• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

S. L.

Mr. Spinnington said:
weird, i can't figure out what's up but f8 isn't screenshotting
you looking in the right folder?
by default they go into "Libraries\Documents\pcsx2\snaps" and not your local pcsx2 folder

luka

Loves Robotech S1
cory said:
In GSDX, what's the difference between having texture filtering checked vs filled in?

I believe having it checked means everything gets filtered, and filled in (half-checked) means only textures get filtered and 2d elements are untouched.

Durante

Peter.Simpson909 said:
Any chance you'd have a 720p copy of that .gif? It takes forever for some people to wrap their heads around the difference. This makes it pretty clear.
It doesn't work well as a gif animation, but here are the individual images:
compare1_pcsx2m5h3.jpg

compare1_ps2e653.jpg

You can e.g. open each in a tab and flip between them for comparison.

I really want to play FFXII again now, Only 2 more chapters of XIII left.

Does PCSX require a specific region disc for the highest quality emulation or is my PAL original fine?

cory

Banned
I've been playing FFX lately. I haven't played it in years, and I had played it the wrong way so I never got very far. It's really all about character juggling, if you don't have the right people fighting, you'll probably die. Sphere Grid is pretty boring so far for me.
I didn't bother taking pics. If there were empty buttons to assign it to on the controller, I would.

cory

Banned
Some parts of X still impress for an almost 10 year old game.
Unfortunately, there are still some alpha problems with hair and feathers and stuff like that.
Though I think his character design is pretty bad, the facial modeling/detail is incredible:
ffx11wxeo.jpg

I almost feel like tracking down a BC PS3 so I can play these games upscaled at 720p but don't feel like dealing with the dieing Blu-Ray drives I keep hearing about.

It's either a PS3 or an eventual i7 upgrade. Desicions, desicions....

cory

Banned
riceandbeans said:
I almost feel like tracking down a BC PS3 so I can play these games upscaled at 720p but don't feel like dealing with the dieing Blu-Ray drives I keep hearing about.

PS3 upscaling does not make the games look anywhere near as good as the emulator can.

B.K.

I really want to get this thing running on my computer, but I need a video card. This is a new computer, so it's running the integrated crap. I don't know if it has what it takes to run it though. I have a 2.7GHz dual core processor and 7GB of ram. If I get a new video card, would I be able to run it? I've been able to get Final Fantasy X to run at about 3FPS even with the integrated chipset.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
luka said:
Hard to say, it was pretty much the first thing I did when I got the thing over a year ago.
Oh, okay, I want to OC my processor, but since I won't be upgrading anything, I don't know if it will be fine on stock parts.

B.K. said:
I really want to get this thing running on my computer, but I need a video card. This is a new computer, so it's running the integrated crap. I don't know if it has what it takes to run it though. I have a 2.7GHz dual core processor and 7GB of ram. If I get a new video card, would I be able to run it? I've been able to get Final Fantasy X to run at about 3FPS even with the integrated chipset.
With this emu the CPU is more important than the graphics card, apparently. 2.7GHz may be too slow though.

GPU doesn't have to be a high end card, anything that's mid-range will work fine.

sinny

Banned
Hey guys im going to give ps2 emulation a try

My specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
ATI 5770 Vapor X 1GB
4GB RAM
Win7 32

What plug ins and rev should i use ? :D

B.K.

hateradio said:
With this emu the CPU is more important than the graphics card, apparently. 2.7GHz may be too slow though.

GPU doesn't have to be a high end card, anything that's mid-range will work fine.

I see. I tried again a while ago to see if I could get any better results and with low settings, I managed to get 15fps. So with my processor, it's not even worth spending the money to upgrade to try?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
B.K. said:
im running a 1.8GHz C2D 6320, 4GB ram, Windows 7 64, and an 8600 GTS and i get pretty good performance with Final Fantasy X. In my experience, going from XP to Win 7 has slowed down PCSX2 performance a lot.. a lot of the test videos i was doing before i got almost fullspeed all the time with much older emulator builds. Even when recording in HD with Fraps the framerate hit wasnt bad.. instead of 100% speed i was getting 80-90% speed with Fraps recording.

Your system should be fine for running the emu from my experience. Even a low-end $60 video card is going to be as fast or faster than what i have and you have a much faster CPU.

S. L.

B.K. said:
I see. I tried again a while ago to see if I could get any better results and with low settings, I managed to get 15fps. So with my processor, it's not even worth spending the money to upgrade to try?
integrated graphics could be a bottleneck.
well try to run it at native resolution with as many speedhacks as possible, then check in the windows process manager if two of your cpu cores are at 100% load, if not your graphics card is your bottleneck

Goron2000

best junior ever
cory said:
Unfortunately, there are still some alpha problems with hair and feathers and stuff like that.
Though I think his character design is pretty bad, the facial modeling/detail is incredible:
ffx154z2l.jpg

I never noticed Yuna had a green and a blue eye. Amazing :lol

B.K.

S. L. said:
integrated graphics could be a bottleneck.
well try to run it at native resolution with as many speedhacks as possible, then check in the windows process manager if two of your cpu cores are at 100% load, if not your graphics card is your bottleneck

I tried that. One of the cores was near 100% and the other kept hovering around 50%. I'll just update my video card eventually. It's just going to be annoying to do because I need to put in a new power supply too.

cory

Banned
Goron2000 said:
I never noticed Yuna had a green and a blue eye. Amazing :lol
Visible sign that she's part
Al-Bhed
Did you ever notice that Rikku's eyes are green and swirly?

cory said:
Just wondering, does X still have some of the funny bugs where bosses will be turned backwards? I remember that happening a lot when my roommate was playing it on r1888.

cory

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:
Just wondering, does X still have some of the funny bugs where bosses will be turned backwards? I remember that happening a lot when my roommate was playing it on r1888.
Not that I know of.
:( Game crashed on me with a half hour unsaved. Usually their are copious save points, but unfortunately, I hit a large gap.

Remfin

AdawgDaFAB said:
AFAIK that bug doesn't happen if one of your Round Modes is set to a specific level. I think the new default mode is whatever that level is so new users aren't likely to see it (but people who keep updating and not deleting their inis may).

cory

Banned
How long is FFX? I know I'm halfway through the bullet points in a FAQ, at Macalania Woods/15hrs but what % would that be of the main story?

On the left is close to how Tidus' hair should look, however it runs at 3 fps this way. On the right is how it looks at playable settings.
(Can switch by turning VU1 to interpreter mode)

Does anyone have any recommendations for settings for FFXII? I have an i7, 6 gigs of ram, and a radeon 5870.

I tried messing around some with the emulator already using GSDX SSE41 for video and ZeroSPU for sound, but I can't seem to find the settings to make the game run well.

Edit: I messed around some more for a few hours and got it to work nice. A constant 60 fps, besides some minor one or two second long slowdowns to ~45 fps occasionally.

cory

Banned
Persona 3 FES and Persona 4.
I got these games because I've been on a crazy JRPG kick lately and have heard so much about them.
Great most of the time, some slowdown, minor GFX errors.
***Use a Recent Build***
Settings from the PCSX2 boards:
EE Cycle Rate 2x
INIT Hack
Enable IOP x2 Cycle Rate
Not sure if it makes a difference.

p3fes027n680.jpg

pfour7x6ns.jpg

Dash

riceandbeans said:

People and their damn obsession with the i7. The i5 750 will give you almost as good a performance for emulators, with the only difference being in their default clock speeds. Hyperthreading will not add anything to the performance.

Persona 3 and 4 look amazing despite simple texturing and polys, Atlus knows how to do that well. So much detail in those games that you can't see in its native res, looks blurry as fuck on my PS2. I have to replay them soon on this.

Speaking of which, is there any way to stop the blurring effect I get when playing SMT: Nocturne? Seems to be the same sort of effect that happening in some of those P4 shots. Or better yet can someone post good/working settings for it?

CryptiK

Can someone get a hold of the old Transformers PS2 game that was based on the Armada series and completely max it out with AA etc at high res I want to know how it would look please

vazel

Banned
I should be doing hw said:
Persona 3 and 4 look amazing despite simple texturing and polys, Atlus knows how to do that well. So much detail in those games that you can't see in its native res, looks blurry as fuck on my PS2. I have to replay them soon on this.

Speaking of which, is there any way to stop the blurring effect I get when playing SMT: Nocturne? Seems to be the same sort of effect that happening in some of those P4 shots. Or better yet can someone post good/working settings for it?
Haha if you're seeing detail in Persona games that you didn't see on a SDTV then you had a really shitty bottom of the barrel SDTV.

CryptiK

CryptiK said:
Can someone get a hold of the old Transformers PS2 game that was based on the Armada series and completely max it out with AA etc at high res I want to know how it would look please
Also dont worry about whats on the compatibility chart can someone just try it please.

Durante

cory said:
Other than weird shadows, what other problems are there?
I don't know what problems there are right now (from the screenshots it seems like very few) -- back when I tried it around the release of each respective game there were tons of geometry issues, forcing me to play on my PS2. But PCSX2 has improved a lot since then.

tokkun

vazel said:
Haha if you're seeing detail in Persona games that you didn't see on a SDTV then you had a really shitty bottom of the barrel SDTV.

I have experimented with Persona 4 extensively in PCSX2, and there are definitely texture details that aren't visible at SD resolution, even when looking at the output directly from the emulator without a TV. It's much more pronounced in P4 than in P3.

Durante said:
I don't know what problems there are right now (from the screenshots it seems like very few) -- back when I tried it around the release of each respective game there were tons of geometry issues, forcing me to play on my PS2. But PCSX2 has improved a lot since then.

there was also that issue in the Answer where the game would freeze up if you attacked with Aigis on the tower's floor thingies. That's actually what stopped me from finishing up P3 completely; has it been fixed?

sam27368

Banned
So gaf, I'm looking at getting a new system anyway. Can you recommend me a processor, graphics card, and ram to run this emu at top whack.

Chris R

Is the website (and download page) down for anyone else? I went to go and grab the files to setup stuff again since I hadn't done it since I reformated with Windows7 a few months back and nothing works.

LaneDS

rhfb said:
Is the website (and download page) down for anyone else? I went to go and grab the files to setup stuff again since I hadn't done it since I reformated with Windows7 a few months back and nothing works.

Yep, it's down currently it seems.

Anyone playing FFXII alright on a Q9300 and GTX260? Tried multiple versions and plugins and they all either don't boot or constantly drop around 65-82% during gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom