• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PC] Rise of the Tomb Raider - 17.99$@ Gamestop.com (Steam key, US only]

Corpekata

Banned
It's a mistake and I'd expect it to be corrected in the morning. Just Cause 3, for instance, is 45 dollars on sale there.

Plasmid

Was looking at this this morning and really wanted to drop the $, just bought it and the season pass for 26.98. Thank you OP :D

Ibuki

Banned
Already got a cheap NVIDIA code, but I went ahead and grabbed the Season Pass. Thanks for the heads up!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Be aware that if this is a mistake (which is most likely the case), then it's very possible that the keys will be revoked and refunds issued as the orders being honoured depends on either GameStop paying the difference or Squeenix taking the hit.

SlickVic

That's a crazy good deal. Looking at Amazon I can sell the Xbox One version and probably get just about get the $27 back that it costs to get the game and season pass.

SlickVic

Be aware that if this is a mistake (which is most likely the case), then it's very possible that the keys will be revoked and refunds issued as the orders being honoured depends on either GameStop paying the difference or Squeenix taking the hit.

Has this actually happened before with Gamestop or any other major US retailer though where they revoked Steam keys that had already been distributed to consumers? I remember last year they had a price mix up with Saints Row Gat out of Hell being sold for 75% off and as far as I know the key I got from that is still good.

MUnited83

For you.

I think that's unlikely. The only store I ever heard of doing such a thing was Gamersgate, which I'm pretty sure are in a dire financial situation where they really can't afford to honor the mistake. Gamestop is a company in much better financial position, as well as being a global retail brand so they will likely honor the mistake, because it really isn't worth the PR hit if they do revoke it, and the fact that they have honored mistakes until now.

Has this actually happened before with Gamestop or any other major US retailer though where they revoked Steam keys that had already been distributed to consumers? I remember last year they had a price mix up with Saints Row Gat out of Hell being sold for 75% off and as far as I know the key I got from that is still good.

Nah, such a thing never happened with a major retailer. I can only remember happening with the digital store Gamersgate, which is really small and not in a very good financial situation.

Should have waited another week... Oh well just grabbed the season pass for $9. Already got my key redeemed and downloaded on steam.

Ilmyr

Don't like those regional restrictions. I really want that game for that price, but no chance to buy outside the US. Going to wait for other offers :(

JaseC

They're not based in the US or major players, but, off the top of my head, GMG (UK) had a price mistake on Warlock 2 and GamersGate (Sweden) had a price mistake on Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, and in both cases the keys were later revoked.

jediyoshi

Oh boy, taking their time with my season pass order

I'd be curious to see who specifically in each of these instances eats the costs for these price errors. There was a Dying Light error on gamestop when it came out for $20 and they ended up giving the season pass on top of it, imagine the publisher was super confident about it.

MUnited83

For you.
They're not based in the US or major players, but, off the top of my head, GMG (UK) had a price mistake on Warlock 2 and GamersGate (Sweden) had a price mistake on Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, and in both cases the keys were later revoked.

The Warlock 2 price mistake that was revoked was on GamersGate, not GMG. GMG had a price mistake for Warlock 2 too but afaik it wasn't revoked, so that would make GamersGate the only one doing things like this so far.

HooYaH

Oh boy, taking their time with my season pass order

I'd be curious to see who specifically in each of these instances eats the costs for these price errors. There was a Dying Light error on gamestop when it came out for $20 and they ended up giving the season pass on top of it, imagine the publisher was just super confident about it.

Once you get to order placed on the site, the key is right next to the instructions.

Got my email about 2 min later.

Code unavailable until order review is complete. You will be notified via e-mail with further instructions.

Hmm, weird.

edit:

Nope not here, it's a throw of the dice whenever they get back to you. I've ordered a good chunk of digital stuff from them :p

RG0BS1U.gif

jediyoshi

Once you get to order placed on the site, the key is right next to the instructions.

Got my email about 2 min later.

Nope not here, it's a throw of the dice whenever they get back to you. I've ordered a good chunk of digital stuff from them :p

JaseC

I think that's unlikely. The only store I ever heard of doing such a thing was Gamersgate, which I'm pretty sure are in a dire financial situation where they really can't afford to honor the mistake. Gamestop is a company in much better financial position, as well as being a global retail brand so they will likely honor the mistake, because it really isn't worth the PR hit if they do revoke it, and the fact that they have honored mistakes until now.

I wasn't exactly speaking to the likelihood, just mentioning that it is an actual possible outcome so people aren't shocked if it does happen.

The Warlock 2 price mistake that was revoked was on GamersGate, not GMG. GMG had a price mistake for Warlock 2 too but afaik it wasn't revoked.

Ah, yeah, digging through my post history it seems I missed GMG's price mistake on Warlock 2 and took advantage of the GG one instead.

Top Bottom