• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mejilan said:
Why? I don't want to.
I do that for games with character creation, not otherwise.

You could use your real name and look for the wackiness of non-Japanese names with honorifics. :lol

I've played a tiny bit of the import version, and I can tell you that even though they removed a bunch of stuff from the original non-portable versions like the anime cutscenes and the 3D non-Tartarus environments, the essence of fucking badass remains. Plus you can finally play as a chick! :lol :lol

The new music is actually quite nice, and surprisingly enough Wiping All Out is an adequate substitute for the now-iconic Mass Destruction. The new opening is pretty awesome too, despite the annoying excess of Ken Amada in it.

I'm in for a Junpei cap and I intend to wear it to work everyday for a month and I hope my cow-orkers wonder what the hell the strange cap is supposed to be for. I'm tempted to tell them it's for a new soccer team or something just to confuse the shit out of them. :lol :lol

I intend to name my female MC Minako Arisato.
Because, you know, -ko is used as a suffix to mean -girl in Japanese. :lol :lol

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, I guess it just depends if you're okay with a first person dungeon crawl or not. I also think a large part of the charm is the S-links, so I tilt in favor of P3/4.
My favorite Persona games are Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment, which managed to have amazing storytelling without the need for social links.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not down on the social links or inferior art style like some of the crazies out there, but they don't do much for me. P4 handled things a LOT better than 3, but I'd still rather a more straightforward method of character development.

This will be my first experience with Persona at all and im thinking about playing as the girl simply because the guy looks like an emo dbag (no offense fans). Is he a cool dude? Will the way relationship/romance building works in this game make me feel weird as playing the opposite sex or is the tone of the writing such that a stranger on the internet wont have a problem? I know thats impossible to really judge but i am a light hearted guy but I just dont want to risk feeling weird 40 hours in if it gets too hammy and serious.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I wasn't aware that this game wouldn't have in-engine or anime cut-scenes. :\

It still has all the dialog voiced, right...?

Jigsaw

Banned
missing in-engine cutscenes is a bummer :(

will still triple dip,however i'm going to rush through on easy as i'm only want to see the new s-links

Gamer @ Heart said:
This will be my first experience with Persona at all and im thinking about playing as the girl simply because the guy looks like an emo dbag (no offense fans). Is he a cool dude?
He has no personality whatsoever outside of what you make for him. Unlike Persona 4, the MC is almost completely undefined.

remz

I AM JOHN! said:
He has no personality whatsoever outside of what you make for him. Unlike Persona 4, the MC is almost completely undefined.
Apart from the ending, and epilogue stuff I guess.

everyone seems to think he's awesome though.

Dresden

remz said:
Apart from the ending, and epilogue stuff I guess.

everyone seems to think he's awesome though.
He is awesome.

I've always pictured him as a manipulative sex-starved dbag with a heart of gold.

remz

Dresden said:
I've always pictured him as a manipulative sex-starved dbag with a heart of gold.
Bahaha, that's awesome :lol can you count him as sex starved with all the hook ups though!?

This is reminding me, I really need to finish the Answer one of these days.

I AM JOHN! said:

So there are no conversations and talking is only for how your respond to your friends? Well that might be so bad then. Still, the girl character is cute....

Lain

To keep in line with my naming of the MC in P3 FES Norio Koga, I'll name the female MC Shiina Tamai, probably.

I just read on wiki that i cant be romantically involved with Junpei as a girl so fuck it, im playing as a guy.

That sounded weird, but i thought he looked really cool and i was looking for any reason to pick a side and i found it.

I'm definitely triple-dipping as well. I only put 40 hours into the original P3 before I heard FES was being released, then I loaded data into FES and only put another 10 into it!:lol

I wonder how well the original Doublejump guide will work with the male MC's storyline and social links...

Gamer @ Heart said:
I just read on wiki that i cant be romantically involved with Junpei as a girl so fuck it, im playing as a guy.

That sounded weird, but i thought he looked really cool and i was looking for any reason to pick a side and i found it.

The worst thing is the addition of Ken Amada as one of the female MC S.Links. Ken? Really? :lol :lol

Jay Sosa

Scythesurge said:
:lol I named mine Theo Windy, it felt extremely out of place.

:lol

I use to always name them after me (well my username that is), I'm somehow feel more connected to the character if I do so.

Then switched to either going with the given name or naming them made up japanese (sounding) names (in P4 Tetsuo Awanaki) but something felt off especially if the main character has no defined personality, think I'm going back to playing with "my" name again.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
remz said:
chicks dig the shota action! Maybe?

Wasn't there loli action in Persona 3? Fuuka looked like Ken's age. :lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I want to skip this because I've had more than enough P3 with the original and The Answer in Fes but ffffff it's so hard to resist. I still have to play P4 beyond the third dungeon too.

Unknown Soldier said:
The worst thing is the addition of Ken Amada as one of the female MC S.Links. Ken? Really? :lol :lol
Ok, day one.

remz

ULTROS! said:
Wasn't there loli action in Persona 3? Fuuka looked like Ken's age. :lol
You leave Fuuka out of this!

She was as old as the MC and implyed to be well endowed, k.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'm really interested considering I gave up FES due to the teammate AI screwing me over one too many times.

But I think pricing at $40 was a mistake, double-dipping on ports of years-old games at a new game price never sits well with me. Especially considering they seemed to understand this mindset when they released FES at $30.

Shig said:
I'm really interested considering I gave up FES due to the teammate AI screwing me over one too many times.

But I think pricing at $40 was a mistake, double-dipping on ports of years-old games at a new game price never sits well with me. Especially considering they seemed to understand this mindset when they released FES at $30.

I think people will still buy it, didnt they release Persona 1 PSP for 39.99 and had "Outstanding" sells? If anything this will too.

-Though you could probably wait a month or two when amazon will have it for 19.99 and on deal of the day, Persona 1 was like that a lot

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Dedication Through Light said:
I think people will still buy it, didnt they release Persona 1 PSP for 39.99 and had "Outstanding" sells? If anything this will too.

-Though you could probably wait a month or two when amazon will have it for 19.99 and on deal of the day, Persona 1 was like that a lot
Persona 1 PSP was a total remake and had a much better translation than the original US release, though (and came bundled with a soundtrack!). This has some new stuff, granted, but largely it's a port.

I'm surprised to hear that sales of P1 were "outstanding"... That game dropped in price at retailers fast and hard.

Shig said:
Persona 1 PSP was a total remake and had a much better translation than the original US release, though (and came bundled with a soundtrack!). This has some new stuff, granted, but largely it's a port.

I'm surprised to hear that sales of P1 were "outstanding"... That game dropped in price at retailers fast and hard.

lol probably because of

"Atlus USA had a modest goal of 35,000 for Shin Megami Tensei: Persona. The remastered PSP game sold 49,000 "

So it didnt need to sell much, lol.

No_Style

Do I want to revisit P3? Hmm... I enjoyed it a lot, but I don't know about going back to it after the awesomeness that was P4. Even after the revisions.

I want that hat more than I want the game at this point. Especially at the price point.

Decisions, decisions!

Dedication Through Light said:
lol probably because of

So it didnt need to sell much, lol.
Devil Survivor was expected to sell 25,000 copies in the US and ended up selling around 40,000. That's pretty much par for the course for Atlus when it comes to SMT. They expect to sell very few copies and end up selling more, and I am pleased. Well, not for P4, which somehow managed to underperform. :'(

Surprised that that awful looking 101 in 1 bullshit sold that well, though. That's almost as many units sold on one game as P3, Fes and P4's US sales combined. No wonder they're putting out another one in August. :\

shahkur

LOL, I can't believe I'm triple dipping this game. Only played 10 hours of both the PS2 versions. So hopefully third time lucky.

One question, anyone know if the PSN version will be released on the same day as the UMD? And anyone know the price of it on PSN? I'm gonna have to use an american PSN account, as I'm from UK.

shahkur said:
LOL, I can't believe I'm triple dipping this game. Only played 10 hours of both the PS2 versions. So hopefully third time lucky.

One question, anyone know if the PSN version will be released on the same day as the UMD? And anyone know the price of it on PSN? I'm gonna have to use an american PSN account, as I'm from UK.

Based on the flyer in the other thread, it should be coming on the same date as the game for 39.99

Blueblur1

Wizpig said:
Yeah, it's awkward when they call you by surname though.
Makes me giggle every time.

Or even "...-kun", gah.
I have no qualms with being referred to as Jose-kun. But I agree with the usage of my last name. It takes me out of it whenever I see my full name onscreen. :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I can't honestly care about this version. :/ The girl main character doesn't appeal to me at all, and losing FES's "The Answer" is a huge blow to the value of the game.

But hey, you can directly control your team members! *crickets* ... Which weren't a problem so long as you know how to abuse their AI. But whatever, maybe now the P4 "OMG IT'S BETTER! YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR PARTY!" people will finally stop crying and complete the game. :/

joelseph

TheSeks said:
I can't honestly care about this version. :/ The girl main character doesn't appeal to me at all, and losing FES's "The Answer" is a huge blow to the value of the game.

But hey, you can directly control your team members! *crickets* ... Which weren't a problem so long as you know how to abuse their AI. But whatever, maybe now the P4 "OMG IT'S BETTER! YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR PARTY!" people will finally stop crying and complete the game. :/

I thought The Answer dungeon was in.

joelseph said:
I thought The Answer dungeon was in.
Dungeon, yes; story, no. Lord knows why you would want to play that content without the story bits, though.

Actually, Lord knows why you would ever want to play The Answer.

Wizpig said:
Is "Mass Destruction" still in the game, at least?
I'm pretty sure MShe has different battle music. That's fine, though, as I never want to hear Mass Destruction ever again. Unavoidable Battle and Master of Shadow are way better, anyway.

Top Bottom