• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People accidentally buy stuff on PS4; Sony does not offer refunds

I'm confused, am I understanding right that the general sentiment here is that sony should NOT be offering refunds? The fuck? Why not? Because it's digital media? If I buy something, accidently or otherwise, and never use the product, I should be allowed to return it hassle-free within a timely manner, the stories in the OP sound like they were going for the refund same day or the next morning. Fuck that noise from sony, I love them but the anti-consumer bullshit is still messed up.

This is bullshit. You have to verify each PSN purchase twice before it goes though. Its completely the OP and Sony has no blame in this at all.

Anti-consumer my ass.

Trey

I'm also confused how multiple people turned their ps4 on, left it on, used the DS4 on their ps3 to play dark souls2, all accidentally bought something and all were refused a refund....I'm calling shenanigans

Download something from the PS store, and while you wait play some Dark Souls 2. Doesn't seem like a farfetched situation to me.

So Sony is refusing to reimburse people who are intentionally using one of their products for something other than its intended use, and somehow Sony is doing something wrong? Sure.

The DS4 is compatible with the PS4, bluetooth devices, and devices that accept generic USB input. So people that use it with the PS3 are using it as intended.

And as a consumer I would like to see Sony implement a variety of features and policies that their competitors in the digital space have already enacted that protect against these sort of situations.

I'm also confused how multiple people turned their ps4 on, left it on, used the DS4 on their ps3 to play dark souls2, all accidentally bought something and all were refused a refund....I'm calling shenanigans

I was thinking the same thing.

Im sure its just a very agitated handful of people that are trying to make this sound like some huge flaw in the system and painting Sony as the bad guy when its such stupid common sense to make sure the DS4 you are trying to use on PS3 isn't still active on your PS4.

jacobeid

Banned
There was only two? I had assumed more, as otherwise good lord that is a very small sample size to claim a problem and make a big deal out of

Yeah no, I think there are only two reports (at least in the OP and I haven't seen any more in here). This is clearly extremely isolated. I don't think the Dark Souls connection has anything to do with it other than there are a lot of people turning on their PS3s again for the game that just released this week.

_hekk05

Banned
yeah there will always be outliers but if it was a widespread problem EA would have shut it down. They probably get more sales from people buying the game to "test" then keeping it anyway, than refunds.

No. I mean like there is literally a section where they ask you why you are asking for a refund, and there is a drop down menu with the option 'Its not fun enough' that you can select.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Not surprised to see people defending Sonys awful policy on refunds on PSN.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Which is perfectly fine. However this is beyond a Sony issue and needs to be taken up to a higher place. If situations like this can arise, there needs to be extra precautions put in place so that the consumer can have a way around it. If that means companies need to always specifically label what and what their products can and cannot do than so be it. It's ridiculous to be called some type of fanboy for not seeing the situation in tinted glasses.
The only thing I think needs to happen is that password input is an Opt-Out, instead of an Opt-In. Then again, I bet we would eventually come up with one or two people that go, I accidentally typed in my full password and bought a game... I'm serious.
You mean, two?
Does he mean it as a noun or an adjective? I admit, "couple" would be a better usage of words, but he's not wrong, in using "multiple".

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I can vouch for how crap Sony Entertainment Network's customer service can be. I am trying to find out why I had 3 subscriptions to Music Unlimited associated with my account and why after I purchased a 3 month subscription (at a set price) they decided to then create a full £9.99 a month subscription and take money out my account.

Even if it was stated that the 3 month access would turn into a full subscription (a point that I dispute). You would think that as I emailed them seconds after the payment was taken saying that I did not want to subscribe, they would simply cancel it and refund my account. I spend hundreds of pounds a year on the PSN store and they are willing to risk pissing off a loyal customer for the sake of £9.99

For me it's not even about the money, they can give that to charity or something, but I am disgusted by the templated emails I receive. It gives me no confidence that they are a company I want to invest thousands of pounds with this gen on buying all my games digitally (which I had been doing on PS4).

I have had to deal with customer services from other companies (such as Amazon) and they could not be more helpful. I know that when I spend money with them, there is a human being on the other end if I have an issue.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
They should get a refund. Anti consumer GAF is something I never expected to see, there's always one or two, but this thread is mind blowing.

Sony should offer a refund, since the customer had no intention of buying the game. It's an officially supported feature that's implemented in a crappy way.

Also, fix this crap Sony, it's not that hard.

Trey

The only thing I think needs to happen is that password input is an Opt-Out, instead of an Opt-In. Then again, I bet we would eventually come up with one or two people that go, I accidentally typed in my full password and bought a game... I'm serious.

At that point I wouldn't be against Sony. They took steps that reasonably protect consumers and themselves.

Vagabundo

There should certainly be a - EU mandated - cooling off period of 24 hours or so for digital downloads. Especially if the game/whatever hasn't been download, played or watched.

Accidents happen; customers should be protected.

_hekk05

Banned
Download something from the PS store, and while you wait play some Dark Souls 2. Doesn't seem like a farfetched situation to me.

The DS4 is compatible with the PS4, bluetooth devices, and devices that accept generic USB input. So people that use it with the PS3 are using it as intended.

And as a consumer I would like to see Sony implement a variety of features and policies that their competitors in the digital space have already enacted that protect against these sort of situations.

You can't connect your DS4 to your PS3 with bluetooth afaik. Its a generic controller in the eyes of the PS3.

They should get a refund. Anti consumer GAF is something I never expected to see, there's always one or two, but this thread is mind blowing.

Sony should offer a refund, since the customer had no intention of buying the game. It's an officially supported feature that's implemented in a crappy way.

Thanks for not reading the thread. This is not anti-consumer bullshit. Its also not an officially supported feature. Officially recognised as possible, maybe. But not officially supported.

What's to fix? Password your PSN so you need to put in a password to finalize payment.

Also pay attention/test shit when using controllers meant for one console on another! I would have at least once tested to make sure it isn't active on both before proceeding.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Read the OP, couldn't help but laugh. Yeah, I don't see Sony offering refunds for this. Especially since they have offer a confirmation screen twice I think asking if you are sure if you want to buy the product. Sucks, but just eat it and move on. This isn't anti-consumer or any other word being thrown around. More like lesson learned.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Thanks for not reading the thread. This is not anti-consumer bullshit. Its also not an officially supported feature. Officially recognised as possible, maybe. But not officially supported.

It''s anti-consumer to not allow refunds at all, especially in the content hasn't been downloaded. Sony deserves far more shit than it gets for it's policies.

Joni

It''s anti-consumer to not allow refunds at all, especially in the content hasn't been downloaded. Sony deserves far more shit than it gets for it's policies.
The thread has shown that they do allow refunds for a variety of reasons, including reasons has versatile as the game was ugly and accidentally clicking twice on a subscription. Aside from that, the PlayStation 4 starts downloads automatically.

Deuterium

Read the OP, couldn't help but laugh. Yeah, I don't see Sony offering refunds for this. Especially since they have offer a confirmation screen twice I think asking if you are sure if you want to buy the product. Sucks, but just eat it and move on. This isn't anti-consumer or any other word being thrown around. More like lesson learned.

I have to assume the video output of the PS4 was not displayed on his television, when he is playing his PS3. They must be connected to different television inputs/HDMI connections.

For its general policies regarding refunds, definitely. For this problem in particular, probably not imho. If something isn't officially supported (though I guess an argument can be made - still seems tenuous), you're taking some risk in using it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
You can't connect your DS4 to your PS3 with bluetooth afaik. Its a generic controller in the eyes of the PS3.

Yes you can make the argument that the user should have been more careful/had a password/or whatever. But don't be giving me that shit that he's not using it as designed. Yes he is, he's using it as a generic usb controller something which it DOES support and something which Sony have even fucking said is possible.

Do Sony straight away NEED to give him a refund ? No they don't but there's many things they could look at such as the time taken from purchase to getting into contact with support. It doesn't need to be black and fuckin white, not every situation is or has shown to be. It shows good will from the company and keeps the customer happy, someone who owns both a PS3 and PS4 and will very likely buy software for both machines retail and downloadable. I'd call it having a bit of tact but I guess I'm just genuinely surprised by the number of people who go 'Stupid prick, his own fault, tough' with no empathy or sympathy whatsoever. Then again I shouldn't be shocked really, this is GAF afterall.

MavFan619

Banned
I've received more than one refund from Sony on digital content that I chose to buy. So I can't give them shit when they helped me out in a timely manner. I am sure they would refund these things but I can't put blame on Sony either for all this.

Sorian

Banned
This is bullshit. You have to verify each PSN purchase twice before it goes though. Its completely the OP and Sony has no blame in this at all.

Anti-consumer my ass.

You mean you have to hit X twice without moving the cursor at all? Calm it down buddy.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler

I read the first two (4) pages, if it is recognized (not maybe, it's recognized, fact), it's supported, and fixing it shouldn't be hard at all.

I don't care about the technical details, that's Sony's problem.

And it's anti consumer to not offer refund, consumers didn't intend to buy those games at all, what's the problem with a refund? Shitty answer.

wildfire

Banned
This incident makes me realize multiboxing is now possible with a console game.

It will be funny to see when someone utilizes this to have 2 characters act as one in multiplayer games.

Sony can't even declare it as a bannable exploit since they have to pay for a game twice to have access to 2 characters to pull this off.

JayEH

I have to agree with most people on this thread. I don't think Sony needs to give refunds for this. It sucks but thus is life.

No. I mean like there is literally a section where they ask you why you are asking for a refund, and there is a drop down menu with the option 'Its not fun enough' that you can select.

you mean through origin? psn has what, tens of millions of customers?

make a thread about it and see people from here and lurkers abuse it. it's not popular enough to be abused.

Hmm that sucks but it's not too surprising from Sony's end. It's a bit like what does a company do if a customer says their 6 year old nephew buys something by accident on PSN. You have to trust that the customer themselves don't simply regret their purchase

Just tried this out, and yeah it controls two devices at the same time. But I wasn't able to control the PS4 if I turn off the DS4 on the PS4 first before plugging it in to the PS3.

Turn on password requirement when purchasing.

Better yet, press the power button on PS3 as opposed to pressing it on the DS4, and refrain from touching the PS button on DS4.

Seems like a very, very hard mistake to do successfully, so I have to imagine it's just one or two people who have actually done this and bothered to ask for refunds?

Top Bottom