• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People accidentally buy stuff on PS4; Sony does not offer refunds

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I thought this was going to be another Nephew thread
Who got a refund.

But we still have some claim that Sony never offers refunds even though I've read more posts about people receiving refunds from Sony in this thread than I have in the entire time on GAF about Steam. ;-)

This reminds me of the thread about Nintendo not giving advertised discounts because people bought their game too early. Once again people are arguing for the big company based on technicalities. They don't have to by law, but they should. To prevent fraud it should be a one time deal, no more refunds for mistakes after this.

Who got a refund.

But we still have some claim that Sony never offers refunds even though I've read more posts about people receiving refunds from Sony in this thread than I have in the entire time on GAF about Steam. ;-)

I was recently reimbursed for South Park as I hit a loading screen that would never progress no matter how many times I tried. After I went through troubleshooting that involved me having to reformat the PS3 and reinstall the game (grumble) my account was credited $59.99 in just under a week. They sent an email saying it was a "one time expression of good will."

Which is okay with me because I'll never buy another retail game digitally, and I'm really satisfied in general with PSN (proper account system, cross-play, cross-buy, etc).

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
So do you want them to take out the DS4 controller support out of the PS3, or do you want them to take out the charge on any USB port out of the DS4 controller?
The technical issues of this are not my problem, those are Sony's problem. But this doesn't happen in MSFT or Nintendo's consoles, so if Nintendo can do it right, I don't see why Sony can't.

But this could happen to anyone using a DS4 on a PS3. Unlikely? sure, but I would be fucking pissed if it happened to me (obviously now we are all warned because of this thread).
This reminds me of the thread about Nintendo not giving advertised discounts because people bought their game too early. Once again people are arguing for the big company based on technicalities. They don't have to by law, but they should. To prevent fraud it should be a one time deal, no more refunds for mistakes after this.
It's not the same AT ALL. In one example a consumer and a vendor agreed on a price and made the transaction. In the other example a consumer got charged unknowingly with a product he didn't want to buy, because of a badly implemented feature by the vendor. A loyal consumer too.

_hekk05

Banned
To all the guys clamouring about refunds, you do know Sony do give refunds on a case by case basis right? They tell you they won't, but they're big softies in the end.

Also officially recognise that the DS4 is a generic usb controller and that the PS3 supports generic controllers is not equals to DS4 officially supporting the PS3.

The PS3 supports the DS4 in a limited capacity. There is a difference. If the DS4 supports the PS3, then we can say that it is a technical error that the DS4 can control 2 units at the same time.

If the PS3 supports the DS4, it cannot really account for what the DS4 does wonky, like retaining its connection to a PS4 that has already been established prior to connection with the PS3.

They say its possible... yeah, that doesn't seem like something that removes any responsibility on their part.

But if it was up to me I'd advise refunds in many cases. Its just better customer service.

To all the guys clamouring about refunds, you do know Sony do give refunds on a case by case basis right? They tell you they won't, but they're big softies in the end.
That wasn't my experience. Took me two weeks to get a refund for my BF4 PSN download. It was specifically declined twice over. Persistence is key though.

Joni

The technical issues of this are not my problem, those are Sony's problem. But this doesn't happen in MSFT or Nintendo's consoles, so if Nintendo can do it right, I don't see why Sony can't.
You claim it isn't hard, so tell us why you think so. It is really disingenious to post stuff like that, and then saying you really don't have an idea if it is hard or not. Microsoft and Nintendo both prevent this by not allowing generic controllers to be used, so you think this should be solved by removing a feature from the PS3 and pissing off all consumers that use generic controllers on their console like all the people that want to play Dark Souls II with their DS4.

x3sphere

It's a silly mistake, Sony should definitely give him a refund, and perhaps educate him on enabling the password prompt on purchases. Of course they're not obligated to do so, but any company with excellent customer service would in a case like this.

They aren't opening the gates for potential abuse by allowing this one-off refund. People that are trying to game the system will come up with better excuses than this.

Cbajd5

Read the topic, we have listed our reasons thousands of times.

All I can find by searching is why the PS3 thinks it's a generic controller, not why it's not officially supported despite there being an official support article on it.

Also, nice job removing the link to the official support article from your quote.

Yes, and now they're going to take it away because now it's costing them money.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Okay? They can always just disable purchasing ability (or force password entry) if the DS4 is charging from a non-PS4 power source.

Okay? An incorrect statement on how a DS4 can't be Bluetooth synced to a PS4 (It obviously should say PS3) has nothing to do with a DS4 Bluetooth syncing with and controlling a PS4 while also controlling a PS3 over USB.

PorllM

Banned
While I can understand how annoying this must be for people, I don't really see why Sony have to sort out their fuck-ups for them.

Because this is Sony's fuck up, not theres. When you sync a controller to a different PS4 it stops controlling the other one until you sync it back, for this exact reason. They obviously forgot to make it do that between a PS3 and PS4.

that's not how this works. The onus is on the provider to outline what its product is capable of doing. The provider did not inform the consumer that the device could conceivably control both devices.

Yes, that's how this works, more specifically how Bluetooth works. Again, if you put something in a microwave that shouldn't be there, is it the manufacturers fault for not outlining every single thing you can and can't put in there? Where does common sense come into play? Apparently, to you Sony should play nanny because you can't be trusted with your own products.

wildfire

Banned
This incident makes me realize multiboxing is now possible with a console game.

It will be funny to see when someone utilizes this to have 2 characters act as one in multiplayer games.

Sony can't even declare it as a bannable exploit since they have to pay for a game twice to have access to 2 characters to pull this off.

Any cross gen, shared population multiplayer games?

Only Final Fantasy XIV so far.

linkboy

Why are people saying that the DS4 isn't officially supported on the PS3?

There's an official support article informing user how to use the DS4 with the PS3...

Cool, so Sony finally got around to pushing a firmware update down that allows DS4 users on the PS3 to use the following:

A) Wireless

B) Rumble

C) SIXAXIS

The DS4 is not support by Sony to work on the PS3, if it was, the things I listed above would work (and people would stop buying DS3's in droves)

Instead, the PS3 supports generic USB controllers, which is what it detects the DS4 to be and acts according. The PS3 has no idea the controller is made by Sony, all it sees is a controller.

This controller also works on the PS3, exactly the same as the DS4 does, yet it was made for PC, not a console at all

f710-gaming-gamepad-images.png

All Sony is saying by having that up is that, yes, the DS4 is functional with the PS3, however, a majority of features won't work and not all games will be supported.

madmackem

I nearly did this when playing southpark on ps3 as i had two on at the sametime, it got right to the checkout haha. It wouldve been my fault and my fault alone if i had money on the account and i had checked out. How are sony to prove you did it by accident? they are right not to allow refunds.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
You claim it isn't hard, so tell us why you think so. It is really disingenious to post stuff like that, and then saying you really don't have an idea if it is hard or not. Microsoft and Nintendo both prevent this by not allowing generic controllers to be used, so you think this should be solved by removing a feature from the PS3 and pissing off all consumers that use generic controllers on their console like all the people that want to play Dark Souls II with their DS4.
Why it isn't hard for Sony? Because they are a multibillion dollar company that spans dozens of countries and have thousands of engineers working for them. They have invented stuff that have changed the lifestyle of people. They would have to be absolutely inept if they can't fix a simple problem like this.

I mean, sorry, this isn't a Kickstarter company run by one man on their free time. It's a silly problem and a giant technology based company should be able to fix it in no time.

alatif113

Okay? An incorrect statement on how a DS4 can't be Bluetooth synced to a PS4 (It obviously should say PS3) has nothing to do with a DS4 Bluetooth syncing with and controlling a PS4 while also controlling a PS3 over USB.

Or...you know it could mean what it means: you cant have your DS4 synced with the PS4. You'd think they'd fix a typo (a big one that changes the context of their statement at that) within 2 months...

madmackem

Why it isn't hard for Sony? Because they are a multibillion dollar company that spans dozens of countries and have thousands of engineers working for them. They have invented stuff that have changed the lifestyle of people. They would have to be absolutely inept if they can't fix a simple problem like this.

I mean, sorry, this isn't a Kickstarter company run by one man on their free time. It's a silly problem and a giant technology based company should be able to fix it in no time.

It only does it if you turn on the ps4 as well, i didnt have issues with it at all if i had the ps4 off before i connected the ds4 via usb to the ps3. Its the only way you can use it wired.

Joni

Okay, you don't know what you're talking about. I'll keep that in mind.

Lothars

I am fine with that but It's ripe for abuse.

linkboy

The PS3 and PS4 use standard USB protocols, which is why you can plug so much shit into them (moreso the PS3 at this point) and have it work.

If you want Sony to disable that, be my guest, because that's the only way Sony could prevent this.

Either that, or you lose the ability to charge the DS4 into anything other than a PS4.

I nearly did this when playing southpark on ps3 as i had two on at the sametime, it got right to the checkout haha. It wouldve been my fault and my fault alone if i had money on the account and i had checked out. How are sony to prove you did it by accident? they are right not to allow refunds.

If you haven't played the game or like the case in the op have bought a second copy of a game you already owned then it should be obvious. Treating customers like thieves by default isn't the way to do things.

Cbajd5

Cool, so Sony finally got around to pushing a firmware update down that allows DS4 users on the PS3 to use the following:

A) Wireless

B) Rumble

C) SIXAXIS

The DS4 is not support by Sony to work on the PS3, if it was, the things I listed above would work (and people would stop buying DS3's in droves)

Instead, the PS3 supports generic USB controllers, which is what it detects the DS4 to be and acts according. The PS3 has no idea the controller is made by Sony, all it sees is a controller.

This controller also works on the PS3, exactly the same as the DS4 does, yet it was made for PC, not a console at all

f710-gaming-gamepad-images.png

All Sony is saying by having that up is that, yes, the DS4 is functional with the PS3, however, a majority of features won't work and not all games will be supported.

So they have a support article saying that the controller functions with the PS3? To most reasonable people that says the DS4 is supported by the PS3, even if it isn't complete support.

Does that controller also work with the PS4? If so, does it also let you control both consoles at the same time?

The problem here is that an officially supported controller for both systems allows you to do this. Regardless of how well it is supported with one system or another, it is officially supported by both. They have complete control is stopping the DS4 from purchasing something on the PS4 while it's connected to something else.

Aesthet1c

Strange they aren't doing refunds.

I got a refund on an accidental PSN purchase like 2 weeks ago. (It was the first time I've ever requested a refund from them though).

Also, everyone should enable password at checkout. Then you avoid stupid mistakes like this.

Trey

Yes, that's how this works, more specifically how Bluetooth works. Again, if you put something in a microwave that shouldn't be there, is it the manufacturers fault for not outlining every single thing you can and can't put in there? Where does common sense come into play? Apparently, to you Sony should play nanny because you can't be trusted with your own products.

If the microwave specifically said "hot pockets are acceptable" and then had a whole FAQ page outlining how to cook hotpockets in said microwave, I would consider that something that can be used.

and what are you arguing? Sony specifically says the DS4 may be used with the PS3. What they also do is inform users that the DS4 only works in limited capacity, and only with certain games on the PS3. What Sony doesn't do is inform the user that the controller does not stop transmitting to the PS4.

Also, everyone should enable password at checkout. Then you avoid stupid mistakes like this.

Sony should enable password protect by default. Then stupid mistakes like this wouldn't happen unless the user knowingly opted out.

Joni

So they have a support article saying that the controller functions with the PS3? To most reasonable people that says the DS4 is supported by the PS3, even if it isn't complete support.

It also says It cannot be synced to a PS4 via Bluetooth. on that same support page. Guess what, it was synced to a PS4 via BLuetooth in the case of the OP. If you take the page as official support, you need to take every statement of it into account.

linkboy

Because this is Sony's fuck up, not theres. When you sync a controller to a different PS4 it stops controlling the other one until you sync it back, for this exact reason. They obviously forgot to make it do that between a PS3 and PS4.

Here's the thing though,

THE DS4 NEVER SYNCS TO THE PS3 BECAUSE IT CAN'T

The DS4 and the PS3 do not know how to communicate with each other over a Bluetooth connection. Sony has not, and probably won't, add that to the PS3.

When the DS4 is plugged into a PS3, the PS3 sees it as a generic USB PC controller, that's it. It has no clue it's a controller made by Sony.

The connection between the DS4 and the PS4 is always the primary connection because the DS4 was made to look for the PS4 only over it's wireless bluetooth protocol. It literally doesn't know how to connect to anything else (which is why you need drivers for it to work on a PC over Bluetooth).

_hekk05

Banned

Does that controller also work with the PS4? If so, does it also let you control both consoles at the same time?

The problem here is that an officially supported controller for both systems allows you to do this. Regardless of how well it is supported with one system or another, it is officially supported by both. They have complete control is stopping the DS4 from purchasing something on the PS4 while it's connected to something else.

You said it yourself. Incomplete support =not official support.

Clockwork

They aren't ever syncing the controller to the PS3.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Okay, you don't know what you're talking about. I'll keep that in mind.
I don't know why you are defending this at all; I mean, a loyal enthusiastic consumer (someone that preorders consoles, games, etc), that owns both a PS3 and 4, buys something that he didn't intend to buy. What's the problem with offering him a refund? It's only logical. If I'm on the supermarket with my kid, and the kid puts something on the cart without me noticing, and I accidentally end up buying it, and I explain the situation, I get a refund, it's only logical. And this thing happened because Sony allows to have one controller controlling two machines.

This only creates bad publicity for Sony, I think they should give the guy a refund and fix the problem. And honestly, fixing the problem should not be hard, sorry to disagree with you, but they could do a fw to officially support the DS4 on PS3 (since people like using a DS4 on PS3), or a fw on PS4 or on the controller, to let it be only one way; I don't know, I don't have the technical knowledge for this, but I don't see why it's so hard for Sony.

Aesthet1c

Sony should enable password protect by default. Then stupid mistakes like this wouldn't happen unless the user knowingly opted out.

While you aren't wrong, I can't think of a single device that does this by default. My kindle, iphone and Xbox all allow instant purchases unless I specifically change my settings to require a password.

Cbajd5

It also says It cannot be synced to a PS4 via Bluetooth. on that same support page. Guess what, it was synced to a PS4 via BLuetooth in the case of the OP. If you take the page as official support, you need to take every statement of it into account.

A one character mistake does not invalidate a whole support page. I can't believe I have to argue this. I guess they should do this on all their support pages so they can claim they don't have to support the system at all?

It's amazing how some people here are willing to go so far to defend Sony in this...

Trey

While you aren't wrong, I can't think of a single device that does this by default. My kindle, iphone and Xbox all allow instant purchases unless I specifically change my settings to require a password.

I know that when I buy stuff from Apple, they always throw that password prompt into my face. I don't remember ever turning that on.

madmackem

If you haven't played the game or like the case in the op have bought a second copy of a game you already owned then it should be obvious. Treating customers like thieves by default isn't the way to do things.

Ive had two versions of kz since launch. How they treating him like a thief? he bought the goods even though it was by error.

Lothars

That's correct but treating customers like they are automatically right is not the way to do things either, they don't always deserve a refund and if Sony gives them a refund fine but this shouldn't be the default especially when it's the customers own fault it happened.

A one character mistake does not invalidate a whole support page. I can't believe I have to argue this. I guess they should do this on all their support pages so they can claim they don't have to support the system at all?

It's amazing how some people here are willing to go so far to defend Sony in this...
What's amazing is how posters like you are defending that the people should automatically get refunds because they are "innocent". I've seen multiple cases where it's the users own fault and if they get a refund great but it shouldn't be automatic and it also shouldn't be a given for something like this.

_hekk05

Banned

Support page has it right. If you want to connect the DS4 to a PS3, you cannot have the DS4 synced to a PS4. Get it now? They literally warned you about it.

ethomaz

Banned
A good example...

If my little baby press the buttons for funny and he ended buying something... Sony needs to refund me?

Crazy but I think not... it is my mistake... not Sony one.

linkboy

Ask me this,

How can Sony stop the DS4 from being connected to the PS3 and the PS4 at the same time when,

A) The PS3 doesn't know what a DS4 is, it sees a generic USB controller

B) The DS4\PS4 connection is the only wireless connection the DS4 supports

C) The PS3 never syncs to the DS4, since it doesn't know what a DS4 is.

The only way for Sony to prevent the controller from being working on both consoles at once is for Sony to prevent it from connecting to the PS3 and PC and the only reason it does that in the first place is due to the way USB works.

If something is officially supported, that means the company has taken steps to ensure it works. Sony has never, and currently doesn't plan to, take the steps required to make the DS4 work as a Dual Shock controller on the PS3 (trust me, I wish they would, I despise the DS3 and everything that it stands for).

Sony should give the refund, that I agree with, but they're not obligated to.

Sorian

Banned

My iphone and every other iteration of iphone I've owned has always come with password-locked purchases enabled by default.

madmackem

Defend sony how? its not even officially supported on ps3 is it?. You have to turn on you ps4 before hand or during to get it to do this. It cant turn on your ps4 once its attached to the ps3.

Poor analogy, because you wear the seat belt because it's the law and because the manufacturer tells you to wear your seat belt while operating the vehicle.

Using the DS4 with the PS3 is not against the law, and Sony does not advise you against using the DS4 as a PS3 controller. In fact, they do the opposite.

I'm not arguing the blame lies solely on Sony in this instance, I'm saying Sony is implicated in the mistake by various factors and it would be anti consumer for them to deny a refund of an obvious mistake that probably wouldn't have happened given reasonable changes.

In my state, you don't have to wear your seatbelt, you know because I can choose to be stupid. Just like you can. The point is personal responsibility not trying to play it off as someone else's fault because in the end it was user error. It would be nice if they refunded you, but you are not entitled to it.

Joni

With the small caveat that the change you want to make, completely removes the warning it can't be synced to the PS4. it could be a typo, but if you want to take that page as base of official support, you need to read it as-is. You can't cherry pick the parts you like as long as it is there like it is. You know, let's go with your typo claim: even the American amendment to bear arms probably contains a "typo". The probability of the typo doesn't mean we can say we prefer the version without the typo as long as the version with the typo it is the official one.

_hekk05

Banned
In my state, you don't have to wear your seatbelt, you know because I can choose to be stupid. Just like you can. The point is personal responsibility not trying to play it off as someone else's fault because in the end it was user error. It would be nice if they refunded you, but you are not entitled to it.

Lol your state is fucked up

Trey

A good example...

If my little baby press the buttons for funny and he ended buying something... Sony needs to refund me?

Crazy but I think not... it is your mistake... not Sony one.

I think people are confusing obligated with legally obligated. No. Sony is under no legal obligations to give a refund, ever, short of the product not existing. But people will take exception, Sony will lose business, and their competitors will profit. So it is in Sony's best interest to placate consumers - to work with them and forgive honest mistakes. Sony is obligated by the consumer's directive.

I learned something today.

And you can consider it stupid to not know that using your DS4 with the PS3 wouldn't stop its transmission to the PS4, and that two consoles can effectively be controlled with one device. I care little about your personal compulsions in this situation, LiquidNarwhal. What I have argued throughout this thread is that the average consumer would not reasonably expect their DS4 to control two separate consoles, and your opinion currently does not refute this. Ultimately, I have not supported this same point with hard data but rather intuition, and various other factors such as Sony's language in their manuals not clarifying the extent of the DS4's capability and Sony's lax default store policies.

And I do implore you to have empathy for the consumers in this bizarre situation.

Top Bottom