• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People and their masks

TrainedRage

Banned
A lot of people live in apartment buildings and do have to wear a mask when they step into the elevator. It makes more sense to put it on before you leave the home.

The mask would get crumpled in your pocket, and you increase the chances you would tear it or touch its interior with dirty hands if you put it in your pocket. People don't always have access to hand sanitizer - what you're saying would increase the risk of you contaminating your mask. I would never put a mask in my pocket due to the contamination risk - once that mask is off my face, it needs to be replaced with a new one.

I wear masks for a living and have done so for years. They don't cause me to have any difficulty breathing. You should probably give up the cigarettes if you're that worried about your breathing.

Again, feel free to laugh. It seems obvious to me the problem is you just don't appreciate how stupid your own ideas are.

So people who don't wear masks in the car are stupid? You sir are a meme and a jackass. I hope you appreciate THAT. Im not worried about catching COVID from my cars AC. But you do you.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
So people who don't wear masks in the car are stupid? You sir are a meme and a jackass. I hope you appreciate THAT. Im not worried about catching COVID from my cars AC. But you do you.
I'm fairly certain you aren't reading what I'm posting.

It's not about catching COVID from your cars AC. I've already explicitly said thats not why people wear it., and given good examples of why people do it. Your only responses have been laughing and name calling. No one is actually worried about getting COVID while driving in their car. You seem to be intent on pushing that narrative as opposed to trying to actually understand why people wear masks in their vehicles. Try putting yourself in someone elses shoes and actually understand why they do something rather than jumping to conclusions.

The issue is regarding proper donning and doffing of face masks. Most people don't have a safe way to do that, or if they do it expends unnecessary hand sanitizer or wastes masks that could potentially be reused. By taking the mask off in your car, you risk contaminating its inner surface if it flies off onto the ground. I don't know if you've ever actually tried resting a light piece of paper on your cars seat, but it doesn't take a very hard brake to have it fall. By putting it in your pocket, you will likely contaminate it by reaching in and grabbing it with your hands unless you are very dilligent with hand sanitization.

Early on in the pandemic, some people warned that masking may actually increase the risk of transmission because members of the public do not know how to wear masks appropriately. Your ignorance is a prime example of that. A mask should stay on until it is no longer required, then be removed and discarded with hand sanitization during both donning and doffing. In the case of a reusable mask, it should be washed. Donning and doffing the mask while out in public is usually not sanitary. I'm just setting the record straight on how you should wear a mask. Ignore it if you wish.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
OK, i apologise for that comment. Sometimes I get carried away. The rest of my post still stands.
Just FYI I keep a plastic sealed case of masks in my car. They are secure, wont fall on the floor, even if they do they are in a case. I put one on in public toss it when im back in the car. And yes I wash my hands.
Also I don't smoke cigarettes.

gatti-man

Worry less about people masking too much and worry more about people that don’t mask at all. You’re in Florida the embarrassment of the country when it comes to Covid 19. If anyone should know the value of wearing masks it should be someone living in your state. Or just look at texas. Ever since a mandatory mask mandate our numbers have platued and begun to fall

Last edited:

Durask

Oh boy, so you folks are anti-mask too, eh?

I am not, wanted to wear a mask years before covid. Always envied how in Asian countries you could wear a mask outside or on a plane and no one will bat an eye.

I utterly hate getting colds - colds just disable me for several days, my nose runs like a faucet and I can't breathe, so I have to use Afrin (can't stand having my nose stuffed) - once got hooked on Afrin and was a long and unpleasant process getting off it.

So I'd rather wear a mask whenever there is a cold/flu season and I'l lbe in a place with lots of people such as subway, malls, airplanes, etc.

Aarbron

Do authorities ok underwear as a mask? They do here:messenger_medmask:

mask-.jpg

🤦‍♂️

iorek21

People treating masks as some kind of Holy Water against a demon is outright stupid.

Here in my country, police are even fining people for not using masks, charging something around 500 bucks.

COVID hysteria is worse than COVID

Elcid

Banned
Look if we can’t agree on the fact that masks are unnecessary can we at least agree they look dorky as fuck? I’m not going to risk looking uncool if I don’t have to! Amirite TrainedRage TrainedRage

foxGlove

Neo Member
huh, I wonder why the Asians are okay with wearing masks but the west is not too keen.
cultural differences perhaps?

HeLurks

Banned
People treating masks as some kind of Holy Water against a demon is outright stupid.

[...]

Stuff like this really rustles my jimmies. No one does that! There is no craze about it. No one thinks masks are a cure-all-remedy against the Rona. They are just common sense. Riisk management. Like seatbelts. Or insurances. Or waiting until the green light, before crossing the street. During the current pandemic they are a cheap, nearly effortless way to reduce risk. Not negate it, not cure it. They are not a silver bullet, but when used broadly, a mighty tool. The virus only lives in people. And it is spread by droplets out of our filthy mouth- and nose-holes. And covering those is stupid?

Last edited:

Belgorim

Stuff like this really rustles my jimmies. No one does that! There is no craze about it. No one thinks masks are a cure-all-remedy against the Rona. They are just common sense. Riisk management. Like seatbelts. Or insurances. Or waiting until the green light, before crossing the street. During the current pandemic they are a cheap, nearly effortless way to reduce risk. Not negate it, not cure it. They are not a silver bullet, but when used broadly, a mighty tool. The virus only lives in people. And it is spread by droplets out of our filthy mouth- and nose-holes. And covering those is stupid?
There is still no evidence they actualy work in a population. Seat belts are not the same thing. Masks in a population could very well lead to bad behavior and thus making people go places and be closer to people than they should. There has been no measurable effect between different places in netherlands and germany that went with and without masks.

None of the nordic countries use masks either.

Elcid

Banned
Yes? In a most of the specific scenarios I already mentioned, yes it is stupid.

Last edited:

HeLurks

Banned
Well, in retail and public transportation I do not nee
[...] Masks in a population could very well lead to bad behavior and thus making people go places and be closer to people than they should. [...]

Hey thanks fot that point. I had not thought about viewing it that way, but am still very much pro-mask, since in a lot of cases close contact with other people is unavoidable - inddor-environments in retail, offices, public agencys and such, public transportation, There I am happy about everyone wearing a mask and am proud of my german fellows to pretty much all respect the mask-mandate in those places.

When it comes to bad behavious - and this is anectodal - I see this not among mask-wearers. I see it nearly exclusively among people without masks. Partying, hugging, mingling in big groups.

In the end, for me, masks absolutley make sense. If a person is carrying the virus and shedding it, unbeknownst to said person since the symptoms might not yet set in or will not at all, I want this person to wear a mask, when it is sitting next to me in the subway or shopping in the same store like me. And do I trust our public to do that voluntarily? Hell, no! And that is why I am happy about our mask-mandate nationwide. Thank god, germans love their rules! ;-)

Nymphae

Banned
Has anyone even proven asymptomatic spreading yet? Sounds like complete BS to me. If I'm not symptomatic (no sneezing, coughing, etc.), how are droplets being spread?

I love how people think US is the only country in the world. News flash, people wore masks decades before COVID in Asia and plenty of Asian countries are humid like Vietnam, Indonesia, Cambodia, Japan and Korea during summer etc. They wear masks on a daily basis and some even during jogging. The only ignorant person here is the one that has a problem with that. While you are having your mind blown why people do that on 95 degrees, in Vietnam since COVID started, there has been 438 cases...not 438.000. FOUR HUNDRED AND THIRTY EIGHT and ZERO deaths. So you keep asking yourself those stupid questions, thinking about yourself almighty and educated while the US is a shitshow, 600 deaths a day that cant stop COVID because of people thinking the way you do.

Its proven, read about it. Surgical masks let you still breethe in 100 oxygen so all those excuses how you cant breath underneath one, grow a pair.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
This entire COVID situation and the mask fear mongering is fucking embarrassing.

Humans are embarrassing right now.

People can shove those masks up their ass for all I care.

I don't give a fuck about COVID/mask virtue signalling.

Last edited:

HeLurks

Banned
Has anyone even proven asymptomatic spreading yet? Sounds like complete BS to me. If I'm not symptomatic (no sneezing, coughing, etc.), how are droplets being spread?

Whelp ... for examble in the Webasto factory, our first cluster in Germany: One employee sitting back to back with another one, showing no symptoms. Person 1 had no salt, so turned around and asked the second, infected person for the salt. He got hit salt. And covid 19. he and is family and children. This was back in january. A study investigated the whole cluster in detail and was published in may 2020.

I quote from the abstract:
"Although patients in our study presented with predominately mild, non-specific symptoms, infectiousness before or on the day of symptom onset was substantial. Additionally, the incubation period was often very short and false-negative tests occurred. These results suggest that although the outbreak was controlled, successful long-term and global containment of COVID-19 could be difficult to achieve."

HeLurks

Banned
Not buying it. What is the mechanism.

Well, droplets from the mucus membranes of mouth and nose. Even before you get symptoms, the virus is presennt there and can get expelled via mouth and nose. Most via coughing and sneezing, but evidently also by speaking.. Never seen someone have a moist way of talking? Or think about how far away you can smell someone exhaling his vape with that crazy fruit smell. People literaly breathe out the virus. That is the reason indoors places are so infectious, especially care homes, prisons, cruise ships, where people are pretty much forced to breathe the same air. :-(

Nymphae

Banned
Well, droplets from the mucus membranes of mouth and nose. Even before you get symptoms, the virus is presennt there and can get expelled via mouth and nose. Most via coughing and sneezing, but evidently also by speaking.. Never seen someone have a moist way of talking? Or think about how far away you can smell someone exhaling his vape with that crazy fruit smell. People literaly breathe out the virus. That is the reason indoors places are so infectious, especially care homes, prisons, cruise ships, where people are pretty much forced to breathe the same air. :-(

Like I said I don't buy that an asymptomatic person is infecting people simply by breathing, I'll need a lot more than your one link to prove to me this is possible and something people need to worry about if they are physically distancing and washing up regularly.

HeLurks

Banned
Fair enough, but well. I am in the "better safe than sorry camp" and believe just that. And I guess I have argued enough about that here.

But please consider the possibility that maybe you might be mistaken.

Cheers!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I'm legitimately curious if someone is going to come in here and defend this stupidity.
Don't know, but many of the Europeans countries are out of lockdown, which is not really something which can be said about "free-est country". Society can only goes if most of the people with level above 90 obey certain things, which hardly limit them in any way.

And lets be honest, most of the people look better with half face covered. And no I don't meant in a way of Saudi Arabia. Both genders for change.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Don't know, but many of the Europeans countries are out of lockdown, which is not really something which can be said about "free-est country". Society can only goes if most of the people with level above 90 obey certain things, which hardly limit them in any way.

And lets be honest, most of the people look better with half face covered. And no I don't meant in a way of Saudi Arabia. Both genders for change.

Oh it will be back

Europeans on the internet declared victory way too soon. There's no escaping this thing, it will come to you no matter what. We're all gonna get it, if we haven't already.

M1chl

Oh it will be back

Europeans on the internet declared victory way too soon. There's no escaping this thing, it will come to you no matter what. We're all gonna get it, if we haven't already.
Germans are retards (in this regard), they don't issued government wide mask wearing, so they suffered a lot of cases. Also they kept crossing our borders like it's a WW3, cause we had all the supplies needed.

I did not declare anything, I am just saying, that USA approach mainly from the people it's weird, you wearing that shit for your/your relatives safety. But hurr durr "free country", "I take no shit, from no government". But most Americans I know are self-entitled arrogant humans, most of them are on the "respectful" left, true, but I've heard that I am pussy for wearing mask. But I am post-transplant, so ehh, I don't want to die.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Germans are retards (in this regard), they don't issued government wide mask wearing, so they suffered a lot of cases. Also they kept crossing our borders like it's a WW3, cause we had all the supplies needed.

It doesn't matter man. That's the point. The mask stuff is bullshit. It's a contagious virus. It's spreading everywhere no matter what, until immunity builds up in the population, via natural causes or vaccine.

It's just useless shit people want to do so they can pretend like they have control over a situation that is inherently uncontrollable.

Last edited:

M1chl

It doesn't matter man. That's the point. The mask stuff is bullshit. It's a contagious virus. It's spreading everywhere no matter what, until immunity builds up in the population, via natural causes or vaccine.
Well, but you can limit it. And that's the point. Asians wear mask on daily basis and I don't think anyone have problem with them. And if mask stuff would be bullshit, doctors would not used them for centuries. They are obviously not full protection, but I think that every little bit helps. But you have to have society with some morals and resposibility to yourself, fellow citizens. Because as far as I know in South Korea, most of the cases can be linked to one person who spread his covid freely.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
It amazes me how society will let itself get beat down by corporations and government but ask them to do something to protect their own health and suddenly they want to rebel.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Well, but you can limit it. And that's the point. Asians wear mask on daily basis and I don't think anyone have problem with them. And if mask stuff would be bullshit, doctors would not used them for centuries. They are obviously not full protection, but I think that every little bit helps. But you have to have society with some morals and resposibility to yourself, fellow citizens. Because as far as I know in South Korea, most of the cases can be linked to one person who spread his covid freely.

California has had a mask mandate since June 18th (when cases started increasing, weirdly 1-2 weeks after the protests). California is a lefty state full of people who will happily do whatever the government tells them. That is almost six weeks of a very strict mask mandate, stricter than New York. Now I don’t know to what extent the official case counts are because of more testing or what, but let’s assume test counts have been relatively consistent so all the case numbers since then are on the same basis.

So case counts have exploded since June 18th. If masks were as effective as people claim, I would think that there would be a plummeting in case counts around early July. This should be obvious right? As soon as people start wearing masks, the virus can’t spread in the same way, that’s what they say.

Well, it has not happened - not even close. Now I don’t live in California. I don’t know how many people are actually wearing masks the way they’re supposed to. I have a feeling compliance is high, though, and stores all mandate it before you walk in. I have a feeling lots of people were wearing masks before June 18th, as well. Yet case counts continue to explode. For all this talk about muh droplets and muh fellow man, we’re just not seeing the expected impacts in wide scale macro data. But I haven’t seen a single person explain why case counts continue to increase, if masks are supposed to be effective in “stopping the spread.” Instead, what they do is find one video of one irate boomer in one supermarket and blame everything on them.

Last edited:
People should where masks in indoor public areas for the health of everyone, obviously the density of people in the area should come into play.
If i'm by myself in my car, i don't where a mask, that's kinda silly, but if I'm taking public transportation or know im gonna be in close proximity to people, I wear it. Better to be safe than sorry.
My wife and I went to beach this past weekend, some people wore masks, some people didn't. We didn't wear masks at that time, but we didnt have people in our face either. Everyone there was with there little groups or couples with some distancing in between. It wasn't enforced social distancing, just people don't know each other giving each other space as normal.
The problem lies in placed such as Miami where people want to have parties on the beach, where everyone is literally within 1 to 2 feet of one another partying. Or people in bars and clubs where they can be packed with people in pretty close proximity to one another.
I'm from New York, so public mandate of masks a kinda necessary given how dense the population is and how many people just walk the streets and take public transportation. I would imagine outside of New York, most places aren't as densely packed, making a public outdoor mandate pretty pointless.

M1chl

California has had a mask mandate since June 18th (when cases started increasing, weirdly 1-2 weeks after the protests). California is a lefty state full of people who will happily do whatever the government tells them. That is almost six weeks of a very strict mask mandate, stricter than New York. Now I don’t know to what extent the official case counts are because of more testing or what, but let’s assume test counts have been relatively consistent so all the case numbers since then are on the same basis.

So case counts have exploded since June 18th. If masks were as effective as people claim, I would think that there would be a plummeting in case counts around early July. This should be obvious right? As soon as people start wearing masks, the virus can’t spread in the same way, that’s what they say.

Well, it has not happened - not even close. Now I don’t live in California. I don’t know how many people are actually wearing masks the way they’re supposed to. I have a feeling compliance is high, though, and stores all mandate it before you walk in. I have a feeling lots of people were wearing masks before June 18th, as well. Yet case counts continue to explode. For all this talk about muh droplets and muh fellow man, we’re just not seeing the expected impacts in wide scale macro data. But I haven’t seen a single person explain why case counts continue to increase, if masks are supposed to be effective in “stopping the spread.”
What is mandated? It means that there is some form of enforcement? Because here you would get hefty fine (half of average monthly salary) if you do not wear mask. Since mask were sewed here, because it was not enough of them readily available. And it helped, plain and simple, now open borders obviously worsen the number of causes. But masks are not enforced anymore.

Here is something which was dubbed in Czech also, which ran in TV (in a different cut)

Also everyone in TV wore masks and even dumb gipsies wore them. I think if we would still be isolated (closed borders) situation would be ok.

And look, I am post transplant so my views are skewed, I am glad that this was enforced, because without it, I would have to sit home and do nothing. The masks situation gaves me relative freedom. Well from my point of view, normal freedom, because I had to wore mask since May 2019.

diffusionx

Gold Member
What is mandated? It means that there is some form of enforcement? Because here you would get hefty fine (half of average monthly salary) if you do not wear mask. Since mask were sewed here, because it was not enough of them readily available. And it helped, plain and simple, now open borders obviously worsen the number of causes. But masks are not enforced anymore.

How do you know it helped? From what I've read of your country, it locked down early and tight. If there were few cases in the beginning, that could just as easily explain it. The few cases burned out without opportunities to spread, and the lockdown meant little introduction of other cases from outside. New York hit its peak and was declining before widespread mask usage. And sorry to say, COVID will come back to your country, and your population will have little immunity. In fact, cases seem to be going up already.

Last edited:
Top Bottom