• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People accidentally buy stuff on PS4; Sony does not offer refunds

Pardon me if i misunderstood your point then. I am all for digital refunds, on every digital platform. If it can be done in a fair way for both consumer and company (and i am sure it can), then i am 100% for it.

All right then. I'm not so much defending the TC from blame as I am defending the idea that he should be able to be refunded. Human error on the consumer side shouldn't be met with a punitive response.

Pungza

Sony shouldn't refund anyone. How are they even going to know who to refund?

User should just learn from their mistake, pay more attention and turn on the payment protections.

Does this work this way for PC as well? I've played through all of assassins creed brotherhood and ac3 recently along with lots of use for vehicles in bf4 on PC.

Never had it turn on my ps4 at the same time.

Sony shouldn't refund anyone. How are they even going to know who to refund?

User should just learn from their mistake, pay more attention and turn on the payment protections.

Again, what you're proposing is that the majority be harmed to fight against the minority. This kind of logic is why Sony wouldn't allow PSP games to be digitally transferred to PSP Go - in fear that people may steal games and send them in to have the transfer completed (likely a small minority of people would even think of this). Worse, it's the same logic that justifies Assassin's Creed II's awful PC DRM.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Uh... I'm going to have to go with Sony on this one. The Bluetooth should probably just switch off when it's plugged in
That should not happen, because that would mean the DS4 can only be charged by the PS4 instead of every single device that provides power over USB (of which I have many in various places around the room) as it currently does.

Into

All right then. I'm not so much defending the TC from blame as I am defending the idea that he should be able to be refunded. Human error on the consumer side shouldn't be met with a punitive response.

Yeah. We are sorta still stuck in this thread in regards to certain people being unable to admit that this person even made a mistake.

The mistake was somehow, made for him, and i dont think we will ever get anywhere.

It would be best if there was, say a 10 minute refund period, that protected the company and the consumer at least and he managed to find out, it would save him the trouble, Sony, and everyone in this thread.

exfatal

Thank you for clarifying the justification for Sony not issuing refunds.

Oh wait you didn't explain why Sony would be harmed by issuing refunds on things that haven't even been so much as touched. There is no such thing as a blanket refund refusal being anything other than anti-consumer. There are plenty of ways Sony can verify whether the user is trying to scam them, and they are pretty obvious - date of purchase versus date of complaint, for example. If the complaint comes a short amount of time after, what justification could Sony possibly come up with to argue that they cannot give a refund?

If Sony refunds this purchase, they will be back where they were. They won't lose a sale because the sale wasn't intended to have ever happened.

Adding to this I wouldn't be surprised if Sony had a way to know how long you palyed each game on your system for. hell you can track it yourself
well at least i can track it with 3ds and Wii u not 100% on ps4
so im sure they should be able to tell how many hours if at all were clocked into the game. I could be entirely wrong though and Sony might not have anyway to track how many hours u put into a game.

kasane

The ps3 isnt fully supported by the ds4

I think this falls under: use at your own risk. Cant see how sony is at fault here.

Tripolygon

Banned
That should not happen, because that would mean the DS4 can only be charged by the PS4 instead of every single device that provides power over USB (of which I have many in various places around the room) as it currently does.
Bingo, people are not seeing the big picture.

If you want to use the DS4 with PS3, please disable the connection to PS4 or better yet, turn off your PS4 then proceed to connect it to PS3 via USB. The DS4 will not turn you PS4 on and buy games you didn't want.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I agree that this is of no fault to Sony, but I think they should refund them anyway. It's an honest mistake. After hearing about the Xbox controller in that guys pocket buying something, and then getting refunded. I'm surprised to hear Sony hasn't done the same.

Yagharek

Sony has refunded those FIFA scammed moneys to people, AFAIK, but you have to go through the right steps to get the refund. Going straight to the bank to get a chargeback is circumventing those steps and is ALMOST like scamming money from Sony/the third party whose game/DLC you bought. At that point you have the content but Sony/3rd party doesn't have the money.

Wrong. There have been people on GAF who never got refunds despite going through the right channels. Specifically in Australia at least.

_hekk05

Banned
What? When I plug a charging cable into a thing, it charges. I don't give a shit how it charges or what processes are occurring. That's completely normal behaviour.

So your DS4 is currently linked to your PS4. You plug it into the PS3, and notice it both charges the controller, and also happens to control dark souls II. Hey that's pretty neat. You forget all about your PS4. That's pretty stupid of you if you do that.

Joni

Never had it turn on my ps4 at the same time.
It can't. It can only interact with the PlayStation 4 as long it is on. The moment the console is turned off and the controller is connected to something else, it knows it is no longer a PlayStation 4 controller.

That should not happen, because that would mean the DS4 can only be charged by the PS4 instead of every single device that provides power over USB as it currently does.
You could and should of course punish a big part of your userbase for the mistake of 2-3 people.

Thank you for clarifying the justification for Sony not issuing refunds.

Oh wait you didn't explain why Sony would be harmed by issuing refunds on things that haven't even been so much as touched. There is no such thing as a blanket refund refusal being anything other than anti-consumer. There are plenty of ways Sony can verify whether the user is trying to scam them, and they are pretty obvious - date of purchase versus date of complaint, for example. If the complaint comes a short amount of time after, what justification could Sony possibly come up with to argue that they cannot give a refund?

If Sony refunds this purchase, they will be back where they were. They won't lose a sale because the sale wasn't intended to have ever happened.

The point of the matter is, what I think everyone in here is basically trying to saying is, Sony is not obligated. Not that they shouldn't.

Can they issue the refund? Yes
Do they have to? No.
Does it matter if they don't lose a sale? Obviously it doesn't.
Is it right? Possibly not.
Is this a Sony only issue? Definitely not.

We all aren't dumb and realize that yes, the idea of them issuing a refund is a non issue, they lose nothing (as far as we know) and is something of good faith (seeing as the op didn't know) . It's something that does not hurt them in anyway.

.. But we also understand that sometimes certain faults should be taken into accountability before pointing fingers at who should be at fault. All of this could of been avoided by playing the game as advertised, on the system as advertised, on the controller it was advertised to be played with.

Joni

No refunds is a really dumb policy to have. Sony are really pushing it with this.
They give refunds. For instance, someone in this topic explained getting a refund for wrongly having bought a PSP game that doesn't work on the Vita.

It's unfortunate that the user affected had his PS4 already turned on while playing on his PS3.
It's more unfortunate that his reason was to allow the PS4 to download content, which it is perfectly capable of doing in standby mode.
It is yet even more unfortunate that this user, like many I'm sure, either did not think to enable password-protected purchases or even realize that was an option.
Adding to the unfortunateness is the ability to take just a few seconds de-coupling the DS4 from the PS4, not utilized here.

This mountain of unfortunatism tells me: password-protected purchases should be the default, users really should rtfm, and while Sony may not be obligated to issue a refund, they really should upon verification any purchased software hasn't even been used.

The most unfortunate thing of all, though, is the misleading as hell thread title, by an OP who has admitted to creating it that way to stir shit up. Not cool.

Learned a lot about PS hardware from this thread.

Despite it's USB capabilities, I'll happily stick to a DS3 for PS3 gaming, no matter how good the DS4 is.

From this point, I think Sony should make two things clear to everyone - one, how the DS4 can control both a PS3 and 4 even accidentally, and two, how and where to implement the password prompt for PSN purchases.

While it'd be nice of Sony to do a refund, I can see why they wouldn't. It's sort of an interesting grey area, but I honestly don't think it would be smart to have two systems simultaneously on, that can both be controlled by one controller in-hand, and not check to see if both are being simultaneously affected. I'd hope curiosity would make people check that out somehow before using a DS4.

eznark

Banned
It's hilarious really, but at the same time a pretty horrible system flaw, and it's absurd that Sony aren't refunding this, especially when their system seems to allow for licenses to be revoked so the purchase could just be reversed and access to the game removed.

Buy me some shit on PSN I don't want if old.

The Dual Shock 4 controlling the PS4 is a system flaw now??

Zenaku

The point of the matter is, what I think everyone in here is basically trying to saying is, Sony is not obligated. Not that they shouldn't.

Can they issue the refund? Yes
Do they have to? No.
Does it matter if they don't lose a sale? Obviously it doesn't.
Is it right? Possibly not.
Is this a Sony only issue? Definitely not.

We all aren't dumb and realize that yes, the idea of them issuing a refund is a non issue, they lose nothing (as far as we know) and is something of good faith (seeing as the op didn't know) . It's something that does not hurt them in anyway.

.. But we also understand that sometimes certain faults should be taken into accountability before pointing fingers at who should be at fault. All of this could of been avoided by playing the game as advertised, on the system as advertised, on the controller it was advertised to be played with.
For the affected guys living in the UK, Sony has to, actually. They're breaking law by refusing.

Tripolygon

Banned
Learned a lot about PS hardware from this thread.

Despite it's USB capabilities, I'll happily stick to a DS3 for PS3 gaming, no matter how good the DS4 is.

From this point, I think Sony should make two things clear to everyone - one, how the DS4 can control both a PS3 and 4 even accidentally, and two, how and where to implement the password prompt for PSN purchases.
You don't have to, just simply disable the connection between the DS4 and PS4 and or turn off your DS4 and PS4 before you connect it to PS3 via USB.

StuBurns

Banned
For the affected guys living in the UK, Sony has to, actually. They're breaking law by refusing.
I'm pretty sure they're not, this is the legal requirement for issuing refunds in the UK.
You must offer a full refund if an item’s faulty, not as described or doesn’t do what it’s supposed to.
Is the item faulty? No.
Is it not as described? No.
Does it fail to perform as intended? No.

Joni

Canceling a digital download

Although digital downloads are purchased online, your right to getting a refund on a download is a bit of a grey area.

The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations apply to goods and services, but it’s currently uncertain as to whether digital downloads such as ebooks or MP3s are goods or services - or something else entirely.

The general view is they're probably a service; the Distance Selling Regulations usually give you seven working days starting the day after you agree to buy the service to cancel the contract and get your money back.

You can though, agree to waive those cancellation rights if you want the service delivered straight away rather than waiting.

If you make a mistake with a download purchase – for example, if you purchase the wrong ebook or version of an MP3 track - you may not be entitled to a refund.
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/can-i-get-a-refund-on-a-digital-download

So why are people leaving their ps4 on while using the ps3?

I share the power cable and Ethernet between the two so when I'm using one the other is unplugged.

This is a pretty silly thread title. It implies the game itself to be responsible for purchases with some devious method. "Sony refusing refunds to people whose copies of Dark Souls II bought stuff from PSN" is a little different from what actually happened, namely, Sony refusing refunds to people whose negligent use of DualShock 4 caused accidental purchases.

A large corporation not having some sort of refund policy is unacceptable in 2014. Charge back with your credit card and get your money back.

Obviously with games, you wouldn't want a simple "full refund if returned within a month no questions asked" type policy, but you'll want some sort of policy where mistakes can be corrected. Some people will take advantage of the system, but Sony can keep track of the returns each account is doing. Sony would lose some money due to fraud, but it's worth it to have better customer satisfaction.

Well if it's the law there then that is something they have to take into account period. That would be very asshole of Sony to not issue a refund if it states so by LAW. There's no defending or arguing that.

In America, it is stated upon purchase, the refund policy so people know ahead of time what they are signing up for. It how companies here avoid getting sued. It fucked up but sometimes you can understand why you need to. Some of the people I've seen walking in stores with the whole "Customer is always right" mantra is really really unnecessary.

Wolfe

It's unfortunate that the user affected had his PS4 already turned on while playing on his PS3.
It's more unfortunate that his reason was to allow the PS4 to download content, which it is perfectly capable of doing in standby mode.
It is yet even more unfortunate that this user, like many I'm sure, either did not think to enable password-protected purchases or even realize that was an option.
Adding to the unfortunateness is the ability to take just a few seconds de-coupling the DS4 from the PS4, not utilized here.

This mountain of unfortunatism tells me: password-protected purchases should be the default, users really should rtfm, and while Sony may not be obligated to issue a refund, they really should upon verification any purchased software hasn't even been used.

The most unfortunate thing of all, though, is the misleading as hell thread title, by an OP who has admitted to creating it that way to stir shit up. Not cool.

This is how I feel about this thread/situation as well. Hell I even reread the title a few times before entering trying to figure out what the fuck he was talking about, didn't enjoy seeing him reference the thread title and that it was misleading right in his post only to be followed by "but you're here now anyway".

Cmon.

exfatal

See someone gets it.. Sony isn't obligated to issue a refund, but should they i think so and so do a lot of people in here as well.

_hekk05

Banned
Maybe an update can introduce a password setting when you are setting up your PS4 for the first time in the future.

I can guarantee most will just skip it though lol

Ranger X

I don't know why people here are defending Sony or the guy based on flux, anecdotal bullshit or rules from other stores. Nothing of that is having precedence or should tell you how Sony should work. Base your reasons on tangible stuff.

Personally I think Sony should refund here. And its very simple why. Because the PS4 controller is apparently badly designed here. If you sink the controller with the PS3, it should not stay synched with anything else. Basically, you expect a piece of hardware like that to be synched to ONE machine at the time. What is the fucking use to control 2 consoles at the same time?? Do you really think its smart design and Sony went in the design room going "hey, we will make so the controller controls everything at the same fucking time because it will let the player be able to do x, y, z, and that's awesome!"
I mean common. Obviously its a very shitty design flaw. And Sony should refund the guy because of their own design flaw. The customer there didn't have bad intentions or didn't cheat. Its fair. And its not hard to refund those couple of games bought by mistake.

Zach

The topic title seems misleading to me. I don't understand why this is Sony's fault. If I did this, I would be a little upset but my reaction would be "god, I'm an idiot."

Tripolygon

Banned
I don't know why people here are defending Sony or the guy based on flux, anecdotal bullshit or rules from other stores. Nothing of that is having precedence or should tell you how Sony should work. Base your reasons on tangible stuff.

Personally I think Sony should refund here. And its very simple why. Because the PS4 controller is apparently badly designed here. If you sink the controller with the PS3, it should not stay synched with anything else. Basically, you expect a piece of hardware like that to be synched to ONE machine at the time. What is the fucking use to control 2 consoles at the same time?? Do you really think its smart design and Sony went in the design room going "hey, we will make so the controller controls everything at the same fucking time because it will let the player be able to do x, y, z, and that's awesome!"
I mean common. Obviously its a very shitty design flaw. And Sony should refund the guy because of their own design flaw. The customer there didn't have bad intentions or didn't cheat. Its fair. And its not hard to refund those couple of games bought by mistake.
The DS4 DOES NOT sync with anything but a PS4. Also, connection to PS4 should always take precedence over any other connections.

Top Bottom