• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Skyrim (with all DLC) owners to receive free upgrade to Special Edition

120v

Great news... been having a lot of issues with texture mod installs to the extent I was considering the ps4 special edition. Then I find out I'm getting it on pc for free...

I'll buy the ps4 version anyway just for the gesture

Dr.Acula

Banned
Hmm...

Two questions.

Are they going to fix issues related to going over 4 gig of RAM usage, and are they going to provide official VR support?

I'm sure no one cares to hear me complain more about this whole thing, but this free upgrade pretty much confirms that nothing new is really happening with the game. Just upgraded shaders and textures. The only thing this really does for me is break all my existing mods - most likely.

That being said, some people will be really excited for me. A great move on Bethesda's part, just not for me at all.

I'm sure no one cares to hear me complain more about this whole thing, but this free upgrade pretty much confirms that nothing new is really happening with the game. Just upgraded shaders and textures. The only thing this really does for me is break all my existing mods - most likely.

That being said, some people will be really excited for me. A great move on Bethesda's part, just not for me at all.

Likely won't actually break existing mods, since the Skyrim BSAs will have lowest priority.

Fredrik

Yeah, I imagine this is the case, but still.

And here's hoping they put Legendary on deep discounts again. I think it was that you could pick it up for 75% off the last couple of big Steam sales too.
Yup I got it for like $10. Check this years Summer Sale, it'll be there for sure.

Bluth54

Wonder if this would break all your mods though.
I would think it would almost certainly break most, if not all mods.

Smart for Bethesda to give this away to PC owners, I imagine if they didn't do this you wouldn't see many PC gamers upgrade, and most modders would probably contine to focus on vanilla Skyrim.

120v

Pretty sure you won't be forced to upgrade. Not like Bethesda hasn't considered this

It makes sense if the PC remaster is just the legendary edition with some mods applied at the base... in which case there was no way they could have charged people to jump into this remaster who already bought it.

Zebei

I don' thi k I can complain about free stuff

Maybe this will be the kick in the pants I need to beat the game and play the DLC I bought

Zomba13

Eh, cool for people who have all the DLC but I just have the base game. It's ok though, I can just throw mods at the game and make it look pretty :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Assuming it does break compatibility with existing mods, they might make the special edition a separate library entry than the original Skyrim. I know some other games like Divinity Original Sin have done that.

zma1013

It makes sense if the PC remaster is just the legendary edition with some mods applied at the base... in which case there was no way they could have charged people to jump into this remaster who already bought it.

That would be pretty hilarious if it's just a version of compiled mods.

Jafku

Just realized that I only own the standard. Hopefully the steam summer sale will have the dlc for cheap. Would rather that then $60 for a remaster

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bethesda removed Skyrim and its DLC from the store before the conference started. If you don't already own everything, you're going to have to either snap up a retail copy of the LE or buy what you're missing from the likes of G2A or Kinguin.

Edit: Oh, the packages were replaced with a bundle.

Spyware

Loooovely! Was just tweeting that I hoped I could upgrade for cheap and they post this <3
My original Skyrim just won't let itself be modded anymore. It breaks even if the only thing I add is SKSE. Silly thing. Would love a completely new edition to get a new chance.
I miss playing it.

Illucio

Banned
I take it this free upgrade is to motivate modders to continue modding the game so they can bring them over to consoles?

That's my assumption right now.

What about console owners? It's not like there's a PS4 version to upgrade, you made that choice when you chose that platform path.

zjcgqk7.png

Top Bottom