• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark Zero!!! (1UP)

trilobyte

We've all learned something here

when an experienced economically solid game publisher is so damn eager to sell off one of its prime game development houses to you.....ask them "why" before you drop $300million.

I will say only this in PD0's defense: the lighting on Joanna's face looks nice.

That's it.

Oh, and to people already claiming Kameo is going to look like shit, STFU. Not only did Kameo look better than PD0 on Xbox AND GAMECUBE, IGN-X360 put up impressions on Kameo not long ago and said it's the most graphically stunning Rare game yet.

Joanna am cry.

Oh, and: I called it. :D

Master Z

:lol :lol :lol OMFG!!! I......I.... I just don't understand for the life of me why those crackheads at Rare would allow such unfinished, underwhelming shit be displayed to the public....W...T...F!!??

Dalamar86

Whatever happened here, they better as hell make up for it at E3 or else -1 launch sale for sure. They better fix up things quick as hell after that too, or else -1 sale in general.

I'm so very confused right now. GAAAAH!

jimbo

Banned
Wow, Perfect Dark is such a huge dissapointment. Although I really don't see why everyone is dissapointed in DOA4. No way in hell would the Xbox be able to pull those graphics off. That looks pretty amazing in my book. All in all though, I hope the PS3 has a bit more muscle under its hood than this. Either that or hopefully these are games developed on early kits not really harnessing the power of the system.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Bat said:
It's like the Saturn launch all over again. If you're gonna take the risk and launch early, you HAVE to have your shit together. I already doubted how many people are going to be motivated to get a new Xbox after only 4 years; this just makes things worse.

Yeah, it's looking more like Saturn than Dreamcast now! ;)

I actually thought of Saturn at the "We've got three processors!" comment in the ourcolony video. And now seeing Perfect Dark is like seeing the fubarred version of VF1 with the disappearing arms and legs. Or even Saturn Daytona :D

Everything so far points to them launching far too early.

Mashing

This thread and those screenshots are just pure comedy gold. I think I have a permanent smile on my face from all this laughing. Horrible, just horrible.

Vince

Banned
Nash said:
They've presented an open goal to Sony.

I'm not one to expect much out of Microsoft, anyone familiar with me will tell you as much, but even I am wondering WTF that was. Never did I think they could pull off something so fucking pathetic... even after seeing J.Allard. I can't express how bad that was. All that talk of High-Definition...

They're like the French in 1940, keep talking about your wall douchebags. Blitzkrieg on.

On the brightside, atleast that Tom Clancy game looked cool.

madara

I think all you guys are about to get owned! I just fought post by the smartest eleven year old fanboy I ever seen. Behold his is words:
"Wow. Developers already taking showing potential early this on. Since they just are seeing what the 360 can handle it's already looking amazing. Wait until they have more time to make their games. That's when Halo 3 will come in hand and if I may say PDZ looks amazing. I think we have some ps2 fanboys around here, because it's just stupid to say that you've seen this on ps2 already. This graphics can only be seen on 360 and that's it. Not even the most powerful computer on earth can handle this amazing graphics."

All seriousness side I do like their attempt go non PR. The attempt on hairstyle, eyes looks alot better then old cube art. Just shame it looks like alpha cube game. :lol

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Holy shit! How can RARE suck so much!? Seriously, Project Gotham 3 looked AMAZING, there is clearly plenty of power in Xbox 360, but HOW CAN PERFECT DARK STILL HAVE A SHITTY FRAMERATE!? :lol :lol

Mrbob

You know, those of us who say we are expecting too much are giving us BS.

I'm sorry, but it shouldn't be too much to ask your flagpship title to meet or exceed what is on the PC. Hell exceed what is on the Xbox.

Xbox 360 - style above substance

refreshZ

13121335650.jpg

The close-up screenshot doesn't show it so much, but did anyone else think "Holy shit, Joanna looks like Bjork" when they showed her on MTV?

Mooreberg

At the very least, this will serve as a reminder why five year hardware cycles have become the industry standard. Just imagine if this is what people saw this morning instead of DOA4.

trmas

Banned
The only playable game looks like complete and total crap.. everything else is renders I guess.

More like XBox .5 than 1.5!! I laughed so hard I'm crying..

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
CrimsonSkies said:
Holy cow! You mean some games for the first showing are impressive and others not so. This must be the first time that's happened for a new system launch.

Overall I'd say meh. I know the system is powerful as hell by seeing the PGR3 clip for all of 5 seconds. Looks like several developers are going to need to do some major crunch time over the next 5 months to get used to the system. Microsoft hasn't learned how yet to only show a little bit of something good for several minutes instead of trying to cram several things into a short time frame.

PGR3, Ghost Recon 3, Quake 4, and Need for Speed Most Wanted all looked mighty fine.

This is quite disappointing. PGR3 and NFS:Most Wanted weren't even in game shots. At best they were replays. Ghost Recon 4 looked decent, but this is the first time I've seen this low of a jump in graphics in any next gen system. Every game shown looked like it could have been played on Xbox. Quake 4, Call of Duty 2 and Gears of War in paticular had a horrible frame rate. And whats up with The Darkness and Saints Row? To make matters worse, they could cost up to $70. I hope PS3 and Revolution can offer more than this.

Uter

what I want to know is, where is drinky with the hate? I want to see drinky pull off the same level of tedious troll-like intensity with these brilliant Xbox 360 games now.

Jeff-DSA

MEH was defined tonight better than Webster could have.

I was planning on going over to Gamestop to get a 360 preorder tomorrow, but I'm holding out now. PD0 was my reason for being hyped about the .360, but that was killed tonight.

Juice

I personally believe that the hardcore HAVE to be backing a system for it to have a successful launch, unless it already has the media and marketshare behind it (e.g. PS2)

If GAF represents the hardcore and we ALL agree Xbox360 isn't worth it, will it flop? You guys really think so?

I'm not sure what to believe, but if this is it, I really HOPE it flops.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Remember all those threads proclaiming Rare has fallen from grace? 360 launches in November & what baffles me is that Conker looks so very good, & this is a next-gen title that looks even worse! Differing dev teams? Yes. But that is no excuse, halfway between HL2 & Halo2? :lol Though this is only a handful of screenshots, we don't know how the comprehensive game will look, esp. while in motion. But if these screens are any indication....

This is the caveat given as Botwood prepares to show off PDZ for the first time. Running on alpha Xbox 360 development kits (machines that possess only two of the three CPU cores in the final spec, as well as a run-of-the-mill ATI graphics card as opposed to the final, custom GPU set), the game is still very much a work-in-progress. But even at this stage, it's enough to see where they want to go with it.

This is a multiplayer-only demonstration. Taking a cue from Bungie, Rare remains tight-lipped regarding the details of Joanna Dark's single-player adventure. Other than vague descriptions of the plot ("Its general overview is how Joanna came to be the world's perfect agent"), promises of high-replayability ("It's almost like you can play it in an entirely different way each time"), and reluctant hints at a possible co-op mode over Xbox Live ("We were certainly interested to hear that Bungie had it planned for Halo 2 and disappointed to see that they didn't make this kind of game...it's something we're very interested in"), we'll have to wait for the curtain to reveal more.

So all Rare has is access to is incomplete dev. kits? And this title goes gold in 5-6 months? My post was optimistic, but this was simply too dificult to swallow. Early damage control at its finest.

AniHawk said:
How hard could it have been to make Joanna look like this??:

pdark4_800.jpg

see that was made at a time when Rare still had talent working there they have now all left and they have 2 part time janitors making this game

Odnetnin

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
This is the caveat given as Botwood prepares to show off PDZ for the first time. Running on alpha Xbox 360 development kits (machines that possess only two of the three CPU cores in the final spec, as well as a run-of-the-mill ATI graphics card as opposed to the final, custom GPU set), the game is still very much a work-in-progress. But even at this stage, it's enough to see where they want to go with it.

This is a multiplayer-only demonstration. Taking a cue from Bungie, Rare remains tight-lipped regarding the details of Joanna Dark's single-player adventure. Other than vague descriptions of the plot ("Its general overview is how Joanna came to be the world's perfect agent"), promises of high-replayability ("It's almost like you can play it in an entirely different way each time"), and reluctant hints at a possible co-op mode over Xbox Live ("We were certainly interested to hear that Bungie had it planned for Halo 2 and disappointed to see that they didn't make this kind of game...it's something we're very interested in"), we'll have to wait for the curtain to reveal more.

Are you damage controlling these shocking arse images? Seriously, they look so bad to not make any damage control possible. Even if these were 1st gen PS2 images, they'd be borderline okay. Not for a console 2 gens down when you can get wayyy better results on current gen consoles.

There's so many things funny and wrong and generic with the model + art + design its not funny. This was meant to be launch?!

:lol

Tain

Looking like a shitty debut.

Gears Of War looked amazing.

...That's it.

I have no doubt in the system's power, but I still can't wrap my head around what I've been seeing and why I've been seeing it.

From our good friends at Teamxbox:

Whatever you do, STAY AWAY from the gaming-age forums.

Microsoft is getting crucifed over there right now. I've never seen such glee and celebration from Sony and Nintendo fanboys. They're officially proclaiming the Xbox 1.5 as DOA.

Of course, they're so stupid, they haven't taken the time to stop and wonder what the repercussions are for Sony and Nintendo's machine. The graphics across all three systems will look relatively the same.

Ninchilla

I don't think it's as bad as all that. Yeah, it's a disappointment, but I'm not going to trash it right away for a couple of reasons. One, I don't know how old those shots actually are. I doubt they were taken on the most recent build. Two, those are all supposedly from multiplayer, and if Rare are serious about pushing fifty players on a map, then I can't help but feel that it might be sensible to make them less poly-intensive than one might expect.

The game's not finished. Judging by those screens, I'd say it's not finished by a long shot, but there's no telling how old that code is. So I'm going to keep my hopes for a good game alive for a little while longer.

Oh, I get what the "360" means now. The new Xbox has the magical power to take us back where we started 5 years ago with PS2 level graphics.

Ramirez

Yea that looked bad,real bad...can't believe some people here though actually seem HAPPY that it looks bad...imagine that! :lol

Agent Icebeezy said:

bullshit bull motherfucking shit

this is one of your biggest developers that youve been banking on to launch your next system with this game and they only have alpha buils of the dev units when the system launches in 5 months

some one has some fucking rose tinted glasses on

So when I was saying that all the talent was gone from RARE and I was jumped on and called a troll...I was right?

omgwtfperfectdark.jpg

She was seriously BASHED in the face with the Lara Croft ugly stick.

scarybore

Duckhuntdog said:

Microsoft is getting crucifed over there right now. I've never seen such glee and celebration from Sony and Nintendo fanboys. They're officially proclaiming the Xbox 1.5 as DOA.

Of course, they're so stupid, they haven't taken the time to stop and wonder what the repercussions are for Sony and Nintendo's machine. The graphics across all three systems will look relatively the same.

What fucking high horse are these fanboy cuntbuckets on? I seriously can't remember being so dissapointed with a console unveiling, even the DS unveiling which mystified half the fecking world made me slightly excitied. I mean Halo 2 looks better than Perfect Dark, is the HD revolution that god damn taxing on graphics cards?

In that Opening the Xbox book, the Xbox team spoke of how dissapointed their E3 was compared to the Gamecube. I have a feeling the same thing is about to happen again.

m0dus

Banned
dlobro1080 said:
Oh, I get what the "360" means now. The new Xbox has the magical power to take us back where we started 5 years ago with PS2 level graphics.

Are some of you becoming senile in your old age? :lol

Perhaps a reminder of what 1st gen PS2 graphics actually look like:

100422_full.jpg

100423_full.jpg

100424_full.jpg

I'm dissapointed too . . . but some of you really sound like you've gone fucking retarded. Reel it in a few dozen yards, and save your foaming at the mouth for E3. :lol

Here. here's something to tide you over:

Kameo
6berattaromxbox_24256.jpg

6berattaromxbox_24255.jpg

Perhaps RARE might have their salvation up their sleeve yet.

joshschw

m0dus said:

100422_full.jpg

100423_full.jpg

100424_full.jpg

I'm dissapointed too . . . but some of you really sound like you've gone fucking retarded. Reel it in a few dozen yards, and save your foaming at the mouth for E3. :lol

okay so 2nd gen PS2 graphics, whats the difference?

fse

pd028.jpg

pdark3_400x300.jpg

Rare could have done better, the 64 version looks good compared to this shit called perfect dark zero.

Juice

Deathcraze said:
What fucking high horse are these fanboy cuntbuckets on? I seriously can't remember being so dissapointed with a console unveiling, even the DS unveiling which mystified half the fecking world made me slightly excitied. I mean Halo 2 looks better than Perfect Dark, is the HD revolution that god damn taxing on graphics cards?

In that Opening the Xbox book, the Xbox team spoke of how dissapointed their E3 was compared to the Gamecube. I have a feeling the same thing is about to happen again.

Nail
Head.

I agree almost completely.

In most of our minds, we must have not properly factored in how big a deal pushing 3x the pixels really was.

That and the CPUs yield is less than expected.

And it's running on early hardware.

And Rare sucks now.

Can we really call this a surprise?

Duckhuntdog said:

:lol :lol :lol

Damage control against AN ENTIRE FORUM? Nice.

AniHawk

m0dus said:

100422_full.jpg

100423_full.jpg

100424_full.jpg

PSX FPS:
medalofh1.jpg

DC FPS:
outtrigger5.jpg

PSX --> PS2 was a pretty sizeable jump. DC ---> PS2 was not. This feels like another DC -> PS2 jump from Xbox to 360.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
:lol

All one has to do is look at Kameo to see what Rare was capable of here. Perfect Dark Zero is absolute shit in comparison, current Xbox games look better than it :lol

Top Bottom