• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade on the US PS3 launch

Kabouter

20061117.jpg

It was good news there for a little while, when PS1 games were five bucks a pop and you were changin' out that hard drive and still retaining your warranty - big, generous moves that asked hard questions of their primary competitor. Just days later, it's weird rumor after dark rumbling after grim report.

The cruelest speculation is that the launch figure is something like half of what was promised - 150,000 to 200,000 units, says one analyst. I am not an analyst, but when I scour the launch list for a reason to wait outside for days in a ****ing line, no klaxons sound and no lights begin to blink or flash. Motorstorm and Lair - the games that really sold people the system at this year's Tokyo Game Show - are nowhere to be seen. There are, of course, those distant ultrabrands - the ones that start with Metal and Final - but buying a system at today's prices, under today's conditions is on that basis is... unwise. Unwise is the diplomatic word I have chosen.

The launch is full of... Well, Launch Titles. It sounds like Insomniac did what Insomniac does - deliver spit-polished hits. Past that, you've got Genji (rank), Untold Legends (just... no) and Gundam (daemonic). Everything else is something that

(a) already came out, and

(b) most likely runs better or has more features on existing equipment. Seriously, read the reviews.

This is beyond insulting. This is beyond ridiculous. It is farcical.

With the Playstation 2, we ascribed the spotty launch supply to monstrous intent. We were young men, though, and young men often feel the weight of unaccountable oppressors bearing down on them. Speaking today, it seems clear to me that Sony would not want to launch under these conditions if they had any choice in the matter. Not with this anemic supply, now reaped by speculators. Not with these titles. But they have done it, singing all the while, making a stupid pageant of the whole affair with their petty sniping. Well, you have not succeeded, not at anything laudable. You've kept young people in out in the elements for days through your ineptitude, this is true, but that is worth negapoints - a reverse scoring method exclusively for jackasses that starts at zero, and actually goes down from there.

(CW)TB out.

Pretty funny strip. Overreaction total in the news post.

Make no mistake, I am not a fan of this launch. I adored my PS2 - still do - and I don't know if I'll ever buy its successor. But hey, if people want to wait in the rain for days for a $600 console with mediocre game offerings (or, alternatively, pay thousands of dollars for someone to do that waiting for them)...a console they MAY get after all that waiting...a console that MIGHT break down in less than six months if Sony's hardware history holds true...more power to 'em, and that doesn't have much to do with Sony. Blame the retailers, blame the scalpers...but if anything, props to Sony for managing to fuel a sell-out launch on the strength of their name alone. I guess you could blame Sony for not producing them quickly enough...but that's just kinda dumb, in my opinion. Of course they'd love to produce more if they could...and if anything, it's even more impressive that people are still doing their damnedest to get one.

Anyway, something tells me this will be one of the few locked Penny Arcade threads. Pretty volatile stuff from Tycho, there.

Baryn

Banned
All he said is that it's a bad launch, and Sony should feel bad. I don't think anyone can argue with that. Should he have said it in PR speak?

Bizarro Tycho said:
This is a less than optimal launch for Sony, and a quick turnover recovery from there is something they will have to work on.

Zaptruder

Banned
... In light of comments like this, I'm rather glad australia is getting a march launch... by then, the trifecta of killer hyped apps (Resistance, Motorstorm and Heavenly Sword) will be out along with padding of quite a few more decent games.

More BD movies will have started rolling out, the open beta testing of the XMB will have yielded a few improvements, and supplies should be much more steady by then.

That and it'll give me time to enjoy the Wii and the good X360 games coming out.

Lobster

Banned
Zaptruder said:
... In light of comments like this, I'm rather glad australia is getting a march launch... by then, the trifecta of killer hyped apps (Resistance, Motorstorm and Heavenly Sword) will be out along with padding of quite a few more decent games.

More BD movies will have started rolling out, the open beta testing of the XMB will have yielded a few improvements, and supplies should be much more steady by then.

That and it'll give me time to enjoy the Wii and the good X360 games coming out.

Do you think we'll even get the 2007 titles? Im seriously doubting it and that we'll only see the US launch titles for like..a month.

Jake.

Zaptruder said:

you're glad we get the system 4 months later? i'm not getting one either way, but i doubt we'll be getting many more games by then.

Burger

Eric WK said:
The text may be a little harsh, but the strip is pretty funny.

Harsh ? To who ? SONY CORP ?

Come on, when one of the world largest companies overreaches so far, and falls so short, it's comical. The PS3 'launched' in Hong Kong with.... 200 units.

It really is a little pathetic.

The only thing that would make it more comical is if Sony criticized how a Worldwide Launch should be done when MS launched their unit.

That'd be pretty ironic..

In one great comic strip penny have made my wait till march all the more easy hehehe. Yep let the usa and japan beta test the machine then launch it here with better software as i sit at home in the uk nice and warm with a pile of 360 aaa titles and a wii:lol

Terrell

Scalemail Ted said:
The only thing that would make it more comical is if Sony criticized how a Worldwide Launch should be done when MS launched their unit.

That'd be pretty ironic..
I see what you did there... :lol

commissar

BlindN-Fan said:
Do you think we'll even get the 2007 titles? Im seriously doubting it and that we'll only see the US launch titles for like..a month.
It's actually pretty feasible - look at Resistance - all of the localisation data is on the one disc, so they only need to do one pressing. As the PS3 is regionless it's merely a matter of boxart and passing through the ratings systems. Which can be done before the game is actually completed.

Zabojnik

Hi, I'm from Europe. I like Sony. I'm glad we'll be getting the system in march. Or may. Really, REALLY glad. Like, really.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Are we sure they aren't getting paid by Microsoft? Cause that comic sure does look like an advertisement!

sp0rsk said:
Are we sure they aren't getting paid by Microsoft? Cause that comic sure does look like an advertisement!
Paid or not, they're clearly biased, and should not be considered a valid gaming website for editiorial content.

:lol :lol :lol

yeah i think i'll wait till the good games are out too...

to bad the guys had a 360 in the second panel, maybe if they had something non-videogamish, the SDF would find it funny...

sp0rsk said:

? Considering that they've done commission stuff for MS, I'd say that answer is yes, we are certain that they are getting paid by Microsoft.

Doesn't really mean much.

Mato

The first panel is Batman. In the second panel, Batman Returns. Then the third one, Batman Forever.

No it isn't, I just noticed the guys carrying the Xbox. I don't get your comparison either.

maxmars

Zabojnik said:
Hi, I'm from Europe. I like Sony. I'm glad we'll be getting the system in march. Or may. Really, REALLY glad. Like, really.

More like september if the PSP is an indication. :lol
On the bright side, there will be more titles to choose from. I wouldn't have waited in line anyway.

Variable

Mato said:
Could someone explain the strip, I don't get it.

Why bother getting a PS3, when there is Xbox 360 which is cheaper with better software out right now. That is what the comic is getting at.

Variable said:
Why bother getting a PS3, when there is Xbox 360 which is cheaper with better software out right now. That is what the comic is getting at.

More like people are idiots for waiting in line for three days in shitty weather and Sony are jerks for asking people to do so.

Ashodin

AniHawk said:
The first panel is Batman. In the second panel, Batman Returns. Then the third one, Batman Forever.
more like the last one batman begins. stupid nolan nerds out in the rain!

ZeoVGM

Banned
AniHawk said:

So is the unseen fourth panel where they get their PS3 home and play it for the first time Batman & Robin?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Mato said:
Could someone explain the strip, I don't get it.

I'm blown away that someone would have a hard time "getting" this cartoon.

And personally, neither the 360 on launch or the PS3 on launch appear to be an item that is worth camping out for - or pre-ordering for that matter. For me at least. Nothing is compelling enough to own either on launch day.

teiresias

I'd be impressed if they did a similar strip at the X360 launch using a PS2 in the middle panel. Did they? I somewhat doubt it.

Terrell

teiresias said:
I'd be impressed if they did a similar strip at the X360 launch using a PS2 in the middle panel. Did they? I somewhat doubt it.
I remember a strip where they got held up at gunpoint for a 360.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Dr_Cogent said:
And personally, neither the 360 on launch or the PS3 on launch appear to be an item that is worth camping out for - or pre-ordering for that matter. For me at least. Nothing is compelling enough to own either on launch day.
needs repeating.

Koomaster

echoshifting said:
Pretty funny strip. Overreaction total in the news post.

Make no mistake, I am not a fan of this launch. I adored my PS2 - still do - and I don't know if I'll ever buy its successor. But hey, if people want to wait in the rain for days for a $600 console with mediocre game offerings (or, alternatively, pay thousands of dollars for someone to do that waiting for them)...a console they MAY get after all that waiting...a console that MIGHT break down in less than six months if Sony's hardware history holds true...more power to 'em, and that doesn't have much to do with Sony. Blame the retailers, blame the scalpers...but if anything, props to Sony for managing to fuel a sell-out launch on the strength of their name alone. I guess you could blame Sony for not producing them quickly enough...but that's just kinda dumb, in my opinion. Of course they'd love to produce more if they could...and if anything, it's even more impressive that people are still doing their damnedest to get one.

Anyway, something tells me this will be one of the few locked Penny Arcade threads. Pretty volatile stuff from Tycho, there.
I think the sell-out had more to do with...

1. Low Launch Numbers
2. People learning from the 360 launch that ebay = profit

Call me crazy, but neither of those has anything to do with the name "Playstation" or "Sony". So you can't infer that the sell out is on name alone.

What they could have done is not rushed to launch, especially when all the short supply problems cropped up. PS3 should have been an '07 release with an adequet supply. Although hey, full sell out, mania, people trampling each other to get one is great press right?

Top Bottom