• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade 11/30/2007 Jeff Gerstmann fired from Gamespot, allegedly for K&L review

Status
Not open for further replies.
so really how can anyone trust any GS reviews now?

credibility lost no point in posting reviews, time to send them to the same Hell gamepro and Play magazine live in.

D3MO

Banned
fortified_concept said:
It's funny everyone is so surprised. I guess all these "stupid conspiracy theories" are turning out to be true, huh?

I fucking called it.

But no...we live in a perfect world...there is no bribing, the government loves you, 9/11 was caused by some arabs w/ plastic knives, etc. et.c

sp0rsk said:
You really are insane.

it's a fucking amazing game. if mgs titles used this engine, they might be worth playing for something other than their wacky jappy stories. assassin's creed is the most fun i've had with a big budget title in eons.

D3MO

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
so really how can anyone trust any GS reviews now?

credibility lost no point in posting reviews, time to send them to the same Hell gamepro and Play magazine live in.

GameRankings should not include GS reviews anymore in their overall average.

Send these fucks a fucking message.

Chumly said:
Its gone did someone save it? Gamefuckers already took it down.

NVM theres a secret link still

I watched it from the link above. I saved it to my Real Player, for what it's worth as a momento of the day gaming journalism got shot in the head and tossed in the ravine.

usea

IronicallyTwisted said:
That better not be the account they use for reviews, because according to that THEY NEVER FINISHED MASS EFFECT.
It's not that uncommon for reviewers to not finish a game. But I don't think checking a gamerscore like that is necessarily indicative of a reviewer's progress.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Drinky Crow said:
gaf celebrity drinky crow condemns cnet and eidos for this bullshit, and pours one out for jeff gerstmann (even if he did overrate zelda tp and r&cf).

also, assassin's creed is fuck amazing, possible goty candidate
Drinky Crow said:
it's a fucking amazing game. if mgs titles used this engine, they might be worth playing for something other than their wacky jappy stories. assassin's creed is the most fun i've had with a big budget title in eons.

Oh man I missed you the most, you liddle cuddly thing, you.

Slavik81 said:
Is that Gurren Lagann?

No, it's Crushdann.

codecgaf.gif
+
85xglkz.png
=
gaffancrushdann-s.png

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Finally catching up to all this. This is pretty big and I hope something gets seriously done about it.

If you have been going to large gaming websites for years and did not understand that dollars influence content, you have your head in a wonderful cloud I wish I could have been part of. Welcome to your first business lesson: If you cause your company to lose money, you get fired.

kay

Kbsmoker said:
oh i was trying to download it.

They must have taken that down.

It got some messed up url now.
http://www.gamespot.comhttp//www.ga...&id=6182850&mode=exclusive&tag=promo;download
They did take the download (and links to the review) down but the stream is hosted on akamai and they probably missed it.

It was actually taken down on the 19th apparently http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/act...how_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-39650822&pid=934403

looks like they waited a while.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
painey said:
The state of reviews is already pretty sketchy due to advertising and promotions.. how can I trust a games site giving Halo 3 10/10 when the publisher has just sent them $800 worth of goods? How can I trust a games site giving positive previews and reviews to console specific games, only for the employees to go on and work for the company the games are for, etc, etc. There needs to be lines drawn that advertising and promotions doesn't entitle you to anything extra, else reviews are just down to who's being paid how much by whom.

Thank you. My thoughts exactly.

No one batted an eyelash (except for one guy IIRC) about that Halo 3 bag of swag, and a lot of sites celebrated it. Who really didn't see this coming for a while now? Especially when, 95% of time, the publishers are in complete control of the content allowed on these sites?

Hello?

:lol You guys know you can't actually ban Gamespot. They get too many exclusives and it'd lead to way too many ********'s on this forum. This isn't like SP@NG where ignoring it will make it eventually go away.

Also, Jeff didn't write the Ratchet review. Even I remembered that.

Anth

Christ. GS am doomed? I see a mass exodus of subscribers and a large part of the regular visitors staying away. They will need to fire more than one guy and seriously downsize or rebrand the whole thing.

The name Gamespot officially means shit now.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
WasabiKing said:
if we were into banning garbage sites y'all would have never seen the Penny Arcade strip to begin with.
As long as we have VG Cats it's okay.

D3MO said:
I fucking called it.

But no...we live in a perfect world...there is no bribing, the government loves you, 9/11 was caused by some arabs w/ plastic knives, etc. et.c
what the hell are you talking about

WrikaWrek

Banned
WasabiKing said:
if we were into banning garbage sites y'all would have never seen the Penny Arcade strip to begin with.

That's bs.

And does that mean no ban on cnet and gamespot? That's bs too.

It's the chockehold people.

adg1034

WasabiKing said:

Oh hey now. This goes way beyond "level of discourse". You know that.

fallout

Drinky Crow said:
gaf celebrity drinky crow condemns cnet and eidos for this bullshit, and pours one out for jeff gerstmann (even if he did overrate zelda tp and r&cf).

also, assassin's creed is fuck amazing, possible goty candidate
catdance.gif

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
WasabiKing said:

Holy shit, guess there IS something good about you, afterall!

WasabiKing said:
I think what people are saying here is that sites like Joy pick and such are banned for lesser things, while something like this is much worse. *shrug*

Like you guys say though: "This isn't a democracy!" /ban

Touchdown

Banned
disappeared said:
I'm reserving commentary until some confirmation and/or clarification on the matter is made.

...and I'll reserve commentary until after I graduate from Junior status just to be on the safe side.

*Paranoid and anxious, clicks the submit reply button at the same time looking over shoulder for those wily GAF veteran snipers.*

Well GS reviews aren't reliable any longer......

And the rumours that Gamespot is biased and was giving favorable reviews to 360 games is in serious question now.

D3MO said:
I fucking called it.

Pretty much. People should have realized Gamespot reviews are being tampered after the FIFA/PES reviews and the unusually low PS3 reviews lately. But no if you say something you're a conspiracy theorist, sonybot, EA hater etc.

Scotch

I really feel for the other Gamespot staff right now. It's obviously not their fault, but they will have to deal with this mess. Frankly, I hope they get hired by IGN and 1UP (especially Gerstmann, Navarro and Ryan Davis), and Gamespot.com continues its path into irrelevancy.

Also, I was thinking about buying Hitman: Blood Money from Steam today. Needless to say, I won't.

D3MO

Banned
NomarTyme said:

owned...I had no clue CNET owned Metacritic and Gamerankings...wouldn't be surprised if they owned GameFa...nevermind they own them too....WHAT THE FUCK?

AGFlamey

Zzoram said:
sorry to be a noob, but who are you?

http://www.angry-gamer.net

Now all of this has got me thinking. We run ads from (mostly indie / low-budget) publishers and developers on our site. They make like next to no money (which just goes back into the server bills) and are generally more trouble than they're worth. We haven't got to a point yet where a publisher will pull their ads because we said something bad about them, but all of this has made me think that it might happen one day as we grow into a bigger site and more commercially-orientated publishers take notice of us.

From the wacky idea department - should we just get rid of all our ads altogether, and make up t-shirts to fund the site? Homestar Runner does this. They also have 40million times our traffic, but still :)

Thoughts? Maybe it's time to completely rethink how a gaming site "should" work.

beef3483

typhonsentra said:
:lol You guys know you can't actually ban Gamespot. They get too many exclusives and it'd lead to way too many ********'s on this forum. This isn't like SP@NG where ignoring it will make it eventually go away.

They could ban reviews, just not the other content.

D3MO

Banned
typhonsentra said:

They won't get many exclusives if nobody goes to their fucking site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom