• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBison

Thanks guys, one more question..

A lot of your screenshots of FF12 seem to have an amazing amount of anti-aliasing/jaggy killing going on. What are you adjusting to smooth that out? My character at the start seemed to be a little jaggifiric and wasn't sure what I should mess with to adjust that, if anything. I'm sure it will destroy the frame rate on my machine but wanted to try.

thanks!

Ceebs

MBison said:
Thanks guys, one more question..

A lot of your screenshots of FF12 seem to have an amazing amount of anti-aliasing/jaggy killing going on. What are you adjusting to smooth that out? My character at the start seemed to be a little jaggifiric and wasn't sure what I should mess with to adjust that, if anything. I'm sure it will destroy the frame rate on my machine but wanted to try.

thanks!

The easiest way is to just raise the internal rendering resolution. Keep it at the same ratio as your display resolution though.

Durante

Ceebs said:
The easiest way is to just raise the internal rendering resolution. Keep it at the same ratio as your display resolution though.
Actually, often it's more important to keep it as a integer multiple of the original PS2 rendering resolution of the game. It doesn't really matter if the downscaling at the end is anamorphic.

Trying to mess around with stuff to get MGS3 running. I downloaded GSDX10, but for some reason it doesn't have the same amount of options in it that I saw in the pics on the previous page, and it actually runs slower than older versions of GSDX I have.

Can someone link me to the exact plugin I should be using? I think I could just about get this game running at 30 FPS if I can find the newest plugin I should be using.

Remfin

autobzooty said:
Trying to mess around with stuff to get MGS3 running. I downloaded GSDX10, but for some reason it doesn't have the same amount of options in it that I saw in the pics on the previous page, and it actually runs slower than older versions of GSDX I have.
Some of those options have been moved into the general program settings and some are no longer needed (they figured out the underlying logic better and no longer need to use the hacks).

Can someone link me to the exact plugin I should be using? I think I could just about get this game running at 30 FPS if I can find the newest plugin I should be using.
March 11th plugin pack

MBison

Durante said:
Actually, often it's more important to keep it as a integer multiple of the original PS2 rendering resolution of the game. It doesn't really matter if the downscaling at the end is anamorphic.

Well, my desktop res is 1920 by 1080. What should I put in as my D3D internal rendering then?

I put that in and it seemed to look and work fine, but if there are better options I'd like to use them.

Remfin said:
You need to use the GSDX version that your CPU supports. My guess is you're trying to use an SSE4 build of GSDX.

I believe both the game and the plugin need Widescreen set.
DX10 mode only sets the D3D internal. In full-screen it uses your desktop resolution, and you can manually resize the window to whatever size you want if you don't want to do that.

If you are using one of the beta builds with the new UI you can set the window size through Config->App Settings.
? So if I've upped the internal res of the game, it will go back to my monitor res if I go to fullscreen?

Hoooollly crap, FFXII looks like shit on my PS3. I think I have no choice but to play it emulated :lol What settings and plug-ins do you guys recommend? I have an E5200 overclocked to 3GHz and an ATI 4770.

bran

My old PS2 slim made nice circles on the bottom of my Yakuza 2 disc.... F*#@?

Is Yakuza 2 fully playable and completable on PCSX2?

cory

Banned
I just got back into Rabanastre after finding the Dawn Shard.
Am I still on "Disc 1" of FFXII?
I've never made it this far before.

Here are some shots, mostly of the first epser.
ffxii41gafw.jpg

Chairhome

cory said:
I can't remember, to tell you the truth. Are you playing the International version?

cory said:
At first I thought I was crying but it turns out to be semen leaking from my eyes. My eyes are cumming.
Fuck me FFXII looks amazing.

Undubbed

I tried this emulator a few months ago and found that most the games I tried wouldn't even start and the ones that did ran at a slide show pace. Best working one was probably Final Fantasy XII. Not quite slide-show but definitely extremely low frame rate.

And let's see, I have:

Windows 7
AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.4Ghz 64-bit
GeForce 9800 GT
2 GB RAM

I'm thinking maybe it's either I have a too weak system, the settings are wrong, or this is the best the emulator can do.

bucklam66

I'm using the r1888 beta for Final Fantasy XII and how do eliminate some of this screen tearing? I have already forced triple buffering or is that just the price I pay for high resolution FFXII?

S. L.

Undubbed said:
I tried this emulator a few months ago and found that most the games I tried wouldn't even start and the ones that did ran at a slide show pace. Best working one was probably Final Fantasy XII. Not quite slide-show but definitely extremely low frame rate.

And let's see, I have:

Windows 7
AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.4Ghz 64-bit
GeForce 9800 GT
2 GB RAM

I'm thinking maybe it's either I have a too weak system, the settings are wrong, or this is the best the emulator can do.
i'd say your cpu is too slow. also most games should start just fine even if you system is too weak, so something went wrong there too.

cory

Banned
I should be doing hw said:
At first I thought I was crying but it turns out to be semen leaking from my eyes. My eyes are cumming.
Fuck me FFXII looks amazing.
:lol :lol If you saw it in motion, every cell in your body would explode and turn into semen.

bran

Why are you guys all playing FF12 just for the sake of playing FF12?

Anyways, to answer my previous question myself,....

Yakuza 2 plays fine on my lowly 3years old Q6600, stock speed.

2x internal rendering, r1888, 9600GT

Much better looking than my PS3 upscaled and PS2 over svideo can do for Yakuza 2.

bran said:

Much better looking than my PS3 upscaled and PS2 over svideo can do for Yakuza 2.

I got the International version recently so that's why I'm playing through it. I really love the changes.

bran said:

I've never played it, so I ordered International and want to get the best experience out of it by using PCSX2.

S. L. said:
i'd say your cpu is too slow. also most games should start just fine even if you system is too weak, so something went wrong there too.

I just think that AMD processors don't run pcsx2 as well because they are limited to the SSE2 gpu plugins. I've got a quad core phenom clocked at 3.2 and my game still lags during the quickenings.

Aesius

SundaySounds said:
I just think that AMD processors don't run pcsx2 as well because they are limited to the SSE2 gpu plugins. I've got a quad core phenom clocked at 3.2 and my game still lags during the quickenings.

Some games just lag no matter what. And apparently you need close to 4ghz to get full performance.

SundaySounds said:

Quads don't matter much because the emulator only uses 2 cores and AMD's run slightly worse in PCSX2. To get top performance, you've gotta OC like the other guy said to something around 3.6GHZ-4.0GHZ.

riceandbeans said:
Quads don't matter much because the emulator only uses 2 cores and AMD's run slightly worse in PCSX2. To get top performance, you've gotta OC like the other guy said to something around 3.6GHZ-4.0GHZ.

Original Phenom's don't clock for shit so he's basically SOL.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Here's a break from FFXII... KoFXI runs almost flawlessly, save for a bit of glitchiness in the backgrounds. Wish I could say the same for Garou. :(

pcsx22010-03-2422-44-2sbfi.png

Before I got my arcade sticks, I used to use PCSX2 all the time to play KoF XI since my fav controller (more specifically d-pad) for fighting games is the Logitech Rumblepad 2. It's so nice and convenient to be able to go from some KoF 2002 on GGPO and immediately go into some XI without having to bust out the PS2.

S. L.

gsdx_20100325151349ge7h.jpg
gsdx_201003251516099gs1.jpg

edit: whoops forgot that there is a widescreen mode in the game
gsdx_20100325153455vuv6.jpg
gsdx_20100325153459nuun.jpg
gsdx_20100325153544d5er.jpg
gsdx_2010032515362435dz.jpg

Star Ocean 3 seems to run pretty good, just make sure you have the tri-ace gamefix enabled, else the game will crash on boot.

brain_stew said:
Original Phenom's don't clock for shit so he's basically SOL.

Sorry, I meant Phenom II x4 955 BE. I bought a new cooling fan for it so I could overclock, I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
S. L. said:
Star Ocean 3 seems to run pretty good, just make sure you have the tri-ace gamefix enabled, else the game will crash on boot.
wow, looks pretty nice. Awesome game, btw. I got stuck playing it when I went to styx, and all the enemies jumped up like, 20 lvls and I couldn't beat any of them. lol.

Ledsen

So as far as I understand, the performance of this emulator relies largely on your processor, is that correct? If so, how will my brand new laptop with i3 330m 2.13 Ghz, 4 GB RAM and an ATI 5650m fare?

onken

Well my new graphics card has arrived but installing it appears to have broken my motherboard, oh well! I'll run you properly one day, pcsx2. I'd forgotten how much I love PC gaming.

Ledsen said:
So as far as I understand, the performance of this emulator relies largely on your processor, is that correct? If so, how will my brand new laptop with i3 330m 2.13 Ghz, 4 GB RAM and an ATI 5650m fare?

Bad. 2.13Ghz just isn't enough.

Ledsen

onken said:
Well my new graphics card has arrived but installing it appears to have broken my motherboard, oh well! I'll run you properly one day, pcsx2. I'd forgotten how much I love PC gaming.

Bad. 2.13Ghz just isn't enough.

:( So it doesn't matter that it's the new, faster Intel i processors?

S. L.

Ledsen said:
i thought i read on gaf that i3 are c2d processors with a different name, so that won't help.
still some games might run ok with it.

also seeing how good Star Ocean ran, i wanna try out my Valkyrie Profile 2, but the game is somewhere buried deep under my bed :lol

inner-G

Banned
Ledsen said:
The support newer instruction sets, but I don't know if it will overcome raw clock.

I have an i3 laptop too, and the i3's don't do the 'boost' or whatever like the new i5s.

Nice MIRA shots. LOVE that game, but it only plays ~35 FPS on my system (using 0.9.7.2760 with GSdx 2693 SSE2). Do you use any speed hacks / game fixes?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
AdawgDaFAB said:
Nice MIRA shots. LOVE that game, but it only plays ~35 FPS on my system (using 0.9.7.2760 with GSdx 2693 SSE2). Do you use any speed hacks / game fixes?

Using the same build (GSdx 2693 SSE41 DX10) I get a solid 60fps in gameplay at native res. I use 3x EE cyclerate, INTC/BIFC0 spin detection, and mVU flag hack with no problems. At 2x scaling I get a still fairly playable 50fps.

Tried those settings and got only 40-43 fps. Funny thing is it is the same speed no matter if I run it on native or 2x. I might need to try over clocking my system then. I'm running on a Phenom II X3 720 @ 2.8 GHz.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
hateradio said:
I have the same CPU, was there a considerable gain after you OC'd it?

Hard to say, it was pretty much the first thing I did when I got the thing over a year ago. :lol

Durante

I recently made this gif to demonstrate the difference between "upscaling" and "rendering at a higher resolution" to someone:

compare7ebl.gif

(It's a crop - for file size reasons - from FF12, switching between PS2 native resolution and 24 times that, both displayed at 720p using bicubic scaling)

Durante said:
I recently made this gif to demonstrate the difference between "upscaling" and "rendering at a higher resolution" to someone:

compare7ebl.gif

(It's a crop - for file size reasons - from FF12, switching between PS2 native resolution and 24 times that, both displayed at 720p using bicubic scaling)

Any chance you'd have a 720p copy of that .gif? It takes forever for some people to wrap their heads around the difference. This makes it pretty clear.

Arucardo

What kind of processor do you need to get 60fps in God of War 2? I've got an E8400 OC'd to 4ghz and it can't handle it :lol , drops to 40-45fps every now and then without speedhacks. GPU is a 4870 so that's def. not causing the framerate drops.

jediyoshi

Peter.Simpson909 said:
Any chance you'd have a 720p copy of that .gif? It takes forever for some people to wrap their heads around the difference. This makes it pretty clear.

A 1280x720 .gif would have too much compression, but here's another comparison with some more stuff in the shot. Watch Fran turn into a glob of pixels.

9j3qlg.gif

There's something about the texturing style that makes some of the models stand out nicely upscaled

2mz0dtz.jpg

27y33vk.jpg

Arucardo

Man, Square should really consider doing a Final Fantasy collection or something for PS3, those shots look awesome compared to the ps2 internal resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom