• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – The Fifth and Final Season |OT| "Thank you for creating me."

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenaxPure

I called this forever ago! I knew there was no way our main characters were the only machine assets. Episode was so good, def one of my top 5. I've always wanted an episode in this vein and they pulled it off so well.

Anony

i don't get it
so the machine is helping john and comp stop finch, but at the same time, the machine is helping finch go rouge?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You know, this setup (with the secondary asset team) might be the one used in possible future seasons, which I would be a bit resistant.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
As a neat easter egg, the writers used again an official response by a US politician when it comes to surveillance, this time from Obama himself.

Also, I was a bit disappointed that the President wasn't a well disguised version of Obama, considering that same highlight reel, but at least they didn't even show his face.

EDIT: I swear, if they bring back that MI6 guy from S2, the hacking girl from that recruiting game from S4, and the Judge from S1...

MartyStu

As a neat easter egg, the writers used again an official response by a US politician when it comes to surveillance, this time from Obama himself.

Also, I was a bit disappointed that the President wasn't a well disguised version of Obama, considering that same highlight reel, but at least they didn't even show his face.

EDIT: I swear, if they bring back that MI6 guy from S2, the hacking girl from that recruiting game from S4, and the Judge from S1...

I REALLY need them to bring back the judge from season one.

I am...sort of obsessed about seeing him again. In part because I love the actor, but also because I now have anticipation blue balls.

Holy fucking shit at this episode

I thought Logan Pierce tv thing in the background would just be a nice easter egg but then it came full circle

So many callbacks, just wow

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
That was awesome to see some of the former POIs come back. I always felt (or hoped) that that was an aspect that they would incorporate in the final season, before we knew this would be a shortened season, so it was a pleasant surprise. Would have been nice to have Zoe and Leon back as well. Crazy seeing what Harold is up to. The chains are certainly off now. Sucks that we're down to the last two episodes, but it's been an awesome ride.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I hope that I can forget this show, just so I can rewatch it. It's so good to go in without clue about what the episode is
I had the biggest adrenaline rush when they started showing the Relevant-One information.

i don't get it
so the machine is helping john and comp stop finch, but at the same time, the machine is helping finch go rouge?

It's not that simple. The Machine is protecting Harold (since he's Admin) and allowing him the power to do what needs to be done. So in essence, it's like Harold has permanent God Mode. However, I think the Machine is also calculating the amount of risk that Harold is putting himself through and wants to put in contingencies to make sure that Harold doesn't die.

What a great episode. I love that they showed that the Machine is setting up new teams, and they brought back some great POIs to showcase that. It's an interesting way of setting up a "Well, even if our Team Machine doesn't make it, hope is never lost. There are others." Now I'm imagining Leon and Zoe are also part of a Machine Team somewhere.

jdstorm

Banned
It's not that simple. The Machine is protecting Harold (since he's Admin) and allowing him the power to do what needs to be done. So in essence, it's like Harold has permanent God Mode. However, I think the Machine is also calculating the amount of risk that Harold is putting himself through and wants to put in contingencies to make sure that Harold doesn't die.

I think the machine has become a fully realised emotive being, and she is trying to let Finch Grieve, while keeping him safe, minimising the collateral damage and taking down samatarin.

She's a
Clevergirl.gif

Hello POI GAF, I saw this thread and thought I'd pop-in. I've been watching this show for some years and am sad this is the last season, though it's better to go out on a high-note with an actual ending that to fizzle out or be suddenly canceled.

As for the most recent episodes, I knew that some people were going to bite the bullet before the season ended, if not all of them, but I always figured Root would be the first to go. After all, unlike the rest of the cast she didn't start out as a good guy/gal, she was a pretty bad villain. Thus, her coming out of the series unscathed and happy wasn't something I ever thought would happen.

I do say I am weirded out by how everyone seems to forget that she was a murderous criminal before The Machine changed her whole view point. I liked whatever episode it was whatever season ago when she unexpectedly encountered a previous victim of hers, even though he didn't know it, and had to deal with that. I feel like since then the show has tried to forget what she was.

Anyway, I'm excited to see how it all ends. Finch just needs to burn everything down.

I now firmly believe that The Machine has recruited a shit ton of other POIs as assets. Zoe Morgan, Leon, The Judge, Peck (NSA Analyst), Saunders (Finance Guy), Caleb Phipps, Kelli Lin (the cat burglar), the three hackers, Frankie (the bounty hunter) and so on

Veelk

Banned
I now firmly believe that The Machine has recruited a shit ton of other POIs as assets. Zoe Morgan, Leon, The Judge, Peck, Saunders, Caleb Phipps, Kelli Lin (the cat burglar), the three hackers, and so on

And lets not forget all the POI's they recruit, and probably even randoms they get.

Samaritan may have Decima and the Government, but the Machine has built an army of it's own.

If Finch wasn't in such a dark place right now, he'd probably be all (the first line he says from this point anyway)

jdstorm

Banned
Hello POI GAF, I saw this thread and thought I'd pop-in. I've been watching this show for some years and am sad this is the last season, though it's better to go out on a high-note with an actual ending that to fizzle out or be suddenly canceled.

As for the most recent episodes, I knew that some people were going to bite the bullet before the season ended, if not all of them, but I always figured Root would be the first to go. After all, unlike the rest of the cast she didn't start out as a good guy/gal, she was a pretty bad villain. Thus, her coming out of the series unscathed and happy wasn't something I ever thought would happen.

I do say I am weirded out by how everyone seems to forget that she was a murderous criminal before The Machine changed her whole view point. I liked whatever episode it was whatever season ago when she unexpectedly encountered a previous victim of hers, even though he didn't know it, and had to deal with that. I feel like since then the show has tried to forget what she was.

Anyway, I'm excited to see how it all ends. Finch just needs to burn everything down.

It wasn't the machine so much as it was Finch. After Finch and Reese solved the cold case involving Roots friend she started to mellow out. Root startsd out hating humans (because of her history) and Slowly started to come around after seeing the example set by Harold. That being a good person even in the world of espionage was possible

I'm also curious if the people the Machine has been recruiting will come into play in the final episodes. We've seen since the 2nd half of S4 that the Machine has been hiring people such as Harper to assist it in various tasks. I wonder if the Machine will actively recruit those people in the fight against Samaritan.
Called it a few days ago. I figured after Finch's speech that we were going to see a lot of older PoI's return as assets for the Machine especially since that was a dangling plot line. Also ties into Team Machine's rule of 'every life matters' since most of the people's lives that they have ever saved in the show while deemed irrelevant ended up being important later on in the series.

THIS FUCKING SHOW !!!!

podcast of interest was right :D
From Season 1 they have been saying the machine chose these people for a reason and was "storing them" until the day they where needed.
OMG they where right YEARS AGO :D

AMAZING :D

Also this episode AWESOME.
I really thought that that control was helping them she has to return for the last 2 eps seriously miss her.
Can\t wait for next week!

Also all the new people here awesome welcome to have you.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
That's probably about as good as it'll get with the "past numbers mean something"

Still, the deep pull of Episode 3 (the usual episode people disliked in season 1) still lets us say "Every Episode means something!"

Definitely felt like a last retirement of "The Number's" plot point, and they go out with a highpoint.

Kookos

Great episode, and some pretty sneaky setting up for a spin-off series. It was pretty cool to see Joey, too.

Only 2 episodes left. :(

bjaelke

Took too long for me to realise they had been acquired by the machine. Kept thinking those get out of jail free cards would ruin the episode.

Chariot

Holy fuck. Dark Finch is amazing, and so is that the Machine actually made more teams, which is what I wanted since season 3. After all as good as Team Machine is, it's only a couple of people.

I hope the finale will full of ex-POIs that are now fighting the fight, showing that every saved life is precious.

Sölf

God, why can't we have a full season with Dark Finch? That one scene with the guard near the end was so damn good. Finch is now legit terrifying.

Also, second team? Okay, just continue with that one in "Persons of Interest". :D

RS4-

I don't want this show to end. Nor can I think of a show that has been consistently this good. Like, every fucking ep.

Lonestar

I didn't catch the name of the virus Finch was copying/making at that facility, but someone on Reddit said he mentioned the name "Ice-9."

That's a reference to a Kurt Vonnegut novel, and what it is, makes sense with what TM was telling him, about how his plan would kill Samaritan, but also have chaotic effect on the world.

wikipedia blurb on it:
Ice-nine is a material appearing in Kurt Vonnegut's novel Cat's Cradle. Ice-nine is supposedly a polymorph of water (invented by Dr. Felix Hoenikker[1]); instead of melting at 0 °C (32 °F), the result melts at 45.8 °C (114.4 °F). When ice-nine comes into contact with liquid water below 45.8 °C (thus effectively becoming supercooled), it acts as a seed crystal and causes the solidification of the entire body of water, which quickly crystallizes as more ice-nine. As people are mostly water, ice-nine kills nearly instantly when ingested or brought into contact with soft tissues exposed to the bloodstream, such as the eyes or tongue.
In the story, it is developed by the Manhattan Project in order for the Marines to no longer need to deal with mud, but abandoned when it becomes clear that any quantity of it would have the power to destroy all life on earth. A global catastrophe involving freezing the world's oceans with ice-nine is used as a plot device in Vonnegut's novel.

Jarrod38

pykKro9.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So thinking about this for a second, if there are other teams working numbers, why didn't anyone notice or do anything when the machine went offline?

Lonestar

So thinking about this for a second, if there are other teams working numbers, why didn't anyone notice or do anything when the machine went offline?

No one knows how long it was offline. Best Guess a month or so. But thinking about Harper's role in this, where she was an agent of the machine without knowing about it, right up until the Briefcase, so it could be possible this B-Team didn't go into effect until after the machine was back up and running. Even if they were working before it went down, they would have no clue on how to rebuild it, or where it even was located. Might not know it's an AI.

Main question I have, is how they got numbers, or even knew what it meant. Maybe they literally got written/verbal instructions from "Thornhill". But it makes sense for them to not get intel on Finch and the Gang. They knew of them from before, but probably had no way to contact them until Det. Riley's number came up, and them realizing Riley = Reese.

Do we know how far back the new team has been working on numbers? The show never really explicitly stated that. For all we know, this could have been a recent venture by the Machine (notice how she gave the new team "asset" identification after they meet up with Reese in the end).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess it's strange because the three of them as a team could only have been working together starting sometime in season 4, but it's possible that the other two could have been working earlier.

The "NYC" team has also used previous numbers as assets before too though, so it's not clear why the machine would choose some people to form teams and just let others go.

I guess the question of whether or not they knew it was a machine is a bit up in the air... but presumably they must have known that they were numbers at some point, so someone must have told them the circumstances of their interaction with the first team.

Probably best not to think about it too much. lol

Lonestar

I guess it's strange because the three of them as a team could only have been working together starting sometime in season 4, but it's possible that the other two could have been working earlier.

The "NYC" team has also used previous numbers as assets before too though, so it's not clear why the machine would choose some people to form teams and just let others go.

I guess the question of whether or not they knew it was a machine is a bit up in the air... but presumably they must have known that they were numbers at some point, so someone must have told them the circumstances of their interaction with the first team.

Probably best not to think about it too much. lol

Logan knew something was up, as he kept egging him on about it,all the way up to giving Harold that bugged watch, which Harold happily smashed and threw away.

XAL

I like that there are
more teams working for the machine.

Also, that scene with Finch just before he gets onto the elevator was fucking haunting.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

The Machine looking out for Shaw. It was cute.

Logan knew something was up, as he kept egging him on about it,all the way up to giving Harold that bugged watch, which Harold happily smashed and threw away.

Well, he really didn't throw it away, he gave it to the number (since he was a watch repairman) from "All In" from S2 so he could fix it. The watch hasn't been mentioned since then.

Guys be careful. Someone dumped the script of .exe and return 0 on pastebin (lolCBS and leaving captions on their site code).

We truly at a point of no return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom