• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Performance Analysis: Assassin's Creed Unity (Digital Foundry)

Amir0x

Banned
For the tinfoil hatters, I'm going to start keeping track of the games MS has a marketing deal with that perform better on XBO than PS4. If there's a pattern it should emerge.

I doubt there's anything to it, but it's a simple thing to check. Enough ducks in a row, coincidence stops being a likely answer. But I can't imagine there's anything here.

J4g3r

For once, I'm glad that the game releases here on Friday.

Just cancelled my Amazon pre-order just in time. I'll wait to see if they fix this game down the line, if they don't? No sale from me.

What a god damn shame...

Kayant

I guess that CPU clock speed is finally showing pair that with the updated drivers since launch and the game being so heavy on AI otherwise it doesn't make much sense given that PS4 alwasy generally has the better framerate.

Also lool at the performance. Game is truly a mess.

This framerate is UNACCEPTABLE. I will ask for a refund as soon as I will have my copy from Amazon.

so you bought a game before there were any reviews out, without knowing how it performs, and now it's unacceptable? Perhaps if you didn't put money down in advance the publishers would've been less inclined to release a game that performs terribly.

d9b

Banned
0001_rz7g.gif
Lol!

Cat Party

It's reasonably clear this was a total rush job. The parity talk was pr speak to try to cover their asses for this shitshow.

Alienous

I don't understand the disparity. The Xbox One framerate is significantly better in some places.

The hardware should be there for the PS4 to keep up. Hopefully performance enhancements will be possible through patches and further optimisation. I won't be playing or purchasing the game until then.

jelly

Reviews could have been more harsh, that is some shoddy performance and that's before the other game flaws. Ubisoft is getting off lightly if Unity sells well.

For the tinfoil hatters, I'm going to start keeping track of the games MS has a marketing deal with that perform better on XBO than PS4. If there's a pattern it should emerge.

I doubt there's anything to it, but it's a simple thing to check. Enough ducks in a row, coincidence stops being a likely answer. But I can't imagine there's anything here.

Cant wait to see what happens with The Witcher 3 which seems to be the next in line.

CDProject have said some iffy stuff over the last few months about the subject and I dont have the boner some other people have for them so I am super suspect.

Ah well. Had high hopes for this game.

Then again, (I think?) Brotherhood on PS3 was ~20fps and I ended up enjoying that. So maybe it'll be patched slightly and will be okay?

James1o1o

Banned
We were never told the final speed of the PS4 CPU, so it is possible but highly illogical that Ubi wouldn't use GPGPU to make up the difference needed. It does beg the question as to how hard they actually tried to push the new systems.

Of course not, that would require some effort from Ubisoft.

mike4001_

So if we explain this with the slightly stronger CPU on the XB1, this means there is a lot of GPU headroom left on the PS4 that was wasted for parity. Meanining PS4 version could run with identical (terrible) frames but at least at a higher resolution/better AA, etc.

Well ... no.

While there is still GPU power left, also the CPU needs (some / not extremely) more power when rendering at higher resolutions.

I've been playing it over the last 2 days, and the X1 version definitely has frame rate issues. I notice them most when I'm indoors of all places. For example, there's one empty cathedral you have to do a puzzle in early on, and it kept having frame rate issues. Then, there was another indoor place that did as well.

Outside, it's not too bad.

Top Bottom