• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People who refuse to play Indie-Games - Why?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Not sure I agree with that sentiment. If anything the indie developers tend to have closer contact with consumers, more open to feedback, and more likely to implement it.

A large corporation has a lot of process in place, and usually too stubborn to listen to feedback unless something massively effects sales.

I didn't mean in terms of dealing with its customer base, but rather, a full fledged, professional game studio would generally have more resources, and expertise to deliver a more adequate product.

As someone who plays a decent-ish number of indie games, my guess is that the prevalence of them combined with some of them having similar (at least on a cursory level) art style is probably off-putting to some folks. I was playing Hue the other day on PSN (it was free) and while it was a perfectly fine game, it definitely immediately reminded me of Limbo, Braid, and a few other 2-d side scroller games in art style. It was an experience that was fine, but fairly average. The gameplay wasn't incredibly rich, the look of the game felt cheap, and it just seemed like the type of game I'd beat and then think "Did I really need to spend 4 hours playing this?"

And that isn't to say AAA games don't copy each other either, but perhaps because of how much money and time it takes to make them, you don't find as many of them on the marketplace as you do indie games.

Indie games like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Journey, Overcooked, Rocket League, Cuphead, etc are excellent because they stand out in some meaningful way that say, "Retro 8-bit game #12" doesn't. And unfortunately, it's these games that have painted a perhaps unfair perception of "indie games" to some people.

Now you could argue that I'm a graphics whore

Considering your post in this thread that'd be like arguing that water is wet. :D

but if we're being honest the likes of Hollow Knight ( a game that I like) isn't really what a graphics whore would like surely.

Um, what the fuck? Hollow Knight is an absolutely stunning game by any metric. If anything, loving it is one hundred percent consistent with being a graphics whore.

Own your shallowness and enjoy what you like, I say. I also have a hard time getting into games I find visually unpleasant (like pissfilter "realistic" AAA games with low framerates), while well-done pixel art and 8 / 16-bit aesthetics are extremely pretty to me.

Some people simply rather not play indie games. Simple as that.

If your contribution to the "why" thread is going to be "just because", perhaps consider if it adds anything of value?

Jubenhimer

I think it's because some people still see digital games, and or games not made by a major publisher to be inferior for some strange reason. Which I don't really get, especially in this day and age. This isn't the WiiWare, PSN, Xbox Live Arcade days anymore. Freedom Planet is considered just as much of a PS4 game as Bloodborne is.

Then again, there's also people who just aren't into the style of most indie games, so it could just be preference as well.

capnjazz

Neo Member
A Hat in Time and Cuphead are some of the best games I've played in a long, long time and they're indies so I'm not sure why there are people who straight out refuse to buy indie games. I understand being a bit apprehensive because a lot of indie games are pretty bad but to not give any indie game a chance seems really weird.

Indie games like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Journey, Overcooked, Rocket League, Cuphead, etc are excellent because they stand out in some meaningful way that say, "Retro 8-bit game #12" doesn't. And unfortunately, it's these games that have painted a perhaps unfair perception of "indie games" to some people.

I find it worrying that every single game you posted except one is a 3D game and that you equate "8-bit visuals" with "doesn't add anything new to the medium". So the original version of Spelunky didn't add anything? FTL? Shovel Knight?

It hurts to read this thread.

This thread does have me glad I switched to PC gaming two years ago and shed myself of that ridiculous AAA tunnel vision, though. Reading through this thread has me less surprised that so many here somehow consider AAA console games to be the default games, and everything else is 'niche'

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
It hurts to read this thread.

This thread does have me glad I switched to PC gaming two years ago and shed myself of that ridiculous AAA tunnel vision, though. Reading through this thread has me less surprised that so many here somehow consider AAA console games to be the default games, and everything else is 'niche'

If anything this thread has shown me that we have a void. Specifically, we need a review team similar to Gamespot/giant bomb/easy allies that covers and champions only independent games. Yes, only independent because once the outlets I've mentioned get copies of games like Destiny or Zelda, all of their content revolves around said game for the next few weeks. This goes for their podcasts, features, and streams. Also a lot of these outlets also tend to ignore lots of independent games when fall hits. We need the independent only personality based review team to shine more light on these games.

redcrayon

Posters specifically offering their reasoning aside, people often use arbitrary criteria to reinforce their choices when there is so much to choose from. What does someone, who, say, only plays half a dozen big AAA games a year, (let's say a mix of action games, shooters, open world and RPGs as they make up a large chunk of that sector) really lose by saying 'I don't play indies'? Probably about as much as saying 'I don't play sports/racing' (a huge sector easily dismissed by many gamers for several reasons) or 'I don't play mobile games'. It's not that they automatically don't like indies, it's that most gamers only get to play a fraction of a single percent of the sheer number of games released in a given year.

I mean, I don't really play many AAA games, it's not on principle, it's more that, of the few new games I'll play, the genres I like exist elsewhere. A shitload of great AAA games released this year, and if I played 30 games rather than 10, I'd probably get around to some of them. The visable end result is the same, my friends think I don't like western AAA stuff, when that isn't true, they just aren't my priority. It's an easy assumption to make though.

Play games that are fun and you like to play. Distinctions beyond this are unnecessary and superfluous.

If not, your loss. The end.

I find it worrying that every single game you posted except one is a 3D game and that you equate "8-bit visuals" with "doesn't add anything new to the medium". So the original version of Spelunky didn't add anything? FTL? Shovel Knight?

Where did I say it didn't add anything new to the medium? All I said is that the art style seems more prevalent amongst indie games and that to some people they probably more easily blend together.

I'm not qualified to speak about what the games you mentioned added to the medium. But if you're wondering why some people refuse to play games in that sort of aesthetic, part of it is due to their association with "old games," regardless of how unfair that association is, and part of it is due to how prevalent that style may seem.

I grew up on 8 and 16 bit games (I'm 31). I've never said - or will say - that games in that art style "don't add anything new to the medium." However, I will say that I'm not generally drawn to games in that style in part because many of them also tend to adhere to styles of gameplay I'm generally less interested in (namely side scrollers and platformers).

sneas78

Banned
I got to admit that I was one of those people .. recently as of yesterday I found a game called The Flame In The Flood.. and it’s growing on me.. what this little indie games can be.

Oblivion

This game is good example of what I was talking about:

tumblr_neosux7TSb1s8ouhxo4_500.gif

Not the worst looking game, mind you, but everything about it looks incredibly flat and the movement seems very much like cheap flash.

AudioEppa

Then again, there's also people who just aren't into the style of most indie games, so it could just be preference as well.

I mean, This is where I start and end on this subject.

It comes down to a few styles indie developers go after. If you never found those particular styles interesting, Or you’re tired of seeing the same thing. That can put you off from playing those games.

It’s like there’s individuals who don’t like semi realistic or almost photo realistic looking games. They never like them, Or tired of seeing them within the AAA market.

For myself, there’s a small window of indie styles I enjoy playing. Anything 8 & 16bit is a instant fuck no. Same for space shooters and top-down games. But games like limbo and firewatch grab my attention.

For me, it's hard to tell which ones are worth playing. There are so many shitty ones. So unless it's something like Cave Story or Undertake or stardew I usually ignore it.

That said, I tend to like the indy games I do like more than most AAA games.

capnjazz

Neo Member
Where did I say it didn't add anything new to the medium? All I said is that the art style seems more prevalent amongst indie games and that to some people they probably more easily blend together.

I'm not qualified to speak about what the games you mentioned added to the medium. But if you're wondering why some people refuse to play games in that sort of aesthetic, part of it is due to their association with "old games," regardless of how unfair that association is, and part of it is due to how prevalent that style may seem.

I grew up on 8 and 16 bit games (I'm 31). I've never said - or will say - that games in that art style "don't add anything new to the medium." However, I will say that I'm not generally drawn to games in that style in part because many of them also tend to adhere to styles of gameplay I'm generally less interested in (namely side scrollers and platformers).

First of all, I love your avatar. It's from the documentary about Melissa's grandfather, right? And I also agree that indie games get lumped up in with the abundant "cheap 2D sidescrollers" and they get a bad reputation, whether or not it's warranted.

A lot of games that use this style are good but you have to sift through a bunch of shovelware to find those good games. The art style itself isn't the problem, I actually played the Octopath Traveler demo on Switch that had a similar art style, but it's made by Square Enix so it probably has a large budget, but the fact that there are so many bad games that use the style negatively impacts how people perceive most indie games.

Oblivion

I mean, This is where I start and end on this subject.

It comes down to a few styles indie developers go after. If you never found those particular styles interesting, Or you’re tired of seeing the same thing. That can put you off from playing those games.

The funny thing is that indie games seem to be rife with 2D platformers, one of my absolute favorite genres, but I just can't get into most of them.

Voidwolf

I don't care who makes the game.
But I'm sick of side scrolling pixel art crap.
There's exceptions, but overall it's genre exhaustion.

Pretty much this (not so much the sidescrolling bit tho). I loved Transistor, and am currently enjoying Ruiner. I've played and enjoyed a few indies over the years. But most of them are bad, cheap, or just the current trend.

Hobbes211

There is a very, very wide array of indie games, so it's hard to cast all, even most, in the same light. That being said, the majority of indie games I have played, mostly through Steam, have been pretty terrible. There are a few that stand out, but most are unfinished and buggy disasters.

A friend of mine is really into the Marvel movies. He loves them to bits. He's trying to get me to watch Guardians of the Galaxy. But here's the thing: I don't care about the guardians. There's like three super heroes I care about: Spider-man, Batman and The Hulk. That's it. The rest I don't give a damn about.

I think it's the same with games. Even if I like games within a certain genre, there's only so many I really care about and want to play. If an indie dev tries to create something similair, that's great but my thirst for that kind of game is probably quenched already.

I don't necessarily avoid indie games, but I just don't find too many of them appealing. I feel like they often don't offer as much content and polish as AAA games either. So I just skip them, or wait for them to get cheaper and skip them at that point because damn there's a lot of games these days.

RavageX

I like games, just so happens most aren't indie. A lot of them follow "retro" style graphics, and if I buy a ps4 or Xbox one....or custom build a PC, I don't want to really mess with retro graphics in this day and age.

There are some games that don't follow the retro style and that's fine but most I will bypass cause that's just not what I want to play.

Good games or not....i didn't get a ps4 pro to play something looking like nes legend of Zelda.

watdaeff4

I used to be in the camp of "nope."

It was mainly because I had less gaming time and what time I did have, I wanted to stick with the big-name stuff.

Now I have a bit more time to dabble and have found some indie games that are amazing, and enjoy more than a lot of AAA games, but of course some aren't as good. Imagine that.

One thing I do like doing is using them as a change of pace.

Accept they try to pose as "ART"
Interesting. Are you under the impression that something needs to reach a certain level of quality to be art? That something can't simultaneously both be art and be terrible? That is, that terrible art doesn't exist? And it seems quite irrelevant besides, as surely you'd agree that video games are in fact art regardless of what the development team says or doesn't say? After all, video games are simply a composite medium--they consist of the work of a variety of different forms of art, such as music, writing, background/character art, etc. All these things are agreed to be art when they exist in isolation, so why would they stop being such when put together? That seems odd to me. Surely they're just as much a form of art together as they are separately. That shouldn't even be a question.

And it's also odd to say this because this is also a problem that AAA games suffer from as well, that's in no way unique to indies. In fact, AAA games are way more likely to brag about how beautiful everything is and how great the IQ is, how gorgeous and detailed their worlds and character models and assets are, etc.

Because when most people say that, they don't actually mean "indie games", they mean the <$15 at full price, pixel art, bargain bin crap that you expect to get on PS+/GWG within a couple months or in a Humble bundle for 3 cents.

And when they mean that definition, and not all indie (i.e. independently/self-published) games, I actually fall into that group as well. And it's entirely because I don't have time to play all the games I already want to play and can't be bothered to expend the energy (or time or money) to pick up and try out all the crap that falls through the cracks.

It's not that I don't intentionally play indie games (as defined above), it's that they are way, way down on my list of games to play and I usually never get that far down the list before another dozen AAA, AA, or high quality self-published products get released.

People who are like this just haven't found their GOAT indies yet. I was kinda the same way until I played Hotline Miami. Now stuff like Hollow Knight and Cuphead are challenging Horizon/BOTW for my personal GOTY.

I think perception is skewed both ways though. I don't think indies are any better than AAA games. There's probably a higher percentage of shitty indies than AAA but if you go into the 'elitist' gaming cliques people act like indies are for real gamers and AAA are all mindless trash. It's whatever, I just play what looks good to me and I'm glad indies are here to bring back the budget and mid tier games.

Indie movies though... fucking blows away most of this box office blockbuster superhero shite. That's for a different thread.

Arulan

It hasn't been particularly hard to notice that some people are quick to categorize games that fall outside of their comfort zone as lesser games. You see it in discussions regarding mobile and virtual-reality titles as well. I find this type of attitude abhorrent.

The vast quantity of quality releases and the incredibly diverse number of genres that make them up can't be ignored.

Personally, I find that most AAA titles offer little more than production values. They're designed for the largest audience possible and the effect on game design is often fatal. I generally find that lower budget titles are much more focused in design because their game doesn't have to appeal to a multi-million audience. These are generalizations of course.

I like games, just so happens most aren't indie. A lot of them follow "retro" style graphics, and if I buy a ps4 or Xbox one....or custom build a PC, I don't want to really mess with retro graphics in this day and age.

There are some games that don't follow the retro style and that's fine but most I will bypass cause that's just not what I want to play.

Good games or not....i didn't get a ps4 pro to play something looking like nes legend of Zelda.

Man, how ignorant can people be? Have you seen what Ori looks like? Cuphead? Inside? The Witness? A Hat in Time? The Talos Principle? Observer? Ruiner? Abzu? Nex Machina? Absolver? Firewatch? Rime? Hollow Knight? The Last Night? Sundered? Indivisible? Ashen?

I could go on and on. There is an incredible variety in the indie space, both in terms of gameplay and art design.

Yeah this is just about the most ridiculous opinion I've seen on this site, and that's saying something. If you pass on games like Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, The Witness, etc just because they're indie games or because of the art styles... well... your loss.

Hektor

I wouldn't mind playing indie games if they didn't have that pixelated look on most of them. I realize I may be missing out on some quality gameplay, but I just can't play a game looking like that on a 4k 75" HDR TV. I need me some graphics.

The Binding of Isaac

ss_e06e09cbd2fa66dc8d35ede3620a4865ebf2e033.1920x1080.jpg

Age of Decadence

ss_3087b7e51ab2cca4e3f014af9917e750c0dc7852.1920x1080.jpg

Hard West

ss_8a6be2dff596cd324f00991f5281aba0d2ef5c1e.1920x1080.jpg

Cook, Serve, Delicious

ss_c083332ea1aa341a47b8f467b04a95ba15c560fd.1920x1080.jpg

The Legend of Grimrock II

ss_bfeafb5256363eb1592b52fa54f53c68308f1e8e.1920x1080.jpg

Steamworld Heist

ss_0eefbeb22592e3370d1716e036241bb48faa6244.1920x1080.jpg

Hand of Fate

ss_742f41023e6821f19963cd67c3b88b44b10791e5.1920x1080.jpg

Rocket League

ss_ea56a2eb80e425ac053279d3342993df8a50977d.1920x1080.jpg

Skyhill

ss_7b94b1e11e6a9f30257811189b299ca55d382225.1920x1080.jpg

Inside

ss_05cb5a63a3f2b458445a7b9ddc48c95e79265978.1920x1080.jpg

Jalopy

ss_7c0ab8f8645ff7484ed48275d8c66f1b05714482.1920x1080.jpg

One Finger Death Punch

ss_9db81f49c39dd609ba613f825a33d13e7774fd4e.1920x1080.jpg

Detention

ss_4a973d58c74b234fbaf97ac46a638b4342450802.1920x1080.jpg

What Remains of Edith Finch

ss_b33a742463deb8564a382e1744febceaa91a5bab.1920x1080.jpg

Tacoma

ss_875fba27c6b9462ea0693177c5a52e37e349b1ca.1920x1080.jpg

Yooka Layle

ss_7fda512514a44e891a8bbe7bb811fcd3c5d58d9d.1920x1080.jpg

Event [0]

ss_c81868f43633b4460d1c2d1fcfef7105500440d8.1920x1080.jpg

Papo & Yo

ss_5fd09c3ea05636b285e42955493a9595e2fec9db.1920x1080.jpg

Dust: An Elysian Tale

ss_4b65ee1fd0755560205a437007ed3002179bbf84.1920x1080.jpg

Assault Android Cactus

ss_51a3f81ccfd4395fdbb2d3d8024a5415f2c6e75a.1920x1080.jpg

Stories Untold

ss_924cd30d76f368bd78cd68b81b85b8ad6d549cc7.1920x1080.jpg

Firewatch

ss_570bc87288b5ab4e235ba270e1d2ae30312d5b82.1920x1080.jpg

Oxenfree

ss_34d6a7611253d6b476708d13c4b93c7d97e02e59.1920x1080.jpg

Paper Sorcerer

ss_5b7de11ff485ef7f66faa4ebd7c9082abe234e31.1920x1080.jpg

1979 Revolution: Black Friday

ss_40c75d574154bb284edeee3b4c01f6e6c288a193.1920x1080.jpg

Orwell

ss_0e45e39f3d48be404957ddab1839085598ec14d6.1920x1080.jpg

Deadly Tower of Monsters

ss_c70a37023f45274628ded32a8a4de71e079c4ff3.1920x1080.jpg

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

ss_69872a9956b957c31471be1cd1a58e530cc21a67.1920x1080.jpg

Dicetiny

ss_5cffe21a975fdf066e52cb1183f383da42f6e5de.1920x1080.jpg

Don't Starve

ss_09bb6bdce4fa085c2c4a9a8f48ea52d3051b44bc.1920x1080.jpg

Sunless Sea

ss_62af66925a80b87773b3dc613f14ae0019af6b93.1920x1080.jpg

Ladykiller in a Bind

ss_a2b9d4d24d7255d2df5f28f801a4323f2043f971.1920x1080.jpg

Contradiction

ss_f33622ad529f91fcd66d6eda02e5609445b277c0.1920x1080.jpg

Ori and the Blind Forest

ss_85f66e8586a70b4fea5602a9d82ef2bf42c633b6.1920x1080.jpg

SOMA

ss_f72532983850e64b32428fd0e4b09e0ff8fcfc55.1920x1080.jpg

Transistor

ss_ba509bfde06591298410299b106747e7694ad011.1920x1080.jpg

RONIN

ss_ab67d5de40421d3b493e724a91d5985be793a82b.1920x1080.jpg

HEXCELLS

ss_9651a10c262e93f89f4b500bd4b72882070fd8df.1920x1080.jpg

Doorkickers

ss_f04f558ff07359b15638db238a9e642421ea13f5.1920x1080.jpg

The Banner Saga

ss_8cb2ac8d54d819ef8d2d50e5aaa45e85d50ca80f.1920x1080.jpg

Antichamber

ss_8604088893b9d0ea42d41c741619e740e92fcee0.1920x1080.jpg

Bastion

ss_d158b1b4ece3a362c7d8acc6168ad14de00e64ba.1920x1080.jpg

Torchlight 2

ss_c9d8fe6280ff2764bc0030b8dc2556769e158109.1920x1080.jpg

Mark of the Ninja

ss_5ca2235feff99db0b31a9e5578a64ef3806e9581.1920x1080.jpg

Planet Coaster

ss_63400b037f8503879b139f7f259b1e4babf33ff0.1920x1080.jpg

Cuphead

ss_615455299355eaf552c638c7ea5b24a8b46e02dd.1920x1080.jpg

Renowned Explorers

ss_d00db45a8af2a283ab416c19fcf083c6ff8a3a82.1920x1080.jpg

The Witness

ss_9c73ac83c8acfb69db6166f239fdba2ffa099b32.1920x1080.jpg

This War of Mine

ss_746e46a6b5e9186ee71d2abccc152d17975a0e54.1920x1080.jpg

Pyre

ss_2107ff862d576593c794b3bd53a2916b44ca03bb.1920x1080.jpg

Endless Space

ss_039e84f45fcae78251faf8a21c5de152f77bd642.1920x1080.jpg

SUPERHOT

ss_2bd988fa8395542a3f2ae125bd0dcacfab780d0c.1920x1080.jpg

Darkast Dungeon

ss_04572edc979601b038756f87861c6f8c6c337806.1920x1080.jpg

This is the Police

ss_bb46c171d1d486df3a64ec680769be9ab560fc8d.1920x1080.jpg

Expditions: Viking

ss_07725cfc9b1ed130ab2a8c2a463483dcb3488a5c.1920x1080.jpg

Invisible Inc.

ss_065423f51f4f35e9867ac6cec9598d32baf7c37b.1920x1080.jpg

Pillars of Eternity

ss_fbc3b33088a2ec5e718271a122c370afee8eb4cf.1920x1080.jpg

Torment: Tides of Numenera

ss_433966939722ea466f9ed7945a8d8c2c7ff2c966.1920x1080.jpg

Divinity: Original Sin 2

ss_5034004fa3690a17da2c266bc577e8aa54e2f3ef.1920x1080.jpg

Shadow Tactics

ss_410b4a15c97f1d27ab2e2e86bc7a1ffa1d175f3f.1920x1080.jpg

Battle Chasers: Nightwar

ss_69f49894400cc5f5fedf5fb7e78017f32a352f81.1920x1080.jpg

Subsurface Circular

ss_daf5a0ce5126f16d1f065f8d9a34aeaed7583e85.1920x1080.jpg

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School

ss_2b8aa5223fe8d7a100aae2eb4923e6247762ddbf.1920x1080.jpg

ECHO

ss_9a5b1e891254b72e9e9d80140de5a99d8ca1c0ce.1920x1080.jpg

West of Loathing

ss_836774731de866d7cba5723248d92f7fa810c02f.1920x1080.jpg

RUINER

ss_91306699cea73c09665ef53217e7351fbbb95bd1.1920x1080.jpg

Hello Neighbour

ss_b0df68f6289fe4c8d16b826821c08f8fa6c1fd2b.1920x1080.jpg

Paint the Town Red

ss_d84fc22c00884714b35e2c02a9a573905d0366e5.1920x1080.jpg

Wartile

ss_53e45e319496f1c6c33818b44603d66de5d7a6af.1920x1080.jpg

HOT LAVA

ss_e129ee36e37fa0e4d773cca0ca7b67f875d6d498.1920x1080.jpg

Agony

ss_bf5dc86f89bc1de89429fbcb48855101fd75e823.1920x1080.jpg

Prey for the Gods

ss_fd4eea3a397fd55c59aad7356b6b731d0f4558d0.1920x1080.jpg

DUSK

ss_8292ba4bc48cc5ddf24801ed30c065d37b988640.1920x1080.jpg

My Friend Named Pedro

ss_a1366100300d985e68b97df76fadf5299081565f.1920x1080.jpg

Abandon Ship

ss_765afb1fe853c99eb0887d609eb3fd705c5c0bde.1920x1080.jpg

Who Must Die

ss_33abd444e01e66821d17ddc1f2b0d62fae0e7c49.1920x1080.jpg

The Pedestrian

ss_d5b1c3a3696e0e5f38239f09f36813051f4deb84.1920x1080.jpg

ZIBA

ss_3a0242c681ed98438a2d30ee5e4adda366387445.1920x1080.jpg

Ray's the Dead

ss_83ccfb3115a31ea4eca12655059864b6574c5911.1920x1080.jpg

Griftlands

ss_3115c93594872bd827ad90205e8c3336dd880130.1920x1080.jpg

Indivisible

ss_17e6151978b2986ffffc46772bdaaa98740d3af6.1920x1080.jpg

Tartarus

ss_3df7fc601e08432c14bef9901c3e93ea876aff90.1920x1080.jpg

Longsword: Tabletop Tactics

ss_d432c708b486fc41c5dbb5440999d02044de3ee8.1920x1080.jpg

Light Fairytale

ss_2498fd734aa29b897c66b173d0e15b982696ea92.1920x1080.jpg

A Morticians Tale

ss_06bc1802e872306a7ae6d71d2b07ea90bf1414a5.1920x1080.jpg

SINNER

ss_f908297455446bcbb7d234df65beb8cd216ad17c.1920x1080.jpg

Long Gone Days

ss_746ecd2cd77378cfa0b1b868910bfdec83a5e11d.1920x1080.jpg

Megaton Rainfall

ss_dcd6e7de207b31ab2cd0239e753501a64607cc4a.1920x1080.jpg

Albino Lullaby

ss_6e395d086994b195737ca11ca4d7cb65a4341b7b.1920x1080.jpg

State of Mind

ss_1da0a008dbb156b32b1c1cd58f20c769b5791253.1920x1080.jpg

No Truce with the Furies

ss_2788b1c9f02c02ad27a27c81b36186f362a9df87.1920x1080.jpg

All Walls Must Fall

ss_f40efd5f44aa1bf662ddc3238e8600631406afca.1920x1080.jpg

jfc, this stereotype about indies is seriously so freaking tired

graybot

I certainly think people should give them a shot

I like a good few indie games but I do feel some get far more acclaim than they deserve IMO

I was very underwhelmed with Gone Home for example, and games like Firewatch and Abzu were ok but certainly not great for me.

I’m pretty unoriginal when it comes to my all time favorite indie games, but I would recommend anyone who hasn’t to play the likes of Braid, Limbo and my personal favorite Guacamelle

Edit: was just reminded of two more games at either end of the scale for me. Ori is still one of the best games this gen and oxenfree one of the worst games I’ve played this gen

Indie games are kind of like 'AAA' games for me. A high-profile release will come out that everyone raves about, so I'll give it a shot even though it doesn't really grab me, only to find a pretty average game hidden behind big production values. Or, in the case of most indie games--a unique art style, melodramtic story, wacky gimmick, or derivative game design. After getting burned enough times I mostly stick to stuff by developers I already like, of which there are already more games than I have time to play anyway.

The last indie game I played was Cuphead, which wasn't bad at all, but in the end it just made me return to Hard Corps Uprising which is a better example of the genre by nearly every measure.

First of all, I love your avatar. It's from the documentary about Melissa's grandfather, right?

Good eye! Yes, indeed it is.

And I also agree that indie games get lumped up in with the abundant "cheap 2D sidescrollers" and they get a bad reputation, whether or not it's warranted.

A lot of games that use this style are good but you have to sift through a bunch of shovelware to find those good games. The art style itself isn't the problem, I actually played the Octopath Traveler demo on Switch that had a similar art style, but it's made by Square Enix so it probably has a large budget, but the fact that there are so many bad games that use the style negatively impacts how people perceive most indie games.

Yeah, exactly. I've thoroughly bought and/or enjoyed many pixel-based indie games - Nidhogg 1, Ollie Ollie 1 & 2, Super Motherload, and I just purchased Stardew Valley last weekend. But there are tons more that just seem utterly pointless and perhaps even worse - slight. And that extends to 3D indie games as well.

I have more indie games hibernating in my PS4 "Downloads List" that were ultimately not worth the money I spent on them than I can shake a stick at.

I didn't mean in terms of dealing with its customer base, but rather, a full fledged, professional game studio would generally have more resources, and expertise to deliver a more adequate product.
More adequate in what way? Visual fidelity? Amount of content?

Top Bottom