• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

S. L.

Pai Pai Master said:
Anyone playing FFXII alright on a Q9300 and GTX260? Tried multiple versions and plugins and they all either don't boot or constantly drop around 65-82% during gameplay.
the Q9300 with 2.5Ghz is probably too slow for ffxii.
you could try overclocking it to ~3Ghz which should give you decent performance with pcsx2

Reallink

S. L. said:
the Q9300 with 2.5Ghz is probably too slow for ffxii.
you could try overclocking it to ~3Ghz which should give you decent performance with pcsx2

Any games that make for a particularly good test on a slow PC? I haven't found a game that's really playable on an i7 720qm and OC'ed 230M.

Durante

Pai Pai Master said:
Anyone playing FFXII alright on a Q9300 and GTX260? Tried multiple versions and plugins and they all either don't boot or constantly drop around 65-82% during gameplay.
This is strange, I get over 130 FPS in FF12 when I disable frame limiting, which means that a CPU that is half as fast as mine should make it playable. Are you using the latest SVN version and have you enabled the safe speedhacks for the game?

Goron2000

best junior ever
Durante said:
This is strange, I get over 130 FPS in FF12 when I disable frame limiting, which means that a CPU that is half as fast as mine should make it playable. Are you using the latest SVN version and have you enabled the safe speedhacks for the game?

Doesn't really work like that.

Durante

Goron2000 said:
Doesn't really work like that.
Well, I can see how it could vary by a few percent due to synchronization overhead or whatever, but the difference seems too big. Two threads on my CPU are certainly not even close to more than twice as fast as two threads on a Q9300.

S. L.

Reallink said:
Any games that make for a particularly good test on a slow PC? I haven't found a game that's really playable on an i7 720qm and OC'ed 230M.
aren't i7 supposed to be like really fast?

SOLDIER

S. L. said:
compiled me todays build, so if you are interested:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1159887/pcsx2_0.97.2809.rar (SSE4 only)
supposedly there is a minor general speedup according to changelog

I gave this a try, and it seems to run fine, but the sound is really choppy and of generally poor quality.

Is there a particularly recommended SPU2 plugin, or is there a setting I need to enable?

Also, do any of these emulators finally run Rule of Rose properly?

Reallink

S. L. said:
aren't i7 supposed to be like really fast?

Nah that's one of the laptop variants. It's maybe a little faster than the Q6600 Quad Desktop it replaced. That latest build you posted is a HUGE improvement over the 9.6 release. The sound is really messed up in it though. Is that a known issue or something I'm doing (e.g. I'm playing off the original retail disc)?

LaneDS

I tried running my stock copy of FFXII last night and ended up where the game would start, I'd hear the game audio in the background, but I'd only receive a black screen. The framerate counter would skip around a bit (near 60fps), but no matter what settings I tried (DX9 hardware with the SSSE3 GS plugin, for example) the result would be the same. I'm sure there are any number of things it might be, but I figure might as well ask and see if there are quick fixes.

Already had tried disabling the speedhacks, in case that helps.

Remfin

Well, the obvious thing to attempt is to update your DirectX. I think any recent version needs the Feb '10 version.

I also believe the newer versions of GSDX need the Platform Update for Vista to be able to use DX10 mode (unless he backed out that change). I don't remember if that change made DX9 freak out or not.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God Hand works amazingly well and looks 10x better in motion (60fps).

TEEsHzmYD.png

UNuMJxXrl.png

So damn awesome.

(also, I'm fuck awesome at the game. That's why I'm at level Die all the time.)

LaneDS

Remfin said:
Well, the obvious thing to attempt is to update your DirectX. I think any recent version needs the Feb '10 version.

I also believe the newer versions of GSDX need the Platform Update for Vista to be able to use DX10 mode (unless he backed out that change). I don't remember if that change made DX9 freak out or not.

Oddly enough when I was messing with plugins I'd only see DX9 and DX11 options available. I'll try both of your suggestions when I'm home later, so thanks.

S. L.

LaneDS said:
Oddly enough when I was messing with plugins I'd only see DX9 and DX11 options available. I'll try both of your suggestions when I'm home later, so thanks.
afair DX10 and DX11 recently got merged into DX11 only.

jett

D-Member
Yoshichan said:

TEEsHzmYD.png

UNuMJxXrl.png

So damn awesome.

...FAIL

You're clearly just upscaling the resolution, you're not actually running the game in HD. You have to crank up the internal resolution.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
jett said:
...FAIL

You're clearly just upscaling the resolution, you're not actually running the game in HD. You have to crank up the internal resolution.
:lol I had no intentions of actually playing it in HD, my monitor doesn't even support anything over 1280x1024 (and even at that resolution, I get huge black borders across the screen)!

Yoshichan said:
:lol I had no intentions of actually playing it in HD, my monitor doesn't even support anything over 1280x1024 (and even at that resolution, I get huge black borders across the screen)!

... oh dear

Yoshichan

Crap, I just noticed. (Serious question) Is it bannable to post pictures that doesn't contain 1080p with a massive amount of AA in this thread >_<?

cory

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Dude, I have a 1440x900 monitor, which has less pixels than yours, and there's no reason not to scale the internal resolution if it works correctly.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Yoshichan said:
You know that 1280 is an HD horizontal resolution :D you just have more pixels w/a 5:4 display, just stretch the images.

Yoshichan said:
Crap, I just noticed. (Serious question) Is it bannable to post pictures that doesn't contain 1080p with a massive amount of AA in this thread >_<?
And no it's not ban worthy :lol not even in the PC screen shots thread

sinny

Banned
hateradio said:
You know that 1280 is an HD horizontal resolution :D you just have more pixels w/a 5:4 display, just stretch the images.

And no it's not ban worthy :lol not even in the PC screen shots thread

Yet

:p

Yoshichan

hateradio said:
You know that 1280 is an HD horizontal resolution :D you just have more pixels w/a 5:4 display, just stretch the images
But it looks terrible that way!!! :( I must be doing something wrong.

cory

Banned
Here are some GT4 shots, I finally got the game to work with newer SVN's, but it runs horribly.
(The reason why it's dark is that it has to be set at 0 brightness or else it won't display)
gt40063v5k.jpg

gt4012yk4p.jpg

S. L.

:lol :lol :lol
i play mostly in native or 2x resolution as my 8600GT gfx is really too slow to do any highres rendering

Yoshichan said:
But it looks terrible that way!!! :( I must be doing something wrong.
just select 2x or 3x (or more) in the gdsx options, whatever your gfx card can handle.
if your pic is jumpy, cycle trough the deinterlacing options (F5) till it looks fine

I was just thinking "what is a shitty cel shaded game do I own that I could show off" and then I remembered Auto Modellista

2dl7sq8.jpg

211qyie.jpg

dat sterile boring game

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yoshichan said:
jett said:
...FAIL

You're clearly just up scaling the resolution, you're not actually running the game in HD. You have to crank up the internal resolution.
To be fair, he wouldn't be able to play it at much higher resolution than default - the game just gets extremely slow if i try to run it on anything but native.

And then, when i put it on native, i have to limit the frames, because it runs too fast... :S

If you turn up the speedhacks, elements/background starts to blink/disappear.

JudgeN

Is there a way to transfer saves from your PS2 memory card and use them on PCSX2?

Also is the emulator easy to setup/configure?

System:
Q6600 @3.6
4 gig ram
Windows 7 64 bit

Should be OK right?

JudgeN said:
Is there a way to transfer saves from your PS2 memory card and use them on PCSX2?

Also is the emulator easy to setup/configure?

System:
Q6600 @3.6
4 gig ram
Windows 7 64 bit

Should be OK right?

I wonder if you could use a PS2>PS3 memory card adapter to get your saves either onto the PS3 or a PC -- once they were on the PS3, you might be able to back them up to USB stick, if direct transfer to PC failed using the adapter.

JudgeN

Holy shit can't believe I didn't do this soon, PS2 games look fantastic now :lol

Some questions though

Using the Lilypad 0.9.9 (I think) and i'm having trouble getting the D pad on my 360 controller configured, everything else seems to work great but the D pad. Anyone using a 360 pad and how do you have yours configured?

Also I tried using GSdx v0.1.14 SSSE3 support with Direct3D10 (Hardware) and set the D3D internal res to 1680x1050 but when I started my game it loaded the game at 910x555 or something random. If I use Direct3D9 it works correctly, so is there a way to fix this?

ArjanN

Aon said:
That happens on the PS2 as well ><

Nah, if you turn on the hacks there's a lot more glitches than on a real PS2. And I remember running God hand a lot better (perfectly in fact) on a older build.

Remfin

JudgeN said:
Also I tried using GSdx v0.1.14 SSSE3 support with Direct3D10 (Hardware) and set the D3D internal res to 1680x1050 but when I started my game it loaded the game at 910x555 or something random. If I use Direct3D9 it works correctly, so is there a way to fix this?
Internal is just that...internal. There are 3 ways to set the window size:

1. Drag it manually. Good luck with this, and I don't know if it saves your settings
  2. Set the resolution in GSDX and switch to full-screen mode (DX9). It will switch to full-screen (and use that video mode).
  3. Use a beta build of the emulator and it has an option to explicitly set the GS window size yourself by typing in values

ArjanN said:
Nah, if you turn on the hacks there's a lot more glitches than on a real PS2. And I remember running God hand a lot better (perfectly in fact) on a older build.

Same here, just wish I could remember which one. Runs like shit on all the recent ones.

Remfin

r2818: microVU: FIX FINAL FANTASY X HAIR!!!111!!!1!! (Enthusiasm at rama's request. Thank him for being noisy enough about this to get it seriously looked at.)

Oh glorious, glorious day!

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Remfin said:
r2818: microVU: FIX FINAL FANTASY X HAIR!!!111!!!1!! (Enthusiasm at rama's request. Thank him for being noisy enough about this to get it seriously looked at.)

Oh glorious, glorious day!
What exactly was fixed / previously wrong with it?

JudgeN

Anyone got any experience running VP2? It runs like crap on my machine 31 FPS, looks blurry as hell, and has vertical lines all down the screen. Anyway to get rid of this?

Celcius

°Temp. member
cory said:
Here are some GT4 shots, I finally got the game to work with newer SVN's, but it runs horribly.
(The reason why it's dark is that it has to be set at 0 brightness or else it won't display)
Nice, any tips for getting gt3 to work?

S. L.

JudgeN said:
Anyone got any experience running VP2? It runs like crap on my machine 31 FPS, looks blurry as hell, and has vertical lines all down the screen. Anyway to get rid of this?
dug it out from under my bed and it runs fairly good on my E8400 (3ghz) the map is in the 40-60fps range, battle in the 50-60fps range. No graphical glitches. I suspect with 3.5Ghz or so it would run flawless.
Remember to enable the progressive scan mode in the game (Triangle + X while booting, will look a bit smoother)

Niebelung Valesti Bitches!
gsdx_20100409175901a0us.jpg

gsdx_20100409180014w179.jpg

gsdx_20100409175902e2s1.jpg

gsdx_20100409175903q2gl.jpg

it isn't even all that demanding for the gfx card, i was able to run it with 2x scaling on my poopy nvidia 8600gt!

Zakkath

Sigh, I tried to find a guide on how to dump your PS2 Bios, but the only ones I found either required a slim PS2 or an Ethernet adapter. I have the original model with no adapter, so I cannot use those methods. I'd much prefer not having to find a trustworthy source to download it. Does anyone know of another legit way to get the PS2 bios ?

There is no real trustworthy source for PS2 bios and getting them the legit way is next to impossible. I torrented mine and that seemed to work, I only advocate this for bios though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom