• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peggle 2 launching first on Xbox One

Minsc

Gold Member
Was never able to get in to peggle, but good news for Xbox One I guess. Didn't realize it had a big console following where they'd get it as an exclusive.

this seems like an odd thing to moneyhat. Was the first peggle game really that successful?

It was insanely popular, that much I know. I'm sure it made a ton of money too.

Mik2121

As someone already said... what's the purpose of this? I don't think it's going to sell a $400 (forgot the actual price but something around that right?) machine, it's just a "fuck you" to everybody owning any other console and wanting to buy the game.

I would have bought the game after the first few PS4 titles launch, but if it gets delayed and comes during the second wave of games, it's just going to get ignored so bad it's not even funny.

Obligatory

5eGyILG.gif

God, this was so hilariously awkward.

PEGGLE 2 THO! The first game was my crack for the longest time.

javac

As someone already said... what's the purpose of this? I don't think it's going to sell a $400 (forgot the actual price but something around that right?) machine, it's just a "fuck you" to everybody owning any other console and wanting to buy the game.

I would have bought the game after the first few PS4 titles launch, but if it gets delayed and comes during the second wave of games, it's just going to get ignored so bad it's not even funny.

If anything Microsoft want to make the other systems look as barren as possible.

braves01

Banned
I played the first one and nights sooo much. If it had a play clock, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was my most played last gen. I really hope EA hasn't turned the series into shit.

Rlan

Peggle 1 did stupid amount of numbers on Xbox 360, and continues to do so.

Based on my XBLA stat stuff, it was 1,062,779 players by end of 2012. It added 270,585 players in 2012, 290,000 in 2011.

Right now Peggle XBLA's at 1,212,511, which is 149,732 more players this year and we're not done with the year yet.

Now obviously Peggle was big on PC, just like Plants Vs. Zombies, but PopCap (and EA's) PC strategy has changed a LOT. Plants Vs. Zombies Adventures on Facebook, PvZ2 on iOS, etc etc.

Heck, even PopCap's lesser known "Hidden Object" games (which they release year after year) aren't on Steam OR Origin. PopCap's classics are on Origin, but they get little to no notice compared to the Battlefields and EA's AAA stuff.

And Peggle on iOS wasn't that great. Weird physics and a not-the-best control scheme. I would think Peggle might have even sold best on XBLA compared to other places, eventually.

snarge

Original game performed well on the 360 and made them money, so they're nabbing the sequel for a timed exclusive. Not sure how that doesn't make sense to people.

Why are people hating on MS for this? They're trying to get exclusives on their console that people want to buy just like any of the other consoles would. Blame Pop-Cap/EA for taking the money at the cost of their fans.

trying to remove multiplats from other platforms is more like it.

if they wanted exclusives on their console they should have invested in many more studios during the 360 lifecycle. now that the new consoles are here they're moneyhatting games and trying to throw cash at the problem. I don't expect many of the new studios that have been created in the last year to last very long.

your looking at another generation much like this with Xbox. they'll start strong in the games department but as the cycles ages only the big sellers will be given a chance. Halo, Gears, Forza

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Peggle 1 did stupid amount of numbers on Xbox 360, and continues to do so.

And Peggle on iOS wasn't that great. Weird physics and a not-the-best control scheme. I would think Peggle might have even sold best on XBLA compared to other places, eventually.

I was introduced to Peggle on XBLA. It was a pretty big deal. One of the best local mutiplayer games ever, Peggle Parties 4 life.

And yes, I agree that the iOS version is aggravating (iPhone specifically). Aiming is way too finicky.

EDIT - Zumba's Revenge is another semi-recent Xbox console exclusive from PopCap.

EDIT 2 - I totally just wrote 'Zumba' instead of Zuma lol.

Yeah...i have a friend who works at PopCap and they seem to be heavily favoring the XBone One. Last time I spoke to this person was after E3, and they mentioned they didn't have a PS4 dev kit yet.

I love Peggle. I still play it all the time trying to finish off all the challenges. I cant wait for Peggle 2. I wonder if we will get a free XBLA game on XB1 like how Hexic was free on 360.

Yes. I will buy the most expensive console with the worst gimmick ever just for one of the most casual game ever.

Microsoft stop buying everyone. This isnt good for your reputation.

Could actually be pretty fun with a more precise Kinect. Need to actually see the game, but this could end up being the stealth killer app akin to geometry wars.

Too much butthurt. Need more Peggle 2 details. Just going from the brief footage of new gameplay, though, I'm disappointed that they're not making the playfield wider to fit better with widescreen displays.

casmith07

Launching first on XBox One...so all those PS4s out there a month before XBox One will get hosed because of moneyhatting.

Good strategy, MS.

Top Bottom