• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade on the US PS3 launch

shpankey

not an idiot
charlequin said:

who could ever forget...

20020325h.gif

or these...

20011128h.gif

20010801h.gif

20060407.jpg

..hilarious. also, funny how all the sony fanboys found them so funny, but now they're "msft moneyhats" which ironically, is something PA coined when making fun of msft...

20001023h.jpg

Mojovonio

Banned
I really think that anyone who claims a news outlet or developer has been moneyhatted or bias needs to back up their claim. If not, it should be bannable.

Vangellis

SolidSnakex said:
If people are willing to throw out 2k i'd say the demand is pretty high. Sony got alot of free advertisement yesterday from major news channels basically doing on hour updates of how hard it is to get one while showing the people that have been lined up to get oen for days. It basically sends a message of how big the product is without Sony really having to do anything on the marketing side.

Or it just shows how stupid people can be imo.

shpankey said:
who could ever forget...

20020325h.gif

or these...

20011128h.gif

20010801h.gif

..hilarious. also, funny how all the sony fanboys found them so funny, but now they're "msft moneyhats" which ironically, is something PA coined when making fun of msft.

I still find them funny, but they wear their pro-MS bias on their sleeve. MS starting having them over and they started putting out a lot of stuff that sounded like MS press releases filtered through Tycho's odd writing style. They've always been very pro-PC gaming, so the slant isn't necessarly manufactured, but it's clear to me that they get goodies and attention form MS and it shows in their content.

shpankey

not an idiot
typhonsentra said:
They never questioned someone trying to get a 360 during it's launch, that's kinda the point here.
so you're saying they have to do everything exactly the same, to everyone? or they're biased?

i just find this whole thread kind of like how everyone loves South Park, until they make fun of something they believe in, or how everyone loves Jim Rome's sarcasm, until he makes fun of one of their kind.

Marlowe

To all those still in grammar school or high school making the "Penny Arcade is biased" arguments: please study harder.

To all those with college degrees making the "Penny Arcade is biased" arguments: please demand a refund from your alma maters. They have done you a disservice.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
antiloop said:
Reminds me of the PS2 launch.
I don't get quotes like these. I waited in line from 4pm the day before for a ps2, and it still wasn't as bad as this. 4pm but people still got to line by 6am that morning and got a system. that best buy handed out 150 PS2s that day... today how many did that same best buy hand out? not even 40 total between both systems.

this was nothing like the ps2 launch.. and anyone who says it was didn't participate in the ps2 launch anymore beyond reading about it (in a history book).

typhonsentra said:
They never questioned someone trying to get a 360 during it's launch, that's kinda the point here.

Yea, I want them to do the same ****ing jokes over and over again.

How come you aren't complaining that they have a strip about Halo being dull and repetitive, but no matching strip for Resistance?

How about the strip where they straight-up call 360 shit and then paint Peter Moore as a fake PR shill?

How about the irony of you calling anyone biased? It's ****ing laughable.

Marlowe said:
To all those still in grammar school or high school making the "Penny Arcade is biased" arguments: please study harder.

To all those with college degrees making the "Penny Arcade is biased" arguments: please demand a refund from your alma maters. They have done you a disservice.

Huh? They've come out and stated that they are lukewarm on Sony and its big franchises, particularly Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid. They've *stated* this. That's a bias. And today's strip is practically an Xbox360 commercial.

It's kind of hard to argue they aren't biased when they've claimed it (and explained why). I think the only question is whether they're influenced by perks from MS. I think so, but that's just a hunch based on timing and the nature of their pro-MS stance.

Example: After the MTV special they were in damage control mode about the showing. They generally been pro-360. OTOH, they criticize the PS3 launch for things they never critcized the 360 launch for.

I like Penny-arcade. I enjoy the art and humor, and I have a huge amount of respect for the business they've built, and I give to Child's Play generously every year. But I can see the bias. It doesn't make them bad or anything, it just means I filter their opinions thought that understanding. And stips like today's are lame, but they're the exception.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
Huh? They've come out and stated that they are lukewarm on Sony and its big franchises, particularly Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid. They've *stated* this. That's a bias. And today's strip is practically an Xbox360 commercial.

I don't agree. I call that an opinion, not a bias.

Just because you do not "prefer" something doesn't mean you are biased. Bias indicates some level of prejudice.

shpankey said:
i just find this whole thread kind of like how everyone loves South Park, until they make fun of something they believe in, or how everyone loves Jim Rome's sarcasm, until he makes fun of one of their kind.

Exactly.

AdmiralViscen said:
Yea, I want them to do the same ****ing jokes over and over again.

How come you aren't complaining that they have a strip about Halo being dull and repetitive, but no matching strip for Resistance?

How about the strip where they straight-up call 360 shit and then paint Peter Moore as a fake PR shill?

How about the irony of you calling anyone biased? It's ****ing laughable.
They didn't call the 360 shit you blind dipshit. They said the journalist from EGM/Ziff Davis did (Which isn't too far off from what happened.). They were first in line to play Perfect Dark Zero on day one. They hated the game but I don't recollect them ever regretting the purchase.

shpankey said:
winner.

Ignatz Mouse said:

It's kind of hard to argue they aren't biased when they've claimed it (and explained why). I think the only question is whether they're influenced by perks from MS. I think so, but that's just a hunch based on timing and the nature of their pro-MS stance.

Example: After the MTV special they were in damage control mode about the showing. They generally been pro-360. OTOH, they criticize the PS3 launch for things they never critcized the 360 launch for.

I like Penny-arcade. I enjoy the art and humor, and I have a huge amount of respect for the business they've built, and I give to Child's Play generously every year. But I can see the bias. It doesn't make them bad or anything, it just means I filter their opinions thought that understanding. And stips like today's are lame, but they're the exception.
liking one thing more than another doesn't make you biased. any rational look at two things that aren't identical is going to more often than not favour one over the other (though different rational people with different likes and dislikes will offer differ in opinion on which is superior).

it's not a bias to say 'i'm not a big fan of game x'.

what would be a bias, would be if their feelings towards anyone company effected their judgement of other things, for example, the games on those systems.

bias isn't preferring one thing over another, it's preferring one thing over another based on prejudisms.

p2535748

typhonsentra said:
They didn't call the 360 shit you blind dipshit. They said the journalist from EGM/Ziff Davis did (Which isn't too far off from what happened.). They were first in line to play Perfect Dark Zero on day one. They hated the game but I don't recollect them ever regretting the purchase.

Did you read what you just wrote? "They hated the game, but I don't recollect them ever regretting the purchase." So, because they didn't actually say the words "PDZ isn't worth buying", they don't regret buying it? I think if you say a game is only worth playing during a blackout, it's pretty clear how you feel about your purchase.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
this forum is very quick to try and point out bias when something they like is under attack. this week for example, it has been pointed out that I am biased against the PS3. Never have I said anything but good things about the system itself or its games.. but because I am fed up with how sony handled this launch and am excited for my Wii, I am an ntard fanoby with bias against the PS3... kind of sucks, but you just deal with it if you want to participate in the gaming side of this forum.

shpankey

not an idiot
Ignatz Mouse said:
Huh? They've come out and stated that they are lukewarm on Sony and its big franchises, particularly Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid. They've *stated* this. That's a bias.
wow, just... WOW.

jaypah

shpankey said:
so you're saying they have to do everything exactly the same, to everyone? or they're biased?

dude, it's always the same. Sony fans will act as if the world somehow revolves around Xbox (as far as the media is concerned). the "high and mighty" sense in them is crazy. they love to remind the Xbots of how many more PS2s were sold than Xboxes but act as if that doesn't add up to a LOT more Sony fanboys on message boards. Xbots=Nintards=the KKK (the KenKutaKlan). it's all retarded.

i understand everybody has a different feeling towards being a multi-console gamer. and a lot of it is the money issue. i'm rather poor right now but i still plan to have all of the systems by March. games keep me busy while i'm waiting to do more productive stuff, they keep me sane and most of all i just love them. watching game lovers spaz out for nothing was comical. now it's just kind of weird. they're games......just enjoy them. and if you cant afford the other systems, cool. but it doesn't mean you have to be a complete dick right? like what you have. especially if you are grown forum members. what the hell? i've seen adults here break down the most technical shit but still throw a stealth troll in there. c'mon.

well, my soap-box is starting to cave in so i'll leave you with this....the strip was funny to me. even as someone who would gladly drop the 600 if i had it. i'd be a dumbass for doing it (in my opinion, just like i was retarded for dropping 400 for my 360 last year).
the difference is there's a console with killer games for 100 bucks cheaper now. that's fact, not opinion. they called it and some people are angry. :lol :lol :lol PLAY GAMES PEOPLE!

That's just is Doc-- I think they have prejudice beyond their opinions. There isn't really much else ot explain how they tried to paint the MTV 360 unveiling in a positive light and the PS3 consistently in a negative light.

As far as them calling Halo boring-- yes indeed. That was before they started getting trips to MS and inside info. What was the last really negive thing they did on MS outsider of making fun of their executives?

Penny arcade attacks everyone . . . they are not bias.

BUT WHO GIVES A F#$K IF THEY ARE BIASED?!? There is no law saying you can't be biased. Just shut up you whiners.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
That's just is Doc-- I think they have prejudice beyond their opinions. There isn't really much else ot explain how they tried to paint the MTV 360 unveiling in a positive light and the PS3 consistently in a negative light.

As far as them calling Halo boring-- yes indeed. That was before they started getting trips to MS and inside info. What was the last really negive thing they did on MS outsider of making fun of their executives?

Well, no one is going to know anything for sure because you can't read anyones mind. Sure, they could be biased. They might not be.

I find the comic to be true. I don't see the point in camping when so many good games are to be had on the 360 right now. Whats launching on the PS3 is ho-hum at best to me.

Does that make me biased though? I plan on buying a PS3 when the price drops. I find it too expensive and then that way - there will be platinum games I can pick up on the cheap when I finally do get the system.

I'll even get a Wii when Tetrisphere becomes available.

shpankey said:
wow, just... WOW.

Perhaps I did not explain the reference well enough. They admit an anti-Sony bias in one of their news posts and say that it's *because* they are lukewarm on the big-name Sony games. I'll have to dig it up later when I am not at work and can search their site. Once I am done with playing my PS3 for a while. :)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
(neutral) Ignatz Mouse
The Last Sane Sony Fan

Hmmm...at this rate, how long til the bolded part goes away? :D

What's slanted abot the comic (to me) the portrit of the fans as being miserable. I haven't seen anybody lined up that looks miserable. The unhappy people are the ones who gave up and are disappointed they aren't getting a PS3. People is line have been excited (or at least hopeful) about making money, where I have seen them.

That the text of the article makes cricisms of the PS3 launch that they never bothered to make about the 360 launch is icing.

shpankey

not an idiot
Ignatz Mouse said:
Perhaps I did not explain the reference well enough. They admit an anti-Sony bias in one of their news posts and say that it's *because* they are lukewarm on the big-name Sony games. I'll have to dig it up later when I am not at work and can search their site. Once I am done with playing my PS3 for a while. :)
the thing is with what you say is, what if they just genuinely like one thing and/or dislike another? are they to lie about their opinions just for the sake of people who read too much into things? i'm sorry i just don't understand this logic, and i mean no offense to you personally.

it's obvious their opinions change and sway, like the rest of us. they've made fun of everybody at one time or another. sony is just having a rough go right now, but rightly so... they've made themselves an easy target. i guarantee you, in the future, PA will come round to the PS3, especially when some more AAA games come out. it's only natural. the same thing happened with the Xbox 1 and PA. if there's one thing I've noticed about PA, is they are really game centric and can be won over easily when they play a few games they like on a system.

GhaleonEB

Ignatz Mouse said:
I still find them funny, but they wear their pro-MS bias on their sleeve. MS starting having them over and they started putting out a lot of stuff that sounded like MS press releases filtered through Tycho's odd writing style. They've always been very pro-PC gaming, so the slant isn't necessarly manufactured, but it's clear to me that they get goodies and attention form MS and it shows in their content.
Bullshit. They wear their pro-good-games agenda, and their opinions, on their sleeves. Just because Microsoft puts much more effort into community outreach than Sony and Nintendo does not mean PA are teh bias. They skew equally, and every camp cries out when they do.

20050316h.jpg

20050318h.jpg

Madden and Fight Night are best on PS3, activision games are updated, so I don't know, RR7 is great, Resistance is the best FPS out right now, Genji looks stunning, but you have to feel the magic to enjoy it. All in all the launch software is quite weak, but I could easily choose 5 games out of it that would last me until february, and then MOTORSTORM.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
What's slanted abot the comic (to me) the portrit of the fans as being miserable. I haven't seen anybody lined up that looks miserable. The unhappy people are the ones who gave up and are disappointed they aren't getting a PS3. People is line have been excited (or at least hopeful) about making money, where I have seen them.

That the text of the article makes cricisms of the PS3 launch that they never bothered to make about the 360 launch is icing.

Well, I for one wouldn't be smiling if I was camping in line and it was raining.

Also, it's a comic strip. The funny would be lost if they all had grins on their faces.

Gotta take it in context.

Ignatz Mouse said:

Honestly, I think it's more likely that your pro-Sony feelings are clouding your judgment here than that they're really biased because of Microsoft favors. I do think they're pro-Xbox now in pretty much the same way they used to be anti-Xbox, but for pretty straightforward reasons: the Xbox currently lines up best with their gaming tastes.

If you've read the strip for a long time and followed the newsposts, the evolution is pretty obvious. Gabe and Tycho have pretty much always been the most interested in teamwork-based competitive online gaming, as hundreds and hundreds of masturbatory posts about Tribes should indicate. Once Xbox Live was really seriously rolled out, they started going on and on about Splinter Cell this and Ace Combat that. Plus Microsoft ditched the beast controller for the Controller S.

Are there some instances of spin? Sure, trying to pass off the MTV special as anything but complete idiocy was pretty bad. In general, though, I don't see much of the kind of crap the *DFs put out on here, nor do I see much uncalled for bashing on anybody -- regardless of their leanings, they're clearly pretty dedicated gamers who will own and enjoy every system.

jaypah

Ynos Yrros said:
Madden and Fight Night are best on PS3, activision games are updated, so I don't know, RR7 is great, Resistance is the best FPS out right now, Genji looks stunning, but you have to feel the magic to enjoy it. All in all the launch software is quite weak, but I could easily choose 5 games out of it that would last me until february, and then MOTORSTORM.

some people don't like the in store demo but i've heard people who played a more robust version claim that it was the second coming. honestly? after the vids posted here of that particular game i decided to get a PS3 as soon as possible rather than waiting until this time next year. it looks to be the best racing game (graphics and fun factor....for ME) yet for next gen.

Arsenal

plagiarize said:
that's so stupid. why buy a system for a game that isn't out yet?

if he was buying at least one ps3 game, that'd be different... but he wasn't?

you wouldn't have to queue up, you wouldn't miss out on any games you wanted to play...

Answer: He was struggling to make up an answer because he just didn't want to admit that he was selling his on eBay.

That or he just didn't want to admit that he was buying a $600 system for Genji.

XiaNaphryz said:
Hmmm...at this rate, how long til the bolded part goes away? :D

C'mon. Let's give credit where credit is due. I think Ignatz is wrong in his opinion on this topic but he's still being totally sane and reasonable. Go compare to the Sonybot meltdown that got the Eurogamer Resistance review thread locked.

shpankey said:
it's obvious their opinions change and sway, like the rest of us. they've made fun of everybody at one time or another.

This is what I feel like people don't get. Look at the changes in PSP/DS opinions over time in PA strips. At launch, it was condescension and fun-making of the DS all the way, intercut with the strips about how awesome and sexy the PSP was (like the one where Gabe keeps bugging Tycho while he's playing Lumines). Later on Tycho pretty much admits that he gets tons of use out of his DS and not much out of his PSP. Did he get a sexy massage from Nintendo? No, he just changed his opinion.

It's the same stuff that I bullshit with my friends about. We don't try to stay impartial, we just make fun of stuff that's hilarious. We've probably given Sony a lot more crap about this launch than Microsoft because one was the monolithic market leader who talked smack a year ago and the other was the company who always looked a little incompetent going in. That doesn't make us Xbots, it just means we're people and we don't really care whether our mockery is evenly distributed.

p2535748 said:
Did you read what you just wrote? "They hated the game, but I don't recollect them ever regretting the purchase." So, because they didn't actually say the words "PDZ isn't worth buying", they don't regret buying it? I think if you say a game is only worth playing during a blackout, it's pretty clear how you feel about your purchase.
The purchase..... of the system. Happy now?

I may be wrong, I grant, but having read P-A all the way back fron just a year or two after it stared, it seemed a pretty abrupt pro-MS shift that was not just about the games. They tend to give MS mosr passes and they tend to be knee-jerk against Sony *until* a game comes along they like, and that wasn't always the case. Perhaps it's not based on favors, but instead that once they grew to like the Xbox they felt a need to champion it and rail a little more against Sony. But the shift in tone was apparaent.

As I said, I still really like the strip-- just that their opinions to me are suspect, particularly when it comes to Sony stuff. The source if it is not as important as the fact that they've become pretty predictable in the slant and I can expect their writings abotu Sony to be negative before I even read them, and I am always right.

Arsenal

Ignatz Mouse said:

They have strips making fun of Halo as well. They likely have strips making fun of every popular game and platform out there, because that is what they do for a living.

I enjoy the PA strips more than most other comics, and you know what, when they make fun of something that I like, I think its even more funny because it is something that I can directly relate to. People need to let up on the fanboy attitude and get a sense of humor about their hobbies.

Ynos Yrros said:

this thread must be laced with sarcasm cuz...
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3155330

The more burning question is, with the extra time since the beginning of the season, and the supposed power of the new hardware, is Madden 07 on the PS3 the best version this year?

In a word, no.

With the same mechanics, it comes down to visuals and it isn't even as close as you might think. From the first play it becomes clear that the presentation lacks the vibrancy of its cousin, and everything looks flat by comparison. Much of the blame lies in the lighting. It doesn't convey the same natural warmth and dynamic range from shadow to sunlight. This is particularly noticeable while playing games in Texas Stadium. On the 360, when you move from the shaded part of the field into the midafternoon sun flooding through the famous hole in the roof you can almost feel your eyes trying to adjust to the exposure. On the PS3 it looks more like it did on last-gen consoles: There's a lit area and a darker area, but no sense of the intensity between the two.

Nor do the graphics themselves hold up to a side-by-side comparison. The fields don't just look flat, they appear muddy. And there is a blurry, soft-focus effect -- almost like you're looking at the screen while trying to cross your eyes. It leaves the players looking rough from the point of view you play in. The camera swooping in for dramatic close-ups also doesn't do them any favors. Many of their faces just don't seem to have the same degree of detail, and similarly, exposed arms look awkwardly plain.

usea

Can't you guys get over the whole sdf, xbot, nintard thing? Hey wow, somebody likes X more than Y. Obviously that either means X has paid them money for that opinion or that they have some kind of agenda to forward right? Grow up.

Replying with "Welcome to GAF" would be pretty clever, too. I must be a genius to see it coming.

Top Bottom