• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena [EU]- MAY 10TH

Ban Puncher

They have promised "good news" to come. What exactly that could be remains to be seen. I think we can all agree it would want to be pretty fucking good.

You'll open the case and instead of a game disc there will be a card which says 'A donation has been made in your name to the Human Fund - Love Zen & Atlus'.

Ath

What do we reckon, a tenner on Zavvi by the end of June? Or maybe they'll somehow region lock it to the wrong region? It's too little, too late for this game I think. If it ever shows up on Playstation Plus I might give it a go but can't see myself buying. It's not this game I care about to be honest but the precedent that PS3 region locking could set for future Atlus games that I would care about.

I can see the nightmare scenario now. Atlus using the inevitable low sales of Persona 4 Arena as an excuse to just not even bother licensing the few titles they deem worthy for Europe out. They'll then region lock every future one of their titles, even on PS3 and Vita. After that they'll withdraw the upcoming UK release of Volume 3 of Persona 4 the Animation on Blu-ray, alllowing only a Betamax only release with the Japanese audio removed, the picture in black-and-white and the audio in Esperanto.

In 2014 they'll change their minds and try again with a European reprint of Snowboard Kids on N64 via Zen United or Ghostlight. They'll then pull out of Europe once and for all when they wonder why the silly Europeans don't buy the game they graciously offered in the region.

What a mess of a situation.

I don't think you can region lock a game to multiple reasons. So you can't release the US version and block it from working on Japanese consoles. You can only block it from working on any system but SCEA systems. It's either region free, or locked to a specific region, which is why PAL players were boned.

As far as I am aware the region locking is done via a query to the hardware region. It should be trivial to only restrict play on Japanese consoles and ignore the rest.

NekoFever

I don't think you can region lock a game to multiple reasons. So you can't release the US version and block it from working on Japanese consoles. You can only block it from working on any system but SCEA systems. It's either region free, or locked to a specific region, which is why PAL players were boned.

Really, if they were so concerned about reverse importation, they should've region locked the US version and made the more expensive Japanese version region free.
You can on the 360 and they still chose not to. Quite a lot of English-language 360 games will work on, say, US or UK machines but not Japanese ones.

It still baffles me that out of all the consumer-unfriendly publishers that I would have expected to happily region lock PS3 games if it were possible, it was this one that did it first. How on earth did we go so long without EA et al doing it?

Stuart444

I'll be buying it to support Zen mostly. Though I'm wondering if this will effect their relationship with Arc for any future Blazblue titles. (though they have done good with recent BB titles so hopefully this type of delay doesn't happen again)

In any case, wonder what the 'more good news' will be. We'll see.

Dantis

Since when is £30 full price?

£32 - £35 is the online price for all new games.

Since when do we have the price? I haven't seen an official announcement, just retailers putting it at £30, which is the price they've had it at since October.

I'm saying, assuming that £32 is the price of it, that's not a discount.

I'm not expecting a price announcement. How often does that happen with a retail title?

Omikaru

You can on the 360 and they still chose not to. Quite a lot of English-language 360 games will work on, say, US or UK machines but not Japanese ones.

That requires the game being certified for each region. So it needs a rating (i.e. ESRB for US, PEGI and various local boards like BBFC for Europe, CERO for Japan), a certification fee for each region, and other modifications that may be required for the release in that region. That's why obscure Japanese 360 games are often region locked (it's not out of spite or malice, just money and practicalities), yet games from big publishers like EA and Activision are rarely locked between Western territories. For one it is cheaper to get it certified for the only region they're planning an official/commercial release, for the other it is cheaper to get one version of the game certified in all regions.

NEO0MJ

Don't know how I feel about this. It should be released for the equivalent of $30, what they currently want is too much. I might buy it, if no sequel is announced between now and a month after release.

That requires the game being certified for each region. So it needs a rating (i.e. ESRB for US, PEGI and various local boards like BBFC for Europe, CERO for Japan), a certification fee for each region, and other modifications that may be required for the release in that region.

Which is probably one of the many reasons for the delay. They had to wait a long time until they got the 360 version for submission.

Reknoc

Too little too late. If I waited 9 months already I think I can wait a couple of weeks for it to be at a respectable price.

OMG Aero

In 2014 they'll change their minds and try again with a European reprint of Snowboard Kids on N64 via Zen United or Ghostlight. They'll then pull out of Europe once and for all when they wonder why the silly Europeans don't buy the game they graciously offered in the region.
Oh man I would buy a reprint of Snowboard Kids. That game was awesome.

Other

If I were to hazard a guess I'd say that Arc decided to focus on the arcade release of BlazBlue Chronophantasma and the psn/xbla versions of Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R instead of doing the P4a localisation work. Arc isn't that big a company and it wouldn't be that odd for them to be unable to spare the staff needed for the PAL P4A release if they had other stuff going on. Of course if that's true, or close enough, then if they had thought ahead and did the needed work while they were making the NTSC console version and the right staff were already working on the game this whole debacle could have been avoided.

FluxWaveZ

2460261-ps4_arena_limited.jpg

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
More pre order bullshit! This time retailer exclusive too!

How about giving it with every copy of the game in the whole Europe if you want to give a nice gesture for the wait. They could have made a nice LE with all that shit inside, but no, they went with all the pre order and exclusive crap

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
lol

They are making up for the ridiculously late release with a GAME exclusive pre-order bonus? I think they failed just about every way they could with this game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Unless you are a hardcore persona fan this game isn't really worth dropping cash down on. Rent it to the see the story at most if anything. If you want a good fighting game just wait for BBCP
for 9 months after everyone else gets it

Shahed

How on earth does GAME still get exclusives? It's really annoying. Not that I was gonna buy this anymore regardless, but I hate the retailer exclusive practise

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Unless you are a hardcore persona fan this game isn't really worth dropping cash down on. Rent it to the see the story at most if anything. If you want a good fighting game just wait for BBCP
for 9 months after everyone else gets it

At least BBCP won't be region locked.
Or maybe it will

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Cool, some store that does not ship to continental Europe gets a frisbee.

And in June:

"Due to low sales of Persona 4 Arena, we at Zen will be ending our agreement wiith Atlus and not be releasing any future Shin Megami Tensei titles. Furthermore, Atlus feel that the minimal sales received from PAL regions are not worth the effort and will not be pursuing any other publishing partnerships going forward."

Please understand.

I think the chances are more high that Atlus will think twice about doing business with these gangsters rather than just ignore a region.
I mean they just released Golden a few months ago.

Vexxan

Pre-order at GAME of all places to get a vinyl...yeah right. Safe to assume this was the big thing they were hyping? Not really feeling satisfied with this, I'm afraid.

While the bonus is cool, it's VERY disappointing they made this game.co.uk only, I really don't like that shop.

Here's hoping that they will still offer a proper LE...

I think the chances are more high that Atlus will think twice about doing business with these gangsters rather than just ignore a region.
I mean they just released Golden a few months ago.

Presumably as a direct result of someone at NIS America stealing the code from Atlus. Even then, they took four months to release a version that, from what I can tell, was identical to the US version, right down to the "Atlus Faithful" link in the Livescreen.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I would have been all over dat wax if the game, you know, came out half a fucking year ago. But I simply refuse to pay full price for this, let alone pre order it.

Conan-san

Yeah, no, Atlus and Zen can both collectively fuck off and die for all I care.

Really, if their best is a shitty little CD which is probably on YouTube, a pack of wallpapers and a record of previously stated shitty little CD already on YouTube then the game might as well have never come out.

sn00zer

Yeah, no, Atlus and Zen can both collectively fuck off and die for all I care.

Really, if their best is a shitty little CD which is probably on YouTube, a pack of wallpapers and a record of previously stated shitty little CD already on YouTube then the game might as well have never come out.

You mean 12" vinyl?

I promised myself not to buy this due to all the straight insulting shit Atlus has commited with this game. But, then again, after all maybe I fall...

But seriously Atlus Don't keep on treating us EU fans like second class peasants.

Conan-san

You mean 12" vinyl?
Oh don't call it that, it's a fucking Record.

A piece of tat that is useless for about 99.999999% of Europeans who would be interested in playing P4A even after all of this bullshit.

The ven diagram of people who own a fucking record player (or mixing deck) and people who want to play persona 4 arena and are in Europe and haven't checked out due to the massive amout of shit that got put in frount of them is two seperate circles.

Top Bottom