• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People are streaming "shows" via PS4 twitch..

Sony and Twitch really need to do something about this. The kids being harassed by the stream chat is absolutely unacceptable. As cool as the idea of streaming Playroom is, it needs to have heavy control put onto it. Parental controls, etc.

For the most part, I don't think twitch stream monsters on PC should be able to comment on people's streams. PSN IDs should be required on Twitch if you're on PS4. And only PS4 users should be able to leave comments. Users that are sick freaks like the ones shown in that pic with the little kids should be banned on the spot and lose access to PSN. There needs to be real consequences. And unless strict guidelines are placed, this is not ever going to go well.

Maybe something like this needed to happen to finally get twitch to impose some real consequences in their chats. They let stuff get out of hand and it shows.

Simple: ban Playroom streaming. Everyone wins.

Chun-Li

Simple: ban Playroom streaming. Everyone wins.

What about people who use their camera during gameplay? They have to deal with the same stuff too. It's not just Playroom, which probably should be disabled for streaming due to this behavior. Not just from the streamers, but the comments. Absolutely disgusting.

Screw banning playroom. The feature is actually really neat and I want Sony to embrace it, not shut it down. They should allow you to put up a green screen and do shit with it.

All they need to do is lock the Live from Playstation and viewing video streams behind parental controls completely. Once it's behind parental controls no one has any right to complain. Also needs an option to disable comments.

mattp

Screw banning playroom. The feature is actually really neat and I want Sony to embrace it, not shut it down. They should allow you to put up a green screen and do shit with it.

All they need to do is lock the Live from Playstation and viewing video streams behind parental controls completely. Once it's behind parental controls no one has any right to complain.

sony is banning anything
twitch is blocking the streams because they're against the terms of service on the site

people can stream to ustream all the like

sony is banning anything
twitch is blocking the streams because they're against the terms of service on the site

people can stream to ustream all the like

People are saying Sony should disable streaming of Playroom. I think it's silly to do that because this usage actually has a lot of potential and is neat. If Sony spent some more time developing some production features it could actually be even better. Allow green screens, image/video overlays, etc.

As long as parental controls allow people to control access to it then it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Mondy

Banned
People are saying Sony should disable streaming of Playroom. I think it's silly to do that because this usage actually has a lot of potential and is neat. If Sony spent some more time developing some production features it could actually be even better. Allow green screens, image/video overlays, etc.

As long as parental controls allow people to control access to it then it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Let me start by saying that I'm 100% against Sony blocking streaming on Playroom. I HATE the minority ruining it for the majority.

However what does need to be blocked is the chat window on the stream VIA Twitch.tv, not on the actual PS4. The possibility of young kids being trolled by fuckwits on the internet is just too high. What if a pedophile gets on there and convinces a kid to do something? The shitstorm would be catastrophic.

vilmer_

Exactly. 90% of the Playroom streams are all in good fun. It's unfortunate that 90% of the Twitch userbase/commentators are a bunch of teenagers and once people hit that share button they are suddenly taken away from the game and are in awe of all of the crazy comments coming in at them.

onQ123

If this keeps getting out of hand, we might see Sony block the camera from streaming and only allow game footage/audio.

I have a feeling that Sony is loving the attention that the PlayRoom is getting right now. just look at this thread do you see anything else from the Next Gen consoles with a thread on it's way to a million views in less than 2 weeks & making it's way into the Mainstream News?

The PS4 Camera must be flying off the shelves right now with people trying to be a part of the craziness.

Twitch is selling more PS4 cameras than Just Dance 2014 lol.

It doesn't need to be banned. Twitch is doing enough of a job shutting down bad streams.

Comments should be disabled by default, or at the very least the option to disable should appear before streaming with a warning.

Sadly, companies shouldn't have to do parenting, but we live in a world of idiots.

panty

I didn't watch the stream but what did he do? is this just about having a gun around his kid?
He had a handgun and he showed it to the internet. He did not point the gun at the kid or anything. Aren't guns legal in a lot of places in the US? I'm pretty sure people have a lot of guns there.
when you see some crazy shit like that you don't just ignore it. reported it to the authorities and hopefully they'll track that lowlife piece of shit down.

smh

Let me start by saying that I'm 100% against Sony blocking streaming on Playroom. I HATE the minority ruining it for the majority.

However what does need to be blocked is the chat window on the stream VIA Twitch.tv, not on the actual PS4. The possibility of young kids being trolled by fuckwits on the internet is just too high. What if a pedophile gets on there and convinces a kid to do something? The shitstorm would be catastrophic.

Exactly. 90% of the Playroom streams are all in good fun. It's unfortunate that 90% of the Twitch userbase/commentators are a bunch of teenagers and once people hit that share button they are suddenly taken away from the game and are in awe of all of the crazy comments coming in at them.

Yeah, I agree with both of you. Disabling the comments while streaming or completely disabling streaming should be a parental control option (if it's not already, I'll have to look). If it's ALREADY in the parental controls this is probably a complete non-issue.

Edit:
Subaccount management
Limiting access for minors

If you look in the manual there it seems as if you can completely disable the viewing and sharing features of the console for subaccounts.

So isn't this whole thing a non-issue? The system already has built in parental controls to disable the features which could cause any harm to children. That should be in every single news piece about this.

You can also block twitch and ustream using the browser filtering I think.

I stopped watching Spartan. Got boring really fast. A casual gamer hosting a gaming show doesn't make much sense unless you want to talk about COD all day.

Schrade

Sony and Twitch really need to do something about this. The kids being harassed by the stream chat is absolutely unacceptable. As cool as the idea of streaming Playroom is, it needs to have heavy control put onto it. Parental controls, etc.

For the most part, I don't think twitch stream monsters on PC should be able to comment on people's streams. PSN IDs should be required on Twitch if you're on PS4. And only PS4 users should be able to leave comments. Users that are sick freaks like the ones shown in that pic with the little kids should be banned on the spot and lose access to PSN. There needs to be real consequences. And unless strict guidelines are placed, this is not ever going to go well.

Maybe something like this needed to happen to finally get twitch to impose some real consequences in their chats. They let stuff get out of hand and it shows.

Yep. I agree that the website users should not be allowed to comment unless they are moderators of the channel. Far too many 4chan trolls are in each chat trying to see how far they can make the newbies go.

Twitch needs to add an IRC-like option in the chat for voice. i.e. to be able to turn the chat into a moderated chat and only allow certain people +voice.

Also, there needs to be some major-ass warnings that you are broadcasting to the world and anything in sight of your camera will be seen, including your kids.

Oh and being able to moderate the chat from the PS4 really has to be there from the start otherwise it just immediately becomes a cesspool.

Just for the heads up guys, it seems Twitch is (for now) banning every channel that broadcasts The Playroom. Not sure if it's automatic or not.

panty

Just for the heads up guys, it seems Twitch is (for now) banning every channel that broadcasts The Playroom. Not sure if it's automatic or not.

Yeah I think they're through with Playroom, they won't allow it anymore because of overreactions like this

when you see some crazy shit like that you don't just ignore it. reported it to the authorities and hopefully they'll track that lowlife piece of shit down.

They are not going to change the commenting system just because of Playroom. Sucks for the 99%. Shame.

alterno69

Banned
The idea of only people on PS4 being able to comment is good, that way you could ban users for impromer behaviour. That would be a start, also put the streaming on parental control if it's not already.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Lol every playroom stream is dead/banned even the the spartan show. RIP playroom on twitch, may you live on the glorious laggy site that is ustream.

Carnby

Lol every playroom stream is dead/banned even the the spartan show. RIP playroom on twitch, may you live on the glorious laggy site that is ustream.

Is this news or are you just stating an opinion? Link?

Nevermind, I found it.

Non-Gaming PS4 Twitch Streams Will Be Shut Down
You can talk about games if you don't want to stream them, though.

Twitch streams that do not relate to video games will be moderated and disabled on PlayStation 4, according to the streaming company.

On PS4 and other platforms, Twitch content must focus on gaming content. "FYI: We continue to moderate according to our Terms of Service," Twitch said on Twitter. "Non-gaming content is not allowed. Non-gaming content (c): If using PS4 Playroom, the content must be about games or gaming and within our ToS. Thanks for understanding."

Additionally, if you're not streaming games, you can still talk about them without having your Twitch stream moderated. "Discussing gaming is gaming content," a Twitch representative said. This will also be the case when Twitch streaming comes to Xbox One in 2014. If you'd like to learn how to stream via Twitch on PS4, check out the IGN Twitch wiki guide.

source: IGN

Carnby

Pretty damn sad. I couldn't really stand that show after watching it a couple times but shutting it completely down is pretty harsh. Someone should tweet Yoshida about this.

All that money spartan invested into his show is now a waste. He must be crushed.

There is an easy fix for this. Ban console users from being able to broadcast any video of themselves through Twitch or Ustream. Limit it only to direct feed from the console of the games themselves. Ban everything related to The Playroom.

Sure it's been possible to stream video from your own home PC for more than a decade. But the point is that this is obviously something that shouldn't be in the hands of the average console user.

yup, exactly what i think they should do. there's no reason to see your mug, you can broadcast game footage and your voice, the only thing being able to see you does is let weird shit happen and idiots like spartan think they're jimmy kimmel

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So no more streaming 'shows' on Twitch then? I'm kinda okay with that, but I'd like an actual videostreaming app without the robot/background music, some nice editing things and the option to stream to Ustream.

He's discussing and taking calls about video games (even though his knowledge is rather, limited). That's perfectly fine according to the ToS.

i mean, sort of. from what i watched yesterday, he spent like 20 minutes of having his stupid ps4 camera pointed at ANOTHER PS4 playing some game, which means everything is mirrored and looks like it's recorded by a potato.

then he was actually showing another girl's stream in his stream, again via cam so its backwards, shitty quality, and he didn't even clear it with them to be allowed to do that. as far as actual gaming content there was so little of it. and obv whatever there was of it was just him going 'gee idk man i'll google that and see if i can find out for you' which is ok, but lol.

its just him trying to be jimmy kimmel, i don't see how he shouldn't be on ustream or something. even when he does show gameplay it's like he's only doing it so he can talk about other stuff and sneak around the TOS, he's not like legitimately talking about the games or anything he's just giving his controller to someone else so they can play while he does unrelated stuff, it just seems like trying to tiptoe around the TOS to me

plus the stupid music and robots need to go away, if i'm going to watch more people act like idiots i don't want to do it anymore with that stupid music looping endlessly

It doesn't even matter if they're playing games or not. I saw somebody streaming A Link to the Past via the Playroom (as everything was mirrored on the stream), and even he got banned. So the Playroom can't even be used as a poor man's alternative for streaming games (not sure why anyone would want to do that as everything gets mirrored in the process).

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I went to buy a camera today and my Gamestop, Walmart and Best Buy are sold out... :(

Weirdly this playroom show thing is the best thing that ever could have happened sales wise for the camera. I can't find one at any local stores either.

they didn't ship a lot of cameras, this streaming thing has nothing to do with them being scarce. people were hawking them on ebay along with systems and they didn't ship many that's why they're sold out and mostly have been.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
they didn't ship a lot of cameras, this streaming thing has nothing to do with them being scarce. people were hawking them on ebay along with systems and they didn't ship many that's why they're sold out and mostly have been.

Ah, is that it? I was having a hard time rationalizing that these "shows" moved units because at most there are maybe 10k people watching them but couldn't think of any other reason since there isn't a 'killer app' for it.

Top Bottom