• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn & Teller: Fool Us....how did the guy do this trick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogWelder

SteveWinwood said:
Someone tell me how this is done: http://youtu.be/-z4Tz12RB3k

I've seen variations but I still don't know :(

Also Craig Ferguson is awesome.
When he rips up Craig's bill he actually hands him the torn part of the bill that he had previously placed in the orange. This is why the code and the piece match perfectly with the bill he pulls out. He probably has torn bills for most of the Euro denominations on him and their respective counterparts in different oranges in that basket.

DogWelder said:
When he rips up Craig's bill he actually hands him the torn part of the bill that he had previously placed in the orange. This is why the code and the piece match perfectly with the bill he pulls out. He probably has torn bills for most of the Euro denominations on him and their respective counterparts in different oranges in that basket.
Oh shit.... How did I not notice that. I thought that Craig had it in his hand the whole time when I remembered it. That's why I was amazed... Stupid sleight of hand :mad:

Atrus

Gold Member
DogWelder said:
Many people, usually one or two per episode. Here's an excellent trick from the latest episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_LXa3dAbj4

You can definitely see the deck switch with the distraction of asking 'what card did you get!'

But how the hell did he get the cards in the sealed deck? There'd have to have been yet another switch when he's putting it in Penns hand but... not even Penn knew how that happened and he was watching that deck like a hawk after the first switch.

strasza

Neo Member
No Gob references? GAF, I am disappoint ( or too sleepy and missed it/them).

In other news, I'm impressed by the magic knowledge in here. I'm a failure at figuring these things out. :/

strasza said:

In other news, I'm impressed by the magic knowledge in here. I'm a failure at figuring these things out. :/
8 posts above you. Seriously though, watch his opener. It's totally Gob. I can see Gob doing a boring and complicated crappy trick like that too.

saunderez

Korey said:
So nobody other than the magician knows to this day how he did it?
Not that particular method. Though I do wonder if the "adjudicators" are told how the trick works so they can confirm or deny whether Penn and Tellers guess was close enough.

Takao

Banned
GavinGT said:
How was the guy already wearing a mic when Penn allegedly picked him on the spot?

There are overhead mics yo, as well, while the trick itself may not be staged it isn't odd for shows like this to have takes.

saunderez

Takao said:
There are overhead mics yo, as well, while the trick itself may not be staged it isn't odd for shows like this to have takes.
Yeah there's definitely editing involved to make the presentation more seamless.

Korey

GavinGT said:
How was the guy already wearing a mic when Penn allegedly picked him on the spot?
They cut inbetween the spot when the guy is chosen and they go on stage. The producers have the volunteer fitted with a mic.

saunderez said:
It wasn't mind reading, but it was suggestion. Penn indicated that the the magician's "pantomime" made the word jump into the marks mind. This was done through phrasing and the hand gestures. We couldn't see the gestures from the marks point of view so the word didn't jump into our mind.

Derren Brown uses a similar technique to make you think of a card in this video. This is overly obvious but it is an example of how it's done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0soGZpODgPY

He's the master at this type of magic, love his work.

I wouldn't be a good person for the magician to grab. I had the ace of spades.

saunderez

SlipperySlope said:
I wouldn't be a good person for the magician to grab. I had the ace of spades.
Most of this stuff doesn't work on me either. I wish it would but my mind won't let it! I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not able to be hypnotised either.

strasza

Neo Member
parrotbeak said:
8 posts above you. Seriously though, watch his opener. It's totally Gob. I can see Gob doing a boring and complicated crappy trick like that too.
I knew it must be the exhaustion! GAF usually doesn't let me down. ;)

strasza said:

Don't feel too bad, Penn and Teller are professionals, and have zero idea of how this trick works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N78YnarbVEA

Also, if you get the chance to see them in Vegas live, do it. Well worth the price of admission. They treat you like adults, and still amaze you.

Korey

saunderez said:
It wasn't mind reading, but it was suggestion. Penn indicated that the the magician's "pantomime" made the word jump into the marks mind. This was done through phrasing and the hand gestures. We couldn't see the gestures from the marks point of view so the word didn't jump into our mind.

Derren Brown uses a similar technique to make you think of a card in this video. This is overly obvious but it is an example of how it's done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0soGZpODgPY

He's the master at this type of magic, love his work.
saunderez said:
Most of this stuff doesn't work on me either. I wish it would but my mind won't let it! I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not able to be hypnotised either.
He definitely had it written in his palm. He guilted the audience member to use the word. When asked about it by Penn, you could tell he wanted to say something but didn't. "Was he very persuasive?" "Yes...you could say that."

Notice through the entire thing, he has his left hand fingers cupped so you can't see it.

Found this picture on another forum: http://www.idyemyhair.com/images/misc/hand.jpg

Sharp

Marty Chinn said:
Easy, ever see shows like Cirque du Solei?
Educate us, since you appear to be the only person in this thread who knows how this incredibly easy trick is done.

Trurl

Banned
ConfusingJazz said:
Don't feel too bad, Penn and Teller are professionals, and have zero idea of how this trick works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N78YnarbVEA

Also, if you get the chance to see them in Vegas live, do it. Well worth the price of admission. They treat you like adults, and still amaze you.
The only thing I can think of is that the four "random" people are actors. I hope that isn't it and they certainly seem like legitimate audience members.

saunderez

Trurl said:
The only thing I can think of is that the four "random" people are actors. I hope that isn't it and they certainly seem like legitimate audience members.
They say the the start of the show no plants or stooges are used. As far as I'm concerned using a plant is cheating anyway.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That French trio act was beautiful.

Marty Chinn said:
Easy, ever see shows like Cirque du Solei?
This being mostly a pole act was what I thought too, but that's anything but easy. Requires unbelievable athleticism and smooth coordination. They made quite a show and knew how to cleverly hide the way it's done too, as the volume of the cube doesn't appear to be enough, and the way it moves doesn't always look 'human'.

I'd say that sort of thing (as well as sleight of hand etc) is the only non-easy thing about magic performances, as it requires actual skill and not just some machinery or having people in on the act.

Lord Error said:
That French trio act was beautiful.

This being mostly a pole act was what I thought too, but that's anything but easy. Requires unbelievable athleticism and smooth coordination. They made quite a show and knew how to cleverly hide the way it's done too, as the volume of the cube doesn't appear to be enough, and the way it moves doesn't always look 'human'.

I'd say that sort of thing (as well as sleight of hand etc) is the only non-easy thing about magic performances, as it requires actual skill and not just some machinery or having people in on the act.

Not easy to do for sure, but certainly easy to figure it out. It wasn't really a trick to me since it was pretty obvious is all.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mathieu Bich (who them in a pretty showmanship kind of way too) was really great stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpthjI1z2FM

Marty Chinn said:
Not easy to do for sure, but certainly easy to figure it out. It wasn't really a trick to me since it was pretty obvious is all.
Actually, to be honest, it's probably a combination of mirrors she could be moving around herself (like someone suggested earlier in the thread) and the pole act, which makes it that much more impressive with how seamless and undetectable it all is, even when you think you know how they do it. I really find it hard to believe that she could have been completely enclosed in that box the whole time. Also, the pole doesn't even seem to move or sway even a bit. I guess it could be some really firmly fixed steel pole.

elfinke

Glorious thread. Looks like a great show.

The French trick was not just a good trick, it was a beautiful presentation with a sound track that reminded me of an indie game... Machinarium-like almost perhaps?

Great stuff.

Shawsie64

Banned
haha

Trying to work it out myself now. Could it be the envelope looks like a brick in my top pocket? Holding my hands like a brick? Or the fact I look like I'm bricking myself ... it's a thinker! :D Just hoping you enjoyed it!

colinmcleodbsc 1 week ago 3

Forkball

Wow the new deck trick was amazing. It's pretty impressive how easily Penn and Teller can dissect and reveal the tricks, I guess that's why they're the best in the biz.

Also WTF, why isn't this show in America? Instead we get a million housewives shows.

jett

D-Member
This is a fantastic show, been watching since the beginning. Michael Vincent is definitely one of my favorites.

DogWelder said:
There seems to be a clunker of a "trick" every episode. The one in the OP is probably the second worst on the show thus far. This is by far the worst:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDmau0mRoWk
God, what a tool. I mean, I guess he pretty much just acts like a magician should with the flamboyant personality and all, but I think I'd tone it down if I was going to be on the Penn and Teller show. If you had actually fooled them it would have been cool, but when don't the whole "Ask yourselves..." closing line just makes him look like a jackass. The whole "none of the numbers in the bowl are in the audience" thing is really easy to see through too.

I really hope that this show is released on DVD in America at some point. I really, really like it, and I'd love to own it.

Trurl said:
I'd guess the trick is based on social pressure, most people would be unwilling to spoil the trick and so each person reads "their" tables message, each letter has all 3 messages, possibly just asking them to state their name (hence why the trick can "go wrong" as the magician says), the real trick is matching food to tables.

Matching food to tables means there are 9 possibilities, the magician produces 9 sets of cards and produces the correct set only after this decision is final (the choice to swap them is made before the cards are produced). All other choices are irrelevant, swapping the envelopes does nothing as they are identical, nor does moving the men between tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom