• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Zone predicted Battle Royale games in 2001

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
3-C67-A73-C-0-BC6-4203-83-C5-68138524996-A.png

So I was just reading an old PC Zone and found this. Thought it might amuse some of you. Issue 108 (November 2001).

Last edited by a moderator:

Larxia

"Battle Royale" used to sound like a good thing for me, I liked the movie.
And when I saw the movie back then, I was really thinking :
"A game like this could be amazing, but at the same time, I'm not sure how it would be possible to make something like this. Players would have to be really scared of dying for it to have an impact like in the movie, the games would have to be 3 days long too, it's not really possible". And in the end, it turned out to be what battle royale games are now, something I hate and totally not what I had in mind lol.

Keihart

I think everyone though it would be a cool ruleset for MP games, exemplified by the countless mods and devs that started to try to make it happen as soon as it what somewhat feasible to get 100+ - players in a match without too much hassle.

Last edited:
Battle Royale is one of my favorite movies of all time.

I still think BR in games is a nice idea but the only one to hook me was PUBG because it was the only one to give me that rush.
Unfortunately that game has gone downhill (uphill in many ways) but downhill in the ways that matter.

A horror based BR might work pretty well, I wonder if we will ever see that.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

I still think BR in games is a nice idea but the only one to hook me was PUBG because it was the only one to give me that rush.
Unfortunately that game has gone downhill (uphill in many ways) but downhill in the ways that matter.

It's a good film though a hard watch in places. As a concept though it is quite game-y. PUBG also got me for a bit, but tbh I just found in the end that I didn't have the time or energy to put into it at that time and now it's probably too late and Fortnite doesn't appeal to me. It is what it is. I do think it's become a bit overused though, as these things inevitably do.

Digity

Top Bottom