do like this game. I think the pc engine version should be celebrated as a unique port Namco have provided a game that has exclusive content and even remixed some of the areas. Please if you like action adventure do yourself a favor and just buy it or play the translated rom on emulator/everdrive.

My Valkyrie figurine
B5924D4B-F0DB-4D34-9BFD-5B7A08A25167.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Also, have any of Doujin Dance's units failed on people or had serious issues? Shin Jonpv said he uses too much hot glue and people have run into problems with his Duos but it'd be interesting to hear more specifics. Until I got my Duo fixed and modded by Keith Courage I thought Doujin Dance was folks' best bet. Maybe someone can link to or compile a list of issues his units are known to have in case newcomers here ask, could be useful for those who are still deciding who to send to.

I would like to know this as well.

Top Bottom