• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

ultron87 said:
Weird, you can't even look at Amazon's page for this game. It just says it isn't available and shows a picture of the box without even telling you the title in searches.

I think Amazon's shitting the bed at the moment, I tried to search for some stuff and it wouldn't turn up any results regardless of what I searched for, and when I tried to login to my account it just refreshed the login page.

Mejilan said:
So, do the two main characters have anything even remotely approaching canonical names?
I prefer using those if such exist. I vaguely recall some uh... discussion, about the male MC in P3 and P3 FES.

PS - I'll accept names as they're used in manga, novels, etc., when the game itself doesn't specify a canonical name.
Minato Arisato is the male MC's name in the official manga adaptation. MShe doesn't have an official name, but everyone's nicknamed her Minako.

Charlie Tunoku is also acceptable.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mejilan said:
So, do the two main characters have anything even remotely approaching canonical names?
I prefer using those if such exist. I vaguely recall some uh... discussion, about the male MC in P3 and P3 FES.

PS - I'll accept names as they're used in manga, novels, etc., when the game itself doesn't specify a canonical name.

There is a manga adaptation, the male MC is called Arisato Minato.

Aww damnit. :lol

I AM JOHN! said:

Charlina!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Played through P4 and I LOVED it. Naoto is my waifu and reverse trap almighty (payback for Larsa in FFXII, god that pissed me off so much when I found out he was a guy) and Teddy and all them dudes are pretty cool guys. Will definitely be picking P3P up. Playing as the girl, since I really don't like for the dude's character design. Sure, this means no more Bro with Bro battle, like I did in P4 with Brosuke who covered my ass more than once, but it's something different and from my understanding sometimes even girls have bros. They're like fembros.

I was really debating whether to get a PSP or Wii, but I just ended up getting both this week. Oh lawdy, being a college student with lots of free time, a source of income I can depend on, and few responsibilities outside of easy core curriculum is teh win.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I AM JOHN! said:
Minato Arisato is the male MC's name in the official manga adaptation. MShe doesn't have an official name, but everyone's nicknamed her Minako.

Works for me, thanks!

Thanks to all the people who responded to my earlier question on whether I should play this or FES. I'm starting to lean towards this now.

Now I just have to decide whether to play this or Persona 1 Portable first. :p

ultron87

Random question, but does anyone happen to have a decent resolution clean version of the box art? Because it would be amazing as an iPod Touch background.

I just saw the walkthrough video on psn and lie what I saw. My only problem was that it mentioned how valuable the daytime is and it seemed possible to miss alot which for my OCD nature sucks especially how it's all tied to leveling. Tell me this really won't be a problem gaf!

Gamer @ Heart said:
I just saw the walkthrough video on psn and lie what I saw. My only problem was that it mentioned how valuable the daytime is and it seemed possible to miss alot which for my OCD nature sucks especially how it's all tied to leveling. Tell me this really won't be a problem gaf!
You will not be able to max out every Social Link or get a complete compendium in one playthrough. There are two Social Links I never even initiated in my Fes playthrough because I did not have enough time. It's just the way it is.

If I'm really bored during the summer and have nothing to play (which looks possible), I will definitely pick this up just for the female scenario.

Nekobo

To be able to play this on a TV is one of the reasons why I bought a PSP 3000 from HUELEN10 (where ever you may be, thanks!). I just hope it doesn't look too crappy an an HDTV.

I have no idea what I'm going to name the female protagonist. I usually just name the character after myself, but that's not going to work this time around. :lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I AM JOHN! said:
You will not be able to max out every Social Link or get a complete compendium in one playthrough. There are two Social Links I never even initiated in my Fes playthrough because I did not have enough time. It's just the way it is.

Well there's dedicated FAQS for getting Max S links in one play through for these games, so if using a FAQ is acceptable it's very much possible.

Though yes those FAQs tend to direct the player's day to day activities leaving little room for freedom of exploration.

tokkun

chandoog said:
Well there's dedicated FAQS for getting Max S links in one play through for these games, so if using a FAQ is acceptable it's very much possible.

Though yes those FAQs tend to direct the player's day to day activities leaving little room for freedom of exploration.

You will have to do exactly what the FAQ says for pretty much every day, though. Seems to remove most of the appeal of the game, IMO.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Freyjadour said:
Don't discount P1P though. It's a really good port/remake.

Yeah, I guess it just depends if you're okay with a first person dungeon crawl or not. I also think a large part of the charm is the S-links, so I tilt in favor of P3/4.

demonkaze

I'm in the uk and was wondering that if I pick this up off the us psn store, will I be able to transfer it over to my psp? Would rather get the psn version than wait for it to come from VG+.

Pretty excited to get back into this game. My PS3 with BC bit the dust while I was working my way through the PS2 version so I was never able to finish it. I wish FES was in it though. If I actually make it to the end of the game this time, I feel like I'll be missing the real conclusion to the story.

anddo0

I need to finish Persona 1. I played it for the first time in months.:lol I think I'm about 7 hours away from beating it. I'm definitely picking this up though.

Minamu

Shouta said:
It still amuses me that folks use a manga's name as the official one.
Why? I did the same for Suikoden 1. Feels a lot more genuine than renaming them Sean-August or whatever :lol

Shouta

Minamu said:
Why? I did the same for Suikoden 1. Feels a lot more genuine than renaming them Sean-August or whatever :lol

Because the names that pop-up in Manga are usually just ones that are picked by the person in charge of the manga and not the game itself. Then there's the fact that if there's multiple manga series for a game, they could potentially all have separate names. How would you decide then? Thankfully most folks around here refer to them as the MC.

Mejilan

Shouta said:
It still amuses me that folks use a manga's name as the official one.

I'll take a name from a manga over whatever faux-Japanese-sounding name an ignorant Westerner like me can manage to come up with.

At least Strange Journey made it easy for me because the MC is supposed to be an American. I don't really want to go through Persona 3 being called Jim Bob-san, or whatever the fuck. So all things being equal, I might as well take a name from a manga or novelization of the game.

Trust me, I'm not hard up on it like some of the fools on GameFAQs.

Really torn between the physical copy and DD, especially since I'm planning to buy a bigger Memory Stick and it might as well be put to good use...

Minamu

Shouta said:
Because the names that pop-up in Manga are usually just ones that are picked by the person in charge of the manga and not the game itself. Then there's the fact that if there's multiple manga series for a game, they could potentially all have separate names. How would you decide then? Thankfully most folks around here refer to them as the MC.
Good point. If there were multiple names circling, I'd probably go with the most popular one or make one up. For P4, I kept seeing him referred to as MC, like you say, so I decided to make those his initials.

Shouta

Mejilan said:
I'll take a name from a manga over whatever faux-Japanese-sounding name an ignorant Westerner like me can manage to come up with.

At least Strange Journey made it easy for me because the MC is supposed to be an American. I don't really want to go through Persona 3 being called Jim Bob-san, or whatever the fuck. So all things being equal, I might as well take a name from a manga or novelization of the game.

Trust me, I'm not hard up on it like some of the fools on GameFAQs.

Could come up with your name. I use a specific one I chose ages ago for all the nameless MCs that I may encounter in a Japanese game.

I AM JOHN! said:
I don't know for certain, but I'd be really surprised if you could play as a different character in New Game+. If I remember correctly, New Game+ allows you to carry over your equipment, consumables, money, and all the special items you receive from maxing out Social Links that let you fuse the ultimate arcana Persona. Unless you're playing on Maniacs (which, to answer a question asked earlier, is unlocked from the beginning), in which case you can't New Game+.

I guess well wait and see. Then I would be locked into playing as a Male or Female character and such if I ever wanted to do new game, lol.

Mejilan

Shouta said:
Could come up with your name. I use a specific one I chose ages ago for all the nameless MCs that I may encounter in a Japanese game.

Why? I don't want to.
I do that for games with character creation, not otherwise.

Top Bottom