• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PC] Rise of the Tomb Raider - 17.99$@ Gamestop.com (Steam key, US only]

Er, this might be a bit cheeky, but is there any chance someone could grab a Season Pass code for me and I'll PayPal them when I get off work? PM me.

Werd

Nice, no problems using a CC gave key immediately. The kind of game I was fine with waiting a year to play at this price, but yeah.. I'll take it now instead.

edit: Is the DLC on Steam now all that will be included in the season pass, or is some yet to release? Looks pretty thin for $30 to me, might have passed even with the discount had I looked closer. Oh well.

SlickVic

Oh boy, taking their time with my season pass order

I'd be curious to see who specifically in each of these instances eats the costs for these price errors. There was a Dying Light error on gamestop when it came out for $20 and they ended up giving the season pass on top of it, imagine the publisher was super confident about it.

I would guess (and I'm not sure on any of this) that the publisher already got paid for these keys. If the retailers sells it below cost for any reason, then my guess would be that's on them.

The retailer (Gamestop in this case) can issue refunds but it also depends if its worth the hassle to not only cancel and refund the orders but also to contact Steam to identify and revoke the keys specifically involved in this deal (not sure how long this process takes). Then there's the consideration of whether it may be worth selling some copies at a loss to build customer satisfaction and not have angry customers hounding their customer service department. That may depend on just how many copies they sold at this price, but I got an "order under review" message without a key, so it is possible they've already fixed the issue on their end and will end up refunding some of these orders (like mine) where a key was not given.

packy34

It has to be a price error considering the game and season pass purchased separately is cheaper than buying the deluxe edition bundle. Somebody fucked up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I would guess (and I'm not sure on any of this) that the publisher already got paid for these keys. If the retailers sells it below cost for any reason, then my guess would be that's on them.

The keys are provided for free, not paid for in advance, as unlike physical stock the cost of distributing keys is effectively zero. This is why pricing and sale participation on every DD service are entirely dictated by publishers -- because it's the publishers that own the stock, not the retailers.

The process of key revocations is thus: Both the store and the publisher both feel that honouring the price mistake would be unwise -> the store informs the publisher of the keys that have been distributed -> the publisher informs Valve of the error and the "invalid" keys -> Valve blacklists said keys. All told, it can take up to a few days.

Looks like RotTR was a bigger bomba than anyone expected. I wonder if there will be another entry in the reboot franchise after this fiasco, Bone exclusivity killed it before it even had a chance to take root.

I grabbed the Season Pass since I bought in at launch from GMG. Might as well for $9.

packy34

Looks like RotTR was a bigger bomba than anyone expected. I wonder if there will be another entry in the reboot franchise after this fiasco, Bone exclusivity killed it before it even had a chance to take root.

I grabbed the Season Pass since I bought in at launch from GMG. Might as well for $9.

Calm down. It's a pricing error.

Whogie

Payment went through on Paypal, but order status is sitting on Open. Don't have high hopes. Ah well.

I used a credit card and got the key instantly. You might want to not use Paypal for this in case it was a price error and they reverse unfulfilled orders.

mandiller

Does it redeem correctly on Steam for regions other than US? I'd be very keen to paypal a US gaffer for a code if that's the case! I'm in Australia if that matters.

SlickVic

The keys are provided for free, not paid for in advance, as unlike physical stock, the cost of distributing keys is effectively zero. This is why pricing and sale participation on every DD service are entirely dictated by publishers.

That would make sense. Still don't see any precedent of any major US retailers revoking Steam keys after they were sent to consumers though. The example from the last page seems to have been a Gamersgate only issue? It certainly is possible, but considering Gamestop in the past has honored pricing errors like this (I'm guessing this is an error since the deluxe edition on sale is somehow more expensive than buying the game and season pass separately), I do not see it as a strong possibility.

The game has sold 1 million copy at the end of the year, and Steam version already has 500k owners now, less than a month since release. It's far from bombed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That would make sense. Still don't see any precedent of any major US retailers revoking Steam keys after they were sent to consumers though. The example from the last page seems to have been a Gamersgate only issue? It certainly is possible, but considering Gamestop in the past has honored pricing errors like this, I do not see it as a strong possibility.

It does appear unlikely, but it can happen and has happened, which is what makes it a very real possibility. The post was meant to be informative, not an attempt to dissuade people from taking advantage of the error because access to the game is likely to be rescinded, which wouldn't even make sense as the worst possible outcome is that you're out of pocket while the money makes its way back to you.

Got the code for the main game instantly but the season pass says it's pending. Crosses fingers.

Tomb raider 2013 is at $18.53 on CDkeys btw so this is a heck of a deal.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't received an a status update about the order I placed ~10 minutes ago. So until that goes through I can't really place any more orders.

Koyuga

Haha shit, I just bought this for $30 over a week ago on cdkeys! Should have waited and gotten Dying Light instead lol.

Kabuto

I just bought the game and season pass. I still have Tomb Raider 2013 in my backlog, but I can't pass up saving $60 8)

jfoul

Ordered the game & season pass. Got the codes right in my checkout/payment confirmation. I'll sell my Xbox One version now.

Total: $28.93
Used a Credit Card and I'm in the US.

Thanks OP.

Ilmyr

Ok i can confirm that Gift Cards work outside the US. I received my keys instantly!

This is what you need to do:

1. Buy a 30$ gamestop gift card from https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MV9FCFQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (thanks neonglow for the link)
2. Place your order at gamestop. Go to checkout.
3. You have to enter an address still! Google any Hotel in New York for a valid address. They will add 2% tax (cuz of NY) but you're fine with a 30$ gift card.
4. Enter your giftcard code + pin and just do "Submit Order".
5. Receive codes directly on checkout.

Top Bottom