• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Random updates from the last page, check it out for more, I can only embed a few at a time :)

Last edited:

Alexios

I've been playing Lies Beneath but I'm debating whether to keep at it or refund it while I can in order to buy it cheaper down the line (it will take a while for it to get any meaningful discounts since it's on Oculus only, for now at least). It seems very good so far, though a little floaty and weightless and certainly affected by the intention to also have it as an Oculus Quest title given its weak specifications (but I don't mind that when it's handled well, Journey of the Gods was another such game and I really enjoyed that). The combat is overall pretty nice, there are various other neat interactions here and there and the initial sections of dread still got to me even though it's not going for jump scares, has a comic book esque visual style and I've played games like The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners to death so I thought I'll be immune. I like the mechanics with the lighter too. I'm just not sure how meaty and well developed or fulfilling to the end it's going to be as a linear action adventure. Then again, VR doesn't have too many of these yet and it wasn't a full price title at ~30 so maybe I should support it.
I've got around printing the Koss headphones adapter for Rift S. Not the headset is as it should be! I used tested jeremy template.
In order for ksc75 to fit, I just had to take off those small grey covers for ball joint on headphones. Porta Pro would fit a bit better and sound a bit better (best headphones ever) but ksc75 is just as good aside from less bass

jOczwUi.jpg

mf236JE.jpg
Congrats.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

I finally got my VIve working more reliably (turns out that leaving it plugged in all the time causes all kinds of issues, and it was the reason my bios wasn't showing up) and I've been thinking about diving back into a bunch of VR.

I really wish I could try the Index for myself, to compare it with the Vive. I could just technically buy the headset and be golden, but that's the most expensive part. I also wish Kansas would hurry up and legalize weed so I can do more stoned VR (smoking weed and playing Polybiusin VR kind of changed my life).

Alexios

If anything it's the controllers you need to upgrade first if you haven't already, you can do without the highest res/fov HMD but the controls and feel are really vastly improved with more modern controllers than the Vive wands. But they're quite costly on their own too. Well, that's what I think.

Last edited:

INC

I wish I could use the rift sensor on my rift s controllers just to get, just to get more precision. They're great as is, but can wig out slightly when my right controller is under my chin (for fps games hold the rifle) its not frequent, but enough to make me buy an extra senor if I couldm which I cant

Alexios

This came out too, I dunno if it's any good but it seems like a fairly promising effort for some multi player melee combat.
A current home VR game will not reach the heights of this location VR experience with big space and full body tracking but it can still be good fun.

Getting some serious Dark Souls VR vibes here. Clearly it's still early days but I like the visual style and enemy animations and spell gestures etc., it's all nicely done. Fingers crossed for the rest of its progress.

Last edited:

Alexios

This came out, we'll see about impressions but it looked promising. Swords of Gurrah above is getting good feedback :)

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

This came out too. I've posted about it before, the visual style looked interesting, but I can't say it looks well/deeply developed. We'll see impressions soon.
I expected it to be in development far longer from the earlier media, I guess it's a simpler game than I hoped, much like Wands or The Unspoken and others.

Last edited:

Alexios

This looked like a neat experiment two months ago.
But now it's looking like a promising Mirrors Edge-like.

That studio has other neat looking games but they seem to not flesh each out enough. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Already funded, huh. Shame for Project Terminus, the free alpha demo was so good and promising. I hope they keep at it. Zero campaign updates though, derp.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Apparently the headphone jack came loose on my Oculus Rift S... on it's own. The socket is really weak which is weird since rest of the build quality is ok.
I've asked oculus for a refund and explained that the socket is loose and audio cuts out. It's been 25 days since I've bought it though... so they might decline :( Due to expensive euro, the headset costed me 500usd too ;/
Rift S is unusable without koss headphones. And I've just discovered how good stormland is!

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
What are some good lesser known VR youtube channels to follow? Aside from Virtual Reality Oasis I find a lot of the bigger ones kind of obnoxious. The thought popped into my head because I just recently found Virtual Insider who only has 7.5k subs. Some good limited Let’s Plays channels would also be appreciated for new releases to get a sense of games.

Alexios

What are some good lesser known VR youtube channels to follow? Aside from Virtual Reality Oasis I find a lot of the bigger ones kind of obnoxious. The thought popped into my head because I just recently found Virtual Insider who only has 7.5k subs. Some good limited Let’s Plays channels would also be appreciated for new releases to get a sense of games.
Dunno, sadly. so many are screaming nerds trying to be funny with all the same stupid stuff like making ragdolls kiss or going ultra violent and making weird voices thinking it's some novel fun shit.

Sweviver had the best game impressions back in the day (like some videos in the OP) but then just became a Pimax shill focusing on hardware resolution/comparisons (and works for them since).

Maybe this guy outside the stuff in the OP (which I guess I should start pruning - edit: did, meh).

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Dunno, sadly. so many are screaming nerds trying to be funny with all the same stupid stuff like making ragdolls kiss or going ultra violent and making weird voices thinking it's some novel fun shit.

Sweviver had the best game impressions back in the day (like some videos in the OP) but then just became a Pimax shill focusing on hardware resolution/comparisons (and works for them since).

Maybe this guy outside the stuff in the OP (which I guess I should start pruning - edit: did, meh).

lol, he seems to be trying too hard but some of it is funny. I'll sub for a bit and see how it goes because he's at least putting in the effort. I was thinking something more no nonsense like Gamertag VR which is mostly gameplay (exception if they are genuinely funny e.g. UpIsNotJump). The problem for me is most of the other channels for gameplay that I found are a bit too cringe

Resenge

Apparently the headphone jack came loose on my Oculus Rift S... on it's own. The socket is really weak which is weird since rest of the build quality is ok.
I've asked oculus for a refund and explained that the socket is loose and audio cuts out. It's been 25 days since I've bought it though... so they might decline :( Due to expensive euro, the headset costed me 500usd too ;/
Rift S is unusable without koss headphones. And I've just discovered how good stormland is!
Oculus history with customer service is pretty good from what I have seen on Reddit, but I guess the current global situation could screw with that. Keep us updated.

Last edited:

Knch

Unless it's a quarter inch jack, it's always going to be a weak link without some proper strain relief.

chixdiggit

Have yet to play either of the Budget Cuts games. Is one better than the other? I can get the first one pretty cheap in the VR essentials bundle, or should I just buy the sequel?

INC

Ben plays vr

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Carmack is no longer at Oculus right?
Was it that he drove Quest while company drove S ?
I think he wanted quest to be mobile and wireless pc headset. Wonder if this is ever happening.
He also said that quest screen is 90hz but locked to 72 due to mobile games req

Shai-Tan

Banned
Unless it's a quarter inch jack, it's always going to be a weak link without some proper strain relief.

this guy was one of the overly defensive vr boosters I thought but I am subbed to him and just skip his punditry videos

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Just a quick quick question from an incompetent PC user.... What is vram and why does this site https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri say I can't run a game like XCOM 2 because I don't have enough vram, but I meet all the other requirements?? Am I not even able to run the game on the lowest settings?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexios

Video ram, the ram amount of your graphics card. Something must have fudged up there because XCOM2 only requires 1GB and recommends 2GB (that's super low, GPUs these days have 4-12GB). Unless you have no dedicated graphics card and it leeches from the ram pool and is set at like 512MB or something.

This thread is for VR on PC, not PC in general, you want this one maybe.

Last edited:
M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Video ram, the ram amount of your graphics card. Something must have fudged up there because XCOM2 only requires 1GB and recommends 2GB (that's super low, GPUs these days have 4-12GB). Unless you have no dedicated graphics card and it leeches from the ram pool and is set at like 512MB or something.

This thread is for VR on PC, not PC in general, you want this one maybe.
Oh, I probably should of mentioned I'm using a laptop which has an Intel(R) UHD graphics thing. Since it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, am I shit out of luck??

Thanks for helping and sorry about posting in the wrong thread.

Alexios

Maybe there's a setting in the bios to allocate at least 1GB or 2GB of your ram as video ram. I don't know if it will work then still, specify your specs/model in that other thread and someone maybe can tell then.

Last edited:

Alexios

This came out, could be good (it's early access and will eventually offer co-p and PVP on top):

Semi-sequel (but I guess much more arcade action focused) of:

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Finally played and finished Lone Echo on Rift S !!!
It was super great. A bit boring and slow at times but generally very good.
Played the "lone echo 2 trailer" too and it looks great. Seem the game is delayed.
Oh and I have no idea how was the sound in Lone Echo... since the audio jack on my rift S is actually totally broken and no longer works at all so I had to play with built in speakers :(
I wonder if it would be better on quest link. The black leves on S are not great

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Update - about 30 minutes after completing Lone Echo and trailer for 2 on S, my head started spinning... it is still spinning and I am super dizzy.
It's really strange as it was fine during playing. It was a very long session (like 2 or 3 hours straight) but it was never a problem before.
Last month I've finished ALyx on CV1 in 2 "standings" 7 hours each and the only thing that hurt was my feet. I think they did something wrong with Rift S

Resenge

I think they did something wrong with Rift S
You played a game with new mechanics, this happens to me too. It took me a while to get used to space flight in VR and zero G mechanics in Lone Echo are kinda the same. You probably came out of it and still adjusting.

Hope you get better soon. Just try to feel how your body is reacting and stop when you start to feel hot or sick, then go back and try again when you feel better next day or so, You can adjust, might take some time.

I imagine throwing myself around in real Zero G could give me the same dizzy feeling IRL, VR can trick your mind that way.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You played a game with new mechanics, this happens to me too. It took me a while to get used to space flight in VR and zero G mechanics in Lone Echo are kinda the same. You probably came out of it and still adjusting.

Hope you get better soon. Just try to feel how your body is reacting and stop when you start to feel hot or sick, then go back and try again when you feel better next day or so, You can adjust, might take some time.

I imagine throwing myself around in real Zero G could give me the same dizzy feeling IRL, VR can trick your mind that way.
Probably. Lone Echo was REALLY immersive

Alexios

This came out too. VR is an extra paid DLC and it's barebones with gamepad controls, it doesn't list motion tracking there.

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

azz0r

Banned
Question for you; Currently I can only play VR shooters like with alyx Blink movement. I get sick with boneworks type movement quick and it takes me an hour or two to stop feeling floaty out of VR.

Does it get better, can it be overcome or is it just the way it is? Have you guys got immune to motion sickness?

Knch

Question for you; Currently I can only play VR shooters like with alyx Blink movement. I get sick with boneworks type movement quick and it takes me an hour or two to stop feeling floaty out of VR.

Does it get better, can it be overcome or is it just the way it is? Have you guys got immune to motion sickness?
I haven't tried Windlands since it first came out, but that was hurltastic then, no longer have problems with free movement. Your mileage may vary if you are easily susceptible to motion sickness. (I only get sick on boats in bad weather, no problems in cars.)

Stitch

Gold Member
I did get immune. When I was new to VR I couldn't move at all. Just teleport. Everything else made me sick. Then I tried Armswinger movement in Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades and I didn't get sick that much.
I bought the Natural Locomotion software which enables Armswinger in every game and with that I was able to stop using teleport. Smooth locomotion was still not that great. But after a few months I tried smooth locomotion again and... I didn't get sick at all. I've never used teleport or Armswinger again because I just didn't need it anymore :)

Resenge

It can be overcome. I have read many testimonials from others that confirm the same thing you are having now and have become used to VR. Taking it slow is the key imo. Do try some movement options that you know make you sick but on a small scale and let your mind get used to it.

Take it slow and don't over do it, the more you play the more your mind gets used to VR. There are rare times I still get sick though, when im tired especially but that can also happen on flat screen games too, just much rarer.

I think the worst thing new VR players can do is go all out and expect to compete with veteran VR players. VR is a shock to most people and it takes time to adjust but it's worth it.

Last edited:

azz0r

Banned
I did get immune. When I was new to VR I couldn't move at all. Just teleport. Everything else made me sick. Then I tried Armswinger movement in Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades and I didn't get sick that much.
I bought the Natural Locomotion software which enables Armswinger in every game and with that I was able to stop using teleport. Smooth locomotion was still not that great. But after a few months I tried smooth locomotion again and... I didn't get sick at all. I've never used teleport or Armswinger again because I just didn't need it anymore :)
Fuck I wish I'd see Natural Locomotion before I got this far in Alyx.

Thanks guys, I'll start pushing myself a bit more to experiment with the movement options

Shai-Tan

Banned

I remember going skiing for the first time in a long time and many hours later I could still feel after effects so we can also separate effects from new perceptual experiences from motion sickness. Anyway, exposure most likely helps the motion sickness too. The brain adapts. The first time I played Aircar I felt super sick spinning upside down and I only feel it a little bit now.

Lone Echo mostly mitigates common issues with smooth locomotion but the physics of pulling yourself is still a bit unnatural, more like slingshotting yourself and I think some sickness is contributed by disconnect from controls glitching out on a grip and what was the intended direction of movement.

In addition to the software issues, reprojection (or asw on Oculus) is only ok if it's like less than 10% of frames, preferably only a few % (or none). I didn't make the connection between that and motion sickness right away, turning up graphics settings and wondering why I feel sick when it's dropping to 45fps with motion smoothing later when it became more demanding in actual gameplay. Luckily some games like Lone Echo support Nvidia vrss where instead of setting fixed supersampling you enable vrss in Nvidia control panel and turn up AA instead of cranking SS and it dynamically renders more detail radiating from the center of the screen as the GPU has extra headroom. Before that I felt kinda sick in Lone Echo trying to be a graphics whore and crank SS up.

Top Bottom