• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People and their masks

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Wha?

Wearing the mask is very annoying I refuse to believe anybody enjoys wearing them and I think there is more potential damage to be done by wearing a mask as well. People seem to think it'll stop them getting covid 19.. it won't. It'll make people complacent and forget the social distancing and hygiene part.

It's ONE of the things including social distancing, washing hands regular etc that can help keep it from spreading to others.

Once I'm told to not wear a mask again it's going in the bin.

You're gonna get sick at some point in the future from something, you're probably going to give it to someone else.
That's life.

Not saying you but.. this covid shit is going to create a legion of paranoid germaphobes in the future with mental health issues.

Eh, I don't believe that. The ones that ignore social distancing rules are always the ones not wearing masks when I go out.

Whether you wear a mask directly ties into how seriously you take COVID19 and how much consideration you have for others.

Mask wearing in Asian countries when you are sick is considered a courtesy, they don't spend 365 days in the year with some shit wrapped around their face.

Pay me like a doctor and I'll wear a mask like a doctor.

PSWs also wear masks for their entire shift. How about if we pay you like a PSW?

And wow, look at all these sick people in Tokyo:
F8oIfqd.jpg

hHwUjCQ.jpg

Last edited:

frostyxc

It's 100% psychological.

Yes, it's 100% psychological that masks are some sort of magic talisman that shields wearer from all invisible threats. Do they mitigate the transmission? Probably. By how much? No one seems to fricking know. Conflicting report after conflicting report. Where was this mask concern for the flu, which takes kids out at a far greater level? Where were masks for the first two-plus months of this pandemic? Outside of the bang-up job of killing the elderly all at once in New England, people weren't dropping left and right when masks were a novelty.

And for me, it is somewhat physical. I wear the thing in the grocery store for 20 minutes, then when I take the mask off, my lips and chin are looking glazed like I went down on Jaime Pressly for three hours. I don't want to get mobbed by any bored housewife within 10 miles thinking I've got those kind of talents! It's too much pressure...

mekes

I’m done with masks but will still wear a covering. I wore 3m n95 masks for a while, never whilst out in public as my area has been quite quiet since this whole thing started. But I did wear them at work and when visiting shops. They are uncomfortable and leave face markings. I get why somebody would choose to wear one and I don’t begrudge anybody using them as I don’t know their circumstances. I imagine most are wearing them for others sakes as much as their own. But now I’m just using a neck gaiter with an insert for pm2.5 filters as it’s much more comfortable and generally easier.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I’ve been wearing a mask every time I go into a store or any public gathering for at least a couple of weeks.

Guess what? Im at home sick with a head cold. I don’t have any symptoms specific to the rona so I’m not going to get tested. Plus, I’ve got sick days to burn right now so that’s what I’m going to do.

if the mask didn’t stop my head cold...

Last edited:

MastAndo

At this point, it's nothing more than a courtesy to others for me. I'll throw one on when I'm around strangers in an enclosed area, but it's in my pocket otherwise. It's no big thing for me to do my due diligence when around people I don't know.

That said, the same media outlets that tell me I should permanently glue this thing to my face is the same media that has made no mention that it might be a bad idea to dance shoulder-to-shoulder in the street to chase away the police. That tells me all I need to know. As a NY'er, we've been fed tons of inconsistent bullshit about this, and I've about had it, as has basically everyone I know.

Elcid

Banned
Yes, it's 100% psychological that masks are some sort of magic talisman that shields wearer from all invisible threats. Do they mitigate the transmission? Probably. By how much? No one seems to fricking know. Conflicting report after conflicting report. Where was this mask concern for the flu, which takes kids out at a far greater level? Where were masks for the first two-plus months of this pandemic? Outside of the bang-up job of killing the elderly all at once in New England, people weren't dropping left and right when masks were a novelty.

And for me, it is somewhat physical. I wear the thing in the grocery store for 20 minutes, then when I take the mask off, my lips and chin are looking glazed like I went down on Jaime Pressly for three hours. I don't want to get mobbed by any bored housewife within 10 miles thinking I've got those kind of talents! It's too much pressure...
Damn three hours of a good time in my opinion. I don’t wear one at work. My coworkers that come into my office know that so some of them wear them walking in and others don’t.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Eh, I don't believe that. The ones that ignore social distancing rules are always the ones not wearing masks when I go out.

Whether you wear a mask directly ties into how seriously you take COVID19 and how much consideration you have for others.

PSWs also wear masks for their entire shift. How about if we pay you like a PSW?

And wow, look at all these sick people in Tokyo:
F8oIfqd.jpg

hHwUjCQ.jpg

Wow two undated photos, now I'm convinced

GooseMan69

Vermont just introduced a mask mandate on Friday, despite our numbers being significantly lower than the already low number of cases at the peak. Nobody has died in over a month.

Shit is security theater. What are we so fucking afraid of? Why is dying of corona so much worse than the other millions of things that can kill you (many of which are far more likely to kill you, in fact)?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Then buy disposable masks instead of wearing the same one over and over.

And while you're at it, clean your fucking car. Jesus Christ the excuses people will make...
What?
I don't get why this upsets you so much. How does it hurt you if someone decides to wear a mask on their way to the grocery store?

Even if you have disposable masks, it still makes more sense to wear the same mask if you're going out. Some people don't like throwing away money.

Doesn't matter how you well your car is cleaned, it isn't sanitized. If someone doesn't want the inside of their mask to touch the same surface that touches their hands, thats fine.

Last edited:

frostyxc

What's with the deadlines for the masks? If it's the difference between life and death, shouldn't it be immediate? "Oh, masks are definitely what's keeping you from death's door... but you aren't forced to wear them for another two weeks. M'kay?"

Wwg1wga

Let me preface this by saying I'm in Miami.
This mask nonsense is beyond ridiculous at this point.
I understand wearing a mask in stores for whatever reason, mainly because it's mandated or they won't let you in.
I understand wanting to social distance in certain cases.
I had lunch at work the other day with coworkers and we had no masks and sat about 2ft apart.
But when I see idiots jogging in 95+ degree weather with masks on.
When I see a family of four bicycling, the two young children with masks on, again in 95+ degree weather.
At what point does logic kick in? You're fucking outside. Why are you wearing a mask?!
It's so God damn hot and humid outside you can barely breathe without a mask!
I swear some of these articles are beyond ridiculous. They want me to wear a mask to fuck my wife?
They want me to wear a mask indoors around my children?
At what point do I put a mask on my dog because they too can have coronavirus!
Should I mask my 3 month old daughter too?
I put my shit on when I walk through the doors of a store and take that shit off the second I walk out of those doors. Anything else, the CDC and my local government can shove these fucking things up their ass.

The only thing worse than the unscientific mask measures (remember when public health experts said "peaceful protests" were okay?) is the retards who rush in to point at the "mask deniers" with their throbbing CNN/MSNBC talking points in hand.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Mask wearing in Asian countries when you are sick is considered a courtesy, they don't spend 365 days in the year with some shit wrapped around their face.

A lot of Asian people that come overseas do, actually. It's a big thing in England, people discover it when they move to the big cities and get confused as to why half the Chinese people there wear masks every day. Been happening for a long time.

diffusionx

Gold Member
A lot of Asian people that come overseas do, actually. It's a big thing in England, people discover it when they move to the big cities and get confused as to why half the Chinese people there wear masks every day. Been happening for a long time.

Yes, they do it in New York here too. More the older ones though, in my observations.

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
Lol yes please elaborate more on your genius logic. Oh and please tell me your favorite flavor of soylent while you’re at it.

You believe because you are outside that your cough can't reach the person next to you or near you? Maybe ResetERA is right about some NeoGAF posters.

H4ze

This must be the most American thread I have seen in a while.
Hope your fucked up country goes down like the shithole it is, fight me

Elcid

Banned
You believe because you are outside that your cough can't reach the person next to you or near you? Maybe ResetERA is right about some NeoGAF posters.
Why would you be near people? Around my neighborhood I'm never within 10 feet of anyone when I'm walking around.
This must be the most American thread I have seen in a while.
Hope your fucked up country goes down like the shithole it is, fight me
Have you seen Sweden?
It helps to prevent transmission of infections....whats the stupid part?
This could be you, but you playing.
fbc8b0e1d3f417fb8214d98ec6662db7.jpg

Tschumi

the WHO say that you only need to wear masks when spending time in an enclosed space with an infected individual. So yes, when I'm walking alone down a windy street in humid weather i take off my mask, or at least slip my nose out the top.

My mother in law started churning out masks like 6 months ago - she's a Japanese housewife, plenty of time on her hands apparently - and eventually she cracked it for a really great mask which fits well but isn't too hot. Booyah~ unsure what to do with the 50 crap ones piled behind the tv~

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah it's a bit weird but it's not really a big deal. I wear safety glasses at work and although most people who put them on would wanna take them off within 5 minutes - I can't count the number of times I have found myself still wearing them on the way home from work. Try putting clothes on a cat or a dog and you will realise how something we take for granted will drive someone not used to it crazy.

TrainedRage

Banned
I laugh so hard when I see people ALONE in the CAR wearing a mask. Like, what are you doing that for?

Wear it out and about but IN your car while driving by yourself????? The fuck???

I have been riding my motorcycle around more and more and just started leaving my helmet on when I go in to grab some take out or some beers etc. People seem to like it.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I laugh so hard when I see people ALONE in the CAR wearing a mask. Like, what are you doing that for?

Wear it out and about but IN your car while driving by yourself????? The fuck???

I have been riding my motorcycle around more and more and just started leaving my helmet on when I go in to grab some take out or some beers etc. People seem to like it.

I work in a healthcare facility and I catch myself doing it all the time mainly just because I'm used to wearing it all day long I just forget to take it off on my way home or something.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Again, you do realize people are Usually heading To a destination when they’re in their car? It doesn’t take a lot of imagination to figure out why people might wear a mask in their car.

TrainedRage

Banned
Again, you do realize people are Usually heading To a destination when they’re in their car? It doesn’t take a lot of imagination to figure out why people might wear a mask in their car.
You cant have it sitting beside you while driving? Then easily slip it on when out and about?
Like are people worried about COVID coming in through the car vents and getting them? Why bother? Its a pain in the ass, makes it harder to breathe and is annoying as fuck.

I mean do what ever but im gonna laugh every time I see it.

Tschumi

I just wanna clarify what i said in my earlier thread, although i made it sound like the who say i rarely need to wear it, i wear it regardless, any and every time i am in a public building or on a crowded street. Why? Because it isn't hard, better be safe than sorry. People in Japan wear masks half the year, anyway.

You guys with these well developed, wisenheimer reasons not to wear masks, you should realise that wearing a mask isn't a political statement, it's just the responsible thing to do during an unprecedented pandemic. Especially when your country is straight up pulsing with the virus.

Mohonky

This could be you, but you playing.
fbc8b0e1d3f417fb8214d98ec6662db7.jpg
Because it seems to hard for people to understand.....

The virus is transmitted via droplets and contact with the virus itself. Coughing, sneezing etc.

Another method is contact with a surface or object that the virus has come into contact with. People on average touch their face roughly 20 times an hour. If you have touched a surface where the virus is (current study suggests up to 72hrs on some surfaces) you can inadvertently touch a surface and then your face where you can then breathe it in.

If that's to hard for you to work out I don't know what to say; unless you're still stuck in the 19th Century and suspect viruses are just an act of God, I don't know what to tell you.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
You cant have it sitting beside you while driving? Then easily slip it on when out and about?
Like are people worried about COVID coming in through the car vents and getting them? Why bother? Its a pain in the ass, makes it harder to breathe and is annoying as fuck.

I mean do what ever but im gonna laugh every time I see it.

It's easier to leave it on. If you hit the breaks, the masks goes flying if its sitting beside you. If its on your face, you don't need to worry about it.

Laugh away I guess.

Last edited:
I have no problems wearing one and comply with most requests (stores in particular). Not happy about it being increasingly forced though; what'll be next?

TrainedRage

Banned
It's easier to leave it on. If you hit the breaks, the masks goes flying if its sitting beside you. If its on your face, you don't need to worry about it.

Laugh away I guess.
So lemme get this right. You are inside your house about to go to the grocery store...
You put your mask on IN the house? Because 'its easier to leave on', and keep it on the entire drive to the store?

Why not put it in your pocket so you can enjoy breathing properly without some tight ass mask on for the drive? Its too hard to pull it out of your pocket and put it on in the parking lot?

LMFAO WTF reasoning is that?

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I still don't quite understand how masks are becoming mandatory as numbers go down but it was not considered important in March, April, May, June....now that numbers are declining all of a sudden it's important everyone remain afraid.

lock2k

Banned
I admit I kinda enjoy it when I go to the supermarket dressed like fucking Scorpion and staring deeply into people's eyes like a Velociraptor looking at dinner. :messenger_beaming:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
So lemme get this right. You are inside your house about to go to the grocery store...
You put your mask on IN the house? Because 'its easier to leave on', and keep it on the entire drive to the store?

Why not put it in your pocket so you can enjoy breathing properly without some tight ass mask on for the drive? Its too hard to pull it out of your pocket and put it on in the parking lot?

LMFAO WTF reasoning is that?

A lot of people live in apartment buildings and do have to wear a mask when they step into the elevator. It makes more sense to put it on before you leave the home.

The mask would get crumpled in your pocket, and you increase the chances you would tear it or touch its interior with dirty hands if you put it in your pocket. People don't always have access to hand sanitizer - what you're saying would increase the risk of you contaminating your mask. I would never put a mask in my pocket due to the contamination risk - once that mask is off my face, it needs to be replaced with a new one.

I wear masks for a living and have done so for years. They don't cause me to have any difficulty breathing. You should probably give up the cigarettes if you're that worried about your breathing.

Again, feel free to laugh. It seems obvious to me the problem is you just don't appreciate how stupid your own ideas are.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I still don't quite understand how masks are becoming mandatory as numbers go down but it was not considered important in March, April, May, June....now that numbers are declining all of a sudden it's important everyone remain afraid.
Because numbers are rising again and we're trying to open the economy. For all your talk about government officials conspiring to destroy our way of life, you sure seem to have an issue with them trying to open things back up.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I feel the same way about people that wear socks+sandals. But then I'm like, what am I gay? I mean the fashion police?

JSoup

Banned

In all honestly, I don't understand why people don't...understand why.
If you were in a room full filling up with poisonous gas that can kill quickly and you have a gas mask on hand, you'd put it on, yes?
You have two options of when to take the mask off:
1. When the poisonous gas has cleared out to a point where there is a less than 1% concentration of it in the room. It's still there, just in such a low amount that it's manageable enough to move on, perhaps use other methods to deal with what's left.
2. At any point before the previous sentence, where there is still a higher quantity of gas in the room. There is less than there was when you started, yes, but it's still lethal as hell and you are, at most, prolonging your horrible death by hours.

Now replace every instance of the word 'gas' or 'poisonous gas' with 'covid-19', and every instance of the word 'room' with 'the whole goddamn planet'.

Nymphae

Banned
If you were in a room full filling up with poisonous gas that can kill quickly and you have a gas mask on hand, you'd put it on, yes?

There were no mask mandates for like 5 months, why not if it has always been an obviously no brainer move? I have a hard time believing it's more important to wear now than during any time earlier this year.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
There were no mask mandates for like 5 months, why not if it has always been an obviously no brainer move? I have a hard time believing it's more important to wear now than during any time earlier this year.
Cases are rising. People are trying to open up the economy. Doesn't take a genius to put one and one together. Its almost as if you want this thing to drag on forever.

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned

I'm going to assume good faith and believe you aren't being intentionally disingenuous here, but that's not how it went. Masks were being suggested at step damn one and no one was listening. It was literally:
"I suggest everyone please wear masks."
"I repeat, I suggest everyone please wear masks."
"Please wear masks."
"Please wear masks."
"Are you people deaf, dumb or both? This is getting more and more serious, please wear masks."
"Fine, you dumb children, we're demanding you wear a mask."
"And now the state is saying do it, so do it."
"And now businesses are saying do it or get out, so do it."
"And now police can arrest your ass for not doing it, did we really need to go this far? Are you people really this fucking stupid?

......that came out way more colorful than I intended, I'm sorry.
But yes, it's been suggested with more and more urgency since the start and now it's a demand because it's big push time to get this shit under control.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
For the record, the CDC recommended mask use at the beginning of April. They didn't wait 5 months. You just ignored them for that long.

Last edited:
Top Bottom