• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer video interview with Mark Hamill. First pics of him from Star Citizen.

Nzyme32

Bloody awesome!! Hope this can turn out as good as I hope. Will be worth it despite inevitably not even being fully showcased in my future build

No not even. Add to the fact U4 is a simple linear action game that's not doing anything close to what Star Citizen is.

On point, these are not comparable

Kezen

Banned
What I don't like in Uncharted 4 is that the skin shading in what I assume to be real-time cutscenes or gameplay looks completely off, clay like. Granted it is a very difficult effect to nail down.

Star Citizen's skin shader is stunning, I wonder what it will take to run it like this. It borders on CGI it's incredible.

tuxfool

Banned
Something that came from the stream. A character model in SC will have something like 1000 bones/control points.

Corine

This is my favorite.

1) Nice job cherrypicking
2) That's completely irrelevant to what's being discussed

What did I cherry pick? As I said it doesn't come close regardless. Just when you look at the tech each is working with as a whole it even becomes more impressive.

Durante

This is my favorite.
That's not bad, but you can easily spot polygon limits all over his clothing (which isn't even particularly complex).

Even trying my best, I find it hard to see any such limitations in the SC shot.
As I said, it's simply decadent.

Something that came from the stream. A character model in SC will have something like 1000 bones/control points.
Did I say decadent already?

No not even. Add to the fact U4 is a simple linear action game that's not doing anything close to what Star Citizen is.

Game type makes it very impressive, but I disagree on the character model and particularly the faces, and then especially animation.

And U4 is not nearly as linear as previous installments. See both the E3 and old Gamescom demos for how much bigger the environments are. But yeah, Star Citizen is potentially even way bigger.

bud

what a waste of time and money.

i was willing to believe that that was actually mark hamill. but then i saw him in motion. sure, there's loads of detail in that model, but it's all about the eyes and the eyes look awful. robotic.

the entire illusion is ruined.

that is not mark hamill.

it's an impostor.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Drake doesn't come close to that or any other part of U4 for that matter. This game is on a whole other level of graphics.

the last teaser trailer that came out for this add-on didn't look good animation and modeling wise compared to naughty dog's uc4 stuff. not much in this teaser to tell if its improved although the modeling looks better than the oldman character model.

Corine

the last teaser trailer that came out for this add-on didn't look good animation and modeling wise compared to naughty dog's uc4 stuff. not much in this teaser to tell if its improved although the modeling looks better than the oldman character model.

I'll have to disagree with ya there I thought the last teaser was far more impressive than anything U4 has shown.

jett

D-Member
There are more polygons on some of the details of that space suit than on entire characters in pretty decent looking 3D games.

It's almost decadent.

It's bordering on idiotic to be honest. I look forward to playing this game several years after it actually releases.

Graphics look great, but I feel like perhaps too much is going into them. It's like there's such a push to be cutting edge that it'll limit their audience. I know I can't afford to buy a new computer to play this, even if I wanted to.

From what I've heard, there's not much focus on making it scale well to mid-/low-range computers, which is a shame.

Hamill is such a cool dude though.

Kezen

Banned
It's bordering on idiotic to be honest. I look forward to playing this game several years after it actually releases.

Being forward-thinking is anything but idiotic. Pushing tech is a worthy goal and wasting ressources is never part of the plan.

Durante

Graphics look great, but I feel like perhaps too much is going into them. It's like there's such a push to be cutting edge that it'll limit their audience. I know I can't afford to buy a new computer to play this, even if I wanted to.

From what I've heard, there's not much focus on making it scale well to mid-/low-range computers, which is a shame.

The game was sold in a significant part on the promise of a no-compromise implementation.

I think they should be applauded for keeping up their end of the bargain in that regard.

tuxfool

Banned
There is a certain symmetry in the fact that the next "Can it run Crysis?" is once again based on the CryEngine.

Steel

Banned
There are more polygons on some of the details of that space suit than on entire characters in pretty decent looking 3D games.

It's almost decadent.

Almost? I'd say Star Citizen is absolutely decadent at this point. And I'm a backer.

Give me more.

Haunted

That first interview is a fun listen.

"I flunked a Star Wars quiz" while his kids elbow him in the sides berating him for not knowing Star Wars facts. :lol

That's not bad, but you can easily spot polygon limits all over his clothing (which isn't even particularly complex).

Don't have a horse in this race but organic modeling is infinitely more difficult to do that chunky space ships and suits.

Compared to other "games", SC is pretty good.

Durante

Don't have a horse in this race but organic modeling is infinitely more difficult to do that chunky space ships and suits.

Compared to other "games", SC is pretty good.
I'm well aware. But that space suit has plenty of round details. And each of them seems to have an infinite polygon budget.

jett

D-Member
Being forward-thinking is anything but idiotic. Pushing tech is a worthy goal and wasting ressources is never part of the plan.

Just throwing all of the polygons in there doesn't strike me as forward thinking, even less good management of resources.

What I don't like in Uncharted 4 is that the skin shading in what I assume to be real-time cutscenes or gameplay looks completely off, clay like. Granted it is a very difficult effect to nail down.

Star Citizen's skin shader is stunning, I wonder what it will take to run it like this. It borders on CGI it's incredible.

Uncharted has never been aiming for actual photorealism though, there's an artistic style to it. With handpainted textures and such. 4 is clearly the most photorealistic in the series though, perhaps even a bit too much in my opinion, but I need to play it to make final judgment.

I don't really see it but that may be more down to Uncharted still retaining it's "animated" look over realism. Even then I don't really see it on that Elena model.

Either way, I don't mean this as any kind of an argument since this SC stuff looks incredible too.

Edit: Beaten lol.

Uncharted has never been aiming for actual photorealism though, there's an artistic style to it. With handpainted textures and such. 4 is clearly the most photorealistic in the series though, perhaps even a bit too much in my opinion, but I need to play it to make final judgment.

At the moment I think they stopped just in time, but yeah I also would have been just as fine with a tad less photorealism in the art style just the same. Either that or as is would have pleased me.

Kezen

Banned
Just throwing all of the polygons in there doesn't strike me as forward thinking, even less good management of resources.

If the end results justifies it, it is.

I'm sure the game will be reasonably scalable anyway. Should be fine on relatively modest specs, but ultra should not be possible at release.

I don't really see it but that may be more down to Uncharted still retaining it's "animated" look over realism. Even then I don't really see it on that Elena model.

Either way, I don't mean this as any kind of an argument since this SC stuff looks incredible too.

Maybe the art is to blame then, but while the facial expressions look convincing the visual appearance of faces leaves much to be desired but from what I've seen Uncharted 4 is still a game worthy of being praised for its visuals. Naughty Dog know what they are doing.

Corine

I'm well aware. But that space suit has plenty of round details. And each of them seems to have an infinite polygon budget.

Well Chris Roberts did say they have 30+ million poly scenes in an interview awhile back so there's plenty to throw around.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I am so sorry. It is so true.

Might as well follow the game before you make claims like that. They just revamped one of the core multi-crew ships in the game and reduced 500,000 polygons while increasing detail by a near magnitude.

Hamill is a Tier 0 character model in a PC game oriented at future hardware. Him having 100s of thousands of Polygons IS sensible.

tuxfool

Banned

Yeah. As they iterate on their pipelines they have consistently found smarter ways to build things instead of pure brute force. One of the early ships that is less than half the size has almost double the polygon budget of a newer ship.

Kezen

Banned
Yeah. As they iterate on their pipelines they have consistently found smarter ways to build things instead of pure brute force.

Having high GPU demands and being very efficient are everything but mutually exclusive.
Strange that some people often associate the two.

Optimization is not a console exclusive, far from it.

GIF (1/2 Speed)
giphy.gif

WEBM
http://giant.gfycat.com/ScaryDismalBarasinga.webm

I think that is the difference between a screen space shader and a "complexer" forward rendered one.
One is decidedly quite a bit more expensive though...

That gif could make me forgive you for murder. lol

Battlefront hamill
star_wars_battlefrontnzxk5.jpg

SC Hamill
vlcsnap-2015-11-19-200rajc.png

tuxfool

Banned

The advantage of being designed for a PC is that you will be able to play it at your timetable, sooner or later.

Throwing more polygons at a model than your art team can handle doesn't strike me as impressive. Drake looks more like an actual person.

What did I cherry pick? As I said it doesn't come close regardless. Just when you look at the tech each is working with as a whole it even becomes more impressive.

You only quoted the PSX gif, which is from when ND had hopes of reaching 60fps.

And "looking at the tech each is working with" makes Hamill more impressive how?

Looks great, and sharp, but the real detail is in the ships and other stuff.

The texture quality and shader quality is amazing in these.

But it doesn't deliver the whole package of animation/shader/texture quality that Naughty Dog does, as others have said.

This looks like an excellent tech demonstration for CryEngine faces, but they don't look "real."

On the other hand when you look at Uncharted 4 in a cutscene (which definitely uses better shaders than in realtime gameplay of course) it looks almost real if not real.

The animation by ND is simply a cut (or several) above anything else in the industry.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Thing about PC games, is that even if you need a 2000 dollar PC to run it today, a 700 PC will work great five years from now. If this is successful, it will be supported for ten years no problem, look at everything by Blizzard or Valve. And being on PC they can keep improving and expanding on it. But only to a point. I mean, WOW and TF2 are starting to look pretty dated, mostly because their goal was to target the lower side of the mid-end when they came out, if not lower. As a consequence, they're pretty weak looking now. Star Citizen will still be top-tier five years from now and that is very exciting.

Thing about PC games, is that even if you need a 2000 dollar PC to run it today, a 700 PC will work great five years from now. If this is successful, it will be supported for ten years no problem, look at everything by Blizzard or Valve. And being on PC they can keep improving and expanding on it. But only to a point. I mean, WOW and TF2 are starting to look pretty dated, mostly because their goal was to target the lower side of the mid-end when they came out, if not lower. As a consequence, they're pretty weak looking now. Star Citizen will still be top-tier five years from now and that is very exciting.

Yea that is a cool thing to think about.

Much like Crysis was in 2006. Can't believe that was over 10 years ago, it's still a great looking game!

Yeah.

Corine

Throwing more polygons at a model than your art team can handle doesn't strike me as impressive. Drake looks more like an actual person.

You only quoted the PSX gif, which is from when ND had hopes of reaching 60fps.

And "looking at the tech each is working with" makes Hamill more impressive how?

Uhh how doesn't it. Star Citizen has to do far more than U4 under the hood and still far surpasses a game with a much more limited scale.

On the other hand when you look at Uncharted 4 in a cutscene (which definitely uses better shaders than in realtime gameplay of course) it looks almost real if not real.

The animation by ND is simply a cut (or several) above anything else in the industry.
This looks like an excellent tech demonstration for CryEngine faces, but they don't look "real."
It makes me extremely saddened to see the same type of comments come up all the time that follow this same narrative....
All threads that talk about graphics on PC (SC, Cryengine games, heck UE4 graphic demos) or multiplatform games in general that happen to be on PC devolve into how it is all "brute force technology" and no artisanry or realism. This is then contrasted with certain beloved console games 'who use art (NOT REALISM!) to make real human peeeepl'. Then anyone that points out problems of plasuability and realism in some said beloved grames' presentation are confronted with broad claims of "artist intent" and "stylistic choices."
Care to point it out what you mean without being so... idk... wishy washy? Here, side by side.
http://fat.gfycat.com/SingleAcclaimedFalcon.webm
http://giant.gfycat.com/WarpedDeliriousBadger.webm
http://giant.gfycat.com/ScaryDismalBarasinga.mp4

Sigh.
Does hammils mouth really look that weird while moving.....it looks really jarring at his animation for the face.
Being performance capture it is quite literally how his face looks while saying those lines down to the blood flowing under his skin.
One has to remember that the guy got into a terrifying car accident that morphed the entire way his face emotes and looks. One only need look at how he appears between SW and Empire. Looks quite a lot like Hamill to me...

Top Bottom