• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCGaf Help Me Decide Between IPS or TN Monitor

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a TN panel precisely for light boost which requires 120hz and the only IPS monitors that I was aware of that could reach that refresh rate were Korean monitors and even then it was iffy.
Lightboost is nice for completely eliminating what little motion blur there is at 120hz for say a fast paced shooter like CSGO. I tried it for a bit, but when I was playing Arkham Asylum it looked horribly washed out so I compared it to the same monitor (VG248QE) with lightboost off and without lightboost the colors, shadows, and atmosphere were fantastic. I never used lightboost again. I get the merit for competitive play, but as someone who likes single player games and rich colors I just can't stand it.

Eiji

I have upgraded from a Dell U2311H 1080p IPS monitor which I've had since late 2010 to a BenQ BL3200PT 1440p AMVA+ monitor. I'm very happy with the new monitor.

The BenQ has 3x more contrast ratio and better blacks and the screen size is much bigger leading to much better gaming immersion. I don't need to mess around with UI scaling in Windows either as 1440p on 32" is fine with 91 PPI i.e similar to a 24" 1080p monitor.

I'll be keeping this monitor until single GPUs that can manage 4K @ 60fps and 4K IPS / VA monitors are at mainstream prices.

Zoc

I have an Eizo VA monitor (Samsung panel, I believe) from 2010 or so, but I can't really use it for games because of the terrible ghosting and motion smearing. Have they fixed that problem in more recent VA panels?

Kyoufu

I have an Eizo VA monitor (Samsung panel, I believe) from 2010 or so, but I can't really use it for games because of the terrible ghosting and motion smearing. Have they fixed that problem in more recent VA panels?

I have the Eizo FG2421 and no issues with it. It was expensive but I love it.

TN monitors are hard to get right. Every one that I've used has had some light bleed, sometimes severe, and all have had shitty colors. It's fine when you use one all day at work like I do but when I want colors to pop IPS is the only way to go.

If your budget can afford it, I say IPS + Gsync. If high framerates are necessary then you don't have a choice but to spend a lot or go TN. Personally I'll take 60hz and good colors every day of the week. I owned a high refresh rate TN and put it back in the box immediately; the colors were god awful. Some people need refresh rates like they need oxygen so in the end it depends on what games you play and how much your gaming calls for it.

Giever

This thread has me thinking about a new display now.. what would people say is the best VA panel on the market?

If you can get an issue free eizo fg2421 that's a great one, as it is the only 120hz VA panel on the market right now. Problem is many ppl (myself included) seem to run into some kind of issue with these monitors upon arrival. (heavy backlight bleed, distortion dead pixel clusters, etch.) Also, Color space coverage is low, but if you get a good one they are very nice monitors.

Qwyjibo

This is a good thread as I've been researching all this stuff lately too. I can't remember the last time I've read so much about electronics and still not come to a decision. Not only the IPS vs TN but also 24 vs 27 inch and 1080p vs 1440p.

"The Internet" keeps telling me that 1080p at 27 inches doesn't look good but there are some solid 27 inch IPS monitors that seem like good buys. But then I just wonder if I should wait for my new build (probably towards the end of this year) and see what 27 inch 1440p prices look like then.

Sanctuary

If you can get a 1440p IPS that doesn't have any input lag and can go higher than 60fps, go for that. TN panels may have improved through through the years, but most are still trash tier when it comes to color quality, blacks and viewing angles (which matters even when you're sitting "still" directly in front of the screen). IPS panels on the other hand have gained more ground in terms of refresh rates and input lag.

Banned
Well I ended up going with IPS. The worlds first and only Gsync IPS monitor the Acer XB270HU.

j0KotFR.jpg

Dem colours.

Fv07nGR.gif

$1092 after taxes.
Lp6sYG3.gif

Guys, I have the Iiyama xb2483hsu monitor and it looks good. However, during the day; I can't see shit in the Witcher and other dark games. Even with brightness on 100 percent.

The black level test on lagom.nl also shows just the last few rows.

In the evening, when daylight subsides I can easily see everything. Is there any fix for this? I'm using DVI.

On HDMI things are better but games lock to 59 frames.

Sorry for posting here, but I'm not able to make my own threads and can't find any information on this.

Top Bottom