• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade on the US PS3 launch

Nameless

Its like I've been saying all along, I just can't justify getting a PS3 right now. I'm sorry but $600 and all the ****in hassle is not worth Resistance, which is pretty much the only worthwhile game on the console. Especially as a 360 owner, theres just no reason to own a PS3 right now.

Now in March-April, thats a different story..

Mojovonio

Banned
Nameless said:
Its like I've been saying all along, I just can't justify getting a PS3 right now. I'm sorry but $600 and all the ****in hassle is not worth Resistance, which is pretty much the only worthwhile game on the console. Especially as a 360 owner, theres just no reason to own a PS3 right now.

Now in March-April, thats a different story..

like i've always said

chance of a $499 CAD price tag
better hardware revision
bigger lineup of games

That's when the PS3 launches for me.

Ignatz Mouse said:
Perhaps it's not based on favors, but instead that once they grew to like the Xbox they felt a need to champion it and rail a little more against Sony.

This is what I believe to be true, though I think it's much more in terms of defending Xbox-related news than attacking Sony (see below).

But the shift in tone was apparaent.

I didn't think it was abrupt, though. I remember seeing newspost bits about how much they were playing Splinter Cell or whatever quite a while before I saw any real reduction of bagging on the Xbox.

As I said, I still really like the strip-- just that their opinions to me are suspect, particularly when it comes to Sony stuff.

What about the PSP, though? They championed the PSP in exactly the same way as the US gaming media as a whole did when it was released and pretty much parroted the marketing points about sexiness, portable console, etc. They didn't really admit that their initial impression hadn't been borne out until the popular consensus had already shifted to favor the DS.

I think they've been pretty consistently negative about the PS3, but that really comes down to one thing: it's really easy to take the price personally. That E3 announcement pretty much guaranteed that I will not be a PS3 owner before 2009 and that fact alone made me less forgiving of some of Sony's mistakes in launching the PS3; that's pretty much been the gist of Tycho's criticism almost every time it comes up. That isn't the sole opinion of the console, but it's a pretty common one, and definitely one I'm not going to fault anyone for.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
charlequin said:
This is what I believe to be true, though I think it's much more in terms of defending Xbox-related news than attacking Sony (see below).

I didn't think it was abrupt, though. I remember seeing newspost bits about how much they were playing Splinter Cell or whatever quite a while before I saw any real reduction of bagging on the Xbox.

What about the PSP, though? They championed the PSP in exactly the same way as the US gaming media as a whole did when it was released and pretty much parroted the marketing points about sexiness, portable console, etc. They didn't really admit that their initial impression hadn't been borne out until the popular consensus had already shifted to favor the DS.

I think they've been pretty consistently negative about the PS3, but that really comes down to one thing: it's really easy to take the price personally. That E3 announcement pretty much guaranteed that I will not be a PS3 owner before 2009 and that fact alone made me less forgiving of some of Sony's mistakes in launching the PS3; that's pretty much been the gist of Tycho's criticism almost every time it comes up. That isn't the sole opinion of the console, but it's a pretty common one, and definitely one I'm not going to fault anyone for.

tiger.jpg

Objectivity is for ****ing morons who get off on giving shit like PD0 and Genji good scores. Scream bias all you want, but the only ones who care are the ones you shouldn't want to be associated with. It's fairly obvious that PA went from "not liking MS" to "liking MS". If you want to pretend that the only way that's humanly possible is to get money stuffed down your throat then that's your perogative.

And yea, it's also obvious that MS courted PA. But if you are honestly suggesting that ****ing comic strip authors should turn down perks on the basis of feigned objectivity, you are ****ing high.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
That strip was pretty funny, and spot-on whether you like it or not. I'm waiting until after Christmas to pick up a PS3, and eBay scalpers aside, you'd be nuts to kill yourself today over one.

Just one man's opinion.

Mojovonio

Banned
bishoptl said:
That strip was pretty funny, and spot-on whether you like it or not. I'm waiting until after Christmas to pick up a PS3, and eBay scalpers aside, you'd be nuts to kill yourself today over one.

Just one man's opinion.

please change your avatar.

Son of Godzilla said:
Objectivity is for ****ing morons who get off on giving shit like PD0 and Genji good scores. Scream bias all you want, but the only ones who care are the ones you shouldn't want to be associated with. It's fairly obvious that PA went from "not liking MS" to "liking MS". If you want to pretend that the only way that's humanly possible is to get money stuffed down your throat then that's your perogative.

And yea, it's also obvious that MS courted PA. But if you are honestly suggesting that ****ing comic strip authors should turn down perks on the basis of feigned objectivity, you are ****ing high.

Whoa, Godzilla. I'm not suggesting that they turn down anything. I'm suggesting that they have a bias. I never said that was some sort of sin-- I said that it colors my reaction to their opinions. Note up there where I said I enjoy the strip, respect them, and give to Child's Play every year. My wife wants to got to PAX for Christ's sake, and we might (and we do not live on the West Coast). What I *am* saying is that they aren't objective-- I am not saying they need to be. Everybody has opinions, I would especially expect opinions in a comic strip. I'm calling out the slant.

D2G

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
So you're not a gamer if you hate Sony? News to me.
Oh and people throwing around terms like "nerds, geeks, etc" over the internet on a videogame message board amuse me to no end.

if you hate a game company just because the game company you cheer for didnt manage to beat said game company you're not a gamer no

Mojovonio

Banned
Mato said:
You are no pretty boy either.

that's not the point, have you ever seen John Carpenter's The Prince of Darkness?

It scared the shit out of me when I was a kid, and for some reason, that avatar reminds me of it.

damn freaky kid.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
Whoa, Godzilla. I'm not suggesting that they turn down anything. I'm suggesting that they have a bias. I never said that was some sort of sin-- I said that it colors my reaction to their opinions. Note up there where I said I enjoy the strip, respect them, and give to Child's Play every year. My wife wants to got to PAX for Christ's sake, and we might (and we do not live on the West Coast). What I *am* saying is that they aren't objective-- I am not saying they need to be. Everybody has opinions, I would especially expect opinions in a comic strip. I'm calling out the slant.

OK, I'm curious Ignatz, do you think you have bias when it comes to any of this?

D2G

Banned
Baryn said:
Last year, it was snowing...
20051121hdd3.jpg

This year, raining?
20061117nm5.jpg

Global Warming confirmed!

wait so they make fun of people when they waited in line in even colder weather for a shittier system? i said wow

Triumph

Banned
Thanks guys, I needed that. I come into the gaming forum maybe once a year to remind myself how horrible it's gotten, then stay away for another year. You guys did the job excellently, and I am now dumber for having read this thread up until this point.

DJ Sl4m

Ignatz Mouse said:
THe criticism of the launch line-up-- which I'd say is accurate-- sounds
like it could equally apply to the 360 launch. Rank and file games,
games that are on other platforms already (and in some cases better) and one really solid FPS.

I'm not saying that that's the case today, but it's an odd parallel.

PS3's launch line up suffers from this much more than the 360's launch line up did.
Not just the amount of titles out on PC, but now the PS3 has titles also on PC and 360 which covers a bigger base of gamers.

Mato

Mojovonio said:
that's not the point, have you ever seen John Carpenter's The Prince of Darkness?

It scared the shit out of me when I was a kid, and for some reason, that avatar reminds me of it.

damn freaky kid.

Oh, I see. Well I had the exact same problem with the Excorcist, except I was about 15 when I first watched it. I slept with the tv on for almost a year afterwards - sometimes even with the lights on. Eventually I had to deal with my fear. I re-watched the movie some ten extra times. I rented SH2 and played it with the lights of, alone at night. It worked, and now I'm not afraid of anything, except I'm all dead inside.

shpankey

not an idiot
D2G said:
wait so they make fun of people when they waited in line in even colder weather for a shittier system? i said wow
*sigh*

somehow, this seems appropriate now...

20021213h.gif

...just scratch out the Tribes words.

Master Z

It's just the opinion of some guy who draws comics for the web, who cares? You bought a PS3 because you wanted to, not because of somebody's opinion, right? Who the **** cares what other people think.

D2G

Banned
Master Z said:
It's just the opinion of some guy who draws comics for the web, who cares? You bought a PS3 because you wanted to, not because of somebody's opinion, right? Who the **** cares what other people think.

sure but when the whole internet is against sony for some bs reason one can get a bit grumpy

"omg lets hate on sony because they're #1 and made gaming what it is today!"

wankers...

shpankey

not an idiot
D2G said:
sure but when the whole internet is against sony for some bs reason
:lol honestly... do you really believe this? c'mon man... that's crazy talk. they have a huge following of dedicated fans. this thread alone, this forum alone, easily proves that. i find myself a lot of times biting my tongue about Sony because of them, to be honest.

Dr_Cogent said:
OK, I'm curious Ignatz, do you think you have bias when it comes to any of this?

Of course I do.

I only have time to play so many games, so I overlook or ignore any number of great games in the process. My opinion of older games by some developers or on some systems is colored by my dated experience with other games by those developers or on those systems. I have an knee-jerk "ignore Ninteno games" stance, for instance, becuase it's been so long since I really enjoyed one and I disagreed with the typical fans when I did. I don't pretend to be unbaised, and I generally refrain from talking about systems and games I haven't played because my opinion is ignorant. If I had a regular strip about the gaming world in general, my bias would be quite apparent.

I'd be suspicious of anybody claiming they don't have a bias, unless they simply weren't a gamer, but an analyst. (Which makes all those "Merril Lynch is BIASED!" comments all the funnier to me. Wrong due to their typical methods, maybe, but hardly biased.)

St_G

Yeah, it clearly takes payoffs and irrational personal bias to look at the current offerings and come to the conclusion that, today, the purchase of a 360 is a better choice.

jaypah

Ignatz Mouse said:
Of course I do.

I only have time to play so many games, so I overlook or ignore any number of great games in the process. My opinion of older games by some developers or on some systems is colored by my dated experience with other games by those developers or on those systems. I have an knee-jerk "ignore Ninteno games" stance, for instance, becuase it's been so long since I really enjoyed one and I disagreed with the typical fans when I did. I don't pretend to be unbaised, and I generally refrain from talking about systems and games I haven't played because my opinion is ignorant. If I had a regular strip about the gaming world in general, my bias would be quite apparent.

I'd be suspicious of anybody claiming they don't have a bias, unless they simply weren't a gamer, but an analyst. (Which makes all those "Merril Lynch is BIASED!" comments all the funnier to me. Wrong due to their typical methods, maybe, but hardly biased.)

but to me that's the IDEAL gamer....what if you just enjoy the video games as a medium? do you really think that there's not one person who doesn't care what they play on but if the game is good? i look at video games as having to buy multiple boxes to play the video games. i wish i didn't have to but i do understand that it drives competition and makes those people who make the boxes try to deliver great incentives to buy that console. it's like being a movie buff and having to pick between HD-DVD or Blu-Ray because there may be good movies exclusive to each format. they shouldn't crap on the other system either (though it probably happens).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I agree.. actually holding bias to video game publishers is kind of silly.. because it makes it that much more difficult to enjoy or know about/believe the good games from those publishers when they do make it out.

now some may point out an apparent bias towards the psp on my part.. in a way still am. not because I don't like the games on the PSP though. on the contrary I enjoy many of the titles on the psp.. just in console form. and the ones that are only on the PSP usually eventually see their way to the consoles anyway (Lumines, LCS, VCS). so the system serves very little purpose for me, but I definitely hold no bias against the games for the system.

as far as publishers and developers go, I hold absolutely no bias whatsoever. a game is a game is a game.. psp is a very rare instance, and it mostly has to do with the way the system has been targeted and marketed, thus creating basically an overlap in other areas with its software library.

aside from that oddity though, I agree it is definitely silly to hold publisher bias. even against say EA.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Great lets discusspenny arcade MS ads.

Marketing Message: dont buy PS3 buy 360 please.

Yeah ok thanks, should I get get me a Pepsi or a Coke now, I wonder if there is a cartoon for that. I wonder which branch is sponsoring them this week?

Fusebox

Banned
How did the 360 launch line-up get dragged into this? Do you see the guy carrying Perfect Dark Zero and PGR3 out of the store??

It's G-o-freakin-W people! And if you choose to stand in the rain to buy a PS3 at the expense of playing GoW then your gamer status deserves to be challenged in a witty manner by an online webcomic.

Sonki.

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
What's slanted abot the comic (to me) the portrit of the fans as being miserable. I haven't seen anybody lined up that looks miserable. The unhappy people are the ones who gave up and are disappointed they aren't getting a PS3. People is line have been excited (or at least hopeful) about making money, where I have seen them.

That the text of the article makes cricisms of the PS3 launch that they never bothered to make about the 360 launch is icing.

Everywhere I went... They ALL looked ****ing dead... They all had enough of this shit. WE ALL TOGETHER were pissed off.

Top Bottom