• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade's Eye of Judgement Details.

Defuser

20070801.jpg

Eye of Judgment is founded on a gimmick - but it's a great one, and the game they've built atop it is fantastic. If you like tactical games, CCGs, or tabletop wargames, you should turn your attention to it as a flower tilts toward the sun. We've provided a helpful list of the things you'll need to really get underway. The Hood of Gra'a'kul is not strictly necessary, but it does set the tone.

If you were hoping I'd describe Eye of Judgment in more detail today, you are in luck. If you were hoping I wouldn't - and this is the most likely scenario - then you're in big trouble. I can hardly think about anything else.

We should begin with a sample card, this-a-here Biolith Bomber. Being a promo, it's probably not final - but we can learn from it.

card.jpg

There's a lot going on, but most of it is actually very literal - there are some ridiculous games in this genre, and this ain't one of 'em. Let's start at the top, and also, the bottom: these are the eldrytch symbols that tell the Playstation Eye what card you've played. Mostly, these cards consist of creatures similar to this one. They can also represent Fortresses, defensive structures designed to hold down a square or confer other benefits, spells that alter the game flow, and also "actions." Actions consist of gameplay commands like ending your turn or activating an existing card, nothing we really need to get into. You could play a whole game without using either.

Moving on from the sigils at the top, you can see the first of four green triangles, used to determine a card's orientation. Then name, and to the left, a bunch of important shit. The large number is the cost (in "mana") to summon it. Three was pretty middle of the road in these decks, and since you only get two mana a turn (barring other factors) it's something you need to plan for a little. The smaller number is that card's activation cost, or the cost to use it again after it has been placed. Each creature gets a free attack initially, after that you need to pay the (presumably magical) piper. These two numbers are bound in chains for a specific reason. We'll get to it in a second.

Below all that is hit points and damage dealt per attack, and there's a plus by the attack value that is explained below on the flavor text. Not a bad card. The grids near the bottom communicate all the combat information - the left is telling us that this particular unit can attack in all directions, even multiple spaces out. The right is defensive information. Those grey squares tell you that any attack that comes from those directions will be responded to in kind. We saw cards that had squares marked with a B, indicating blind spots where attackers can deal hits without fear of reprisal.

This card is also a Biolith card, as denoted by the grey, gear-looking thing in the middle right. Biolith is one of the game's five elements, the other four being forest, water, stone, and fire. The game is played on a three by three board, every tile of which conforms to one of these types. Typically, when a creature is played on its own element, it gets two bonus hit points. Depending on flavor text, other benefits may also be conferred. Biolith cards are unique in that they get no such bonus - they tend to be a little tougher, or even a little weirder, than other cards. In fact, they can only be played on a Biolith tile at the start of the game, and there was only one of these on the board we were using - right in the middle. This is what those chains are about. Once five creatures are in play, this "lock" on placement breaks and Biolith creatures may be played anywhere.

The objective of the game is to have cards occupying five squares. When either player has four in play, their opponent is in "check" - unless you're able to destroy an enemy creature that turn, you stand a pretty good chance of losing. Gabriel got a reprieve in one game because all my cards were too expensive to summon, so it's not a guarantee, but klaxons should definitely be going off in your mind.

The board itself, as I've described, is elemental in nature - but each tile has a top and a bottom, and there are spells that can flip them over. The middle square that I mentioned is Biolith on top and bottom, so it's not as big a deal there, but if you're relying on a tile's bonus hit points (or you've placed a creature that can only survive on "forest" tiles), such shifts are front page news.

At this point, you know everything you need to know in order to play. It's easy to see how a card might actually face two separate ways in game terms, or (as in the case of these weird frogs I had, frogs who rode grasshoppers) a creature might jump the square next to it and attack one square away. Gabriel played a farmer - seriously, all he had was a rake - who might transform into a lizardman. I had a weird little guy who (provided he survived the round) would let me summon any creature to his square for free. I took that opportunity to summon a mechanical battle God, but to each his own. Gabriel saved his mana allowance for a big purchase, near the end: a vast red dragon who (when placed on a red tile) gets a really nasty attack that is almost free to use. No-one asks him why he is hot, and no hip-hop "cuts" will ever commemorate it. He is hot because he is a three story lizard made of living fire. He has a rider, but it's hard to believe that tiny guy is calling the shots. I think he climbed up there many years ago, on some drunken fraternity dare, and now regrets this choice in absolute terms.

Online play, if you're curious, involves registering a legal thirty card deck to the system. When playing a distant opponent, the game knows your deck and "draws" your hand virtually, telling you what valid cards to pull. That's their system, and it's a little weird, but playing cards against someone you can't see in another country might be the ultimate cheating scenario. Desperate measures, and so forth. If the cards are registered and the draw is virtual, it sort of obviates the cards - right? - unless you're enforcing card ownership, which they most certainly are. It's a little weird, but they're trying to manage a pretty unique scenario.

Would the game play just as well without cards? Absolutely. But the physicality of card placement and interaction has its own virtues. Cards are recognized in a second or less, so watching them transformed is actually a very interactive, exciting process. You don't actually need the PS3 to play it - the game can be played on a regular table without any electronic accompaniment. But you'll probably find, as we did, that having a perpetually available neutral arbiter who will track all numeric systems is pretty convenient.

As a cool Augmented Reality play by Sony and Hasbro, the whole thing is just kind of... noble. I say noble, because I'm not sure it will find a home in either camp - the dedicated electronic gamer, or the CCG enthusiast. It should, I believe it should, because it's a solid product that bridges those disciplines in a unique and satisfying way - but this idea is much bigger than Eye of Judgment. When you consider what this could mean for the tabletop, I think we may rightly call this The Beginning.

(CW)TB out.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Karma Kramer said:
This sounds ****ing awesome.

I wanna see a video of it.

Kramer? Is that you? Who stole his account?!

Wow, I'm confused already. The only card game I ever worked out was Pokemon. Magic The Gathering hurt my brain just trying to work it out.

This game will sell fairly well, but the area where it MIGHT lose money is the extra cards. The cards are all bar-code based, so unless they have a way to have a specific way that tells whether the card is a duplicate or not, i can vision people scanning the cards on PC and printing the jpgs...

Maybe it's just me... I hope its just me...

Darji

Banned
Defuser said:
Because I'm Special :)
plus he didn't throw in the comic together.
Yes the comic was the eye-catcher^^

But great review the onyl fear i have is the whole cardstuff. I dont want to spend a shitload of money for cards....

noonche

This is another game I feel lives and dies by its pricing. I really hope this isn't too expensive.

Edit: it's in english too Wollan

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Online play, if you're curious, involves registering a legal thirty card deck to the system. When playing a distant opponent, the game knows your deck and "draws" your hand virtually, telling you what valid cards to pull. That's their system, and it's a little weird, but playing cards against someone you can't see in another country might be the ultimate cheating scenario. Desperate measures, and so forth. If the cards are registered and the draw is virtual, it sort of obviates the cards - right? - unless you're enforcing card ownership, which they most certainly are. It's a little weird, but they're trying to manage a pretty unique scenario.

Thank you Jesus!

Wollan

Yeah, just as speculated. There's no other way really so I'm really glad they are taking this step to get rid of all cheating. Man, some people are going to waste all their time on this thing online. Lights off, a candle burning, some soda and chips in hand. I want this game.

Wollan

Linkzg said:
how much is the Camera itself?
Probably 50-60$. No price announced yet but the feature set is really impressive. (60fps @ 480p, 120fps at 320p. 4 way mic that separates sound and takes it in based on location, Lens sees clearly in dark rooms..etc).

OokieSpookie said:
Don't you get the starter deck and then like one or two sealed booster packs?
Ah yes, my bad.

Wollan said:
Probably 50-60$. No price announced yet but the feature set is really impressive. (60fps @ 480p, 120fps at 320p. 4 way mic that separates sound and takes it in based on location, Lens sees clearly in dark rooms..etc).

Ah yes, my bad.

I thought my cardboard crack days were long behind me *cries*

exarkun

I wanted to make a thread about this, cause A. I love card games B. Penny Arcade and IGN both gave it glowing reviews in the last 5 days. I am in love with this game already and I REALLLY want to see my cards come to life on the screen.

Any chance they'll release a high def version of the eyetoy someday? Seems kind of lame having a high def TV, high def console and playing using a standard def camera.

Firestreak said:
Any chance they'll release a high def version of the eyetoy someday? Seems kind of lame having a high def TV, high def console and playing using a standard def camera.

Wollan said:

this one seems pretty damn good compared to other console cameras

P.A. said:
As a cool Augmented Reality play by Sony and Hasbro, the whole thing is just kind of... noble. I say noble, because I'm not sure it will find a home in either camp - the dedicated electronic gamer, or the CCG enthusiast. It should, I believe it should, because it's a solid product that bridges those disciplines in a unique and satisfying way - but this idea is much bigger than Eye of Judgment. When you consider what this could mean for the tabletop, I think we may rightly call this The Beginning.
Well put. Interesting and evoking indeed. Even as someone who's never cared for or played CCGs, but still someone with roots in tabletop gaming. There's going to be some great brainstorming to come from this game and hardware if it pulls it off.

Wollan

Any chance they'll release a high def version of the eyetoy someday?
I doubt it. They have a price limit (& performance I guess). That it runs and records at such a high framerate with the ability to separate sound sources and the ability to see in badly lit rooms are very practical features.

I understand it's a good value. What I'm saying is I'd be willing to pay more for high def. I just think I should get the choice to if I am willing to pay a premium. Afterall I already paid more for a high def setup in the first place.

Wollan

Sure but I doubt they would take use of that in most games as I would guess decoding and analyzing a HD stream might take away important resources from the games as well as a HD stream would be something exclusively offline in most cases.

Another thing, I hope I'll be able to use the mike for regular voicechat in home and other games. I use a headset now and I set my TV as the output, it'd be cool to just have the eye be my mike and just talk to the TV.

Especially useful for Warhawk cause then everyone playing can talk instead of just the guy with the headset.

Wollan

Firestreak said:
Can't you use high def cams in the chat thing over PSN friendlist?

I have no idea. I'm just guessing that streaming a 720p signal would require a very very high bandwidth from both users.

noonche

Wollan said:
99$ for:

Game
Card deck
2x Card booster packs
Cloth Map
PS Eye Camera (prob 50-60$ value)
Camera Stand

;)

I actually think the price of the cards (booster packs, extra starter decks, etc) are most important. If the games good and cheap enough to convince non-PS3 owners to buy just the cards then they may have a real hit on their hands.

Sypher

Banned
Gosh, I remember the days I was heavy into Pokemon CCG. Tried to get into MTG but thats a game if you werent there day one, dont bother.

This game looks great and makes the best use of a console camera that ive ever seen. If i had a PS3, I could seriously see myself playing this.

exarkun

How well do you guys think this game could even sell (cause its an amazing idea combined with what seems to be a very solid card game)? I mean other than eye of judgement what is the Eye thing gonna be used for?

Kinan

This is my definite must buy this fall. I'm so gonna play it with my friend that moved to other town few years ago. Did they announced Euro (or any) release date already? I've noticed Wollan put it to October in his "PS3 releases chart."

Vashu

Yeah, it's currently slated for October worldwide. The last releaselist had October 24th on the game, and I'm willing to bet that they want to have the game out in both US and Europe at the same time. This way the playing ground is a bit more even.

And you can count on Hasbro, who own Wizards of the Coast, for releasing it here in time. Also, the game itself is region free (all SCE games are nowadays), so they should have no trouble releasing it here around the same time.

Also: Must have! I've played MTG for a long time, from the beginning of Urza's Saga (I did play around Ice Age a bit, but it was a pretty big mess) when the game started to be more coherent. And funny thing is, I know the man who had the project lead on Urza's Saga in person.

So anyhoo, EoJ is going to be a game that I simply must own. This sounds awesome. :D

Wollan

It's a simultaneous worldwide release with this one which is really nice. October 24th last I heard.

I mean other than eye of judgement what is the Eye thing gonna be used for?
There's heaps of PSN titles that will take use of it. The biggest known retail titles are SingStar (upload user recorded videos) and Burnout Paradise. You can use it for standard XMB webchatting..etc. It is the all around official PS3 web camera for everything. It's also has a awesome mic system built in which furthers it's potential.

Kinan

Wollan said:
There's heaps of PSN titles that will take use of it. The biggest known retail titles are SingStar (upload user recorded videos) and Burnout Paradise. You can use it for standard XMB webchatting..etc. It is the all around official PS3 web camera for everything. It's also has a awesome mic system built in which furthers it's potential.

I wanna control XMB in Minority Report style. Make it happen, Sony!

DrXym

I wonder how long it will be before someone defeats the card encoding scheme?

I assume each card is uniquely numbered with a checksum, that is then cross-referenced to the owner and the card type. I hope Sony were smart enough to randomly number each card across a large keyspace so the numbers are not guessable, and that the system flags users who attempt to fraudulently register non-existent cards.

le.phat

it looks so damn cool! i hope EoJ takes off, and attract other possible CCG bigshots to try something similiar. If it takes off, i can't begin to imagine how cool a full CCG online community, complete with expansions and tournaments would be :D

SpudBud

Wollan said:
99$ for:

Game
Card deck
2x Card booster packs
Cloth Map
PS Eye Camera (prob 50-60$ value)
Camera Stand

;)
Thats not a bad deal. Don't knowif i'll pick it up though, got out of card games along time ago.

spwolf

Crow-kun said:
That looks and sounds interesting. Whatever happened to Eyedentify?

PS Eye is coming out sooner I think than Eye of Judgement... so there will be other games utilizing it sooner than October...

Top Bottom