• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer criticizes RimWorld for being too "heteronormative".

mckmas8808

Banned
From an article, translated to English:
Transsexual used to be a negative term that meant disease. Its meaning changed when trans movements used the term as their own. But because many trans do not want to include pathologized terms, they prefer the term "transgender" instead. Queertrans also pointed to me out that because the term includes the word sex, it gives the false impression that trans people make the change only because they are interested in doing sex, which is a myth. Being trans does not have to do with sexual orientation but with gender identity, so the word sex justifies the hyperbolic sexualization of trans people (see trans, transgender, cis)

Thanks for that.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
How old are you? Just for curiosity (since you said you knew it since 1990)

You have a really cool story.

I was avoiding saying it in the Age Gap thread, but I might as well fess up...
I'm a younger Gen-Xer...born in 1975.

Don't worry...
tenor.gif

Also, here is more of my story I've shared before::)
I grew up in a Christian home and am a person of strong Christian faith myself. I never suffered sexual abuse, and never got into drugs or anything else deemed unhealthy. My family was happy and I was a mostly well-adjusted kid. Still, I knew I was different from about the age of 4; feeling much more in common with girls than boys. I never wanted to do anything I felt would be disapproved of or bring stress to my parents, so I kept my feelings to myself as much as possible. I was a very quiet kid in school, and usually stayed in my own world...focusing mostly on drawing and eventually videogames for escape. I was always kind and considerate, and had empathy even for those that picked on me...so I never really ever got mad at anyone no matter what they did. Still, the bullying and derogatory remarks began seriously instilling the feeling that there was something deeply wrong with me, so I did my best to hide and fit in...although my efforts were not very effective. The occasional anti-LGBT+ church sermon, as well as extremely negative representation in the media, certainly didn't help matters.

I started disliking my body at a very young age, and the feeling was compounded by the fact that my body had a couple of genital abnormalities and malformations which I had to have surgery on when I was 11. (I would find out only a couple of years ago that I was epigenetically effected by a drug called Diethylstilbestrol, which has since the 1940s caused millions of people to be born with many side effects, including many forms of sexual differentiation and gene abnormalities.) Slowly after that surgery, testosterone began slowly changing my body through puberty (although I would remain mostly asexual for the remainder of my life). The more my body changed, the more I hated my reflection and felt bad about myself. Finally around age 14, I saw post-op transgender woman Caroline Cossey on The Phil Donahue Show...and realized there actually were others like me out in the world. I wanted to medically and surgically transition and live life as a woman, but I was still far too scared to let anyone know.

Fast forward now 20-something years of trying my absolute hardest to live as a 'regular guy' out of fear of rejection from all I held dear, as well as a fear that God disapproved...even though it was never anything I ever chose to feel, and often fought hard against and tried to pray away. Living through all that time trying to fit into the role opposite my own gender identity caused me eventual intense self-hatred, depression and anxiety, and eventually suicidal feelings. For a couple of years, I actually felt it was better for me to die and take my secret to the grave rather than risk losing everyone I loved. Eventually, I decided it would hurt everyone worse if I killed myself, so I decided to give my life one more chance by doing what I had wanted to 20 years earlier...I decided to come out as transgender and begin transition.

Now, I am a post-op transgender woman three years into full gender transition and have never felt happier. I am finally comfortable with myself and have some self-confidence, and my previously crippling depression and anxiety have disappeared. I am incredibly grateful I did not end my life, and I see each new day living as my genuine self as a blessing. My faith in God has never been stronger…I finally feel at peace in my body, and I am thankful for the empathy and compassion the life I have been given has helped me have for other people of all walks of life.

Is there a difference between the words Transgender and Transsexual? Or are you using the words interchangeably?

The official definition of a transsexual is"a person who emotionally and psychologically feels that they belong to the opposite sex." Still, it seems the transgender community mostly views transsexual as an antiquated term now...with transgender being the replacement.

Some trans people like myself still occasionally use transsexual to contrast ourselves with others who are trans but may not desire to medically and/or surgically transition. I understand it is personal and should remain private information, but I personally have found it helpful in certain social situations being forthcoming that I've medically and surgically transitioned.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

It's kinda sad that this is even talked about at all in gaming. Never did I think when I was reading EGM and Gamefan as a kid that games "journalism" would now be all about identity politics and other nonsense.

It's kinda sad that this is even talked about at all in gaming. Never did I think when I was reading EGM and Gamefan as a kid that games "journalism" would now be all about identity politics and other nonsense.

Society changes. Identity is something more fluid and relevant now than before. It’s cool that it doesn’t apply to you but it does matter to many others.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
From an article, translated to English:
Transsexual used to be a negative term that meant disease. Its meaning changed when trans movements used the term as their own. But because many trans do not want to include pathologized terms, they prefer the term "transgender" instead. Queertrans also pointed to me out that because the term includes the word sex, it gives the false impression that trans people make the change only because they are interested in doing sex, which is a myth. Being trans does not have to do with sexual orientation but with gender identity, so the word sex justifies the hyperbolic sexualization of trans people (see trans, transgender, cis)

Thanks for helping me finally understand why some people say transsexual can be seen as an ugly word! I had still been calling myself that occasionally, but I didn't think about how some people might see the term as a sexual orientation thing. I have little to no interest in dating or sex in general, so that's a good thing to know!

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I wish these threads were banned in the gaming section.

Please stop.

Last edited:

Cosmogony

Society changes.
Not always for the better.

Identity is something more fluid and relevant now than before.
So you keep asserting.
Assert away.

It’s cool that it doesn’t apply to you but it does matter to many others.

Yes, and it's cool these others you speak of get to request whatever they feel like requesting while others such as me get to denounce representation for the absurd monstruous concept that it is.

Not always for the better.

So you keep asserting.
Assert away.

Yes, and it's cool these others you speak of get to request whatever they feel like requesting while others such as me get to denounce representation for the absurd monstruous concept that it is.

Sure. I wish you luck with all that. Whatever that is.

Edit

It’s always a fun game for me to try to figure out which alt-account belongs to which user.

Last edited:
I wish these threads were banned in the gaming section.

Please stop.

Couldn’t agree more.

I was shocked the Fortnite Streamer Abuse thread stayed in Gaming when it stopped having remotely anything to do with gaming about 6 posts in and 1000 posts after that

Every “Gaming as a backdrop but actually stealth political statement thread” stays relevant to gaming for probably a maximum of 3 pages before just going straight political

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Couldn’t agree more.

I was shocked the Fortnite Streamer Abuse thread stayed in Gaming when it stopped having remotely anything to do with gaming about 6 posts in and 1000 posts after that

Every “Gaming as a backdrop but actually stealth political statement thread” stays relevant to gaming for probably a maximum of 3 pages before just going straight political
I know. We have other sections for a reason.

mckmas8808

Banned
Thanks for helping me finally understand why some people say transsexual can be seen as an ugly word! I had still been calling myself that occasionally, but I didn't think about how some people might see the term as a sexual orientation thing. I have little to no interest in dating or sex in general, so that's a good thing to know!

This is how I know NeoGAF is BACK! We have cis-gendered people educating Trans people on why the term "transsexual" is being phased out and their response was a positive one. Good convo here.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I also support moving this kind of thread immediately over into the Politics section, and yes, to explicitly make the point that this kind of thing isn't considered relevant discussion worthy of having a seat at the table on Gaming-side.

Since I also visit the Politics section frequently, I'll see it either way; but it's better to make the motivations clearer, and to recognize that gaming disappears quickly into a generic political fight when this comes up.

Cosmogony

Couldn’t agree more.

You couldn't agree more and yet decided to post in the same vein?

And to which of those two trends your posts have contributed?

Evidently, there's an on-going ideological dispute between, roughly speaking, two sides. It doesn't exactly foster honest debate when members of one side drop their ideologically charged opinions and then proceed to chastise others for doing the exact same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
This is how I know NeoGAF is BACK! We have cis-gendered people educating Trans people on why the term "transsexual" is being phased out and their response was a positive one. Good convo here.

Helps that Ailynn Ailynn is awesome. On the issue itself, one wonders whether the unfortunate accident of using sex to mean both biological sex/gender and sexual intercourse comes into play here, as transsexual could be read as a matter of gender rather than lust, but perhaps in the circumstances transgender is safer.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Regards moving the thread, if it could possibly be split? The discussion of the PC gamer article is relevant, but lots of other discussions around boy scouts and sex showers rather derailed things. There's a good conversation to be had.

Cosmogony

Sure. I wish you luck with all that. Whatever that is.

Edit

It’s always a fun game for me to try to figure out which alt-account belongs to which user.

And it's often entertaining watching adversaries trying to overcompensate for their inability to produce good arguments by defaulting to innuendo, which , as usual, they cannot back up and about which, as usual, they are off by light years.

But, please, innuendo away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regards moving the thread, if it could possibly be split? The discussion of the PC gamer article is relevant, but lots of other discussions around boy scouts and sex showers rather derailed things. There's a good conversation to be had.

An idea I was gonna ask about in the GAF Meta thread is maybe a feature where users can ignore individual threads, like we can ignore other users. Could maybe help?

mckmas8808

Banned
An idea I was gonna ask about in the GAF Meta thread is maybe a feature where users can ignore individual threads, like we can ignore other users. Could maybe help?

That would be a GREAT idea! It's weird how people complain at the pure sight that some threads are even created in the first place.

RedVIper

Banned

How many things do you have to ignore to be happy dude? Every thread you ignore someone.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How hard is it to just not click on it?

"Yo dawg, I heard you want safe spaces in your safe space!"

Last edited:

Easier solution. Just don't enter the thread or exit when you don't like it. But you would rather ignore everything. I am sure I am on your ignore list too =)

How many things do you have to ignore to be happy dude? Every thread you ignore someone.

He even announces it too.

Still waiting on a response to this but im sure I am on ignore already.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/overwatch-adds-another-lgbtq-charcter.1470731/page-8#post-253700384

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Helps that Ailynn Ailynn is awesome. On the issue itself, one wonders whether the unfortunate accident of using sex to mean both biological sex/gender and sexual intercourse comes into play here, as transsexual could be read as a matter of gender rather than lust, but perhaps in the circumstances transgender is safer.

Thank you my friend - You as well! :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Also, I definitely agree...I've never liked that chromosomal sex, gender, and the act of sexual intercourse have often used the same word.

Paracelsus

There needs to be an updated version of this for LGBT

Fc5OQSV.png

Can't gaming journalism go on for more than five seconds without humiliating themselves?

lock2k

Banned

Don't worry...
tenor.gif

I grew up in a Christian home and am a person of strong Christian faith myself. I never suffered sexual abuse, and never got into drugs or anything else deemed unhealthy. My family was happy and I was a mostly well-adjusted kid. Still, I knew I was different from about the age of 4; feeling much more in common with girls than boys. I never wanted to do anything I felt would be disapproved of or bring stress to my parents, so I kept my feelings to myself as much as possible. I was a very quiet kid in school, and usually stayed in my own world...focusing mostly on drawing and eventually videogames for escape. I was always kind and considerate, and had empathy even for those that picked on me...so I never really ever got mad at anyone no matter what they did. Still, the bullying and derogatory remarks began seriously instilling the feeling that there was something deeply wrong with me, so I did my best to hide and fit in...although my efforts were not very effective. The occasional anti-LGBT+ church sermon, as well as extremely negative representation in the media, certainly didn't help matters.

I started disliking my body at a very young age, and the feeling was compounded by the fact that my body had a couple of genital abnormalities and malformations which I had to have surgery on when I was 11. (I would find out only a couple of years ago that I was epigenetically effected by a drug called Diethylstilbestrol, which has since the 1940s caused millions of people to be born with many side effects, including many forms of sexual differentiation and gene abnormalities.) Slowly after that surgery, testosterone began slowly changing my body through puberty (although I would remain mostly asexual for the remainder of my life). The more my body changed, the more I hated my reflection and felt bad about myself. Finally around age 14, I saw post-op transgender woman Caroline Cossey on The Phil Donahue Show...and realized there actually were others like me out in the world. I wanted to medically and surgically transition and live life as a woman, but I was still far too scared to let anyone know.

Fast forward now 20-something years of trying my absolute hardest to live as a 'regular guy' out of fear of rejection from all I held dear, as well as a fear that God disapproved...even though it was never anything I ever chose to feel, and often fought hard against and tried to pray away. Living through all that time trying to fit into the role opposite my own gender identity caused me eventual intense self-hatred, depression and anxiety, and eventually suicidal feelings. For a couple of years, I actually felt it was better for me to die and take my secret to the grave rather than risk losing everyone I loved. Eventually, I decided it would hurt everyone worse if I killed myself, so I decided to give my life one more chance by doing what I had wanted to 20 years earlier...I decided to come out as transgender and begin transition.

Now, I am a post-op transgender woman three years into full gender transition and have never felt happier. I am finally comfortable with myself and have some self-confidence, and my previously crippling depression and anxiety have disappeared. I am incredibly grateful I did not end my life, and I see each new day living as my genuine self as a blessing. My faith in God has never been stronger…I finally feel at peace in my body, and I am thankful for the empathy and compassion the life I have been given has helped me have for other people of all walks of life.

The official definition of a transsexual is"a person who emotionally and psychologically feels that they belong to the opposite sex." Still, it seems the transgender community mostly views transsexual as an antiquated term now...with transgender being the replacement.

Some trans people like myself still occasionally use transsexual to contrast ourselves with others who are trans but may not desire to medically and/or surgically transition. I understand it is personal and should remain private information, but I personally have found it helpful in certain social situations being forthcoming that I've medically and surgically transitioned.

Great story! Really touching... Last year at 62 years old my father came out as gay. I promptly accepted it but I have a lot of questions that I wil probably never ask because I'm afraid to hurt him. He was married to mom for 33 years when she passed and I can't even imagine how painful it must have been to pretend to be someone else for most of his life. He is happy and I'm glad to see he is.

Fc5OQSV.png

Can't gaming journalism go on for more than five seconds without humiliating themselves?

You’re absolutely right, but wasn’t this covered on the first page with the tweet from the dev explaining this (the backstories being user submitted)?

Last edited:

Paracelsus

You’re absolutely right, but wasn’t this covered on the first page with the tweet from the dev explaining this (the backstories being user submitted)?

PC Gamer was called out for this, assuming it was straight white males that wrote those lgbt entries.

PC Gamer was called out for this, assuming it was straight white males that wrote those lgbt entries.

I gotcha. I’m saying that this is covered in the OP. The tweet you posted is in regard to the original tweet from the dev, who was tweeting to PC Gamer explaining who wrote the origin stories after PC Gamer criticized them without doing some fact checking.

I mean no big deal, anyway. You’re right. This was a case of a journalist being overzealous.

Don't worry...
tenor.gif

BUT...FFS, words have meaning and semantic: Trans-sexual means you have transitioned from a sexe (or rather genitalia because even today sexe is too vaguely defined by biologists) while Trans-gender, mean you identify as a gender that is not the gender society assigns to you.

Also, I would differentiate gender or sexual dysphoria from transidentities: it's not because you're trans that you suffer from gender or sexual dysphoria because god knows how much is due to social discrimination and pressure, and how much of it is actually hormonal imbalance or negative psychological mechanisms.

Last edited:

autoduelist

I know this is funny, but the underlying concept is still terrible. That is, even if a straight white male had written trans backstories, who cares? That's literally what fiction writers are supposed to do, create characters.

That's why our literature isn't full of novels in which every single character is a clone of the author. It's why Huck Finn wasnt friends with Huck Finn and Huck Finn. It's why Atticus Finch didn't defend Atticus Finch from the accusations of Atticus Finch. Writers are not just allowed to create characters unlike themselves, its fundamental to the very concept of fiction.

So while we laugh about the utter ridiculounsness of this specific case, dont let anyone move the goalposts and suggest it would have been a problem otherwise.

No. It wouldn't have been. Woke / identity politic ideology is not good, it's not moral, it's not anything but a mental virus that will destroy anything in its path given enough time.

Dont let these people have the moral high ground. They are not moral. Their ideology is a disgusting mind virus that is literally trying to destroy the very foundations of free speech and thought. They are coming after the comedians, writers, and actors right now and have been for some time.

This case may be funny, but be careful to not give up an inch.

mckmas8808

Banned
Great story! Really touching... Last year at 62 years old my father came out as gay. I promptly accepted it but I have a lot of questions that I wil probably never ask because I'm afraid to hurt him. He was married to mom for 33 years when she passed and I can't even imagine how painful it must have been to pretend to be someone else for most of his life. He is happy and I'm glad to see he is.

Man! There's no way I could live on without asking those questions to him. I'd do it in a nice way of course. My curiosity would be eating me alive!

manfestival

Fc5OQSV.png

This is a hilarious plot twist. Reminds me of the whole hoax of the overwatch player situation. Everyone wants to be "right" with the best of intentions but the worst approach. Then this kinda hilarity ensues.

All this hoopla over .6 percentage of the population. Give me a break.

Everything’s okay.
This is a hilarious plot twist. Reminds me of the whole hoax of the overwatch player situation. Everyone wants to be "right" with the best of intentions but the worst approach. Then this kinda hilarity ensues.

This is literally in the OP. This is what the whole discussion was based on. The Dev explains to PC Gamer that the orgins were user submitted. It’s in the first fucking post

I’m so confused why this is on the last page as some sort of smoking gun.

This is why the thread even started. There was no twist. We knew this from step one.

Did people not read the OP?

Also, why was this thread reopened?

Last edited:

manfestival

Everything’s okay.

This is literally in the OP. This is what the whole discussion was based on.

I’m so confused why this is on the last page as some sort of smoking gun.

This is why the thread even started. There was no twist. We knew this from step one.

Also, why was this thread reopened?
I get what you are saying but the twist was already there from the beginning then. Doesn't really detract at all from the hilarity of the situation. Though the smoking gun effect is for sure in there.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love

Thank you so much! :messenger_heart:

Also, I'm so glad your father isn't having to hide his true feelings any longer. That must have been incredibly difficult harboring that secret for so long...I'm so glad to hear he is happy and you both still have a good relationship. I'm sure with time he will be glad to talk more about it with you, and I pray you grow even closer. You will both be in my prayers!

Last edited:
Top Bottom