• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Performance Analysis: Assassin's Creed Unity (Digital Foundry)

nelchaar

So let me get this straight..

- shit performance on both consoles
- slightly less shitty performance on the weaker console
- 900p and pop up
- micro transactions up the wazoo, including a delicious $100 one.
- different colored chests that require using a mobile app to unlock
- "Parity" comments

Am I missing anything? Screw this game to hell.

SeanTSC

Well, it seems that people overreacted about parity.
It also looks like that Ubisoft ran out of time... this should've been a 2015 title.

Yeah, they should have just released Rogue this year as a cross-gen game and let the pile of technical shit that is Unity bake for another year at least. Unity clearly wasn't given enough time for either console. It's reviewing worse than Rogue to boot.

So Ubi's decision to go 900p across both platforms was to ensure the PS4 could keep up with the Xbox One?

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

omonimo

Banned
Nope; if they are processing & running 10k AIs; the CPU is almost certainly the limiting factor.

That said, I'm pretty sure this is just massive performance failures all around; it's like they lost revision control and sent the wrong version of the game to go Gold. That or they have one hell of a patch coming up.
Can you be more clear? I'm not sure to understand how a 10% of more cpu (if it's the case, we don't know at all) could count more of the bandwith/unified ram advantages of the ps4, especially in a free roam.

Yeah, they should have just released Rogue this year as a cross-gen game and let the pile of technical shit that is Unity bake for another year at least. Unity clearly wasn't given enough time for either console. It's reviewing worse than Rogue to boot.

Yeah, exactly !
And I think Rogue would've got a lot more sales !
Plus...
It seems that Rogue ending is tied to AC Unity... that would've built more hype.

cakely

How did this happen?

Both consoles have the same architecture, but the PS4 has 50% more CU and no weird memory bottlenecks.

It appears to go beyond "lazy developers" into the realm of incompetence.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So let me get this straight..

- shit performance on both consoles
- slightly less shitty performance on the weaker console
- 900p and pop up
- micro transactions up the wazoo, including a delicious $100 one.
- different colored chests that require using a mobile app to unlock
- "Parity" comments

Am I missing anything? Screw this game to hell.

Their first controversy was when people asked why there weren't female playable characters in the game and they gave a constantly changing set of reasons (especially after other devs and their ex-employees called them out on their first reason) and didn't even throw anyone any bones in terms of promising female playable characters in a future mainline entry.

Asd202

Absolutely

So if we explain this with the slightly stronger CPU on the XB1, this means there is a lot of GPU headroom left on the PS4 that was wasted for parity. Meanining PS4 version could run with identical (terrible) frames but at least at a higher resolution/better AA, etc.

SRTtoZ

The game looks loads better on PS4 if that means anything...

Still don't see why they couldnt get a 1080p resolution.

Sini

Last gen seems to be back. Frame rate wise. Even image quality is worse than anything I've seen yet on current gen consoles.

Ryaaan14

Banned
This whole time "The Cloud" has actually been the name of a small team operating at Microsoft who go to developers making them offers they can't refuse. Someone write a fuckin screenplay for this pls.

nelchaar

Their first controversy was when people asked why there weren't female playable characters in the game and they gave a constantly changing set of reasons (especially after other devs and their ex-employees called them out on their first reason) and didn't even throw anyone any bones in terms of promising female playable characters in a future mainline entry.

Oh man, of course, how did I forget that jewel.

The Llama

Just to play devil's advocate here for a second, its not hard to see why they went with so many NPC's. There's been a lot of people complaining about how there's been no "nextgen gameplay" and how dead games like inFamous were. Well, Ubi tried to change that. They gave us a city that wasn't dead and tried to give "nextgen gameplay" (a term people use but which I'll never understand) and this disaster is the result.

martino

seems the dev wasn't lying....except they don't improve things enougth to get a correct framerate for laucnh

Yup i think i predicted this. On my mobile so can't check post history. The x1 week out Pyworthy the ps4. I will not be buying till price drops before £20 and second hand

Top Bottom