• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People who refuse to play Indie-Games - Why?

Murdamonk

I play "indies" games, as long as it is not those retro 8-bit pixel arts games. Can't stand them.

I don't mind 16-bit ones... but 8-bit pixel arts are so bad.

mujun

I pretty much don't play any game that I can only get 1-5 hours out of.

A lot of indie games happen to fall into that range.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Well with the avalanche of ass games i get normally every month for free on psn+

I for one can understand why people dislike it.
But hey minecraft was an indie..

Have you ever tried greenlight on steam?
Have you ever tried the appstore ios or android?

Its the neverending rain of shit what makes people ignore it.

Just harder to find the gems;)

Well with the avalanche of ass games i get normally every month for free on psn+

I for one can understand why people dislike it.
But hey minecraft was an indie..

Have you ever tried greenlight on steam?
Have you ever tried the appstore ios or android?

Its the neverending rain of shit what makes people ignore it.

Just harder to find the gems;)

It's not at all hard to find the gems if you're willing to spend 5 minutes on google.

Slythe

Is this the "long story short" here? I feel like the main message is someone who'd previously written these games off as just nostalgia actually giving them a chance and finding out they're real, full, rewarding experiences, not just that people like what they're familiar with.

In essence that's the whole problem with the "I don't play indie games" approach - the false assumptions about what indie games are, can be or cannot be.

You're not wrong. Something I left out of this story was the only thing that compelled me to pick up Fez was the three dimensional camera dynamic, which I knew was something I had never seen in a game before. Maybe it isn't so much that people only like what they're familiar with, but rather people are only going to try something if they can connect the dots in their own mind on why they might like it.

Javier23

Banned
Is 'immersive sim' a new term? I swear I'd never heard it before this week and it seems like it's everywhere now.
DEFINITELY not a new concept. Immersive sims have been around for over two decades, mostly on PC, but we pretty much stopped getting any after the original Deus Ex (save for the few highly renowned exceptions) and now with Arkane releasing a couple of great, high-budget, multiplatform ones people are becoming more aware of the genre and its significance.

I play indie games but it is usually years after they come out. There isn't much marketing on them so I usually don't know enough about them to pique my interest. Often times it's through word of mouth from places like GAF that gets me to buy an indie game.

I'm really, really tired of the NES / '8-bit' aesthetic and am at the point where I will completely dismiss a game on sight that looks like something I played 25 years ago, but anything else is fair game and I'm open to.

Considering indie games aren't tied to studios and all the stipulations that come with that I'm disappointed the stuff we see isn't a little more radical in both narrative and design.

Auraela

Banned
In some aapects i class demon souls as an indie game. Its a game that most publishers at the time would probs have rejected due to how games were at the time (qte this qte that brown filter this and bloom the fuck too please) and the general gameplay is what most publishers would say this isnt gonna sell we can't turn this into franchise.

To me that can be classed as indie. People need to get of the idea that a game has to cost a little sum or its not indie

I rather play commercial 16-bit games from 25 years ago than pixelart Indie games because those "real" 16-bit games had a larger budget and thus better leveldesign (and mostly also better graphics, music and sound fx).

OmegaDL50

What's even an indie game nowadays? IIRC, it used to mean games made by independent developers with no publisher involvement but that apparently isn't the case anymore.

That still should be the definition of being "indie" which in itself is shorthand for independant.

In any case, So many people still conflating the definition to some arbitrary subset of pixel graphics games doesn't change the fact of independent developers creating games without a publisher are still technically considered Indie.

The typical gamer who complains or makes statements such as "I don't play / waste my time with indie games", clearly has made up their mind on what they think the term Indie means low-budget low-quality trash.

For the rest I say, go play Divinity: Original Sin, Grim Dawn, or even something like Rocket League and you'll see that low-budget pixel game isn't the only descriptor of that narrow definition on what actually some think constitutes as indie.

I play heaps of indie games. I just won't play anymore 2D pixel-art/faux retro titles. The style has become so played out for me that it's instantly off-putting.

If you don't check itchio everyday and play every submission to every jam you are a certified plebeian and you deserve your plebeian bread

BTW y'all should try 4Ever Transit Authority, it's real good

Morinaga

I think the term "Indie" is misused to describe total shite in many situations. Thats why I think "Indie" games are not viewed well.

Personally a game is a game, but lets face it doesnt matter if its "AAA" or "Indie" if its shit, its shit.

Archanfel

I like a lot of different types of games including "indy". Honestly I've wondered why published "indy" games are still called "indy". Like when Devolver Digital decides a game fits our style lets throw money at them, what is that game now? Is indy published the equivalent of a "B" Movie? Would it be a "B" Game? We need a word to fill this void.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Its simple:

I have no interest in playing games that look like they belong in the 16-bit era.

Before anyone flames me, I understand that not all games are sidescrollers and/or look old, but I just simply have no interest in those games.

However, games like Outlast, Dear Esther etc. I do occasionally play those.

I rather play commercial 16-bit games from 25 years ago than pixelart Indie games because those "real" 16-bit games had a larger budget and thus better leveldesign (and mostly also better graphics, music and sound fx).

A bigger budget doesn't mean better level design. Shovel Knight has expert level design. Super Meat Boy has expert level design.

Shovel Knight is better than like half of the Mega Man games from the NES and SNES.

This also doesn't seem like particularly low budget audio design.

Or this

Or this

And that's just from games I personally like. There's entire indie games dedicated to nothing but music and audio design.

Yeah it doesn't make sense considering the huge variety in genre, scope & budget that indie games include

I'm not particularly interested in 2d platformers or rogue-likes but there's plenty of other games that fall under the 'indie' banner that do interest me including RPGs, visual novels, action-adventure, 3d-platformer, puzzles etc.
Admittedly I don't play as many as I'd like, my main issue is finding out about them in the first place.

I'll still play indie games, Spelunky, Binding of Issac, Braid, Cave Story and Hotline Miami were all great. It's just gotten a lot harder for indie games of their quality to standout when there's such a huge overload of low quality indie games coming out on Stream and consoles now.

Basically it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

In some aapects i class demon souls as an indie game. Its a game that most publishers at the time would probs have rejected due to how games were at the time (qte this qte that brown filter this and bloom the fuck too please) and the general gameplay is what most publishers would say this isnt gonna sell we can't turn this into franchise.

To me that can be classed as indie. People need to get of the idea that a game has to cost a little sum or its not indie
Lmao what

Zia

I just love Content and a pixel art sidescroller made by a two-person team just can't deliver enough Content to rationalize my time and money as a discerning consumer of Content.

Chao

For me it's that most of the indie games I've tried feel like babbys first game.

Like they took an engine -usually Unity- and then started creating assets to make a game that feels extremely familiar.

No matter how weird the art style is, they still feel like the same game to me, and they can't hold my attention for more than half an hour

NeonBlack

The only indie games I can say I played out of enjoyment were Binding Of Isaac, Bastion, and Rocket League.

Everything else just felt kinda empty. The pixel art also doesn't help.

LordRaptor

I just love Content and a linear corridor shooter made by a 900 man development team over 18 months just can't deliver enough Content to rationalise my time and money as a discerning consumer of Content like a roguelike can

proto

The only indie games I can say I played out of enjoyment were Binding Of Isaac, Bastion, and Rocket League.

Everything else just felt kinda empty. The pixel art also doesn't help.

What do you mean by empty exactly?

I like the 'emptiness' of indie games, especially compared with the enormous amount of fluff AAA titles tend to pack into their games.

A bigger budget doesn't mean better level design. Shovel Knight has expert level design. Super Meat Boy has expert level design.

Shovel Knight is better than like half of the Mega Man games from the NES and SNES.

This also doesn't seem like particularly low budget audio design.

Or this

Or this

And that's just from games I personally like. There's entire indie games dedicated to nothing but music and audio design.
Thanks for the insight. I don't know. I just feel empty when I'm playing indies. When I'm playing through a 90s 16-bit game I feel fulfilled, like I'm doing something meaningful. I don't get this feeling with Indies.

You all have still not convinced me. I don't want to play a game for only 3 hours max. Same issue with mobile games. Mobile games aren't real games either. I lump them both together: they are just not deep enough

Roufianos

Lookup "what remains of Edith finch".

It's linear, story focused and a masterpiece. If you like it there's a good bunch of similar games out there like the vanishing of Ethan Carter and blackwood crossing, from which you might try jumping into more "adventurous" territory for you

I would recommend a few based on your comments:

The Fall - a game about an AI suit of armour which crash-lands on an unfamiliar planet and has to protect its critically injured pilot from other AI and the hazards it encounters on the planet. It's a really slick cross between 2.5D shooter and 1990s puzzle game like you would have seen from LucasArts, and it has really great presentation and an interesting story about the nature of AI.

Limbo - a 2D puzzle-platfomer about a lost boy looking for his sister in the afterlife. Very dark and bleak with some excellent environmental puzzles, really interesting imagery and it's perfectly paced and never outstays its welcome.

The Wolf Among Us - if you haven't played any Telltale games, they basically make story-driven adventures that don't have a lot of 'gameplay' outside of pushing the story along. Luckily their writing is usually great and TWAU is perhaps their best game. It's basically about all the fairytale characters like the Big Bad Wolf, Snow White, the Huntsman etc having had to integrate with modern society and sort out societal issues within their own enclave. I think they generally give the first episode of their games away for free, and I would really recommend trying one of them. If you can't play this then try The Walking Dead or Tales from the Borderlands.

Look for the Cosmic Star Heroine Thread. It's a fantastic indie that came out April 11th. Turned based story driven RPG that has the nostalgic feel of Chrono Trigger (especially how the battles are played out) except with a female protagonist.

Edit: Here's a link http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1359357&highlight=cosmic+star

Ok thanks guys, I'm gonna look into those now.

I did play Limbo last gen actually, I actually purchased quite a few XBLA titles. I think what put me off "Indies" was the dramatic increase in the number of them this gen. Less hype for each release and more crap to filter through.

Sakura

The majority of indie games consist of genres that I just am not really interested in.
There are a handful of indie games I've enjoyed but that's about it.

You all have still not convinced me. I don't want to play a game for only 3 hours max. Same issue with mobile games. Mobile games aren't real games either. I lump them both together: they are just not deep enough
Looking at my Steam times...

I have 200 hours in the Binding of Isaac. For some people, this is a laughably small amount as they approach 2000 hours.

I have 40 hours in Stardew Valley

20 hours in Super Meat Boy

15 in Yooka Laylee

14 in Chivalry

8 in FTL (and this is a teeny amount of time for this game, and doesn't even count my iPad time with the game, which is probably another 8-10 hours)

Play better indie games

Also note every single one of those games is an entirely different genre (well, FTL and Isaac are sorta similar genres I guess) with entirely different art styles.

LordRaptor

I think we can all agree that something like The Order 1886 has vastly more depth than Dwarf Fortress.

Dwarf Fortress doesn't even have a photomode.

Kart94

Banned
I have to wonder if they meant the "LOL 8-bit RETRO" platformers. if that is the case, then yeah i wouldn't blame them. those kind of games are tired as all. Unless it is exceptionally good, i wouldn't touch those now.

Ok thanks guys, I'm gonna look into those now.

I did play Limbo last gen actually, I actually purchased quite a few XBLA titles. I think what put me off "Indies" was the dramatic increase in the number of them this gen. Less hype for each release and more crap to filter through.

But also far more good titles. The Indies, that we got around 6-7 years maybe couldnt even survive in the current market, because they were "just good".
I finished Inside 2 days ago and Firewatch. Both great games.

It really just seems people have a different perception. It seems reading the last few pages here there seems to be an influx of Souls-Like indie games?!

azyless

If you seriously think the majority of indie games is < 3 hours then you really don't know much about indie games at all. I could understand an argument about a lack of long (I mean 20-30 hours) story-driven games, but stating indie games are 3 hours long isn't close to reality at all (I know because I regularly look for very short games, and most of what I find is 8 hours at the very least).
And that's not counting things like Kerbal Space Program, Stardew Valley, Factorio, Rocket League, Terraria, etc. which you can easily sink dozens (if not hundreds) of hours into.

NeonBlack

What do you mean by empty exactly?

I like the 'emptiness' of indie games, especially compared with the enormous amount of fluff AAA titles tend to pack into their games.

When I say empty games like Journey, Braid, and Limbo come to mind. The games I listed earlier had some type of gameplay depth to them that I didn't feel in others.

Alphahawk

The dumbest part is how usually these are the same peope who,within the same breath, will lament the "death" of the mid budget game. Guess what? Games such as Katamari and Destroy All Humans still exist and are even more plentiful now, you just can't see it, because you chose to write them off.

xealo

"indie" isn't a genre, and neither is AAA. It all refers to whether the game creator is backed by a publisher, and in the case of AAA, the budget involved.

Some people simply prefer games and experiences that have greater production value. Doesn't make either side bad.

xJumpManx

Neo Member
I like to get immersed in the gaming world so that for me instantly removes any 8 bit or 16 bit looking games. I have grown used to all the bells and whistles of new games you usually do not get that with Indie titles. Now I still play some indie titles like racing games from codemaster and even that new NBA playgrounds game. The final thought to indie games is their are so many that they saturate the market with more crap than quality.

I don't refuse to play them, but nearly every indie game I've ever tried has had the same problem of having an interesting aesthetic and core concept but amateurish game design. It's happened often enough that now I just generally avoid indie games and just stick to games by developers that I trust. There's more of those games coming out than I have time to play anyway, so I don't have much of a reason to bother with indie stuff.

Very rarely one will still catch my eye and I'll try it out. My wife and I recently played through Overcooked together and it was pretty enjoyable, if still underwhelming to a degree. And Gotta Protectors on 3DS if that counts, but it did have pedigree since it was developed by Ancient.

firelogic

A good game is a good game whether it was made by 1 person or a team of 500. If someone says they outright won't play a game that has a lower budget/made by a small number of people, they're the ones missing out.

Edit: I'm not saying all "indie" games are good games. I'm saying if your criteria for not playing a game is simply due to the budget/number of people, that's a closed-minded approach to take.

DMONKUMA

I don't refuse to play indie games. I'm just way more picky with them due to the sheer magnitude of them on PC.

I have similar mindset.

These are some of the types of indies I like

NarrowUnimportantCopperhead.gif

1787f4a58319b89c0f8725656a03a600_large.gif

trixx

if it's good I'm usually in. Usually get them on sale and usually those sales are on pc. Would rather play on console cause I'm lazy and would like to play before heading to bed/while im in bed.

Also there are so many and so little time and money i need a list of quality titles that are worth the time, before purchasing.

Top Bottom