• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Oh, this Gundam style mech action game just released too.
I don't know if it's any good yet but it's a real passion project following the sole developer's twitter so hopefully it has merits and will improve too (early access).

Last edited:

Alexios

Alexios

Wolf and Pigs got a Steam page with a nice new gameplay video (though I don't find it is as nicely directed as the last vid).
Is there a browser setting to make this shit not auto play or something? I mean these two are okay but for others with sound, lol...

Last edited:

Alexios

To take this even further, MicroProse has developers building various virtual reality titles at the moment. B-17 Flying Fortress simulators were among the old publisher's biggest hits, so a co-operative VR title about flying one of these iconic aircraft is in the works.

Last edited:
feel like formatting and reinstalling windows - If I have the windows 10 bootfile/installer thing sitting on one of my other harddrives, can I tell windows to boot from that to install windows on the main drive?

Or will I need to put the windows installer on a usb - infact as I am typing this I remember you instruct a usb stick to be a windows booter and it formats it?

Alexios

Last edited:

INC

Disassembly looks great, but I want that in a bf style game, not a tech demo

Still looks better than everything this gen, destruction wise

Alexios

It's out. Waiting for impressions. Looks less free form/more casual than I hoped with the grappling being seemingly the only way to move about. We'll see.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned

Alexios

Some Phantom VR promotioning happening. I really hope it turns out good, the premise is great, we'll see.
Can't believe that guy harps about not having some kind of snap turning for your kayak paddling or what...

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Half-Life: Alyx has been updated to include Steam Workshop support. This includes a beta release of our community development tools, as well as support for Linux and the Vulkan rendering API, and a few small quality of life updates.

Workshop and Editor Tools Beta Release

Half-Life Alyx's level editing tools are now open to the community! You can create new levels, models, textures, and animations for Half-Life: Alyx, and using Steam Workshop you can browse and play everything the community has uploaded.

Want to make your own VR physics sandbox or a giant Rube Goldberg machine? Design a new combat encounter featuring a dozen Combine soldiers at once? What about creating the world's longest Multitool puzzle, or imagining a whole new district of City 17? Crack open the tools yourself and make it happen! If you just want to play what the community's been making, browse the Half-Life Alyx Steam Workshop page to try out the latest and most popular addons.

This is the first Beta release of the Alyx Workshop tools suite, and we intend to add to and improve them in the coming weeks. Included in this release are new or updated versions of:
  • Hammer, the latest version of the Source 2 level editor.
  • Material Editor, the tool for creating and tuning materials in Source 2.
  • ModelDoc, a tool for viewing, editing, and compiling models with animation, collision, and other gameplay attributes.
  • AnimGraph, our animation tool used to create complicated animation setups with blends and transitions.
  • Particle Editor, for making new particle effects.
  • Subrect Editor, for creating smart texture sheets known as "hotspots."
  • Source Filmmaker, the Source 2 cinematic renderer and animation tool.

In addition to these tools, the update includes several sample maps. We've included these to demonstrate and explain how we authored enemy encounters in the game, as well as showcase some new features of the Half-Life: Alyx level art pipeline including tile meshes, static and dynamic cables, and texture hotspotting. The entire set of Half-Life: Alyx maps is also included as editable source for reference - this includes a large collection of interactive objects and prefabs. We'll have news on more features and some smaller additional tools and examples in an future update.

We've also started writing Half-Life: Alyx Workshop Tools documentation. If you're looking to start your first addon, this is a good place to start. This is a beta release of the development suite and we are still writing documentation for many of these tools, but we hope in the meantime you will dive in and learn by exploring for yourself. We can't wait to see what you make!

Linux and Vulkan

The Half Life: Alyx Workshop update adds a native Linux version of the game using the Vulkan rendering API, as well as optional support for using Vulkan on Windows.

Depending on your system, you may experience better performance using Vulkan, especially if your system is closer to minimum spec. To try Vulkan on Windows, open the Half-Life: Alyx main menu and choose Options > Performance > Advanced (Gear icon) > Rendering API. (You must restart the game for the Rendering API choice to take effect.)

On Linux, AMD graphics and the Mesa RADV driver are recommended for best results.

On Linux, if you had installed the game through Proton previously, please follow these steps to correctly download the update:
  • Go in the Properties for Half-Life Alyx by right-clicking the game in your Steam Library
  • Check the "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool" box
  • Uncheck the box, and the download will properly complete.

Spectator View

The spectator view (the view other people see when watching someone play) has received a few small updates as well. The spectator view now supports two zoom levels, and can be run in full screen mode by adding -fullscreen to your Launch Options in Steam. There is also now an option to draw the Spectator HUD directly in the SteamVR "VR View" window, so your spectators can see the HUD along with any other SteamVR overlays you use.

Additional fixes

Fixed some occurrences of the player's in-game hands shaking, GPU optimizations for rendering fog, and CPU optimizations for NPCs.

Version 1.3, Content Build ID: 5035510

Last edited:

Alexios

Demo of this seems to be out though the twitter account or whatever updates venue hasn't mentioned it.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Oculus support is really nice. They will take back my Rift S with faulty headphone jack. I will buy Quest in it's place now that it supports PC even without link cable !!!
Anyone tried some pc gaming on quest? Is oled black as black as it was on cv1? I've finished Alyx on CV1 and on S and despite higher resolution, the S experience was way worse. All the flashlight sections, which were PITCH BLACK on cv1, sucked on S. It even makes fov seem smaller since You clearly see grey screen and on cv1 You cannot identify black screen from blackness of inside of the headset. Is quest similar to cv1 in that aspect on link ?

Alexios

Various PR fluff from oculus today but some nice tidbits anyhow.

Last edited:

Alexios

Some potentially interesting stuff (but sadly The Persistence & Immortal Legacy don't have hand tracking, they're gamepad/seated PSVR ports).

Last edited:

Alexios

The Oculus anniversary sale is live now, some decent stuff including discounts for Journey of the Gods and Drop Dead (exclusives), a deep discount for Raw Data and more. Just double check with Steam, Down the Rabbit Hole is still cheaper there without a sale for example.

Last edited:

Alexios

3144b47d1f2a56303ceb1c45ef6157d4da431550.gif
c453928c561980987e9dccfd3196beffb719256a.gif
5860c6944f7a11a1f6ba4239232dace667500e01.gif
ece6745125416a401719fe30a2fc30bc5946d704.gif

Last edited:

Alexios

Bottles now appear to have liquid inside them that sloshes around as you shake them.
"To take this even further, MicroProse has developers building various virtual reality titles at the moment. B-17 Flying Fortress simulators were among the old publisher's biggest hits, so a co-operative VR title about flying one of these iconic aircraft is in the works."
Some more details about this surfaced, it will have 10-player cooperation to man the different stations in the bombers and is VR-first (and non-VR as well).

Last edited:

Alexios

So, HP's Reverb G2 is basically WMR 1.5 but a really nice high quality implementation, like Samsung's Odyssey was in its time. Hopefully the tracking matches Oculus in quality. Still, I doubt this thing will be worth it for most, especially if Oculus drop the price of the S (it's already ~200 less for its lower resolution and lesser audio), though it'll probably kill HTC's VR with their Cosmos mishaps. Hopefully other companies will follow suit and provide their own take on WMR 1.5 for varying price ranges that can compete, down to the $200 of last gen WMR models but with the base improvements seen here, just different HMD/screen/build quality specs and stuff. Otherwise if you're gonna spend a premium you might as well go full Index. Although it can also be a great choice for simmers as it has really great resolution for that $600 it costs, not like a Pimax or XTAL kit.

I like seeing new VR models that don't overhaul stuff too much though, lol, first Cosmos, now this use a very similar controller layout, it only means Oculus controllers/features remain competitive (it's crazy they got it so right in ~2016) and I don't need to upgrade until some real next gen stuff: VR 2.0 with eye tracking for foveated rendering/gameplay features and finger tracking smoother than index for less moneys or whatever. Maybe wireless connection to PC if that becomes possible already (without crazy extra costs like the Vive wireless adapter). I feel like Quest 2 may have proper wireless (5G?) for PC finally, not the homebrew stuff. But not the other things, too premium to sell any time soon unless they also maintain Quest alongside it and that becomes Quest Pro rather than 2, using its power to run the same games at higher res/hz/settings until they abandon the first.

Last edited:

Alexios

I post what I find interesting. Feel free to make a thread you like about what you like. Things like the Index and Reverb G2 got their own thread(s). Half-Life Alyx got its own thread(s). What else is there to say? I shared my opinion on them all, you can share your opinion as well, here or in the other threads. There's a ton of stuff I don't post, and a ton of stuff I like the look of (which doesn't necessarily mean that they end up worth purchasing when they finally release) that I post. If you just want AAA-esque news, feel free to visit the sites in the OP (which is also updated every so often with relevant new information so people can know what's up in terms of hardware and games) instead of partake in the thread. Whether you think something is shovelware or not (but probably go gaga over game x or y when some site finally notices it and makes an article for it as it approaches release) makes zero difference to me. Hardware comparisons are a google/youtube search away, sorry that I don't have all the money in the world to buy all the VR kits and respond when you ask specific questions like res/clarity of x vs y. I enjoy indie efforts, in and out of VR, and post of it.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
But flooding the pages with these tweeter videos which sometimes autoplay is just crap. There is no visibility for anything else.
It's not a hit on You. These games are just not interesting for most part. Post whatever You want but more curation would be nice.

Alexios

But it is a hit on me, lol, who else in here? Only reddit autoplays. Hopefully they change that in embeds, I dunno if it's reddit's problem or the forum's embed process or even the browsers doing it. Anyway, I don't see any real activity that would sustain a general thread without the media updates of less-than-AAA products in the other mentioned threads still. Nobody cared to make a PC VR thread in ages until I did. You bashed VR left and right in really condescending, ignorant yet adamant ways until recently as if Alyx is the first decent game to surface so we're not going to see eye to eye, obviously. The apparent flood is because only I post so there are no breaks inbetween even if they're posted hours/days apart. If you or anyone had so much to say about Alyx, Reverb G2 or whatever you find is big enough news to care about then there would be breaks. I curate by my interests, put the neater recent updates every new page 1st post, update the OP, etc. You're not an authority on what is shovelware. I love indie efforts, seeing their development and ideas, even if some times they don't pan out in the end. I'll keep posting what I like and you can visit/make threads you like.

Last edited:

Alexios

I forgot Contractors (imo it's VR COD if Onward is VR Ghost Recon and Pavlov VR Counter-Strike) got a mod sdk, this is neat stuff!

Last edited:

Alexios

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:
Top Bottom