• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"PC is decimating console, just through price" - Romero

Grief.exe

I would love to re-pay for a Homeworld with better models, textures, and native support for widescreen.

Wait a sec, that's exactly what's going to happen! The more you know.

ijqhXpmjsBjeV.gif

Never stop! I want to see NOLF, Silent Hill, MGS, Grim Fandango, and more!

DOWN

Banned
F2P is the PC industries simple response to uncontrollable piracy. We get the games we deserve.

Never again we will see Unreal, Crysis or any PC exclusive title push graphical or technological boundaries. Keep begging for those console ports guys!

Im so sorry but even me who doesn't touch PC knows that Unreal Tournament and more from Epic Games are staring your post down to the grave

Momentary

Banned
F2P is the PC industries simple response to uncontrollable piracy. We get the games we deserve.

Never again we will see Unreal, Crysis or any PC exclusive title push graphical or technological boundaries. Keep begging for those console ports guys!

Star Citizen?

HRose

Banned
The mistake here is to consider the two as one issue.

F2P is indeed a bubble and can't be sustained by a whole industry based on that. Certain titles succeed, certain others fail completely. Only a few can surface that way.

But the low prices of Steam sales and such are COMPLETELY different. They are helping new titles to get known and sell A LOT. Stuff that would otherwise sell much, much less.

Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's not going to be convenient. You sell far more copies overall than you'd have sold otherwise, you grow your public in ways that wouldn't be possible otherwise, and so on.

QKT100

Banned
Well you see, that is probably because Minecraft is out on the Xbox 360, the PS3, the PS4, and the Xbox One. According to Wikipedia, those consoles all together have sold over 175 million units.

The Nintendo Wii release is irrelevant; it is no longer a popular console. Nintendo doesn't even support the mediocre online features it has any longer, and the Wii U? Hah!
Something that is common knowledge but which the Nintendo sycophants will never admit is that Nintedo's target demo doesn't give a flying fuck about it, and Nintendo is too inward-focused to change. I don't think Iwata even knows about Minecraft.

1| 360 is pretty much the only representative console platform, PS3 release was very recent
2| Not even released on PS4/XO yet...
3| Wii sold over 100 million units, you telling me if had released on Wii last gen that sales wouldn't have got a large boost?
4| Tell me more about Nintendo's target demographic

This has been somewhat beaten to death at this point, but again here is an increasingly dated article: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/can-we-build-a-gaming-pc-on-a-console-budget/1100-6418829/

They built a couple of PCs that both substantially outperform the PS4 for $550, but they paid way too much even there.

That article quotes a better cpu, which should give better performance in cpu-heavy games. But other than that, I don't see a scenario in which an hd 7850 substantially outperforms the ps4's gpu, especially since the latter is slightly better in terms of specs.

Plus, the gpu quoted there is an open box item. How is that the equivalent of paying too much?

SparkTR

I don't know about the price (though Jeff Gerstamnn seems to think similarly), but what's killing them for me right now is the amount of cool new tech in the PC space. I recently came up with some disposable income and looking at the PC space I'm like a kid in a candy store, the way technology is evolving. It makes pretty much everything in the console space looking extremely vanilla and uninteresting, where I'm still waiting for old crap like racing wheels to start supporting my hardware, in another couple years I'll be ready to move on for good outside of Nintendo related stuff.

Star Citizen, Unreal Tournament, Total War and ArmA 3 disagree. Plus being multiplatform doesn't inherently lead to no boundaries being pushed, see the PC focus of TW3 or the extra power stuff like VR will need to be pushed.

Dire

That article quotes a better cpu, which should give better performance in cpu-heavy games. But other than that, I don't see a scenario in which an hd 7850 substantially outperforms the ps4's gpu, especially since the latter is slightly better in terms of specs.

Plus, the gpu quoted there is an open box item. How is that the equivalent of paying too much?

Rather than write a long post comparing spec for spec, I think it's easier to just appeal to the included benchmarks in the article. Alone they are great, but ironically they should be even better. In a number of instances they've set the benchmark standards higher for the PCs rather than simply matching the console settings. In the article click on the settings text to get a screenshot of the settings they used for each.

Dire

Star Citizen, Unreal Tournament, Total War and ArmA 3 disagree. Plus being multiplatform doesn't inherently lead to no boundaries being pushed, see the PC focus of TW3 or the extra power stuff like VR will need to be pushed.

The Neogaf Screenshot Thread

A lot of those games are multiplatform but look nothing whatsoever like what you get on a console.

Even if a dev doesn't push the boundary, modding opens up enormous potential. I don't think it'd be appropriate to clog this thread up with HD screenshots but for anybody who's not aware - seriously, go peruse that thread.

alstein

Ok but good PCs are waaay more than consoles over their lifetime as PCs need upgrades more often and new releases are no better priced. Often, stores off gift cards and deals only on the console versions.

This is changing, as PC games generally don't push the envelope as much as the AAA stuff is held back by console, and the smaller guys prefer to cut their net over as many as practical.

Look how long Windows Vista has been out and just now we're starting to see a few games require 64-bit on PC.

As for the FTP model, there will always be new suckers, but there will also always be a market for the traditional model. I don't think FTP works at all with good single-player experiences, and older games with less time generally don't like FTP models.

I doubt we'll see a mainline Civ or RPG work on a FTP model.

So the fact that PS4 has sell 7+ million consoles before a year from release, and the record selling games are the console versions is a lie?

Wow

Denton

It's nice that after very console centric generation, we are now switching into PC centric generation.
It was unthinkable just a few years ago that both consoles would use almost identical PC x86 architecture. That Epic would be making not one, but TWO PC-first games (Fortnite, UT). That Cliff Blezsinski, the declarer of "PC games don't sell because piracy and reasons" would be making PC-first videogame. That there would be so many PC games ranging from ArmAs and Divinities and Pillars, through Forests, Ethan Carters, Amnesias and Somas to Star Citizens and Elites and hundreds if not thousands others.Notice how I did not have to mention a single F2P game. Not to mention the VR revolution which will be happening primarly on PC.
When even console centric sites like Gamespot start posting almost daily PC gaming articles, stuff like "how to build your PC" and "how to overclock your PC", you know things are changing, for the better.

SparkTR

So the fact that PS4 has sell 7+ million consoles before a year from release, and the record selling games are the console versions is a lie?

Wow

That's kind of a separate point (especially considering the differences between both markets, and where the revenue goes within them), but regardless high-selling individual games does not equate to a healthy industry at large. As Opiate usually points out GTAV broke numerous records for best selling game, but 2013 saw an overall drop in game sales, with 2014 looking to be the same there looking at the NPD and PAL threads. While the big publishers will still see success with their homogenous and risk-averse products, I definitely don't think these new and disruptive business models should be downplayed considering the industry at large. Unless you basically want to play the same type of game every year.

Also the Wii U bombed and people here have concerns about the potential future of the XBO as well. We'll see about how those pan out, but I definitely expect a contraction overall.

nded

I like PCs. They have good web browsers and I can do my work on them; that's most of the reason why I spend money on PCs. For me, the investment in "PC gaming" extends only to the cost of the video card plus games and peripherals. I'd wager console gamers check their email and do productive things on computers, laptops and tablets, and last time I checked those aren't bundled for free with consoles.

OsirisBlack

Banned
The Neogaf Screenshot Thread

A lot of those games are multiplatform but look nothing whatsoever like what you get on a console.

Even if a dev doesn't push the boundary, modding opens up enormous potential. I don't think it'd be appropriate to clog this thread up with HD screenshots but for anybody who's not aware - seriously, go peruse that thread.

I have always thought it a bit iffy to use modded/sweetfx screens as the standard for how PC games look because honestly it is not. This coming from someone who plays FFXIV with all sorts of graphical adjustments along with sweetfx. Yes it looks phenomenal but it generally takes a while before those mods drop and before they do the original product is what everyone who plays the game can expect to see.

Also responding to the Star Citizen pictures honestly for them to be targeting high end graphics cards nothing they have shown has wowed me. The character model Bioware showed for the next Mass Effect game looked much better graphically. Not sure that is representative of the final product but as it stands that looks amazing.

Coen

Romero said:
They want people to want to give them money, not have to. If you have to give money, you're doing it wrong

I'd like to think there's a home for free-to-play on consoles as well, and Romero is right on the money (zing) on how to handle it. EA, take notice.

Abounder

Banned
PC's indeed destroy consoles just through the business model alone. It's simply bullshit that the major non-Nintendo consoles charge for their online services, and not only that but they don't have the sales or content to rival stores like STEAM. Instead on a console you might get a free game but it's tied to your monthly plan and resets without a subscription, and the bundles are never as good or common as the PC stuff.

Mxrz

Even developers want to platform war, weee.

Personally, I sort of dig being able to own both, and have ample support on either side.

I've done this before and I'm going to do it again. I'm going to quote a post that I made in 2009 in response to Gary Whitta's 'anti PC' rant on an episode of 1-up Yours.

I know of Gary Whitta and have the upmost of respect for him but...

"doesn't look like a particulary interesting landscape"
Subjective I know but at this time I don't think PC gaming has been as strong in the past as it is now. With the downloadable content that is available, episodic gaming and the exclusives from blizzard and Valve over the coming months/years. As well as arguably superior ports of most of the multiplatform games.

"spending a couple of thousand dollars on a new rig"
You really don't need to spend close to that figure to play any of the PC gaming exclusives. The longer console cycle means that you need a fairly modest rig to play all of the current PC games. A couple of thousand dollars would be overkill.

I fully understand his points and i realise he wasn't having a dig at PC gaming, if anything he was bolstering it (in his own way) I just don't think he sees what is currently happening with the PC market. Year upon year publisher support is growing and they are throwing more resources into the PC gaming market. Compound that with the exponentially growing Steam platform; I really don't see PC gaming going back into the hardcore flight sim box that Gary is forseeing.

The writing was on the wall.

It was obvious to me at the time that the 'PC gaming is dead' meme was coming to an end. We are at the point now where it make financial sense for publishers to release PC ports of multiplatform games. Not only do PC gamers get the big multiplatform game releases but they usually get the best version in most occasions.

The big draw to me for PC gaming is the ease of use of it. A lot of people think that PC gaming is complex and think that consoles are easier to use. I just don't think that is the case anymore.

Everyone knows (or should know) how to use a PC. Launching a game requires you to move your mouse and click a couple of times. It doesn't get much easier or quicker than that. Driver conflicts/hardware issues are few and far between and probably much more rare than a console failing these days. You still get bad port jobs that have issues on a lot of peoples computers but for the most part it's smooth sailing.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Will never understand these threads. It's not like PC success and console success are mutually exclusive things.

madmackem

There's a massive massive amounts of people that simply won't get a PC and while there is that market consoles will make money. Seems odd to drop this after we've just had two new machines burst out into market looking real healthy and killing the perception that console gaming is dieing, it isn't what will happen is it will evolve it already has in such a little space of time. There's many f2p games up and doing very well on ps4, we have seen record numbers of indie games get released, infact you could say ps4 is doing PC on a console and is selling like gangbusters.

BeforeJam

Neo Member
'Decimating' is a bit of a stretch considering there are still developers forgoing PC versions (Or keeping PC versions to a bare minimum port) because sales are significantly lower than console games.

Either way, I don't care. But this is a pretty arrogant statement to make.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
He seems to be right on the money, of course some will disagree.
The issue I have is that f2p can't be applied well to all genres. The types of games being created in this space are not the type that I play. I wouldn't play them if they were traditional and I won't play them as f2p. It's fine that f2p is taking off but I'd be disappointed if it interfered with the SP style games I enjoy.

Fuz

Banned

"Ok."
\|
2504542-3840569450-25044.gif

"Sure."
\|
a0289b3f1d52049a87077f423a323f4c.gif

Again with the piracy argument, btw? It's a false problem.

belmonkey

I like PCs. They have good web browsers and I can do my work on them; that's most of the reason why I spend money on PCs. For me, the investment in "PC gaming" extends only to the cost of the video card plus games and peripherals. I'd wager console gamers check their email and do productive things on computers, laptops and tablets, and last time I checked those aren't bundled for free with consoles.

I feel like this point isn't talked about enough.

belmonkey

Because people already own those things, if you are going to include that into the price of a console why not include the power bill for the PC or desk lol.
tumblr_inline_n5njz03Shr1qb9yoj.gif

It's all about where the scenario starts from that determines which is cheaper. Since we all have PCs to use, could I not just scavenge parts from it (case, RAM, HDD) to build a new one? A low-power (comparable to consoles) 750 ti + haswell i3 build is ~$450 while still including those 3 things.

Dead Man

I don't share his optimism regarding the masses's ability to differentiate "dirty" free-to-play design vs fair.

As long as the conclusion is unfairly negative instead of unfairly positive overall, I'll live. If FTP gets rejected, fine. If dirty FTP gets accepted, magazine racks will be in danger.

Nzyme32

I will admit it is not as bad on Dota, but I have seen it get just as bad as LOL on Dota before. The community for both games is terrible and really brings down newcomers to the games. It comes with the territory I suppose, but still it isn't justified nor should it be put up with.

I disagree with this. As with almost any competitive multiplayer game, you will get this kind of crap. You get it in teken, halo, cs, etc etc. What I find woth mobas is not that this is always worse, but rather more polarised.

The moba games are SO overly team focused than anything else I've played and people get far more involved and communicate more than I have seen in many other games. Adding to this issue is trying to get this to work across a language barrier where the situation for communication is frustrating for a lot of players.

I honestly can't think of a console game where this situation of communication occurs or even many PC games... maybe TiTT..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Steam game for $5 isn't necessarily a good thing for developers though. It can risk people holding off buying at launch for the sale price,meaning the business case for making a PC version in the first place could weaken.

Dead Man

One of the worst posts I have ever seen. Unless you were being sarcastic.

I just checked my PC invoice and it was bought 4 years ago for $1000 (16/04/2011)

i5-2500k
AMD HD6950 2gb ----> swapped for 560ti free
8GB RAM
Coolermaster CM 690 case and Asus P8P67 motherboard
Windows 7 64bit

Its still going strong. What an investment. Plays all my Steam games flawlessly.

emotions.gif

Usobuko

Banned
Why is this surprising?

PC has worldwide audience and games catered for both hemisphere whereas console is mainly US, Western Europe and Japan. If you look at LoL and Dota 2, you would find Riot and Valve actually acknowledged the audience there with CNY event and skins from Eastern culture.

Nzyme32

Steam game for $5 isn't necessarily a good thing for developers though. It can risk people holding off buying at launch for the sale price,meaning the business case for making a PC version in the first place could weaken.

People talk about this all the time but never provide any evidence of whether it is good or bad with actual numbers over a significant period. In the end the pricing is at the volition of the developers or publishers. Games like kerbal haven't even gone below £10 and still thrive. Equally, you could compare to the used game market in the exact same fashion although more extreme as devs/pubs get nothing. Or I can complain all I want about MGS Ground zeros being released at it's price considering its content, yet that decision was the choice of the devs/pubs, and clearly people bought it and its a hit.

Corpekata

Banned

I think the "wait for 80 percent off or bundle" crowd is not quite as large as people make it out to be. We've been hearing the "Race to the bottom" shtick for years now and we still see most indie developers prefer the PC platform. Heck, we've seen INCREASED third party support, not less.

It's just like the PS plus waiters. Go to a hardcore gaming site like this and you'd think no games on PSN would ever sell because everyone's just waiting for it to hit PS plus. But we still see lots of games do well and we see increasing support by devs. The bargain hunters are a loud part of the gaming community, but not quite as big of a deal.

PS Plus and Steam deep discounts, what they often do is make customers out of people that would not have bought the game in the first place a lot. The fans buy on release, the wishwashy get it at 75 percent off.

Screw Freemium games. It is an even more terrible new era gaming hype in comparison to DLC. Companies are seeking more ways to earn more cash by ruining the hobby of gamers who are in the business for 10+ years.

''You are out of ammo! Pay $0,20,- for an extra 500 bullets pack!'

maneil99

It's all about where the scenario starts from that determines which is cheaper. Since we all have PCs to use, could I not just scavenge parts from it (case, RAM, HDD) to build a new one? A low-power (comparable to consoles) 750 ti + haswell i3 build is ~$450 while still including those 3 things.

a 750 ti uses about as much as an entire PS4. Unless your PC you are scavenging has the same exact model of ram for your new one or your HTPC's PSU isn't some shit one that comes in 99% of the prebuilt average pc's out there, then yea. An i3 + 750 ti + 8gb of ram is going to run double the watts of a PS4 atleast and run worse for 50$ more and thats assuming you are getting a cheap Win key.

thebloo

I think the "wait for 80 percent off or bundle" crowd is not quite as large as people make it out to be. We've been hearing the "Race to the bottom" shtick for years now and we still see most indie developers prefer the PC platform. Heck, we've seen INCREASED third party support, not less.

It's just like the PS plus waiters. Go to a hardcore gaming site like this and you'd think no games on PSN would ever sell because everyone's just waiting for it to hit PS plus. But we still see lots of games do well and we see increasing support by devs. The bargain hunters are a loud part of the gaming community, but not quite as big of a deal.

PS Plus and Steam deep discounts, what they often do is make customers out of people that would not have bought the game in the first place a lot. The fans buy on release, the wishwashy get it at 75 percent off.

Indies prefer PC because it's cheaper to launch on it and you reach more people at once.

The main difference that I see betweeen PS+ and Steam sales is that:
- Plus requires money upfront, while Steam doesn't
- PS+ is "random", while Steam Sales are (or are perceived) as something 100%.

Of course, everything is anecdotal because nobody has the data to confirm/dismiss the "deep discounts help/hurt gaming" mantra. It's just a phrase thrown around by both sides when pieces of data fit what they want to say.

Top Bottom